Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Problems With CD Drive...

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 1:14:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

my cd drive has stopped working! it shows up in windows explorer and device
manager. however, in device manager, it says udnerneath 'this device is not
working properly'. i can't load any cds in windows from the cd drive, and my
cd burning software does not recognise it, so i can't burn cds. what should i
do?

More about : problems drive

August 12, 2005 4:39:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Take it to a shop. I had that happen with my CD Burner.....none of the
burner software or Windows Explorer would recognize that there was a blank
CD in the drive. Turned out that the connection (IDE ribbon?) was no good
and Willy replaced it. Works fine now. In fact, he burned a music CD just
to make sure before I left with it.

Cheers....Heather

"jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:CF8AB0B1-5D8A-41F4-B029-7FEBA67E757C@microsoft.com...
> my cd drive has stopped working! it shows up in windows explorer and
device
> manager. however, in device manager, it says udnerneath 'this device is
not
> working properly'. i can't load any cds in windows from the cd drive, and
my
> cd burning software does not recognise it, so i can't burn cds. what
should i
> do?
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 4:39:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

update on the situation: i just tried some other cds. some of them work n i
managed 2 install of 1. however many different cd writing programs i try,
none of them work tho! :( 

"Heather" wrote:

> Take it to a shop. I had that happen with my CD Burner.....none of the
> burner software or Windows Explorer would recognize that there was a blank
> CD in the drive. Turned out that the connection (IDE ribbon?) was no good
> and Willy replaced it. Works fine now. In fact, he burned a music CD just
> to make sure before I left with it.
>
> Cheers....Heather
>
> "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:CF8AB0B1-5D8A-41F4-B029-7FEBA67E757C@microsoft.com...
> > my cd drive has stopped working! it shows up in windows explorer and
> device
> > manager. however, in device manager, it says udnerneath 'this device is
> not
> > working properly'. i can't load any cds in windows from the cd drive, and
> my
> > cd burning software does not recognise it, so i can't burn cds. what
> should i
> > do?
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 4:39:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

i've also noticed, it now says in device manage 'this device IS working
properly', when it's obviously not! still can't burn cds!

"jclmusic" wrote:

> update on the situation: i just tried some other cds. some of them work n i
> managed 2 install of 1. however many different cd writing programs i try,
> none of them work tho! :( 
>
> "Heather" wrote:
>
> > Take it to a shop. I had that happen with my CD Burner.....none of the
> > burner software or Windows Explorer would recognize that there was a blank
> > CD in the drive. Turned out that the connection (IDE ribbon?) was no good
> > and Willy replaced it. Works fine now. In fact, he burned a music CD just
> > to make sure before I left with it.
> >
> > Cheers....Heather
> >
> > "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:CF8AB0B1-5D8A-41F4-B029-7FEBA67E757C@microsoft.com...
> > > my cd drive has stopped working! it shows up in windows explorer and
> > device
> > > manager. however, in device manager, it says udnerneath 'this device is
> > not
> > > working properly'. i can't load any cds in windows from the cd drive, and
> > my
> > > cd burning software does not recognise it, so i can't burn cds. what
> > should i
> > > do?
> >
> >
> >
August 12, 2005 4:40:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

PS......in Device Manager, it said the same as yours does.

HF
"jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:CF8AB0B1-5D8A-41F4-B029-7FEBA67E757C@microsoft.com...
> my cd drive has stopped working! it shows up in windows explorer and
device
> manager. however, in device manager, it says udnerneath 'this device is
not
> working properly'. i can't load any cds in windows from the cd drive, and
my
> cd burning software does not recognise it, so i can't burn cds. what
should i
> do?
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 12:20:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Try a Lens Cleaning CD (obtainable from most audio CD stores) - with a bit
of luck, may only be a dirty lens/laser. - But your potted history suggests
there may be worse. You may then have to determine whether it's a hardware
(CD-ROM) or WinMe issue.

Mart


"jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:0D91DD6B-DAF5-4E07-80F2-8690E8B0E5F9@microsoft.com...
> i've also noticed, it now says in device manage 'this device IS working
> properly', when it's obviously not! still can't burn cds!
>
> "jclmusic" wrote:
>
>> update on the situation: i just tried some other cds. some of them work n
>> i
>> managed 2 install of 1. however many different cd writing programs i try,
>> none of them work tho! :( 
>>
>> "Heather" wrote:
>>
>> > Take it to a shop. I had that happen with my CD Burner.....none of the
>> > burner software or Windows Explorer would recognize that there was a
>> > blank
>> > CD in the drive. Turned out that the connection (IDE ribbon?) was no
>> > good
>> > and Willy replaced it. Works fine now. In fact, he burned a music CD
>> > just
>> > to make sure before I left with it.
>> >
>> > Cheers....Heather
>> >
>> > "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > news:CF8AB0B1-5D8A-41F4-B029-7FEBA67E757C@microsoft.com...
>> > > my cd drive has stopped working! it shows up in windows explorer and
>> > device
>> > > manager. however, in device manager, it says udnerneath 'this device
>> > > is
>> > not
>> > > working properly'. i can't load any cds in windows from the cd drive,
>> > > and
>> > my
>> > > cd burning software does not recognise it, so i can't burn cds. what
>> > should i
>> > > do?
>> >
>> >
>> >
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 12:20:49 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

it happened after i accidently installed linux. then it's been like this
since i got windows back. so i assumed it was ME?

"Mart" wrote:

> Try a Lens Cleaning CD (obtainable from most audio CD stores) - with a bit
> of luck, may only be a dirty lens/laser. - But your potted history suggests
> there may be worse. You may then have to determine whether it's a hardware
> (CD-ROM) or WinMe issue.
>
> Mart
>
>
> "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:0D91DD6B-DAF5-4E07-80F2-8690E8B0E5F9@microsoft.com...
> > i've also noticed, it now says in device manage 'this device IS working
> > properly', when it's obviously not! still can't burn cds!
> >
> > "jclmusic" wrote:
> >
> >> update on the situation: i just tried some other cds. some of them work n
> >> i
> >> managed 2 install of 1. however many different cd writing programs i try,
> >> none of them work tho! :( 
> >>
> >> "Heather" wrote:
> >>
> >> > Take it to a shop. I had that happen with my CD Burner.....none of the
> >> > burner software or Windows Explorer would recognize that there was a
> >> > blank
> >> > CD in the drive. Turned out that the connection (IDE ribbon?) was no
> >> > good
> >> > and Willy replaced it. Works fine now. In fact, he burned a music CD
> >> > just
> >> > to make sure before I left with it.
> >> >
> >> > Cheers....Heather
> >> >
> >> > "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> > news:CF8AB0B1-5D8A-41F4-B029-7FEBA67E757C@microsoft.com...
> >> > > my cd drive has stopped working! it shows up in windows explorer and
> >> > device
> >> > > manager. however, in device manager, it says udnerneath 'this device
> >> > > is
> >> > not
> >> > > working properly'. i can't load any cds in windows from the cd drive,
> >> > > and
> >> > my
> >> > > cd burning software does not recognise it, so i can't burn cds. what
> >> > should i
> >> > > do?
> >> >
> >> >
> >> >
>
>
>
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 12:48:20 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

jclmusic:
Your question: what should I do?
My answer: get a new CD-Rom drive, unless you want to reinstall your old
one.

