HDD problems after replacng motherboard

I recently had cause to change out my motherboard - from
ASUS to Intel. As there were going to be problems in
that I could not afford to clear and reformat my existing
HDD I purchased another and set my original to work as a
slave.

Everything is set up and running nicely, but now I want
to pull over data from my profile on the old drive -
problem is I had set security levels on it that meant
only when accessing through my (then) profile would I be
able to access the data.

When I try and go in now, I simply tells me that access
is denied and I cannot figure out how to get round this
problem.

HELP
1 answer Last reply
More about problems replacng motherboard

    Hi Paul,

    You need to take ownership of them. Right-click the folder, select
    properties. Go to the security tab and click advanced. You can take control
    of the folders on the owner tab. For the security tab to appear in a WinXP
    Pro system, you must disable simple file sharing in the control panel/folder
    options/view tab. For a WinXP Home system, you must restart in safe mode and
    logon as administrator. More details here:

    HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP [Q308421]
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

    An additional note for WinXP Pro users: This procedure will not help you
    recover data if the files are encrypted. All you will be able to do is
    delete them. To recover encrypted files you will need the original
    encryption certificate or a Recovery Agent from the installation under which
    they were encrypted. Without one of these, the files are not recoverable.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Paul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I recently had cause to change out my motherboard - from
    > ASUS to Intel. As there were going to be problems in
    > that I could not afford to clear and reformat my existing
    > HDD I purchased another and set my original to work as a
    > slave.
    >
    > Everything is set up and running nicely, but now I want
    > to pull over data from my profile on the old drive -
    > problem is I had set security levels on it that meant
    > only when accessing through my (then) profile would I be
    > able to access the data.
    >
    > When I try and go in now, I simply tells me that access
    > is denied and I cannot figure out how to get round this
    > problem.
    >
    > HELP

Hard Drives Motherboards Windows XP