Temp in case/CPU

I have an 8RDA+ Rev 2.x I believe with an Athlon XP 3200+. I replaced my
Antec 400W PS for a Zalman 400W noiseless. It is quieter.

I turned off the 4 case fans I had running as they were the main culprit for
the noise and ordered 4 quieter ones from NewEgg (Arctic Cool).

Now, the system temp is around 36 C as I write this and the CPU is at 56 or
57C! YEs, I'm sure it's because my 4 case fans aren't running. But,
before, the CPU hardly ever went above 50 C and at that point the system
would lock or BSOD. How is it at 57 C now and not locking up? That's my
main question. Could the old PS have been causing lockups? How
could it?

Also, at what temperature should I be worried for the CPU to avoid damage to
itself and/or the board? I'm running as I write THIS at 60 C. I don't
think my CPU has ever run this hot. The system ALWAYS would have locked up
or BSOD'd before this time.

--
Michael Sovitzky
MCSE: W2K

    Michael Sovitzky wrote:
    > I have an 8RDA+ Rev 2.x I believe with an Athlon XP 3200+. I replaced my
    > Antec 400W PS for a Zalman 400W noiseless. It is quieter.
    >
    > I turned off the 4 case fans I had running as they were the main culprit for
    > the noise and ordered 4 quieter ones from NewEgg (Arctic Cool).
    >
    > Now, the system temp is around 36 C as I write this and the CPU is at 56 or
    > 57C! YEs, I'm sure it's because my 4 case fans aren't running. But,
    > before, the CPU hardly ever went above 50 C and at that point the system
    > would lock or BSOD. How is it at 57 C now and not locking up? That's my
    > main question. Could the old PS have been causing lockups? How
    > could it?
    >
    > Also, at what temperature should I be worried for the CPU to avoid damage to
    > itself and/or the board? I'm running as I write THIS at 60 C. I don't
    > think my CPU has ever run this hot. The system ALWAYS would have locked up
    > or BSOD'd before this time.

    Your new power supply could be doing a much better job of supplying
    stable voltage. Maybe your other one had a weak rail that barely had
    enough amps to run your board or graphics card & all of the other
    hardware. It doesn't take very long of unstable voltage to cause BSOD.

    When a system is getting BSOD freqently it's almost always either bad
    ram or a power supply not up to the task.

    Official specs:
    AMD Athlon XP 3200+ Socket A
    Operating Freq.(MHz): 2200 MHz
    Clock Multiplier: 11.0x
    Nominal Voltage: 1.65 Volts
    L2 Cache: 512KB
    Maximum Diode Temperature: 85º C
    FSB Freq.(MHz): 400 MHz

    While 60C is below the maximum operating temp, I would suggest turning a
    couple of those fans back on. At least an intake fan at the bottom to
    draw cool air into the case. Running them warm tends to shorten the
    life of your processor, and the extra heat in the case tends to shorten
    the life of your hard drive, graphics card..etc..etc

    If noise is an issue you may consider going to a larger fan size that
    runs slower but still has a high CFM rating.

    --Timbertea

Homebuilt Cases CPUs Systems