  • Microsoft
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
February 18, 2005 2:53:16 AM

Hi all..

Having some questions you guys might be able to answer...

1: Is it possible to print out the kneeboard, so you all the technical data
on the airplane you are flying..like takeoff speed, landing speed, flaps
settings and so on..??

2: In what altitude do you activate landing lights??

3:What is the meaning when ATC ask wether you want to depart North, South,
Straight out..and so on..??

Thanks in advance

More about : questions

February 18, 2005 10:35:06 PM

I was told landing lights are turned on as you enter the runway for takeoff,
turned off at 10,000 feet, and when landing, turned on at 10,000 feet and
turned off when leaving the runway. Perhaps this rule just applies to
commercial airliners.

Arthur

"Erik Selde" <erik.selde@mail.dk> wrote in message
> Hi all..
>
> Having some questions you guys might be able to answer...
>
> 1: Is it possible to print out the kneeboard, so you all the technical
> data
> on the airplane you are flying..like takeoff speed, landing speed, flaps
> settings and so on..??
>
> 2: In what altitude do you activate landing lights??
>
> 3:What is the meaning when ATC ask wether you want to depart North, South,
> Straight out..and so on..??
>
> Thanks in advance

Anonymous
February 19, 2005 1:15:17 AM

Erik, I've never tied to print out the kneeboard so I don't know if you can
or not. If worse comes to worse, I would think that you could copy/paste the
information to a document and then print out the document.

Landing lights are not activated at a given altitude. They should be turned
on 10 miles from the airport you are going to land at and like wise turned
off once you have reached the 10 mile limit (that is a "real world"
suggested guideline.)

When ATC ask you what direction your departing it means just that. What
direction are you going to be heading once you take off. Straight out means
maintaining runway heading (runway 32 for example would be a heading of 320
approximately).
Usually and again "real world flying", I will tell clearance delivery what
departure heading I would like to have. When the tower gets that information
and then clears me for take off they will have me turn either right or left
to a specific heading and eventually I will get clearance to resume own
navigation which means I am then free to fly my own desired heading.

Hope that helps.

Harry

"Erik Selde" <erik.selde@mail.dk> wrote in message
> Hi all..
>
> Having some questions you guys might be able to answer...
>
> 1: Is it possible to print out the kneeboard, so you all the technical
data
> on the airplane you are flying..like takeoff speed, landing speed, flaps
> settings and so on..??
>
> 2: In what altitude do you activate landing lights??
>
> 3:What is the meaning when ATC ask wether you want to depart North, South,
> Straight out..and so on..??
>
> Thanks in advance

February 19, 2005 2:52:04 AM

Thanks Harry, that helped..

I think I´m quite good at flightsim now, but once in a while a few questions
pops up...

It´s probably also hard to know all the details in that game, unless you are
a real world pilot..

But thanks..
"Harry Gordon" <harry.gordon@worldnet.att.net> skrev i en meddelelse
> Erik, I've never tied to print out the kneeboard so I don't know if you
can
> or not. If worse comes to worse, I would think that you could copy/paste
the
> information to a document and then print out the document.
>
> Landing lights are not activated at a given altitude. They should be
turned
> on 10 miles from the airport you are going to land at and like wise turned
> off once you have reached the 10 mile limit (that is a "real world"
> suggested guideline.)
>
> When ATC ask you what direction your departing it means just that. What
> direction are you going to be heading once you take off. Straight out
means
> maintaining runway heading (runway 32 for example would be a heading of
320
> approximately).
> Usually and again "real world flying", I will tell clearance delivery what
> departure heading I would like to have. When the tower gets that
information
> and then clears me for take off they will have me turn either right or
left
> to a specific heading and eventually I will get clearance to resume own
> navigation which means I am then free to fly my own desired heading.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Harry
>
> "Erik Selde" <erik.selde@mail.dk> wrote in message
> > Hi all..
> >
> > Having some questions you guys might be able to answer...
> >
> > 1: Is it possible to print out the kneeboard, so you all the technical
> data
> > on the airplane you are flying..like takeoff speed, landing speed, flaps
> > settings and so on..??
> >
> > 2: In what altitude do you activate landing lights??
> >
> > 3:What is the meaning when ATC ask wether you want to depart North,
South,
> > Straight out..and so on..??
> >
> > Thanks in advance

Anonymous
February 19, 2005 6:51:51 AM

"Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>I was told landing lights are turned on as you enter the runway for
>takeoff, turned off at 10,000 feet, and when landing, turned on at 10,000
>feet and turned off when leaving the runway. Perhaps this rule just
>applies to commercial airliners.
>
> Arthur

Exactly. No strict rule, however the vast majority uses this procedure.
So it can't be too wrong, can it? ;-))))
--
Oskar
(retired captain)

This amazes me Oskar! As I was a pilot flying a Cessna just 30 years ago for a short time when then I ran out of funds at the time and never went back. But even 30 years later, I still can't keep all of the rules straight. How do you guys do it?

