NEC ND-3520A DVD-RW trouble

I recently purchased and installed the NEC ND-3520A DVD-RW. My
computer recognized it immediately after booting up, but there's just
one problem.

It doesn't recognize it when there's a disc in the drive. If I put in
a DVD or CD (of any kind) I get the autoplay mouse icon for a little
bit and then... nothing. If I open the D: folder, it just opens it as
a writable folder no matter what disc is in there.

I also tried burning a CD, thinking maybe that at least would work but
after I had files in the folder and hit "Write to CD" it prompted me to
insert a disc. There was one already inserted.

Any clues? I'd really appreciate some help.

jad

sounds like the drive is bunk...it can't read or burn. The reason you
purchased the NEC is the old drive had the same problems? Do you have
numerous brands of burning software/DVD players loaded?

"krhunt" <krhunt@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I recently purchased and installed the NEC ND-3520A DVD-RW. My
> computer recognized it immediately after booting up, but there's just
> one problem.
>
> It doesn't recognize it when there's a disc in the drive. If I put in
> a DVD or CD (of any kind) I get the autoplay mouse icon for a little
> bit and then... nothing. If I open the D: folder, it just opens it as
> a writable folder no matter what disc is in there.
>
> I also tried burning a CD, thinking maybe that at least would work but
> after I had files in the folder and hit "Write to CD" it prompted me to
> insert a disc. There was one already inserted.
>
> Any clues? I'd really appreciate some help.

I'm having the same problem. When is your drive from? Mine is
manufactured in Feb. 2005. I'm sending it back RMA