%1 %2

Hi, I hope you are having a great day.

When I boot my ME PC, I get the scrolling black screen with the following
message:

Error updating windows files %1 %2

No filename is given and nothing else is intelligible. Does anyone have a
clue as to how to resolve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

KP
1 answer Last reply
More about tomshardware

    The solution to the %1 %2 problem you saw is easy to fix and is often but
    not exclusively the result of having Symantec's LiveUpdate installed.

    First boot to DOS using a floppy and check whether you have a WININIT.INI
    file in your C:\WINDOWS folder. If present rename it to something like
    wininit.old and try booting again. It is also probable that you will have
    to repeat the last software install or update that you made. See MS
    KB283069 - "Error Message: Windows Could Not Upgrade the File %1 from %2
    %1: %2 (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=283069).

    If you can't find a wininit.ini file then I suspect your problem is due to
    the C:\_RESTORE\TEMP folder having around 64K files in it which is the
    limit (2**16) for the number of files that can be located in a folder
    using the FAT32 filing system. This then results in the "Cannot upgrade
    file %1 from %2.." message when booting. I suggest you try deleting the
    _RESTORE folder with the loss of any system restore checkpoints you might
    have (not that I think they are now usable) and see if that solves the
    problem. Delete the folder as follows:
    a) Boot to DOS using a floppy. Do NOT choose "Minimal Boot" from the menu
    when booting from a floppy but rather choose "Start computer with (or
    without) CD-ROM support" otherwise the ATTRIB command will not be
    available.
    b) At the DOS A:\> prompt, type:

    ATTRIB -H -S -R C:\_RESTORE
    and then
    REN C:\_RESTORE OLDREST

    c) Remove the floppy
    d) Reboot your PC

    Another problem is that the install/update you were doing will not have
    been completely installed so your system may still be unusable and the
    install/update will need to be repeated.

    e) Delete the folder C:\OLDREST
    f) Check that an automatic system restore checkpoint was created.
    g) Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore folder: System |
    Performance | File System | Hard Disk and adjust the restore slider to
    your preferred setting. A figure of 200MB is normally more than adequate
    for day to day use allowing perhaps a week of checkpoints to be available
    although increasing this to perhaps 400MB for a few days during periods of
    large installs such Microsoft Office is advisable.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    KenP <KenP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Hi, I hope you are having a great day.
    >
    > When I boot my ME PC, I get the scrolling black screen with the
    > following message:
    >
    > Error updating windows files %1 %2
    >
    > No filename is given and nothing else is intelligible. Does anyone
    > have a clue as to how to resolve this problem?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > KP

Microsoft Windows