Create a start up disk

I am trying to create a start up disk and receive the following error message.
setup detected and error while reading C:WINEBDO.400\EBD\AUTOEXEC.BAT. can
ayone help me resolve this issue . Thanx
--
Rob
9 answers Last reply

    Download a diskmaker from www.bootdisk.com - the Win ME OEM disk - and use
    that to create your floppy
    (It would seem that at some stage, you have reinstalled ME over itself,
    using 'non-supported' means - you may have more problems....post back with
    details!)

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    "Rob Walker" <robgwenda23@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I am trying to create a start up disk and receive the following error
    >message.
    > setup detected and error while reading C:WINEBDO.400\EBD\AUTOEXEC.BAT. can
    > ayone help me resolve this issue . Thanx
    > --
    > Rob

    Thanx Noel I have downloaded a bootdisk and just need to find the time to
    reload me and all my other programs. Once again thanx for the help
    --
    Rob

    "Noel Paton" wrote:

    > Download a diskmaker from www.bootdisk.com - the Win ME OEM disk - and use
    > that to create your floppy
    > (It would seem that at some stage, you have reinstalled ME over itself,
    > using 'non-supported' means - you may have more problems....post back with
    > details!)
    >
    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "Rob Walker" <robgwenda23@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I am trying to create a start up disk and receive the following error
    > >message.
    > > setup detected and error while reading C:WINEBDO.400\EBD\AUTOEXEC.BAT. can
    > > ayone help me resolve this issue . Thanx
    > > --
    > > Rob

    Rob
    There is almost never a real need to reinstall the OS!!!
    Please describe what problems you have (in detail - collectively we have
    time!<g>), and we can try to solve them - otherwise you may find yourself
    ending up in exactly the same situation in another three months.....

    --

    > Thanx Noel I have downloaded a bootdisk and just need to find the time to
    > reload me and all my other programs. Once again thanx for the help
    > --
    > Rob
    >

    > "Noel Paton" wrote:
    >
    >> Download a diskmaker from www.bootdisk.com - the Win ME OEM disk - and
    >> use
    >> that to create your floppy
    >> (It would seem that at some stage, you have reinstalled ME over itself,
    >> using 'non-supported' means - you may have more problems....post back
    >> with
    >> details!)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >>
    >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    >>
    >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    >>
    >> "Rob Walker" <robgwenda23@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> >I am trying to create a start up disk and receive the following error
    >> >message.
    >> > setup detected and error while reading C:WINEBDO.400\EBD\AUTOEXEC.BAT.
    >> > can
    >> > ayone help me resolve this issue . Thanx
    >> > --
    >> > Rob

    Thanx for your help so far Noel when I get to 49% I then get the following
    error msg 'The file 'Aspi2dos.sys' was not found windows needs the disk
    labelled windows me edition to continue. This disk may be provided by your
    computer or device manufacturer. There is a search window which advises to
    copy files from PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\ACS\UK. I only have a reload
    cd from my computer manufaturer. unfortunately it is Time who seem to be
    going out of business. As I stated earlier I am a bit of a dullard when it
    comes to the techie side of my pc thanx once againg for your help:-)
    --
    Rob

    "Noel Paton" wrote:

    > Rob
    > There is almost never a real need to reinstall the OS!!!
    > Please describe what problems you have (in detail - collectively we have
    > time!<g>), and we can try to solve them - otherwise you may find yourself
    > ending up in exactly the same situation in another three months.....
    >

    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "Rob Walker" <robgwenda23@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanx Noel I have downloaded a bootdisk and just need to find the time to
    > > reload me and all my other programs. Once again thanx for the help
    > > --
    > > Rob
    > >

    > > "Noel Paton" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Download a diskmaker from www.bootdisk.com - the Win ME OEM disk - and
    > >> use
    > >> that to create your floppy
    > >> (It would seem that at some stage, you have reinstalled ME over itself,
    > >> using 'non-supported' means - you may have more problems....post back
    > >> with
    > >> details!)
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    > >>
    > >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    > >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    > >>
    > >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    > >>
    > >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    > >>
    > >> "Rob Walker" <robgwenda23@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    Rob,

    I think Noel is more concerned that you feel the need to completely
    re-install WinMe (and all your other programs) rather than fix it - and he
    is advising that you come back here for help with your problems before going
    down that route. A re-install is only a very last resort.

