Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

KB896727

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Internet Connection
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 3:19:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

When rebooting after installation of the KB897727 Hotfix (the latest for me)
with WU, I experienced full reversal of all Hotfixes, to being red flagged
and needing to be reinstalled according to Belarc, even after an SR. The
only thing SR fixed, was my internet connection, which also was put out of
commission and my sound, which had disappeared.
The installation had taken place successfully, according to the message at
the end of it. And everything was perfect before.
What in the world is M$ trying to do?

Harry.

More about : kb896727

Anonymous
August 15, 2005 10:48:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

More to the point, Harry - what have you managed to do to your system *this*
time??
If you hadn't noticed, nobody else has had problems here (yet) with this
patch, so the chances are that it's a peculiarity of your system, rather
than a problem with the patch.

Did you remember to switch off your AV for the install (which AV is it this
month, anyhow?)

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

"webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
news:eSvsMfUoFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> When rebooting after installation of the KB897727 Hotfix (the latest for
> me)
> with WU, I experienced full reversal of all Hotfixes, to being red flagged
> and needing to be reinstalled according to Belarc, even after an SR. The
> only thing SR fixed, was my internet connection, which also was put out of
> commission and my sound, which had disappeared.
> The installation had taken place successfully, according to the message at
> the end of it. And everything was perfect before.
> What in the world is M$ trying to do?
>
> Harry.
>
>
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 1:30:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Might also help if Harry synchronised his Hotfix numbers - the body doesn't
match the Subject line.

However, may be worth reading the KB article Harry, if you have an issue.
"MS05-038: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;896727

(NB - Only 'Known issues' appear to be related to XP)

You could even try installing the updates individually.

Mart



"Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
news:uW7u2zVoFHA.2080@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> More to the point, Harry - what have you managed to do to your system
> *this* time??
> If you hadn't noticed, nobody else has had problems here (yet) with this
> patch, so the chances are that it's a peculiarity of your system, rather
> than a problem with the patch.
>
> Did you remember to switch off your AV for the install (which AV is it
> this month, anyhow?)
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>
> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>
> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> news:eSvsMfUoFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> When rebooting after installation of the KB897727 Hotfix (the latest for
>> me)
>> with WU, I experienced full reversal of all Hotfixes, to being red
>> flagged
>> and needing to be reinstalled according to Belarc, even after an SR. The
>> only thing SR fixed, was my internet connection, which also was put out
>> of
>> commission and my sound, which had disappeared.
>> The installation had taken place successfully, according to the message
>> at
>> the end of it. And everything was perfect before.
>> What in the world is M$ trying to do?
>>
>> Harry.
>>
>>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 3:01:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Noel:

"This" time was the "frst" time I had problems with an update.
And I never had to switch off my AV before.
What did occur, was that my latest Belarc version reversed to the previous
one in the process and I had to get it back.
I have everything back in order now, except no KB896727.
Do I really need it?
As Mart mentioned, I have read some of the explanations and it seems to me,
I can do without it.
As far as I can see, my hotfixes are synchronized.
Thanks for your caring involvement.

Harry.


"Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
news:uW7u2zVoFHA.2080@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> More to the point, Harry - what have you managed to do to your system
*this*
> time??
> If you hadn't noticed, nobody else has had problems here (yet) with this
> patch, so the chances are that it's a peculiarity of your system, rather
> than a problem with the patch.
>
> Did you remember to switch off your AV for the install (which AV is it
this
> month, anyhow?)
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>
> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>
> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> news:eSvsMfUoFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > When rebooting after installation of the KB897727 Hotfix (the latest for
> > me)
> > with WU, I experienced full reversal of all Hotfixes, to being red
flagged
> > and needing to be reinstalled according to Belarc, even after an SR. The
> > only thing SR fixed, was my internet connection, which also was put out
of
> > commission and my sound, which had disappeared.
> > The installation had taken place successfully, according to the message
at
> > the end of it. And everything was perfect before.
> > What in the world is M$ trying to do?
> >
> > Harry.
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 5:56:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Mart:

There is a lot more to it than meets the eye.
You have given me plenty of accumulative and pertinent information. It will
take some time to sift through it.
I may have to download and install the package seperately.
Once I'm done with it, I'll let you know.
Thanks a million.