Harry.



"jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:CF8AB0B1-5D8A-41F4-B029-7FEBA67E757C@microsoft.com...
> my cd drive has stopped working! it shows up in windows explorer and
device
> manager. however, in device manager, it says udnerneath 'this device is
not
> working properly'. i can't load any cds in windows from the cd drive, and
my
> cd burning software does not recognise it, so i can't burn cds. what
should i
> do?
August 13, 2005 1:00:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Harry.....why would he want to reinstall his *old one*......it isn't
working. He should take his computer to a reputable tech and get it checked
out.

Heather

"webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
news:uES5PB6nFHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> jclmusic:
> Your question: what should I do?
> My answer: get a new CD-Rom drive, unless you want to reinstall your old
> one.
>
> Harry.
>
>
>
> "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:CF8AB0B1-5D8A-41F4-B029-7FEBA67E757C@microsoft.com...
> > my cd drive has stopped working! it shows up in windows explorer and
> device
> > manager. however, in device manager, it says udnerneath 'this device is
> not
> > working properly'. i can't load any cds in windows from the cd drive,
and
> my
> > cd burning software does not recognise it, so i can't burn cds. what
> should i
> > do?
>
>
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 1:19:22 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

You install Linux, and get problems - and the problem is from ME?>?????

THINK!!

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

"jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:FCFF608E-68F2-4561-8C30-153A788CE4D6@microsoft.com...
> it happened after i accidently installed linux. then it's been like this
> since i got windows back. so i assumed it was ME?
>
> "Mart" wrote:
>
>> Try a Lens Cleaning CD (obtainable from most audio CD stores) - with a
>> bit
>> of luck, may only be a dirty lens/laser. - But your potted history
>> suggests
>> there may be worse. You may then have to determine whether it's a
>> hardware
>> (CD-ROM) or WinMe issue.
>>
>> Mart
>>
>>
>> "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:0D91DD6B-DAF5-4E07-80F2-8690E8B0E5F9@microsoft.com...
>> > i've also noticed, it now says in device manage 'this device IS working
>> > properly', when it's obviously not! still can't burn cds!
>> >
>> > "jclmusic" wrote:
>> >
>> >> update on the situation: i just tried some other cds. some of them
>> >> work n
>> >> i
>> >> managed 2 install of 1. however many different cd writing programs i
>> >> try,
>> >> none of them work tho! :( 
>> >>
>> >> "Heather" wrote:
>> >>
>> >> > Take it to a shop. I had that happen with my CD Burner.....none of
>> >> > the
>> >> > burner software or Windows Explorer would recognize that there was a
>> >> > blank
>> >> > CD in the drive. Turned out that the connection (IDE ribbon?) was
>> >> > no
>> >> > good
>> >> > and Willy replaced it. Works fine now. In fact, he burned a music
>> >> > CD
>> >> > just
>> >> > to make sure before I left with it.
>> >> >
>> >> > Cheers....Heather
>> >> >
>> >> > "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >> > news:CF8AB0B1-5D8A-41F4-B029-7FEBA67E757C@microsoft.com...
>> >> > > my cd drive has stopped working! it shows up in windows explorer
>> >> > > and
>> >> > device
>> >> > > manager. however, in device manager, it says udnerneath 'this
>> >> > > device
>> >> > > is
>> >> > not
>> >> > > working properly'. i can't load any cds in windows from the cd
>> >> > > drive,
>> >> > > and
>> >> > my
>> >> > > cd burning software does not recognise it, so i can't burn cds.
>> >> > > what
>> >> > should i
>> >> > > do?
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> >
>>
>>
>>
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 1:19:23 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

lol, u don't get what i meant. i mean linux must have messed up windows. so
how can i fix that? i would just scrub everythin n start again, but i need
the cd writer 2 back up my stuff before i do that!

"Noel Paton" wrote:

> You install Linux, and get problems - and the problem is from ME?>?????
>
> THINK!!
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>
> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>
> "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:FCFF608E-68F2-4561-8C30-153A788CE4D6@microsoft.com...
> > it happened after i accidently installed linux. then it's been like this
> > since i got windows back. so i assumed it was ME?
> >
> > "Mart" wrote:
> >
> >> Try a Lens Cleaning CD (obtainable from most audio CD stores) - with a
> >> bit
> >> of luck, may only be a dirty lens/laser. - But your potted history
> >> suggests
> >> there may be worse. You may then have to determine whether it's a
> >> hardware
> >> (CD-ROM) or WinMe issue.
> >>
> >> Mart
> >>
> >>
> >> "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:0D91DD6B-DAF5-4E07-80F2-8690E8B0E5F9@microsoft.com...
> >> > i've also noticed, it now says in device manage 'this device IS working
> >> > properly', when it's obviously not! still can't burn cds!
> >> >
> >> > "jclmusic" wrote:
> >> >
> >> >> update on the situation: i just tried some other cds. some of them
> >> >> work n
> >> >> i
> >> >> managed 2 install of 1. however many different cd writing programs i
> >> >> try,
> >> >> none of them work tho! :( 
> >> >>
> >> >> "Heather" wrote:
> >> >>
> >> >> > Take it to a shop. I had that happen with my CD Burner.....none of
> >> >> > the
> >> >> > burner software or Windows Explorer would recognize that there was a
> >> >> > blank
> >> >> > CD in the drive. Turned out that the connection (IDE ribbon?) was
> >> >> > no
> >> >> > good
> >> >> > and Willy replaced it. Works fine now. In fact, he burned a music
> >> >> > CD
> >> >> > just
> >> >> > to make sure before I left with it.
> >> >> >
> >> >> > Cheers....Heather
> >> >> >
> >> >> > "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> >> > news:CF8AB0B1-5D8A-41F4-B029-7FEBA67E757C@microsoft.com...
> >> >> > > my cd drive has stopped working! it shows up in windows explorer
> >> >> > > and
> >> >> > device
> >> >> > > manager. however, in device manager, it says udnerneath 'this
> >> >> > > device
> >> >> > > is
> >> >> > not
> >> >> > > working properly'. i can't load any cds in windows from the cd
> >> >> > > drive,
> >> >> > > and
> >> >> > my
> >> >> > > cd burning software does not recognise it, so i can't burn cds.
> >> >> > > what
> >> >> > should i
> >> >> > > do?
> >> >> >
> >> >> >
> >> >> >
> >>
> >>
> >>
>
>
>
August 13, 2005 1:19:24 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

LOL!! It is extremely simple. Take it to a computer tech and get the
durned CD drive fixed, back up your stuff and then clean up your computer.
Or did I miss something here......grin.