Bill

Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 03:51:51 +0100

"Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>I was told landing lights are turned on as you enter the runway for
>takeoff, turned off at 10,000 feet, and when landing, turned on at 10,000
>feet and turned off when leaving the runway. Perhaps this rule just
>applies to commercial airliners.
>
> Arthur

Exactly. No strict rule, however the vast majority uses this procedure.
So it can't be too wrong, can it? ;-))))
--
Oskar
(retired captain)
Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes...
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 7:01:01 AM

BillW50 <BillW50@aol.kom> wrote:

> But even 30 years later, I still can't keep all of the rules
> straight. How do you guys do it?

And you can bet it has gotten a lot more complicated in those thirty years,
too.

Do you recall from your training days what to do if you are intercepted by
an F-16? How about how to fly VFR into or out of the ADIZ that surrounds
the big three airports of Washington, DC?

Private pilots in the US are learning all these new rules now as part of
the "things aren't the same as when Grampa flew, are they Grandma?"

Here, have an "Intercept" card for your flight bag:

http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/intercept.pdf

--
Peter

February 19, 2005 1:11:23 PM

www.flightsim.com download fs9keyre.zip for keyboard functions.

"Erik Selde" <erik.selde@mail.dk> schreef in bericht
> Hi all..
>
> Having some questions you guys might be able to answer...
>
> 1: Is it possible to print out the kneeboard, so you all the technical
> data
> on the airplane you are flying..like takeoff speed, landing speed, flaps
> settings and so on..??
>
> 2: In what altitude do you activate landing lights??
>
> 3:What is the meaning when ATC ask wether you want to depart North, South,
> Straight out..and so on..??
>
> Thanks in advance

February 20, 2005 1:52:57 AM

"Quilljar"
> I play about with it a lot, so to me it is all a game...

I would say life is a game to you. :-)

Dalli
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 2:35:27 PM

Dallas wrote:
> "Quilljar"
>> I play about with it a lot, so to me it is all a game...
>
> I would say life is a game to you. :-)
>

> Dalli

Hey well, you are right there. I have never been known for my seriousness.
In fact I have lost a lot of possible promotion in the past for apparently
not taking things seriously. Now in retirement, I don't need to anymore
anyway. It's great! And Dalli Lama, I see in you a likeminded fellow!

--
Quilly
Website

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 23:53:16 +0100, "Erik Selde" <erik.selde@mail.dk>
wrote:

>1: Is it possible to print out the kneeboard, so you all the technical data
>on the airplane you are flying..like takeoff speed, landing speed, flaps
>settings and so on..??

Hi Erik

I use FS2002 and in that program the Cessna 172's kneeboard can be
found in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\FS2002\aircraft\c172 - on my
PC, at least.

There are three files: cessna172_sp.txt, Cessna172_notes.txt and
cessna172_ref.txt. The second one is partly in upper case for some
reason.

These three files agree with three of the four kneeboard choices. I
have no idea why the Key Commands option isn't there. I can only think
that this option applies to all aircraft so the file must be stored
elsewhere.

Checklist: sp = CESSNA 172SP PROCEDURES (start up etc)
Reference: ref = CESSNA 172SP REFERENCE INFORMATION (V speeds etc)
Notes: notes = stuff you can type in yourself

For info re my own Cessna 172 see:
<URL:http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/cessna172sp_check....;
<URL:http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/cessna172sp_ref.tx...;
<URL:http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Cessna172SP_notes....;

You'll see that the above files are text based and so can be printed
easily.

I undestand that FS2004 uses an HTML based kneeboard but can see no
reason why you would not be able to find the files, open them in a
browser and print them from there.

James
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 8:31:39 AM

Arthur, when I answered Erik's questions, I wasn't thinking about being on
the ground :-(. My focus was being in the air... What I was taught, and
certainly don't intend on this being the "law" by any means, was that when
on the ground, I am to turn my lights on just before starting my takeoff
roll and as Oskar mentioned, when landing, I turn them off when I am clear
of the runway. By the same token, the same applies to setting the
transponder code - "lights, camera, action" -.

I fly 172's and follow those "rules".

:-)

Harry

"Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote in message
> I was told landing lights are turned on as you enter the runway for
takeoff,
> turned off at 10,000 feet, and when landing, turned on at 10,000 feet and
> turned off when leaving the runway. Perhaps this rule just applies to
> commercial airliners.
>
> Arthur
>
> "Erik Selde" <erik.selde@mail.dk> wrote in message
> > Hi all..
> >
> > Having some questions you guys might be able to answer...
> >
> > 1: Is it possible to print out the kneeboard, so you all the technical
> > data
> > on the airplane you are flying..like takeoff speed, landing speed, flaps
> > settings and so on..??
> >
> > 2: In what altitude do you activate landing lights??
> >
> > 3:What is the meaning when ATC ask wether you want to depart North,
South,
> > Straight out..and so on..??
> >
> > Thanks in advance

Anonymous
February 22, 2005 8:35:00 AM

Arthur, sorry, you made the comment about when to turn on/off the lights,
not Oskar. It's 11:30 pm, and I'm very tired. My apologies.

!