    Regarding the problem with trying to create a WinMe Startup (floppy) disk
    and the "error msg 'The file 'Aspi2dos.sys' was not found".

    Normally, when installing WinMe from an MS retail CD, it copies the whole
    installation setup folder to C:\Windows\options\instal. But with (some?) OEM
    CD's, it copies them to C:\Windows\options\cab. (Or possibly
    C:\WINEBDO.400\EBD\.. in your case - if it's still there!!)

    When creating a startup disk, WinMe searches your hard drive for the
    installation folder containing BASE2.CAB from one or other of the above
    folders, depending on where the installation folder was copied to, and
    extracts (some of) the files - including aspi2dos.sys etc. - from BASE2.CAB.

    You need to search for the folder containing (amongst other things) the
    BASE2.CAB file and make a note of its path (location).

    Your problem suggests that WinMe may be looking in the wrong folder (the
    path may be wrong or missing) or possibly the installation files *may* have
    been deleted at some time (to save approx 120MB of disk space).

    However, if they are still in either the \instal or \CABS folder (or
    wherever), then you only need to re-direct the warning to the appropriate
    folder (containing the BASE".CAB) and it should then continue and create the
    disk.

    If, after all this, you still haven't got the installation files on your
    hard disk, then Noels advice to download a WinMe bootdisk making utility
    from www.bootdisk.com is your only solution - But be sure to read the
    instructions on how to actually create the bootdisk from the download files.
    Don't just copy the download to a floppy disk, you need to run the download
    on your computer for it to actually create the Startup (floppy) disk.

    I'm sure that Noel (and others) will be happy to help you through any other
    WinMe issues you are having - just try to resist the temptation to
    re-install <g>

    HTH

    Mart

    > Thanx for your help so far Noel when I get to 49% I then get the
    > following
    > error msg 'The file 'Aspi2dos.sys' was not found windows needs the disk
    > labelled windows me edition to continue. This disk may be provided by your
    > computer or device manufacturer. There is a search window which advises to
    > copy files from PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\ACS\UK. I only have a
    > reload
    > cd from my computer manufaturer. unfortunately it is Time who seem to be
    > going out of business. As I stated earlier I am a bit of a dullard when it
    > comes to the techie side of my pc thanx once againg for your help:-)
    > --
    > Rob
    >

    > "Noel Paton" wrote:
    >
    >> Rob
    >> There is almost never a real need to reinstall the OS!!!
    >> Please describe what problems you have (in detail - collectively we have
    >> time!<g>), and we can try to solve them - otherwise you may find yourself
    >> ending up in exactly the same situation in another three months.....
    >>

    >> --
    >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >>
    >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    >>
    >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    >>
    >> "Rob Walker" <robgwenda23@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thanx Noel I have downloaded a bootdisk and just need to find the time
    >> > reload me and all my other programs. Once again thanx for the help
    >> > --
    >> > Rob

    Mart, C:\WINEBDO.400\EBD is the temporary folder Windows Setup creates for
    making the Startup Disk.

    Otherwise, the files should be in C:\Windows\Command\EBD.

    As you say, the files start out in BASE2.CAB. otoh below is Win98's
    Bootdisk.bat which, if run from C:\Windows\Command, should make an EBD, if
    the folder exists!