Harry.


"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
news:o mi$oOXoFHA.2472@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Might also help if Harry synchronised his Hotfix numbers - the body
doesn't
> match the Subject line.
>
> However, may be worth reading the KB article Harry, if you have an issue.
> "MS05-038: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer"
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;896727
>
> (NB - Only 'Known issues' appear to be related to XP)
>
> You could even try installing the updates individually.
>
> Mart
>
>
>
> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> news:uW7u2zVoFHA.2080@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > More to the point, Harry - what have you managed to do to your system
> > *this* time??
> > If you hadn't noticed, nobody else has had problems here (yet) with this
> > patch, so the chances are that it's a peculiarity of your system, rather
> > than a problem with the patch.
> >
> > Did you remember to switch off your AV for the install (which AV is it
> > this month, anyhow?)
> >
> > --
> > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> >
> > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
> >
> > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
NG's
> >
> > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> > news:eSvsMfUoFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> >> When rebooting after installation of the KB897727 Hotfix (the latest
for
> >> me)
> >> with WU, I experienced full reversal of all Hotfixes, to being red
> >> flagged
> >> and needing to be reinstalled according to Belarc, even after an SR.
The
> >> only thing SR fixed, was my internet connection, which also was put out
> >> of
> >> commission and my sound, which had disappeared.
> >> The installation had taken place successfully, according to the message
> >> at
> >> the end of it. And everything was perfect before.
> >> What in the world is M$ trying to do?
> >>
> >> Harry.
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 11:06:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Supposedly this cumulative security update to IE6 SP1 is destined for
Win2000 and WinXP SP1.
Any comments?

Harry.


"webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
news:eSvsMfUoFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> When rebooting after installation of the KB897727 Hotfix (the latest for
me)
> with WU, I experienced full reversal of all Hotfixes, to being red flagged
> and needing to be reinstalled according to Belarc, even after an SR. The
> only thing SR fixed, was my internet connection, which also was put out of
> commission and my sound, which had disappeared.
> The installation had taken place successfully, according to the message at
> the end of it. And everything was perfect before.
> What in the world is M$ trying to do?
>
> Harry.
>
>
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 12:32:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Harry
This sounds very much to me as if you somehow managed to inadvertently
perform a System Restore (How, I have no idea!!) somewhere along the line.

You had a machine that purred - and poked around with it to the point where
you were forced to do a clean reinstall.
Have you learned nothing yet from lurking in these groups?

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

"webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
news:o GBpBnaoFHA.420@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>
> Noel:
>
> "This" time was the "frst" time I had problems with an update.
> And I never had to switch off my AV before.
> What did occur, was that my latest Belarc version reversed to the previous
> one in the process and I had to get it back.
> I have everything back in order now, except no KB896727.
> Do I really need it?
> As Mart mentioned, I have read some of the explanations and it seems to
> me,
> I can do without it.
> As far as I can see, my hotfixes are synchronized.
> Thanks for your caring involvement.
>
> Harry.
>
>
> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> news:uW7u2zVoFHA.2080@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> More to the point, Harry - what have you managed to do to your system
> *this*
>> time??
>> If you hadn't noticed, nobody else has had problems here (yet) with this
>> patch, so the chances are that it's a peculiarity of your system, rather
>> than a problem with the patch.
>>
>> Did you remember to switch off your AV for the install (which AV is it
> this
>> month, anyhow?)
>>
>> --
>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>
>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>
>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>>
>> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
>> news:eSvsMfUoFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> > When rebooting after installation of the KB897727 Hotfix (the latest
>> > for
>> > me)
>> > with WU, I experienced full reversal of all Hotfixes, to being red
> flagged
>> > and needing to be reinstalled according to Belarc, even after an SR.
>> > The
>> > only thing SR fixed, was my internet connection, which also was put out
> of
>> > commission and my sound, which had disappeared.
>> > The installation had taken place successfully, according to the message
> at
>> > the end of it. And everything was perfect before.
>> > What in the world is M$ trying to do?
>> >
>> > Harry.
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 12:32:52 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Hi all

Could not find KB896727 in my downloaded updates. Had a peek in MS05-038
and can only think thats because I use IE 5.50 SP1.
Since my machine is purring along, is it worth downloading SP2 and this KB
?? humm. For what I do with this machine, I'm inclined to leave it well
alone; your views?

