various questions

Hi all..

Having some questions you guys might be able to answer...

1: Is it possible to print out the kneeboard, so you all the technical data
on the airplane you are flying..like takeoff speed, landing speed, flaps
settings and so on..??

2: In what altitude do you activate landing lights??

3:What is the meaning when ATC ask wether you want to depart North, South,
Straight out..and so on..??

Thanks in advance
12 answers Last reply
More about various questions

    I was told landing lights are turned on as you enter the runway for takeoff,
    turned off at 10,000 feet, and when landing, turned on at 10,000 feet and
    turned off when leaving the runway. Perhaps this rule just applies to
    commercial airliners.

    Arthur

    "Erik Selde" <erik.selde@mail.dk> wrote in message
    > Hi all..
    >
    > Having some questions you guys might be able to answer...
    >
    > 1: Is it possible to print out the kneeboard, so you all the technical
    > data
    > on the airplane you are flying..like takeoff speed, landing speed, flaps
    > settings and so on..??
    >
    > 2: In what altitude do you activate landing lights??
    >
    > 3:What is the meaning when ATC ask wether you want to depart North, South,
    > Straight out..and so on..??
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Erik, I've never tied to print out the kneeboard so I don't know if you can
    or not. If worse comes to worse, I would think that you could copy/paste the
    information to a document and then print out the document.

    Landing lights are not activated at a given altitude. They should be turned
    on 10 miles from the airport you are going to land at and like wise turned
    off once you have reached the 10 mile limit (that is a "real world"
    suggested guideline.)

    When ATC ask you what direction your departing it means just that. What
    direction are you going to be heading once you take off. Straight out means
    maintaining runway heading (runway 32 for example would be a heading of 320
    approximately).
    Usually and again "real world flying", I will tell clearance delivery what
    departure heading I would like to have. When the tower gets that information
    and then clears me for take off they will have me turn either right or left
    to a specific heading and eventually I will get clearance to resume own
    navigation which means I am then free to fly my own desired heading.

    Hope that helps.

    Harry

    "Erik Selde" <erik.selde@mail.dk> wrote in message
    > Hi all..
    >
    > Having some questions you guys might be able to answer...
    >
    > 1: Is it possible to print out the kneeboard, so you all the technical
    data
    > on the airplane you are flying..like takeoff speed, landing speed, flaps
    > settings and so on..??
    >
    > 2: In what altitude do you activate landing lights??
    >
    > 3:What is the meaning when ATC ask wether you want to depart North, South,
    > Straight out..and so on..??
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Thanks Harry, that helped..

    I think I´m quite good at flightsim now, but once in a while a few questions
    pops up...

    It´s probably also hard to know all the details in that game, unless you are
    a real world pilot..

    But thanks..

    "Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >I was told landing lights are turned on as you enter the runway for
    >takeoff, turned off at 10,000 feet, and when landing, turned on at 10,000
    >feet and turned off when leaving the runway. Perhaps this rule just
    >applies to commercial airliners.
    >
    > Arthur

    Exactly. No strict rule, however the vast majority uses this procedure.
    So it can't be too wrong, can it? ;-))))
    --
    Oskar
    (retired captain)

    This amazes me Oskar! As I was a pilot flying a Cessna just 30 years ago for a short time when then I ran out of funds at the time and never went back. But even 30 years later, I still can't keep all of the rules straight. How do you guys do it?

    Bill

    Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 03:51:51 +0100

    BillW50 <BillW50@aol.kom> wrote:

    > But even 30 years later, I still can't keep all of the rules
    > straight. How do you guys do it?

    And you can bet it has gotten a lot more complicated in those thirty years,
    too.

    Do you recall from your training days what to do if you are intercepted by
    an F-16? How about how to fly VFR into or out of the ADIZ that surrounds
    the big three airports of Washington, DC?

    Private pilots in the US are learning all these new rules now as part of
    the "things aren't the same as when Grampa flew, are they Grandma?"

    Here, have an "Intercept" card for your flight bag:

    http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/intercept.pdf

    --
    Peter

    www.flightsim.com download fs9keyre.zip for keyboard functions.

    "Erik Selde" <erik.selde@mail.dk> schreef in bericht
    > Hi all..
    >
    > Having some questions you guys might be able to answer...
    >
    > 1: Is it possible to print out the kneeboard, so you all the technical
    > data
    > on the airplane you are flying..like takeoff speed, landing speed, flaps
    > settings and so on..??
    >
    > 2: In what altitude do you activate landing lights??
    >
    > 3:What is the meaning when ATC ask wether you want to depart North, South,
    > Straight out..and so on..??
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    "Quilljar"
    > I play about with it a lot, so to me it is all a game...