    ---------------

    @echo off

    set DefFloppyDrive1=A:
    set DefFloppyDrive1_L=a:
    set DefFloppyDrive2=B:
    set DefFloppyDrive2_L=b:

    set DefFloppyDrive=%1

    cls

    :CHECK
    if not exist EBD\NUL goto NODIR

    if "%1"=="/?" GOTO USAGE

    if "%1"=="%DefFloppyDrive1%" goto FORMAT

    if "%1"=="%DefFloppyDrive1_L%" goto FORMAT

    if "%1"=="%DefFloppyDrive2%" goto FORMAT

    if "%1"=="%DefFloppyDrive2_L%" goto FORMAT

    :SET_FLOPPY
    echo Please specify the drive letter of your floppy drive.
    echo Press 1 for %DefFloppyDrive1%
    echo or
    echo Press 2 for %DefFloppyDrive2%
    echo.
    choice /c:12 Choose an option
    if errorlevel 2 goto BDRIVE
    if errorlevel 1 goto ADRIVE

    :ADRIVE
    set DefFloppyDrive=%DefFloppyDrive1%
    goto FORMAT

    :BDRIVE
    set DefFloppyDrive=%DefFloppyDrive2%
    goto FORMAT

    :FORMAT
    echo.
    echo To make a Startup Disk
    echo Label a disk "Windows 98 Startup Disk" and insert it into drive
    %DefFloppyDrive%
    echo Caution: Setup will delete any existing files on this floppy disk.
    echo.
    pause
    format %DefFloppyDrive% /u /v:EBD /autotest
    if not errorlevel 0 goto FORMAT_ERROR

    :COPY
    echo.
    echo Copying files to %DefFloppyDrive% ...
    copy .\EBD\*.* %DefFloppyDrive% > NUL
    echo.
    echo Transfering system files...
    sys %DefFloppyDrive% > NUL
    echo.
    echo Startup disk is ready.
    echo.
    goto END

    :FORMAT_ERROR
    echo.
    echo There was a error formatting the specified drive.
    echo Press Y to retry or N to cancel
    choice /c:yn
    if errorlevel 2 goto FORMAT_CANCEL
    if errorlevel 1 goto FORMAT
    :FORMAT_CANCEL
    echo .
    echo Exiting
    goto END

    :USAGE
    echo.
    echo Usage: bootdisk [drive letter:]
    echo e.g: bootdisk
    echo or
    echo bootdisk %DefFloppyDrive1%
    echo.
    echo This command should be run from the WINDOWS\COMMAND directory.
    echo.
    goto END

    :NODIR
    echo.
    echo The EBD directory does not exist.
    echo Change to the WINDOWS\COMMAND directory and try again.
    echo.
    goto END

    :END
    set DefFloppyDrive=
    set DefFloppyDrive1=
    set DefFloppyDrive1_L=
    set DefFloppyDrive2=
    set DefFloppyDrive2_L=

    -------------

    Shane

    Interesting you should mention that Shane - and even more interesting that
    you referred to the Win98 Bootdisk.bat procedure.

    Some years ago, (following similar queries in the WinMe groups) I chased the
    process for creating the WinMe startup disk and found that following a
    'Clean' install from a Retail Full MS edition of WinMe (which includes
    offering the user the option to create a Startup disk during the install
    process), the default path (after installation - including the creation of
    the disk - was completed) pointed to the Windows\Options\Instal folder (also
    containing a copy of the full contents of the win9x installation folder) and
    NOT the Windows\Command\EBD. The creation of a WinMe Startup Disk did not
    refer to the EBD folder at all. And IIRC, the contents of the EBD folder is
    not EXACTLY the same as the contents of a WinMe Startup Disk.

    I recently tried again on a 'junk-box' kit to confirm.

    Regarding the possible OEM option of the path :- Windows\options\cab - this
    is pure speculation on my part as I've never used an OEM CD for WinMe,
    however others advised that some/many? OEM's force the copy of the win9x
    installation folder contents into that folder, therefore redirecting the
    'error report' to that folder seems logical and (as far as I am aware) has
    worked.

    Finally, regarding the EBD folder - a 'straightforward' copy of its contents
    onto a 'clean, formatted' floppy is not enough, the floppy MUST be made a
    system disk i.e. bootable. - Nor are they the 'actual' files which are
    copied to the 'new' Startup' disk - see above.

    See also the conversation between Walterius, Rick T and myself in the "Start
    up Disk" thread below this one.

