Computer Boots to Black Screen

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
August 16, 2005 9:08:01 PM

Hi Good Folk,

I'm unable to use my own custom-built machine, so am writing at a
relative's.

After using my new computer for 4-months without major incident, it booted
to a black screen on the morning of July 6th. On the 7th I sent it back to
the tech who assembled it in March and naturally it booted perfectly for
him. He ran a virus scan and defragged it saying it looked like I had a
defective keyboard or mouse. I replaced the keyboard (which had one sticky
key and a heap of sawdust and sand in it--detritus I hadn't been able to
vacuum or shake out) and all went well until July 14 when after moving some
files Windows Explorer caused a fault in "SDHelper.dll"

I could not close that error dialog so switched the computer off, waited a
minute, then powered up again--which got me another black screen. Other
occasional good boots resulted in the computer freezing up after 10 or 15
minutes, each time with a different program operating--so at the further
suggestion of my tech I tried all sort of remedies--changing the mouse,
changing the circuitbreaker to 20 amps, even blowing cool air across the
processor. Each remedy allowed me one good boot after which the ensuing
boot brought me another black screen. Since my tech has moved and comes
back my way only once a month now, I left the thing unplugged until August 7
when I powered it up to show a friend (who'd built his own computer) what
was happening to mine. Of course the thing instantly booted to Windows! I
left it running day and night for three and a half days--taking care of
email business during that time. It ran without incident until the last
time I invoked the resource meter (something I'd been doing on occasion
since it was down in the 50%'s) and the computer instantly locked up solid.
Of course it rebooted to a black screen--and I've been unable to boot to
Windows since last Wednesday.

Throughout these weeks I've been unable to get into Safe Mode at bootup, not
even with the Me boot disk--which loads without the option available. So
yesterday, in desperation and ennui from waiting for help, I powered the
thing up and peered into the BIOS to see if there was anything there that
looked strange. On the Advanced tab, IDE Configuration sub-screen, I found
that the auto detect function was not seeing the primary C and D
drives(!)--but was seeing both secondaries (I have 3 hard drives and one CD
reader/writer).

I run avast! AV and the last program I installed (July 3) is one I've used
without incident with other computers I've had running Me. Any insight into
this mess much appreciated!

carol
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 4:21:09 AM

Trying to sort the wood from the trees :-

carol wrote:-

> ... and peered into the BIOS to see if there was anything there that
> looked strange. On the Advanced tab, IDE Configuration sub-screen, I
> found that the auto detect function was not seeing the primary C and D

That would "appear" to indicate a PC/Hardware issue rather than a WinMe
problem, however, you 'should' also be able to 'see' them in the Main tab -
although, if set to Auto, you may have to hit the Return key on each drive
to refresh and enumerate more fully.

If still no sign, check the IDE cables to the C: and D: drives have not
become dislodged (at either end of the cable!!) especially the motherboard
end (both drives missing sounds like a common issue) - The fact that you can
'see' both secondary drives (IDE1) also suggests a dislodged cable to
primary controller (IDE0)

You also said :-

> .... I've been unable to get into Safe Mode at bootup, not even with the
> Me boot disk--which loads without the option available.

You can't get into Safe Mode (nor WinMe at all) using the WinMe Startup
floppy, however you 'should' be able to 'see' the C: and D: drives (subject
to the possible issues mentioned above)

At the A:\> prompt, type C: and then Return
The prompt should change to C:\>
If so, type dir /p at the C:\> prompt and you should see a listing of you C:
disk

Try the D: also, by typing D: at the A:\> or C:\> prompt and confirm the
listing of your D: drive.

Come back with your results/error reports and someone here should be able to
continue and talk you thru' the next steps.