--
cogito ergo sum


"Noel Paton" wrote:

> Harry
> This sounds very much to me as if you somehow managed to inadvertently
> perform a System Restore (How, I have no idea!!) somewhere along the line.
>
> You had a machine that purred - and poked around with it to the point where
> you were forced to do a clean reinstall.
> Have you learned nothing yet from lurking in these groups?
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>
> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>
> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> news:o GBpBnaoFHA.420@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> >
> > Noel:
> >
> > "This" time was the "frst" time I had problems with an update.
> > And I never had to switch off my AV before.
> > What did occur, was that my latest Belarc version reversed to the previous
> > one in the process and I had to get it back.
> > I have everything back in order now, except no KB896727.
> > Do I really need it?
> > As Mart mentioned, I have read some of the explanations and it seems to
> > me,
> > I can do without it.
> > As far as I can see, my hotfixes are synchronized.
> > Thanks for your caring involvement.
> >
> > Harry.
> >
> >
> > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> > news:uW7u2zVoFHA.2080@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> >> More to the point, Harry - what have you managed to do to your system
> > *this*
> >> time??
> >> If you hadn't noticed, nobody else has had problems here (yet) with this
> >> patch, so the chances are that it's a peculiarity of your system, rather
> >> than a problem with the patch.
> >>
> >> Did you remember to switch off your AV for the install (which AV is it
> > this
> >> month, anyhow?)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> >>
> >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> >>
> >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
> >>
> >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
> >>
> >> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> >> news:eSvsMfUoFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> >> > When rebooting after installation of the KB897727 Hotfix (the latest
> >> > for
> >> > me)
> >> > with WU, I experienced full reversal of all Hotfixes, to being red
> > flagged
> >> > and needing to be reinstalled according to Belarc, even after an SR.
> >> > The
> >> > only thing SR fixed, was my internet connection, which also was put out
> > of
> >> > commission and my sound, which had disappeared.
> >> > The installation had taken place successfully, according to the message
> > at
> >> > the end of it. And everything was perfect before.
> >> > What in the world is M$ trying to do?
> >> >
> >> > Harry.
> >> >
> >> >
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
>
>
>
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 12:32:52 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Harry

I'm the one that's sorry, since I made the mistake!

Regards, Paul
--
cogito ergo sum
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 1:51:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

PAT (Paul) <PATPaul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Could not find KB896727 in my downloaded updates. Had a peek in
> MS05-038 and can only think thats because I use IE 5.50 SP1.
> Since my machine is purring along, is it worth downloading SP2 and
> this KB ?? humm. For what I do with this machine, I'm inclined to
> leave it well alone; your views?

Paul,

I believe you are mistaken. There is indeed a version of KB896727 for
installations running IE5.5 SP2 on Win Me. I downloaded and installed it
here myself on the Win Me PC here that is running IE5.5 SP2 using
Automatic Update. Check out the Windows Update site - you will either
find you are offered the update or alternatively you may find you
installed it last week when it was released.

--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 1:51:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Mike
Thanks for your resonse. however please reread my post: I use I 5.50 SP1,
NOT SP2.
Regards - Paul
--
cogito ergo sum


"Mike M" wrote:

> PAT (Paul) <PATPaul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Could not find KB896727 in my downloaded updates. Had a peek in
> > MS05-038 and can only think thats because I use IE 5.50 SP1.
> > Since my machine is purring along, is it worth downloading SP2 and
> > this KB ?? humm. For what I do with this machine, I'm inclined to
> > leave it well alone; your views?
>
> Paul,
>
> I believe you are mistaken. There is indeed a version of KB896727 for
> installations running IE5.5 SP2 on Win Me. I downloaded and installed it
> here myself on the Win Me PC here that is running IE5.5 SP2 using
> Automatic Update. Check out the Windows Update site - you will either
> find you are offered the update or alternatively you may find you
> installed it last week when it was released.
>
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 2:47:30 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

PAT (Paul) <PATPaul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Mike
> Thanks for your resonse. however please reread my post: I use I 5.50
> SP1, NOT SP2.

