MSVCRT.DLL missing/Can't boot

I just plugged in an older Dell Dimension that I haven't used for awhile and
I got this error: "MSVCRT.DLL Was Not Found", I pressed OK and it told me
"Error Loading Explorer.exe/You Must Reinstall Windows"

My Dimension came loaded with Windows '98 SE, but I upgraded to Windows Me!
I changed the BIOS boot-sequence so that my CD drive was the 1st device and
I tried to boot from my WinMe upgrade disk, but it wouldn't boot, so I put
my Win'98 disk in and it booted and the Win '98 Setup began. I selected
"Install Windows" and the process began, but then I got a message telling me
that I already had an OS installed and that this disk was only for hard
drives without an OS, use your Windows upgrade disk! Huh, I tried that!!

Help, what do I do?

Thanks for your help!

Ray
3 answers Last reply
More about msvcrt missing boot

    Ray,

    See MS KB299296 - "Error Message: Error Loading Explorer.exe You Must
    Reinstall Windows" (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=299296) for how to
    fix this problem which is possibly the result of the file msvcrt.dll
    becoming damaged in some way.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Lunaray <yar@nehalemtelNOT.net> wrote:

    > I just plugged in an older Dell Dimension that I haven't used for
    > awhile and I got this error: "MSVCRT.DLL Was Not Found", I pressed OK
    > and it told me "Error Loading Explorer.exe/You Must Reinstall Windows"
    >
    > My Dimension came loaded with Windows '98 SE, but I upgraded to
    > Windows Me! I changed the BIOS boot-sequence so that my CD drive was
    > the 1st device and I tried to boot from my WinMe upgrade disk, but it
    > wouldn't boot, so I put my Win'98 disk in and it booted and the Win
    > '98 Setup began. I selected "Install Windows" and the process began,
    > but then I got a message telling me that I already had an OS
    > installed and that this disk was only for hard drives without an OS,
    > use your Windows upgrade disk! Huh, I tried that!!
    > Help, what do I do?
    >
    > Thanks for your help!
    >
    > Ray

    Thanks Mike, unfortunately I don't have a Windows Me startup disk and the
    one that I downloaded from "bootdisk.com" doesn't work so I wasn't able to
    try Microsoft's solution! Any other ideas?

    > Ray,
    >
    > See MS KB299296 - "Error Message: Error Loading Explorer.exe You Must
    > Reinstall Windows" (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=299296) for how to
    > fix this problem which is possibly the result of the file msvcrt.dll
    > becoming damaged in some way.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com

    What is wrong with the bootdisk image that you downloaded from
    bootdisk.com? If faulty download again. Note that to make a boot floppy
    using this image you don't copy the image to a floppy but rather double
    click and run the downloaded image file and follow the prompts.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Lunaray <yar@nehalemtelNOT.net> wrote:

    > Thanks Mike, unfortunately I don't have a Windows Me startup disk and
    > the one that I downloaded from "bootdisk.com" doesn't work so I
    > wasn't able to try Microsoft's solution! Any other ideas?

Boot DLL Windows