    Mart

    "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> echo Press Y to retry or N to cancel
    >> choice /c:yn
    >> if errorlevel 2 goto FORMAT_CANCEL
    >> if errorlevel 1 goto FORMAT
    >> :FORMAT_CANCEL
    >> echo .
    >> echo Exiting
    >> goto END
    >>
    >> :USAGE
    >> echo.
    >> echo Usage: bootdisk [drive letter:]
    >> echo e.g: bootdisk
    >> echo or
    >> echo bootdisk %DefFloppyDrive1%
    >> echo.
    >> echo This command should be run from the WINDOWS\COMMAND directory.
    >> echo.
    >> goto END
    >>
    >> :NODIR
    >> echo.
    >> echo The EBD directory does not exist.
    >> echo Change to the WINDOWS\COMMAND directory and try again.

    Mart!

    > Some years ago, (following similar queries in the WinMe groups) I chased

    Jeez, doesn't the time fly!

    > the process for creating the WinMe startup disk and found that following a
    > 'Clean' install from a Retail Full MS edition of WinMe (which includes
    > offering the user the option to create a Startup disk during the install
    > process), the default path (after installation - including the creation of
    > the disk - was completed) pointed to the Windows\Options\Instal folder
    > (also containing a copy of the full contents of the win9x installation
    > folder) and NOT the Windows\Command\EBD. The creation of a WinMe Startup
    > Disk did not refer to the EBD folder at all.

    True. Change the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Source
    Path value to an invalid one, run Add/Remove's Startup Disk option and the
    message will come up 'aspi2dos.sys not found' with the invalid path in the
    'look in' field - and the destination listed as C:\WINEBD0.400

    As for the new Windows installation, the files aren't on the HD yet anyway,
    at the Startup Disk creation stage, so they have to come from the cabs.

    So, yes, they're drawn from the cabs. But they're assembled in the
    C:\WINEBDO.400 folder, a folder that you have to halt EBD creation to see,
    as it is (unless something is awry) deleted by the time the process is
    complete.

    > And IIRC, the contents of the EBD folder
    > is not EXACTLY the same as the contents of a WinMe Startup Disk.

    In my (limited) experience, exceptions will only be where an installation
    has been done with the incorrect International settings. Then the contents
    of Windows\Command\EBD as compared to a UK spec EBD (for eg), will be short
    5 files, with autoexec.bat and config.sys missing the lines referring to
    those files.

    > I recently tried again on a 'junk-box' kit to confirm.
    >
    > Regarding the possible OEM option of the path :- Windows\options\cab -
    > this is pure speculation on my part as I've never used an OEM CD for
    > WinMe, however others advised that some/many? OEM's force the copy of the
    > win9x installation folder contents into that folder, therefore redirecting
    > the 'error report' to that folder seems logical and (as far as I am aware)
    > has worked.

    MSBatch.inf directs the installation files to the CABS folder. I believe
    that's standard, ie an MS decision (that OEMs may then edit - though I
    suspect the exceptions are those where an image is restored, rather than
    Setup run).

    > Finally, regarding the EBD folder - a 'straightforward' copy of its
    > contents onto a 'clean, formatted' floppy is not enough, the floppy MUST
    > be made a system disk i.e. bootable.

    That's why I posted bootdisk.bat, which does the entire thing - but
    specifically the command:

    format %DefFloppyDrive% /u /v:EBD /autotest.

    > - Nor are they the 'actual' files which are copied to the 'new' Startup'
    > disk - see above.

    See: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;271823

    Shane

    > That's why I posted bootdisk.bat, which does the entire thing - but
    > specifically the command:
    >
    > format %DefFloppyDrive% /u /v:EBD /autotest.

    Actually, this is the version I've used for a few years:

    FORMAT A: /u /v:EBD /autotest
    ATTRIB -R -H -S C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\EBD\*.*
    COPY C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\EBD\*.* A:
    ATTRIB +R +H +S A:\IO.SYS > NUL
    ATTRIB +R +H +S A:\MSDOS.SYS > NUL
    :END
    CLS
    EXIT
    CLS

    If you do a full format in Windows, then copy the files to the floppy, it
    won't boot. Run the above on that same non-booting floppy and it will. If
    anyone knows otherwise I'd appreciate hearing about it.

    Shane

Microsoft Error Message Windows