Which just leaves me speechless and your PC wide open to every malicious
exploit of the last three years.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 2:47:31 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Mike
I'm the one thats speechless, I've never realized until today that I
was running SP1...but can say that in those three years, noting that bad
happened, that makes me wonder...q. is SP2 still available?
Paul
--
cogito ergo sum


"
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 4:38:38 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

No sweat, Paul.

Harry.


"PAT (Paul)" <PATPaul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:27B51E7E-B362-497E-872B-F701DDD4FF4A@microsoft.com...
> Harry
>
> I'm the one that's sorry, since I made the mistake!
>
> Regards, Paul
> --
> cogito ergo sum
>
>
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 4:51:16 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:

> Supposedly this cumulative security update to IE6 SP1 is destined for
> Win2000 and WinXP SP1.
> Any comments?

In a word False. Try reading whatever you think you read again but this
time slowly.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 4:08:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Paul,

It does indeed appear as if IE5.5 SP2 is no longer available for download
although still just in support for use with Win Me. All that I can find
freely available is IE6 SP1. I suspect that with a bit of trawling of the
net using the likes of Google I could find a coy of IE5.5 SP2 but this
would probably be from a third party site rather than from Microsoft. As
it happens I have IE5.5 SP2 here as I do various other older versions of
IE.

Given the lack of availability of IE 5.5 SP2 I feel you should give some
thought to installing IE6 SP1.

Regards,
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com


PAT (Paul) <PATPaul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Mike
> I'm the one thats speechless, I've never realized until today
> that I was running SP1...but can say that in those three years,
> noting that bad happened, that makes me wonder...q. is SP2 still
> available? Paul
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 4:57:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Paul
I've seen the site evolt.org recommended in the past in various
newsgroups It has old versions of browsers. I've never downloaded
anything from there but it appears to have IE 5.5 SP2 available. Maybe
someone else can comment on the advisability of installing it.

http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit

Nevans

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:02:44 -0700, PAT (Paul) wrote in
<news:B5ED5DE9-C829-43B0-BB01-1FCCD369BD4C@microsoft.com>:

> Mike
> I'm the one thats speechless, I've never realized until today that I
> was running SP1...but can say that in those three years, noting that bad
> happened, that makes me wonder...q. is SP2 still available?
> Paul
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 11:11:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Nevans,

The copy at evolt looks OK, the only problem being that it is the full set
of files totalling 80+ MB allowing for installation on not only Win Me but
also Win 98, W2K and probably also NT4 whereas the subset required for Win
Me is probably 25+ MB. That comment aside if I were Paul and had no other
source of IE5.5 SP2 I'd probably go for it.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com


Nevans <nevansc@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:

> Paul
> I've seen the site evolt.org recommended in the past in various
> newsgroups It has old versions of browsers. I've never downloaded
> anything from there but it appears to have IE 5.5 SP2 available.
> Maybe someone else can comment on the advisability of installing it.
>
> http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 12:59:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

http://xfiles.erin.utoronto.ca/pub/windows/www/ie5.5%20...

Might take awhile to download, but he could grab a few at a time as not to
tie up his connection for a long period.

All the best,
--
George Aker aka SG
Google is your friend www.google.com
Anything else is just a search engine

"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
news:o nAcx3ooFHA.3696@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Nevans,
>
> The copy at evolt looks OK, the only problem being that it is the full set
> of files totalling 80+ MB allowing for installation on not only Win Me but
> also Win 98, W2K and probably also NT4 whereas the subset required for Win
> Me is probably 25+ MB. That comment aside if I were Paul and had no other
> source of IE5.5 SP2 I'd probably go for it.
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>
>
> Nevans <nevansc@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Paul
> > I've seen the site evolt.org recommended in the past in various
> > newsgroups It has old versions of browsers. I've never downloaded
> > anything from there but it appears to have IE 5.5 SP2 available.
> > Maybe someone else can comment on the advisability of installing it.
> >
> > http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit
>
!