Heather

"jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E812DF3A-79A4-493B-961F-094440BE4690@microsoft.com...
> lol, u don't get what i meant. i mean linux must have messed up windows.
so
> how can i fix that? i would just scrub everythin n start again, but i need
> the cd writer 2 back up my stuff before i do that!
>
> "Noel Paton" wrote:
>
> > You install Linux, and get problems - and the problem is from ME?>?????
> >
> > THINK!!
> >
> > --
> > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> >
> > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
> >
> > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
NG's
> >
> > "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:FCFF608E-68F2-4561-8C30-153A788CE4D6@microsoft.com...
> > > it happened after i accidently installed linux. then it's been like
this
> > > since i got windows back. so i assumed it was ME?
> > >
> > > "Mart" wrote:
> > >
> > >> Try a Lens Cleaning CD (obtainable from most audio CD stores) - with
a
> > >> bit
> > >> of luck, may only be a dirty lens/laser. - But your potted history
> > >> suggests
> > >> there may be worse. You may then have to determine whether it's a
> > >> hardware
> > >> (CD-ROM) or WinMe issue.
> > >>
> > >> Mart
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >> news:0D91DD6B-DAF5-4E07-80F2-8690E8B0E5F9@microsoft.com...
> > >> > i've also noticed, it now says in device manage 'this device IS
working
> > >> > properly', when it's obviously not! still can't burn cds!
> > >> >
> > >> > "jclmusic" wrote:
> > >> >
> > >> >> update on the situation: i just tried some other cds. some of them
> > >> >> work n
> > >> >> i
> > >> >> managed 2 install of 1. however many different cd writing programs
i
> > >> >> try,
> > >> >> none of them work tho! :( 
> > >> >>
> > >> >> "Heather" wrote:
> > >> >>
> > >> >> > Take it to a shop. I had that happen with my CD Burner.....none
of
> > >> >> > the
> > >> >> > burner software or Windows Explorer would recognize that there
was a
> > >> >> > blank
> > >> >> > CD in the drive. Turned out that the connection (IDE ribbon?)
was
> > >> >> > no
> > >> >> > good
> > >> >> > and Willy replaced it. Works fine now. In fact, he burned a
music
> > >> >> > CD
> > >> >> > just
> > >> >> > to make sure before I left with it.
> > >> >> >
> > >> >> > Cheers....Heather
> > >> >> >
> > >> >> > "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >> >> > news:CF8AB0B1-5D8A-41F4-B029-7FEBA67E757C@microsoft.com...
> > >> >> > > my cd drive has stopped working! it shows up in windows
explorer
> > >> >> > > and
> > >> >> > device
> > >> >> > > manager. however, in device manager, it says udnerneath 'this
> > >> >> > > device
> > >> >> > > is
> > >> >> > not
> > >> >> > > working properly'. i can't load any cds in windows from the cd
> > >> >> > > drive,
> > >> >> > > and
> > >> >> > my
> > >> >> > > cd burning software does not recognise it, so i can't burn
cds.
> > >> >> > > what
> > >> >> > should i
> > >> >> > > do?
> > >> >> >
> > >> >> >
> > >> >> >
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> >
> >
> >
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 1:19:24 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

jclmusic:
You didn't say whether you tried to replace the cable!
And as a next step, cleaned the drive?
How about it???

Harry.


"jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E812DF3A-79A4-493B-961F-094440BE4690@microsoft.com...
> lol, u don't get what i meant. i mean linux must have messed up windows.
so
> how can i fix that? i would just scrub everythin n start again, but i need
> the cd writer 2 back up my stuff before i do that!
>
> "Noel Paton" wrote:
>
> > You install Linux, and get problems - and the problem is from ME?>?????
> >
> > THINK!!
> >
> > --
> > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> >
> > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
> >
> > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
NG's
> >
> > "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:FCFF608E-68F2-4561-8C30-153A788CE4D6@microsoft.com...
> > > it happened after i accidently installed linux. then it's been like
this
> > > since i got windows back. so i assumed it was ME?
> > >
> > > "Mart" wrote:
> > >
> > >> Try a Lens Cleaning CD (obtainable from most audio CD stores) - with
a
> > >> bit
> > >> of luck, may only be a dirty lens/laser. - But your potted history
> > >> suggests
> > >> there may be worse. You may then have to determine whether it's a
> > >> hardware
> > >> (CD-ROM) or WinMe issue.
> > >>
> > >> Mart
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >> news:0D91DD6B-DAF5-4E07-80F2-8690E8B0E5F9@microsoft.com...
> > >> > i've also noticed, it now says in device manage 'this device IS
working
> > >> > properly', when it's obviously not! still can't burn cds!
> > >> >
> > >> > "jclmusic" wrote:
> > >> >
> > >> >> update on the situation: i just tried some other cds. some of them
> > >> >> work n
> > >> >> i
> > >> >> managed 2 install of 1. however many different cd writing programs
i
> > >> >> try,
> > >> >> none of them work tho! :( 
> > >> >>
> > >> >> "Heather" wrote:
> > >> >>
> > >> >> > Take it to a shop. I had that happen with my CD Burner.....none
of
> > >> >> > the
> > >> >> > burner software or Windows Explorer would recognize that there
was a
> > >> >> > blank
> > >> >> > CD in the drive. Turned out that the connection (IDE ribbon?)
was
> > >> >> > no
> > >> >> > good
> > >> >> > and Willy replaced it. Works fine now. In fact, he burned a
music
> > >> >> > CD
> > >> >> > just
> > >> >> > to make sure before I left with it.
> > >> >> >
> > >> >> > Cheers....Heather
> > >> >> >
> > >> >> > "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >> >> > news:CF8AB0B1-5D8A-41F4-B029-7FEBA67E757C@microsoft.com...
> > >> >> > > my cd drive has stopped working! it shows up in windows
explorer
> > >> >> > > and
> > >> >> > device
> > >> >> > > manager. however, in device manager, it says udnerneath 'this
> > >> >> > > device
> > >> >> > > is
> > >> >> > not
> > >> >> > > working properly'. i can't load any cds in windows from the cd
> > >> >> > > drive,
> > >> >> > > and
> > >> >> > my
> > >> >> > > cd burning software does not recognise it, so i can't burn
cds.
> > >> >> > > what
> > >> >> > should i
> > >> >> > > do?
> > >> >> >
> > >> >> >
> > >> >> >
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> >
> >
> >
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 1:19:25 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

there's a way 2 fix it without losing all ur stuff?

