Setting up RAID1

Being a relative newbie, I wondered whether you could run just one HDD in
none RAID initially, then install another at a later date to take advantage
of RAID1 (mirrored), without having to reinstall the OS, Apps, and data?

> Being a relative newbie, I wondered whether you could run just one HDD in
> none RAID initially, then install another at a later date to take advantage
> of RAID1 (mirrored), without having to reinstall the OS, Apps, and data?

Yes, but not RAID0.

If you couldn't, how would you replace a damaged RAID1 hard drive? :)

"Russ Crowe" <M@ximus.com> wrote...
> Being a relative newbie, I wondered whether you could run just one HDD in
> none RAID initially, then install another at a later date to take
> advantage
> of RAID1 (mirrored), without having to reinstall the OS, Apps, and data?

Depends on the controller, but it should work on most. Check your
controller's docs or mfgr web site.

Generally in the raid setup, it will give you the option to copy from
existing drive
"o-chan" <poda@REMOVEmac.com> wrote in message
>> Being a relative newbie, I wondered whether you could run just one HDD in
>> none RAID initially, then install another at a later date to take
>> advantage
>> of RAID1 (mirrored), without having to reinstall the OS, Apps, and data?
>
> Yes, but not RAID0.
>
> If you couldn't, how would you replace a damaged RAID1 hard drive? :)

Yes of course, good point.