    I would say life is a game to you. :-)

    Dalli

    Dallas wrote:
    > "Quilljar"
    >> I play about with it a lot, so to me it is all a game...
    >
    > I would say life is a game to you. :-)
    >

    > Dalli

    Hey well, you are right there. I have never been known for my seriousness.
    In fact I have lost a lot of possible promotion in the past for apparently
    not taking things seriously. Now in retirement, I don't need to anymore
    anyway. It's great! And Dalli Lama, I see in you a likeminded fellow!

    --
    Quilly
    Website

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 23:53:16 +0100, "Erik Selde" <erik.selde@mail.dk>
    wrote:

    >1: Is it possible to print out the kneeboard, so you all the technical data
    >on the airplane you are flying..like takeoff speed, landing speed, flaps
    >settings and so on..??

    Hi Erik

    I use FS2002 and in that program the Cessna 172's kneeboard can be
    found in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\FS2002\aircraft\c172 - on my
    PC, at least.

    There are three files: cessna172_sp.txt, Cessna172_notes.txt and
    cessna172_ref.txt. The second one is partly in upper case for some
    reason.

    These three files agree with three of the four kneeboard choices. I
    have no idea why the Key Commands option isn't there. I can only think
    that this option applies to all aircraft so the file must be stored
    elsewhere.

    Checklist: sp = CESSNA 172SP PROCEDURES (start up etc)
    Reference: ref = CESSNA 172SP REFERENCE INFORMATION (V speeds etc)
    Notes: notes = stuff you can type in yourself

    For info re my own Cessna 172 see:
    <URL:http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/cessna172sp_check.txt>
    <URL:http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/cessna172sp_ref.txt>
    <URL:http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Cessna172SP_notes.txt>

    You'll see that the above files are text based and so can be printed
    easily.

    I undestand that FS2004 uses an HTML based kneeboard but can see no
    reason why you would not be able to find the files, open them in a
    browser and print them from there.

    James

    Arthur, when I answered Erik's questions, I wasn't thinking about being on
    the ground :-(. My focus was being in the air... What I was taught, and
    certainly don't intend on this being the "law" by any means, was that when
    on the ground, I am to turn my lights on just before starting my takeoff
    roll and as Oskar mentioned, when landing, I turn them off when I am clear
    of the runway. By the same token, the same applies to setting the
    transponder code - "lights, camera, action" -.

    I fly 172's and follow those "rules".

    :-)

    Harry

    "Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > I was told landing lights are turned on as you enter the runway for
    takeoff,
    > turned off at 10,000 feet, and when landing, turned on at 10,000 feet and
    > turned off when leaving the runway. Perhaps this rule just applies to
    > commercial airliners.
    >
    > Arthur
    >
    > "Erik Selde" <erik.selde@mail.dk> wrote in message
    > > Hi all..
    > >
    > > Having some questions you guys might be able to answer...
    > >
    > > 1: Is it possible to print out the kneeboard, so you all the technical
    > > data
    > > on the airplane you are flying..like takeoff speed, landing speed, flaps
    > > settings and so on..??
    > >
    > > 2: In what altitude do you activate landing lights??
    > >
    > > 3:What is the meaning when ATC ask wether you want to depart North,
    South,
    > > Straight out..and so on..??
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance

    Arthur, sorry, you made the comment about when to turn on/off the lights,
    not Oskar. It's 11:30 pm, and I'm very tired. My apologies.

    Harry

    "Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > I was told landing lights are turned on as you enter the runway for
    takeoff,
    > turned off at 10,000 feet, and when landing, turned on at 10,000 feet and
    > turned off when leaving the runway. Perhaps this rule just applies to
    > commercial airliners.
    >
    > Arthur
    >
    > "Erik Selde" <erik.selde@mail.dk> wrote in message
    > > Hi all..
    > >
    > > Having some questions you guys might be able to answer...
    > >
    > > 1: Is it possible to print out the kneeboard, so you all the technical
    > > data
    > > on the airplane you are flying..like takeoff speed, landing speed, flaps
    > > settings and so on..??
    > >
    > > 2: In what altitude do you activate landing lights??
    > >
    > > 3:What is the meaning when ATC ask wether you want to depart North,
    South,
    > > Straight out..and so on..??
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance

Games Microsoft Video Games