"Heather" wrote:

> LOL!! It is extremely simple. Take it to a computer tech and get the
> durned CD drive fixed, back up your stuff and then clean up your computer.
> Or did I miss something here......grin.
>
> Heather
>
> "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:E812DF3A-79A4-493B-961F-094440BE4690@microsoft.com...
> > lol, u don't get what i meant. i mean linux must have messed up windows.
> so
> > how can i fix that? i would just scrub everythin n start again, but i need
> > the cd writer 2 back up my stuff before i do that!
> >
> > "Noel Paton" wrote:
> >
> > > You install Linux, and get problems - and the problem is from ME?>?????
> > >
> > > THINK!!
> > >
> > > --
> > > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> > >
> > > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> > > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> > >
> > > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
> > >
> > > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
> NG's
> > >
> > > "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > news:FCFF608E-68F2-4561-8C30-153A788CE4D6@microsoft.com...
> > > > it happened after i accidently installed linux. then it's been like
> this
> > > > since i got windows back. so i assumed it was ME?
> > > >
> > > > "Mart" wrote:
> > > >
> > > >> Try a Lens Cleaning CD (obtainable from most audio CD stores) - with
> a
> > > >> bit
> > > >> of luck, may only be a dirty lens/laser. - But your potted history
> > > >> suggests
> > > >> there may be worse. You may then have to determine whether it's a
> > > >> hardware
> > > >> (CD-ROM) or WinMe issue.
> > > >>
> > > >> Mart
> > > >>
> > > >>
> > > >> "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > >> news:0D91DD6B-DAF5-4E07-80F2-8690E8B0E5F9@microsoft.com...
> > > >> > i've also noticed, it now says in device manage 'this device IS
> working
> > > >> > properly', when it's obviously not! still can't burn cds!
> > > >> >
> > > >> > "jclmusic" wrote:
> > > >> >
> > > >> >> update on the situation: i just tried some other cds. some of them
> > > >> >> work n
> > > >> >> i
> > > >> >> managed 2 install of 1. however many different cd writing programs
> i
> > > >> >> try,
> > > >> >> none of them work tho! :( 
> > > >> >>
> > > >> >> "Heather" wrote:
> > > >> >>
> > > >> >> > Take it to a shop. I had that happen with my CD Burner.....none
> of
> > > >> >> > the
> > > >> >> > burner software or Windows Explorer would recognize that there
> was a
> > > >> >> > blank
> > > >> >> > CD in the drive. Turned out that the connection (IDE ribbon?)
> was
> > > >> >> > no
> > > >> >> > good
> > > >> >> > and Willy replaced it. Works fine now. In fact, he burned a
> music
> > > >> >> > CD
> > > >> >> > just
> > > >> >> > to make sure before I left with it.
> > > >> >> >
> > > >> >> > Cheers....Heather
> > > >> >> >
> > > >> >> > "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > >> >> > news:CF8AB0B1-5D8A-41F4-B029-7FEBA67E757C@microsoft.com...
> > > >> >> > > my cd drive has stopped working! it shows up in windows
> explorer
> > > >> >> > > and
> > > >> >> > device
> > > >> >> > > manager. however, in device manager, it says udnerneath 'this
> > > >> >> > > device
> > > >> >> > > is
> > > >> >> > not
> > > >> >> > > working properly'. i can't load any cds in windows from the cd
> > > >> >> > > drive,
> > > >> >> > > and
> > > >> >> > my
> > > >> >> > > cd burning software does not recognise it, so i can't burn
> cds.
> > > >> >> > > what
> > > >> >> > should i
> > > >> >> > > do?
> > > >> >> >
> > > >> >> >
> > > >> >> >
> > > >>
> > > >>
> > > >>
> > >
> > >
> > >
>
>
>
August 13, 2005 1:19:26 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Yes......I told you that yesterday!! You say that your CD burner will not
work. I told you I had the same problem. A computer tech replaced a part
that was not working. Didn't cost much.

IOW.....stop messing around and take it to a competent tech.....no one here
can fix your CD drive if it is a hardware problem.

Heather (must remember to do a backup)

"jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:B535DE34-6733-4112-886E-C73B322D38CA@microsoft.com...
> there's a way 2 fix it without losing all ur stuff?
>
> "Heather" wrote:
>
> > LOL!! It is extremely simple. Take it to a computer tech and get the
> > durned CD drive fixed, back up your stuff and then clean up your
computer.
> > Or did I miss something here......grin.
> >
> > Heather
> >
> > "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:E812DF3A-79A4-493B-961F-094440BE4690@microsoft.com...
> > > lol, u don't get what i meant. i mean linux must have messed up
windows.
> > so
> > > how can i fix that? i would just scrub everythin n start again, but i
need
> > > the cd writer 2 back up my stuff before i do that!
> > >
> > > "Noel Paton" wrote:
> > >
> > > > You install Linux, and get problems - and the problem is from
ME?>?????
> > > >
> > > > THINK!!
> > > >
> > > > --
> > > > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> > > >
> > > > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> > > > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> > > >
> > > > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
> > > >
> > > > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
> > NG's
> > > >
> > > > "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > > news:FCFF608E-68F2-4561-8C30-153A788CE4D6@microsoft.com...
> > > > > it happened after i accidently installed linux. then it's been
like
> > this
> > > > > since i got windows back. so i assumed it was ME?
> > > > >
> > > > > "Mart" wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > >> Try a Lens Cleaning CD (obtainable from most audio CD stores) -
with
> > a
> > > > >> bit
> > > > >> of luck, may only be a dirty lens/laser. - But your potted
history
> > > > >> suggests
> > > > >> there may be worse. You may then have to determine whether it's a
> > > > >> hardware
> > > > >> (CD-ROM) or WinMe issue.
> > > > >>
> > > > >> Mart
> > > > >>
> > > > >>
> > > > >> "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > > >> news:0D91DD6B-DAF5-4E07-80F2-8690E8B0E5F9@microsoft.com...
> > > > >> > i've also noticed, it now says in device manage 'this device IS
> > working
> > > > >> > properly', when it's obviously not! still can't burn cds!
> > > > >> >
> > > > >> > "jclmusic" wrote:
> > > > >> >
> > > > >> >> update on the situation: i just tried some other cds. some of
them
> > > > >> >> work n
> > > > >> >> i
> > > > >> >> managed 2 install of 1. however many different cd writing
programs
> > i
> > > > >> >> try,
> > > > >> >> none of them work tho! :( 
> > > > >> >>
> > > > >> >> "Heather" wrote:
> > > > >> >>
> > > > >> >> > Take it to a shop. I had that happen with my CD
Burner.....none
> > of
> > > > >> >> > the
> > > > >> >> > burner software or Windows Explorer would recognize that
there
> > was a
> > > > >> >> > blank
> > > > >> >> > CD in the drive. Turned out that the connection (IDE
ribbon?)
> > was
> > > > >> >> > no
> > > > >> >> > good
> > > > >> >> > and Willy replaced it. Works fine now. In fact, he burned
a
> > music
> > > > >> >> > CD
> > > > >> >> > just
> > > > >> >> > to make sure before I left with it.
> > > > >> >> >
> > > > >> >> > Cheers....Heather
> > > > >> >> >
> > > > >> >> > "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> > > > >> >> > news:CF8AB0B1-5D8A-41F4-B029-7FEBA67E757C@microsoft.com...
> > > > >> >> > > my cd drive has stopped working! it shows up in windows
> > explorer
> > > > >> >> > > and
> > > > >> >> > device
> > > > >> >> > > manager. however, in device manager, it says udnerneath
'this
> > > > >> >> > > device
> > > > >> >> > > is
> > > > >> >> > not
> > > > >> >> > > working properly'. i can't load any cds in windows from
the cd
> > > > >> >> > > drive,
> > > > >> >> > > and
> > > > >> >> > my
> > > > >> >> > > cd burning software does not recognise it, so i can't burn
> > cds.
> > > > >> >> > > what
> > > > >> >> > should i
> > > > >> >> > > do?
> > > > >> >> >
> > > > >> >> >
> > > > >> >> >
> > > > >>
> > > > >>
> > > > >>
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> >
> >
> >
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 1:19:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