Mart

"PMetroplos" <metropat@spamfreecenturytel.net> wrote in message
> Hi Good Folk,
>
> I'm unable to use my own custom-built machine, so am writing at a
> relative's.
>
> After using my new computer for 4-months without major incident, it booted
> to a black screen on the morning of July 6th. On the 7th I sent it back
> to the tech who assembled it in March and naturally it booted perfectly
> for him. He ran a virus scan and defragged it saying it looked like I had
> a defective keyboard or mouse. I replaced the keyboard (which had one
> sticky key and a heap of sawdust and sand in it--detritus I hadn't been
> able to vacuum or shake out) and all went well until July 14 when after
> moving some files Windows Explorer caused a fault in "SDHelper.dll"
>
> I could not close that error dialog so switched the computer off, waited a
> minute, then powered up again--which got me another black screen. Other
> occasional good boots resulted in the computer freezing up after 10 or 15
> minutes, each time with a different program operating--so at the further
> suggestion of my tech I tried all sort of remedies--changing the mouse,
> changing the circuitbreaker to 20 amps, even blowing cool air across the
> processor. Each remedy allowed me one good boot after which the ensuing
> boot brought me another black screen. Since my tech has moved and comes
> back my way only once a month now, I left the thing unplugged until August
> 7 when I powered it up to show a friend (who'd built his own computer)
> what was happening to mine. Of course the thing instantly booted to
> Windows! I left it running day and night for three and a half
> days--taking care of email business during that time. It ran without
> incident until the last time I invoked the resource meter (something I'd
> been doing on occasion since it was down in the 50%'s) and the computer
> instantly locked up solid. Of course it rebooted to a black screen--and
> I've been unable to boot to Windows since last Wednesday.
>
> Throughout these weeks I've been unable to get into Safe Mode at bootup,
> not even with the Me boot disk--which loads without the option available.
> So yesterday, in desperation and ennui from waiting for help, I powered
> the thing up and peered into the BIOS to see if there was anything there
> that looked strange. On the Advanced tab, IDE Configuration sub-screen, I
> found that the auto detect function was not seeing the primary C and D
> drives(!)--but was seeing both secondaries (I have 3 hard drives and one
> CD reader/writer).
>
> I run avast! AV and the last program I installed (July 3) is one I've used
> without incident with other computers I've had running Me. Any insight
> into this mess much appreciated!
>
> carol

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 7:47:44 PM

Hi Mart :-))

Thanks muchly for the information. Because of the intermittancy of the
booting, I'd been wondering myself if there wasn't a loose connection
somewhere since every time it did manage to load it, Windows Me would run
fine and all programs and data on all my drives would be available. One of
my tech's thoughts was that there could be something amiss in the boot
records--but mightn't that cause the computer not to ever load Windows at
all?

Amazingly (and I'm astonished at how often something like this happens),
while I was at my relatives' yesterday writing my plea for help here, my
tech was leaving me voice mail at home! I dropped the box off for him to
work on a few minutes ago and am now revisiting my relatives to check my
mail--so have only just found your reply and will not be able to apply your
instructions myself! I'll let you know though what Jamie finds this time
now that I've told him about the C and D drive "non-detection" issue (which
he couldn't have known about the first time he looked at it because he never
got a black screen) and what he does to remedy it (at the moment he's
thinking he might replace the motherboard and cables--which are all still
under warranty).

I'm certainly glad the hardware is the suspect--I'm so tired of hearing my
beloved Millennium bashed!

carol

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> [...]
>> the computer instantly locked up solid. Of course it rebooted to a black
>> screen--and I've been unable to boot to Windows since last Wednesday.
>>
>> Throughout these weeks I've been unable to get into Safe Mode at bootup,
>> not even with the Me boot disk--which loads without the option available.
>> So yesterday, in desperation and ennui from waiting for help, I powered
>> the thing up and peered into the BIOS to see if there was anything there
>> that looked strange. On the Advanced tab, IDE Configuration sub-screen,
>> I found that the auto detect function was not seeing the primary C and D
>> drives(!)--but was seeing both secondaries (I have 3 hard drives and one
>> CD reader/writer).
>>
>> I run avast! AV and the last program I installed (July 3) is one I've
>> used without incident with other computers I've had running Me. Any
>> insight into this mess much appreciated!

Anonymous
August 18, 2005 2:12:49 AM

Carol wrote :-

> Thanks muchly for the information. .....

You're welcome and good luck Carol.

Bit surprised that there was no error message on your 'black screen' (like
'system Disk not found' - or similar message) however that *might* depend on
just how dislodged the IDE plug could be, I suppose. The IDE plugs need to
be pushed firmly home onto their headers.

!