Linkys connection

ann

How do u install the ethernet to the pc. My pc was recently reformatted by a
Dell technician and i notice instead of an ethernet connection in my Device
Manager, I have a Network adapter instead to link me to the internet. As
such, my laptop (wireless) could not detect and connect to my Linkys. How do
i solve this problem?

Malke

Ann wrote:

> How do u install the ethernet to the pc. My pc was recently
> reformatted by a Dell technician and i notice instead of an ethernet
> connection in my Device
> Manager, I have a Network adapter instead to link me to the internet.
> As
> such, my laptop (wireless) could not detect and connect to my Linkys.
> How do i solve this problem?

The network adapters can be either for ethernet or for wireless. The
technician should have installed drivers from Dell for both those
adapters unless your wireless adapter was third-party (didn't come with
the laptop). You'll need to install drivers and configure your wireless
network adapter card.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

ann

Yes it is 3rd party. How do i install the correct drivers and configure the
wireless network card.

"Malke" wrote:

> Ann wrote:
>
> > How do u install the ethernet to the pc. My pc was recently
> > reformatted by a Dell technician and i notice instead of an ethernet
> > connection in my Device
> > Manager, I have a Network adapter instead to link me to the internet.
> > As
> > such, my laptop (wireless) could not detect and connect to my Linkys.
> > How do i solve this problem?
>
> The network adapters can be either for ethernet or for wireless. The
> technician should have installed drivers from Dell for both those
> adapters unless your wireless adapter was third-party (didn't come with
> the laptop). You'll need to install drivers and configure your wireless
> network adapter card.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

Malke

Ann wrote:

> Yes it is 3rd party. How do i install the correct drivers and
> configure the wireless network card.

When you bought the wireless adapter, it came with a cd and possibly a
manual. Sometimes the user manual is not paper, but is on the cd.
Follow the instructions that came with the card to install it. If you
have lost the cd that came with the adapter, go to the mftr.'s website
and download the drivers and read the user's manual. They will have it
available online.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"

ann

I have used the cd but it tells me that my pc is already connected to it (the
linkys router). My pc is fine but not the laptop, it cannot connect to it.
The laptop used to be able to connect to the linkys before the reformating by
the tech. As i said i notice it was ethernet and not network adapters in the
Device Manager

"Malke" wrote:

> Ann wrote:
>
> > Yes it is 3rd party. How do i install the correct drivers and
> > configure the wireless network card.
>
> When you bought the wireless adapter, it came with a cd and possibly a
> manual. Sometimes the user manual is not paper, but is on the cd.
> Follow the instructions that came with the card to install it. If you
> have lost the cd that came with the adapter, go to the mftr.'s website
> and download the drivers and read the user's manual. They will have it
> available online.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

ann

What is web browser interface?

"Malke" wrote:

> Ann wrote:
>
> > Yes it is 3rd party. How do i install the correct drivers and
> > configure the wireless network card.
>
> When you bought the wireless adapter, it came with a cd and possibly a
> manual. Sometimes the user manual is not paper, but is on the cd.
> Follow the instructions that came with the card to install it. If you
> have lost the cd that came with the adapter, go to the mftr.'s website
> and download the drivers and read the user's manual. They will have it
> available online.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

Malke

Ann wrote:

> What is web browser interface?

You need to install the drivers for the wireless adapter on the laptop.
Then you will be able to connect to the wireless router.

A web browser is the software that enables you to "see" the Internet
graphically. Internet Explorer is the web browser that is built into
Windows. Most routers - like your Linksys router - do their
configuration from a web browser interface. For a Linksys router, you
enter this into the addressbar of your browser:

http://192.168.1.1

This will take you to the Linksys router's configuration screens. Refer
to the manual that came with the Linksys router for more information.
If you have lost your manual, there will be a link on Linksys' website
for it.

But you need to install the wireless drivers on the laptop. You probably
don't need to mess around with the router's configuration.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"

lem

Let's stop and think for a moment.

You have a PC, a laptop, and a Linksys wireless router.
Your PC is connected to the router with an ethernet cable.
Your laptop used to be connected to the router via wireless, but after
the re-format, it no longer is.
Right so far?

Now, do you have a newer laptop with a built-in wireless capability or
an older laptop for which you bought a wireless adaptor (usually a card
that plugs into the laptop)?

If you have a separate wireless adaptor for the laptop (such as, for
example, a Linksys WPC54G (http://tinyurl.com/7pmgm)), you should have a
cd for that piece of hardware in addition to the cd for the router.
What Malke was suggesting is that you put the CD for the adaptor (not
the CD for the router) in the laptop (not in the PC).

If you clarify your setup, we may be able to help further