no, no, no, lol. how can it be a hardware problem if it's cos linux messed it
up? there must be a way 2 put rite what it's done.

"Heather" wrote:

> Yes......I told you that yesterday!! You say that your CD burner will not
> work. I told you I had the same problem. A computer tech replaced a part
> that was not working. Didn't cost much.
>
> IOW.....stop messing around and take it to a competent tech.....no one here
> can fix your CD drive if it is a hardware problem.
>
> Heather (must remember to do a backup)
>
> "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:B535DE34-6733-4112-886E-C73B322D38CA@microsoft.com...
> > there's a way 2 fix it without losing all ur stuff?
> >
> > "Heather" wrote:
> >
> > > LOL!! It is extremely simple. Take it to a computer tech and get the
> > > durned CD drive fixed, back up your stuff and then clean up your
> computer.
> > > Or did I miss something here......grin.
> > >
> > > Heather
> > >
> > > "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > news:E812DF3A-79A4-493B-961F-094440BE4690@microsoft.com...
> > > > lol, u don't get what i meant. i mean linux must have messed up
> windows.
> > > so
> > > > how can i fix that? i would just scrub everythin n start again, but i
> need
> > > > the cd writer 2 back up my stuff before i do that!
> > > >
> > > > "Noel Paton" wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > You install Linux, and get problems - and the problem is from
> ME?>?????
> > > > >
> > > > > THINK!!
> > > > >
> > > > > --
> > > > > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> > > > >
> > > > > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> > > > > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> > > > >
> > > > > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
> > > > >
> > > > > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
> > > NG's
> > > > >
> > > > > "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > > > news:FCFF608E-68F2-4561-8C30-153A788CE4D6@microsoft.com...
> > > > > > it happened after i accidently installed linux. then it's been
> like
> > > this
> > > > > > since i got windows back. so i assumed it was ME?
> > > > > >
> > > > > > "Mart" wrote:
> > > > > >
> > > > > >> Try a Lens Cleaning CD (obtainable from most audio CD stores) -
> with
> > > a
> > > > > >> bit
> > > > > >> of luck, may only be a dirty lens/laser. - But your potted
> history
> > > > > >> suggests
> > > > > >> there may be worse. You may then have to determine whether it's a
> > > > > >> hardware
> > > > > >> (CD-ROM) or WinMe issue.
> > > > > >>
> > > > > >> Mart
> > > > > >>
> > > > > >>
> > > > > >> "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > > > >> news:0D91DD6B-DAF5-4E07-80F2-8690E8B0E5F9@microsoft.com...
> > > > > >> > i've also noticed, it now says in device manage 'this device IS
> > > working
> > > > > >> > properly', when it's obviously not! still can't burn cds!
> > > > > >> >
> > > > > >> > "jclmusic" wrote:
> > > > > >> >
> > > > > >> >> update on the situation: i just tried some other cds. some of
> them
> > > > > >> >> work n
> > > > > >> >> i
> > > > > >> >> managed 2 install of 1. however many different cd writing
> programs
> > > i
> > > > > >> >> try,
> > > > > >> >> none of them work tho! :( 
> > > > > >> >>
> > > > > >> >> "Heather" wrote:
> > > > > >> >>
> > > > > >> >> > Take it to a shop. I had that happen with my CD
> Burner.....none
> > > of
> > > > > >> >> > the
> > > > > >> >> > burner software or Windows Explorer would recognize that
> there
> > > was a
> > > > > >> >> > blank
> > > > > >> >> > CD in the drive. Turned out that the connection (IDE
> ribbon?)
> > > was
> > > > > >> >> > no
> > > > > >> >> > good
> > > > > >> >> > and Willy replaced it. Works fine now. In fact, he burned
> a
> > > music
> > > > > >> >> > CD
> > > > > >> >> > just
> > > > > >> >> > to make sure before I left with it.
> > > > > >> >> >
> > > > > >> >> > Cheers....Heather
> > > > > >> >> >
> > > > > >> >> > "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> > > > > >> >> > news:CF8AB0B1-5D8A-41F4-B029-7FEBA67E757C@microsoft.com...
> > > > > >> >> > > my cd drive has stopped working! it shows up in windows
> > > explorer
> > > > > >> >> > > and
> > > > > >> >> > device
> > > > > >> >> > > manager. however, in device manager, it says udnerneath
> 'this
> > > > > >> >> > > device
> > > > > >> >> > > is
> > > > > >> >> > not
> > > > > >> >> > > working properly'. i can't load any cds in windows from
> the cd
> > > > > >> >> > > drive,
> > > > > >> >> > > and
> > > > > >> >> > my
> > > > > >> >> > > cd burning software does not recognise it, so i can't burn
> > > cds.
> > > > > >> >> > > what
> > > > > >> >> > should i
> > > > > >> >> > > do?
> > > > > >> >> >
> > > > > >> >> >
> > > > > >> >> >
> > > > > >>
> > > > > >>
> > > > > >>
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
>
>
>
August 13, 2005 1:19:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

I GIVE UP!!

