Q: Bootup problem

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
August 18, 2005 3:17:59 PM

Hi

I have a friend who has a system running Windows 98. For some reason it
either hangs or takes an extremely long time to get the to the desktop
environment during bootup. I can get it to boot using safe mode but I was
wondering if there was a way to find which driver, application or whatever
is causing the system to fail (or more importantly what is taking so long to
load).

Many thanks in advance

Geoff

More about : bootup problem

Anonymous
August 18, 2005 3:40:34 PM

Someone will probably be able to help here but as this ng is for the WinME
OS you will get better help from a Windows 98 ng you could also have a
look here to get you going.
http://aumha.org/a/tshoot.htm
Joan

Geoff Jones wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a friend who has a system running Windows 98. For some reason
> it either hangs or takes an extremely long time to get the to the
> desktop environment during bootup. I can get it to boot using safe
> mode but I was wondering if there was a way to find which driver,
> application or whatever is causing the system to fail (or more
> importantly what is taking so long to load).
>
> Many thanks in advance
>
> Geoff
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 4:54:14 PM

Try downloading the free Bootlog Analyzer BLA
(http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/terrace/pk29/) and use this to try and
identify what might be causing the delay when booting.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Geoff Jones <nodamnspam@email.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a friend who has a system running Windows 98. For some reason
> it either hangs or takes an extremely long time to get the to the
> desktop environment during bootup. I can get it to boot using safe
> mode but I was wondering if there was a way to find which driver,
> application or whatever is causing the system to fail (or more
> importantly what is taking so long to load).
>
> Many thanks in advance
>
> Geoff
August 18, 2005 4:58:37 PM

Cheers Joan

"Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> Someone will probably be able to help here but as this ng is for the WinME
> OS you will get better help from a Windows 98 ng you could also have a
> look here to get you going.
> http://aumha.org/a/tshoot.htm
> Joan
>

> Geoff Jones wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a friend who has a system running Windows 98. For some reason
>> it either hangs or takes an extremely long time to get the to the
>> desktop environment during bootup. I can get it to boot using safe
>> mode but I was wondering if there was a way to find which driver,
>> application or whatever is causing the system to fail (or more
>> importantly what is taking so long to load).
>>
>> Many thanks in advance
>>
>> Geoff

Anonymous
August 18, 2005 7:47:59 PM

Glad to help, hope your friend gets the problem sorted out.
Joan

!