HF.
"jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:73EC658B-34B4-4B7C-AA21-1BBACC6B0848@microsoft.com...
> no, no, no, lol. how can it be a hardware problem if it's cos linux messed
it
> up? there must be a way 2 put rite what it's done.
>
> "Heather" wrote:
>
> > Yes......I told you that yesterday!! You say that your CD burner will
not
> > work. I told you I had the same problem. A computer tech replaced a
part
> > that was not working. Didn't cost much.
> >
> > IOW.....stop messing around and take it to a competent tech.....no one
here
> > can fix your CD drive if it is a hardware problem.
> >
> > Heather (must remember to do a backup)
> >
> > "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:B535DE34-6733-4112-886E-C73B322D38CA@microsoft.com...
> > > there's a way 2 fix it without losing all ur stuff?
> > >
> > > "Heather" wrote:
> > >
> > > > LOL!! It is extremely simple. Take it to a computer tech and get
the
> > > > durned CD drive fixed, back up your stuff and then clean up your
> > computer.
> > > > Or did I miss something here......grin.
> > > >
> > > > Heather
> > > >
> > > > "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > > news:E812DF3A-79A4-493B-961F-094440BE4690@microsoft.com...
> > > > > lol, u don't get what i meant. i mean linux must have messed up
> > windows.
> > > > so
> > > > > how can i fix that? i would just scrub everythin n start again,
but i
> > need
> > > > > the cd writer 2 back up my stuff before i do that!
> > > > >
> > > > > "Noel Paton" wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > > You install Linux, and get problems - and the problem is from
> > ME?>?????
> > > > > >
> > > > > > THINK!!
> > > > > >
> > > > > > --
> > > > > > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> > > > > > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> > > > > >
> > > > > > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post
messages to
> > > > NG's
> > > > > >
> > > > > > "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > > > > news:FCFF608E-68F2-4561-8C30-153A788CE4D6@microsoft.com...
> > > > > > > it happened after i accidently installed linux. then it's been
> > like
> > > > this
> > > > > > > since i got windows back. so i assumed it was ME?
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > "Mart" wrote:
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >> Try a Lens Cleaning CD (obtainable from most audio CD
stores) -
> > with
> > > > a
> > > > > > >> bit
> > > > > > >> of luck, may only be a dirty lens/laser. - But your potted
> > history
> > > > > > >> suggests
> > > > > > >> there may be worse. You may then have to determine whether
it's a
> > > > > > >> hardware
> > > > > > >> (CD-ROM) or WinMe issue.
> > > > > > >>
> > > > > > >> Mart
> > > > > > >>
> > > > > > >>
> > > > > > >> "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> > > > > > >> news:0D91DD6B-DAF5-4E07-80F2-8690E8B0E5F9@microsoft.com...
> > > > > > >> > i've also noticed, it now says in device manage 'this
device IS
> > > > working
> > > > > > >> > properly', when it's obviously not! still can't burn cds!
> > > > > > >> >
> > > > > > >> > "jclmusic" wrote:
> > > > > > >> >
> > > > > > >> >> update on the situation: i just tried some other cds. some
of
> > them
> > > > > > >> >> work n
> > > > > > >> >> i
> > > > > > >> >> managed 2 install of 1. however many different cd writing
> > programs
> > > > i
> > > > > > >> >> try,
> > > > > > >> >> none of them work tho! :( 
> > > > > > >> >>
> > > > > > >> >> "Heather" wrote:
> > > > > > >> >>
> > > > > > >> >> > Take it to a shop. I had that happen with my CD
> > Burner.....none
> > > > of
> > > > > > >> >> > the
> > > > > > >> >> > burner software or Windows Explorer would recognize that
> > there
> > > > was a
> > > > > > >> >> > blank
> > > > > > >> >> > CD in the drive. Turned out that the connection (IDE
> > ribbon?)
> > > > was
> > > > > > >> >> > no
> > > > > > >> >> > good
> > > > > > >> >> > and Willy replaced it. Works fine now. In fact, he
burned
> > a
> > > > music
> > > > > > >> >> > CD
> > > > > > >> >> > just
> > > > > > >> >> > to make sure before I left with it.
> > > > > > >> >> >
> > > > > > >> >> > Cheers....Heather
> > > > > > >> >> >
> > > > > > >> >> > "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > message
> > > > > > >> >> >
news:CF8AB0B1-5D8A-41F4-B029-7FEBA67E757C@microsoft.com...
> > > > > > >> >> > > my cd drive has stopped working! it shows up in
windows
> > > > explorer
> > > > > > >> >> > > and
> > > > > > >> >> > device
> > > > > > >> >> > > manager. however, in device manager, it says
udnerneath
> > 'this
> > > > > > >> >> > > device
> > > > > > >> >> > > is
> > > > > > >> >> > not
> > > > > > >> >> > > working properly'. i can't load any cds in windows
from
> > the cd
> > > > > > >> >> > > drive,
> > > > > > >> >> > > and
> > > > > > >> >> > my
> > > > > > >> >> > > cd burning software does not recognise it, so i can't
burn
> > > > cds.
> > > > > > >> >> > > what
> > > > > > >> >> > should i
> > > > > > >> >> > > do?
> > > > > > >> >> >
> > > > > > >> >> >
> > > > > > >> >> >
> > > > > > >>
> > > > > > >>
> > > > > > >>
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> >
> >
> >
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 2:20:15 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Heather:
According to his very own description, Lenux screwed it up for him and in my
book trying tops studying.
He just might be pulling all of our legs and have an answer to his question
already in his back pocket, unless I'm 'way off'.
Why bash our heads in over this?
Let's wait and see.

Harry.


"Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:eNydcJ6nFHA.3564@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Harry.....why would he want to reinstall his *old one*......it isn't
> working. He should take his computer to a reputable tech and get it
checked
> out.
>
> Heather
>
> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> news:uES5PB6nFHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > jclmusic:
> > Your question: what should I do?
> > My answer: get a new CD-Rom drive, unless you want to reinstall your old
> > one.
> >
> > Harry.
> >
> >
> >
> > "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:CF8AB0B1-5D8A-41F4-B029-7FEBA67E757C@microsoft.com...
> > > my cd drive has stopped working! it shows up in windows explorer and
> > device
> > > manager. however, in device manager, it says udnerneath 'this device
is
> > not
> > > working properly'. i can't load any cds in windows from the cd drive,
> and
> > my
> > > cd burning software does not recognise it, so i can't burn cds. what
> > should i
> > > do?
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 4:20:59 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

jclmusic wrote ...

> no, no, no, lol. how can it be a hardware problem if it's cos linux messed
> it
> up? there must be a way 2 put rite what it's done.
>
<snipped>

OK, so let's pursue that theory a little - but first you need to prove that
your PC will recognise AND read (all) your CD's.

My standard (edited) response to check-out CD-ROM's in Real Mode DOS -
please use the 'bits' applicable to your CD-RW :-

Consider the following, which "ass-u-me-s" two CD-ROM drives are fitted (CD
reader and CD reader/writer) in the computer - but if only one device, amend
accordingly :-

To 'see' them in Real Mode DOS, Boot, using your WinMe Startup (floppy) Disk
in the A: drive.
Select option 2. Start computer with CD-ROM support.

Let the screen information scroll until you eventually see a line which
should report a drive letter for each of the CD-ROM's - but note that they
may not necessarily the same letter as you would expect to see in Windows.

For example, you should see TWO CD-ROMS, becoming the E: and the F:, so the
screen should show:
> Drive E:= Driver MSCD001 UNIT 0
> Drive F:= Driver MSCD001 UNIT 1
> Your CD-ROM Is Drive E

(Don't worry that you didn't also see a further line "Your CD-ROM Is Drive
F" - you won't, it will only show the one)

When the boot disk finally settles down, you will be presented with an A:\>
prompt.

Now put a (data) CD into the first CD-ROM and at the A:\> prompt, type "E:"
(no quotes and note the colon after the letter E) Then Press Return.

Now, at the E:\> prompt, type "DIR /P" (no quotes and note the space) Then
press Return.

You should see a listing of the CD contents. - Try several CD's

Try again with the (data) CD's in the other drive, this time typing "F:" at
the "E:\>" prompt to change drives and at the F:\> prompt type "DIR /P" for
the listing.

Come back with your results. Give EXACT errors reports - if any.

Mart
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 4:32:56 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

In addition I thought part of the problem was an inability to write to CDs
yet to date I have seen nothing to suggest that the OP has reinstalled
their CD mastering or packet writing software.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com


Mart <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote:

> jclmusic wrote ...
>
>> no, no, no, lol. how can it be a hardware problem if it's cos linux
>> messed it
>> up? there must be a way 2 put rite what it's done.
>>
> <snipped>
>
> OK, so let's pursue that theory a little - but first you need to
> prove that your PC will recognise AND read (all) your CD's.
>
> My standard (edited) response to check-out CD-ROM's in Real Mode DOS -
> please use the 'bits' applicable to your CD-RW :-
>
> Consider the following, which "ass-u-me-s" two CD-ROM drives are
> fitted (CD reader and CD reader/writer) in the computer - but if only
> one device, amend accordingly :-
>
> To 'see' them in Real Mode DOS, Boot, using your WinMe Startup
> (floppy) Disk in the A: drive.
> Select option 2. Start computer with CD-ROM support.
>
> Let the screen information scroll until you eventually see a line
> which should report a drive letter for each of the CD-ROM's - but
> note that they may not necessarily the same letter as you would
> expect to see in Windows.
> For example, you should see TWO CD-ROMS, becoming the E: and the F:,
> so the screen should show:
>> Drive E:= Driver MSCD001 UNIT 0
>> Drive F:= Driver MSCD001 UNIT 1
>> Your CD-ROM Is Drive E
>
> (Don't worry that you didn't also see a further line "Your CD-ROM Is
> Drive F" - you won't, it will only show the one)
>
> When the boot disk finally settles down, you will be presented with
> an A:\> prompt.
>
> Now put a (data) CD into the first CD-ROM and at the A:\> prompt,
> type "E:" (no quotes and note the colon after the letter E) Then
> Press Return.
> Now, at the E:\> prompt, type "DIR /P" (no quotes and note the space)
> Then press Return.
>
> You should see a listing of the CD contents. - Try several CD's
>
> Try again with the (data) CD's in the other drive, this time typing
> "F:" at the "E:\>" prompt to change drives and at the F:\> prompt
> type "DIR /P" for the listing.
>
> Come back with your results. Give EXACT errors reports - if any.
>
> Mart
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 5:16:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Indeed, Mike, the OP even refers to "many different cd writing programs i
try." In fact the original post stated :-

> .... i can't load any cds in windows from the cd drive, and my
> cd burning software does not recognise it, so i can't burn cds.

and later, went on to say :-

> ...: i just tried some other cds. some of them work n i managed 2 install
> of 1. however many different cd writing
> programs i try, none of them work tho! :( 

But since then, there have been one or two more 'amendments'. The mention of
Linux didn't appear until jcl's fourth post, further increasing Heather's
frustration, I guess <g>

Maybe a re-statement of the issue - with a re-appraisal of the facts - would
help?

Mart


"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
news:o aEe3Y5nFHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> In addition I thought part of the problem was an inability to write to CDs
> yet to date I have seen nothing to suggest that the OP has reinstalled
> their CD mastering or packet writing software.
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>
>
> Mart <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote:
>
>> jclmusic wrote ...
>>
>>> no, no, no, lol. how can it be a hardware problem if it's cos linux
>>> messed it
>>> up? there must be a way 2 put rite what it's done.
>>>
>> <snipped>
>>
>> OK, so let's pursue that theory a little - but first you need to
>> prove that your PC will recognise AND read (all) your CD's.
>>
>> My standard (edited) response to check-out CD-ROM's in Real Mode DOS -
>> please use the 'bits' applicable to your CD-RW :-
>>
>> Consider the following, which "ass-u-me-s" two CD-ROM drives are
>> fitted (CD reader and CD reader/writer) in the computer - but if only
>> one device, amend accordingly :-
>>
>> To 'see' them in Real Mode DOS, Boot, using your WinMe Startup
>> (floppy) Disk in the A: drive.
>> Select option 2. Start computer with CD-ROM support.
>>
>> Let the screen information scroll until you eventually see a line
>> which should report a drive letter for each of the CD-ROM's - but
>> note that they may not necessarily the same letter as you would
>> expect to see in Windows.
>> For example, you should see TWO CD-ROMS, becoming the E: and the F:,
>> so the screen should show:
>>> Drive E:= Driver MSCD001 UNIT 0
>>> Drive F:= Driver MSCD001 UNIT 1
>>> Your CD-ROM Is Drive E
>>
>> (Don't worry that you didn't also see a further line "Your CD-ROM Is
>> Drive F" - you won't, it will only show the one)
>>
>> When the boot disk finally settles down, you will be presented with
>> an A:\> prompt.
>>
>> Now put a (data) CD into the first CD-ROM and at the A:\> prompt,
>> type "E:" (no quotes and note the colon after the letter E) Then
>> Press Return.
>> Now, at the E:\> prompt, type "DIR /P" (no quotes and note the space)
>> Then press Return.
>>
>> You should see a listing of the CD contents. - Try several CD's
>>
>> Try again with the (data) CD's in the other drive, this time typing
>> "F:" at the "E:\>" prompt to change drives and at the F:\> prompt
>> type "DIR /P" for the listing.
>>
>> Come back with your results. Give EXACT errors reports - if any.
>>
>> Mart
>
August 13, 2005 5:16:55 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

>>further increasing Heather's frustration, I guess <g>

LOL!! You noticed that, did you?

I certainly think that the OP should get his *ducks in a row* before
attempting to explain it more......and still take the durned computer to a
tech. He is only going to screw it up further, simply because he can't tell
us what is wrong and what might be causing it.

Sigh......Ms. Tezztee.

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
news:%23I64Qx5nFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Indeed, Mike, the OP even refers to "many different cd writing programs i
> try." In fact the original post stated :-
>
> > .... i can't load any cds in windows from the cd drive, and my
> > cd burning software does not recognise it, so i can't burn cds.
>
> and later, went on to say :-
>
> > ...: i just tried some other cds. some of them work n i managed 2
install
> > of 1. however many different cd writing
> > programs i try, none of them work tho! :( 
>
> But since then, there have been one or two more 'amendments'. The mention
of
> Linux didn't appear until jcl's fourth post, further increasing Heather's
> frustration, I guess <g>
>
> Maybe a re-statement of the issue - with a re-appraisal of the facts -
would
> help?
>
> Mart
>
>
> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
> news:o aEe3Y5nFHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > In addition I thought part of the problem was an inability to write to
CDs
> > yet to date I have seen nothing to suggest that the OP has reinstalled
> > their CD mastering or packet writing software.
> > --
> > Mike Maltby
> > mike.maltby@gmail.com
> >
> >
> > Mart <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote:
> >
> >> jclmusic wrote ...
> >>
> >>> no, no, no, lol. how can it be a hardware problem if it's cos linux
> >>> messed it
> >>> up? there must be a way 2 put rite what it's done.
> >>>
> >> <snipped>
> >>
> >> OK, so let's pursue that theory a little - but first you need to
> >> prove that your PC will recognise AND read (all) your CD's.
> >>
> >> My standard (edited) response to check-out CD-ROM's in Real Mode DOS -
> >> please use the 'bits' applicable to your CD-RW :-
> >>
> >> Consider the following, which "ass-u-me-s" two CD-ROM drives are
> >> fitted (CD reader and CD reader/writer) in the computer - but if only
> >> one device, amend accordingly :-
> >>
> >> To 'see' them in Real Mode DOS, Boot, using your WinMe Startup
> >> (floppy) Disk in the A: drive.
> >> Select option 2. Start computer with CD-ROM support.
> >>
> >> Let the screen information scroll until you eventually see a line
> >> which should report a drive letter for each of the CD-ROM's - but
> >> note that they may not necessarily the same letter as you would
> >> expect to see in Windows.
> >> For example, you should see TWO CD-ROMS, becoming the E: and the F:,
> >> so the screen should show:
> >>> Drive E:= Driver MSCD001 UNIT 0
> >>> Drive F:= Driver MSCD001 UNIT 1
> >>> Your CD-ROM Is Drive E
> >>
> >> (Don't worry that you didn't also see a further line "Your CD-ROM Is
> >> Drive F" - you won't, it will only show the one)
> >>
> >> When the boot disk finally settles down, you will be presented with
> >> an A:\> prompt.
> >>
> >> Now put a (data) CD into the first CD-ROM and at the A:\> prompt,
> >> type "E:" (no quotes and note the colon after the letter E) Then
> >> Press Return.
> >> Now, at the E:\> prompt, type "DIR /P" (no quotes and note the space)
> >> Then press Return.
> >>
> >> You should see a listing of the CD contents. - Try several CD's
> >>
> >> Try again with the (data) CD's in the other drive, this time typing
> >> "F:" at the "E:\>" prompt to change drives and at the F:\> prompt
> >> type "DIR /P" for the listing.
> >>
> >> Come back with your results. Give EXACT errors reports - if any.
> >>
> >> Mart
> >
>
>
August 13, 2005 6:20:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Harry.....what part of the following message went over your head??

He distinctly states that *my cd drive has stopped working*, etc. That is
the information that most of us were acting on. No mention of
Linux......not until way later. And as I had EXACTLY the same CD drive
problem two weeks ago, I gave him the information on how to fix it.

HF

"jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:CF8AB0B1-5D8A-41F4-B029-7FEBA67E757C@microsoft.com...
>>> my cd drive has stopped working! it shows up in windows explorer and
device manager. however, in device manager, it says udnerneath 'this device
is not working properly'. i can't load any cds in windows from the cd drive,
and my cd burning software does not recognise it, so i can't burn cds. what
should i do?<<<<<

"webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
news:e%23GYn06nFHA.3108@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>
> Heather:
> According to his very own description, Lenux screwed it up for him and in
my
> book trying tops studying.
> He just might be pulling all of our legs and have an answer to his
question
> already in his back pocket, unless I'm 'way off'.
> Why bash our heads in over this?
> Let's wait and see.
>
> Harry.
>
>
> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> news:eNydcJ6nFHA.3564@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > Harry.....why would he want to reinstall his *old one*......it isn't
> > working. He should take his computer to a reputable tech and get it
> checked
> > out.
> >
> > Heather
> >
> > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> > news:uES5PB6nFHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > > jclmusic:
> > > Your question: what should I do?
> > > My answer: get a new CD-Rom drive, unless you want to reinstall your
old
> > > one.
> > >
> > > Harry.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > news:CF8AB0B1-5D8A-41F4-B029-7FEBA67E757C@microsoft.com...
> > > > my cd drive has stopped working! it shows up in windows explorer and
> > > device
> > > > manager. however, in device manager, it says udnerneath 'this device
> is
> > > not
> > > > working properly'. i can't load any cds in windows from the cd
drive,
> > and
> > > my
> > > > cd burning software does not recognise it, so i can't burn cds. what
> > > should i
> > > > do?
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 7:21:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

H:
Time to get your definition files!

H.


"Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:%23BE5nODoFHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Harry.....what part of the following message went over your head??
>
> He distinctly states that *my cd drive has stopped working*, etc. That is
> the information that most of us were acting on. No mention of
> Linux......not until way later. And as I had EXACTLY the same CD drive
> problem two weeks ago, I gave him the information on how to fix it.
>
> HF
>
> "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:CF8AB0B1-5D8A-41F4-B029-7FEBA67E757C@microsoft.com...
> >>> my cd drive has stopped working! it shows up in windows explorer and
> device manager. however, in device manager, it says udnerneath 'this
device
> is not working properly'. i can't load any cds in windows from the cd
drive,
> and my cd burning software does not recognise it, so i can't burn cds.
what
> should i do?<<<<<
>
> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> news:e%23GYn06nFHA.3108@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >
> > Heather:
> > According to his very own description, Lenux screwed it up for him and
in
> my
> > book trying tops studying.
> > He just might be pulling all of our legs and have an answer to his
> question
> > already in his back pocket, unless I'm 'way off'.
> > Why bash our heads in over this?
> > Let's wait and see.
> >
> > Harry.
> >
> >
> > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > news:eNydcJ6nFHA.3564@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > Harry.....why would he want to reinstall his *old one*......it isn't
> > > working. He should take his computer to a reputable tech and get it
> > checked
> > > out.
> > >
> > > Heather
> > >
> > > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> > > news:uES5PB6nFHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > > > jclmusic:
> > > > Your question: what should I do?
> > > > My answer: get a new CD-Rom drive, unless you want to reinstall your
> old
> > > > one.
> > > >
> > > > Harry.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > "jclmusic" <jclmusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > > news:CF8AB0B1-5D8A-41F4-B029-7FEBA67E757C@microsoft.com...
> > > > > my cd drive has stopped working! it shows up in windows explorer
and
> > > > device
> > > > > manager. however, in device manager, it says udnerneath 'this
device
> > is
> > > > not
> > > > > working properly'. i can't load any cds in windows from the cd
> drive,
> > > and
> > > > my
> > > > > cd burning software does not recognise it, so i can't burn cds.
what
> > > > should i
> > > > > do?
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
!