print servers with Epson - which?

Hi,

I am trying to find which low cost print server adapters will work with
Epson printers in bi-directional mode. It looks like many of them cannot
pass back the info as regards cartridge capacity left etc - these are all
greyed out in the epson monitor. Printing is OK though.

Anyone have any experience with D-Link etc as to whether any of them
actually work? Specific Epson models are 1270, 950 and the new R300.

Thanks for any replies.

Stewart
6 answers Last reply
More about print servers epson which

    I have the d-link dp-g310 print server connected to a HP 960C and it will
    not pass back the cartridge estimated ink level. It just states that the
    computer is unable to establish two-way communication with the device.
    Plugging the printer directly into a usb port works just fine. I have
    enabled bidirectional support but it still will not work. I've also tried
    the latest drivers. I'm guessing the d-link would be the same for other
    printers also.

    "Stewart" <svanetempest_NOSPAM@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to find which low cost print server adapters will work with
    > Epson printers in bi-directional mode. It looks like many of them cannot
    > pass back the info as regards cartridge capacity left etc - these are all
    > greyed out in the epson monitor. Printing is OK though.
    >
    > Anyone have any experience with D-Link etc as to whether any of them
    > actually work? Specific Epson models are 1270, 950 and the new R300.
    >
    > Thanks for any replies.
    >
    > Stewart

    "Stewart" <svanetempest_NOSPAM@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to find which low cost print server adapters will work with
    > Epson printers in bi-directional mode. It looks like many of them cannot
    > pass back the info as regards cartridge capacity left etc - these are all
    > greyed out in the epson monitor. Printing is OK though.
    >
    > Anyone have any experience with D-Link etc as to whether any of them
    > actually work? Specific Epson models are 1270, 950 and the new R300.
    >
    > Thanks for any replies.
    >
    > Stewart

    If a bi-directional printserver exists, I cannot find it. I am using a
    Trendware print server with two USB and one parallel connection. I have an
    HP DJ 5550, Epson R200 and a Lexmark Optra E310 connected, and none of these
    gives me bi-directional feedback. I saw an ad for a network USB hub that
    might do this, but I satisfied with the way things are.

    --irv segal
    iceeagle.spammenot@comcast.net

    In article <civ7eb$874$1@titan.btinternet.com>,
    svanetempest_NOSPAM@btinternet.com (Stewart) wrote:

    > I am trying to find which low cost print server adapters will work with
    > Epson printers in bi-directional mode. It looks like many of them cannot
    > pass back the info as regards cartridge capacity left etc - these are
    > all greyed out in the epson monitor. Printing is OK though.

    I've heard that this can be a problem if using USB. Can you try connecting
    via Firewire or parallel?

    Jon.

    On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 19:16:28 +0000 (UTC), "Stewart"
    <svanetempest_NOSPAM@btinternet.com> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I am trying to find which low cost print server adapters will work with
    >Epson printers in bi-directional mode. It looks like many of them cannot
    >pass back the info as regards cartridge capacity left etc - these are all
    >greyed out in the epson monitor. Printing is OK though.
    >
    >Anyone have any experience with D-Link etc as to whether any of them
    >actually work? Specific Epson models are 1270, 950 and the new R300.
    >
    >Thanks for any replies.

    The only ones I know of that work properly are those made by Epson.,
    And they aren't cheap.

    --

    Hecate - The Real One
    Hecate@newsguy.com

    Thanks - I did try the parallel port as well - same issue.

    I saw from another post that one could try Epson, but even they only have a
    small listing of supported devices.

    Regards,

    Stewart
    "Jon O'Brien" <Jon@NOonlySPAMbrowsingTHANX.com> wrote in message
    > In article <civ7eb$874$1@titan.btinternet.com>,
    > svanetempest_NOSPAM@btinternet.com (Stewart) wrote:
    >
    > > I am trying to find which low cost print server adapters will work with
    > > Epson printers in bi-directional mode. It looks like many of them cannot
    > > pass back the info as regards cartridge capacity left etc - these are
    > > all greyed out in the epson monitor. Printing is OK though.
    >
    > I've heard that this can be a problem if using USB. Can you try connecting
    > via Firewire or parallel?
    >
    > Jon.

    Thanks,

    This is probably the best suggestion - especially when you look at the cost
    of the dedicated Epson print servers.

    Regards,

    Stewart
    "Rus" <rus@me.net> wrote in message news:7146d.121432$MQ5.42844@attbi_s52...
    > As far as I know, there is no "generic" print server that will manage the
    propietary code of all the "bi-directional" features. Unfortunately, you've
    got to get an Epson server for an Epson printer. As you say, it may take
    more than one server to cover all of your Epson models. Some of the Epson
    servers are USB enabled.

    > I ran into this trouble a little over a year ago when I bought a router
    that contained a "built-in" print server. Yes, it would print through the
    HP 6122 that I had at the time. However, at the workstation, I was not
    alerted when the printer was done with a job, when the printer was out of
    paper, when the printer was jammed, when the printer was out of ink, etc.

    > There is a sort of alternative I can think of, however, that might be
    cheaper than buying a bunch of dedicated print servers. Most of the newer
    Epson driver sets are "network capable" through the "Status Monitor 2" or
    "Status Monitor 3." (And ... I think I've noticed on my computer that when
    I installed a newer Epson driver that utilized Status Monitor 3, that same
    Status Monitor 3 now functions for my older drivers that used Status Monitor
    2.)

    > You'd simply attach the printers to a cheap computer. The "cheap"
    computer could be an old P3 with barebones components. With the drivers
    installed on that computer and the printers attached to that computer, the
    computer could function as a "server" to all of the client computers on your
    network.

    > You could even install "WinVNC" to the server computer and all of the
    client computers so that you could run the server computer from each of the
    clients. Once up and running, you wouldn't even need a display monitor on
    the server computer. Even a novice can master "WinVNC." It would be much
    easier than installing a Linux or Windows server OS to the server computer,
    I think.

    > Maybe my posting will spark some other suggestions. I think I could put
    together a P3-733 MHz computer for about $150 or less. Bet you could, too.

    > //rus//
    >

    > "Stewart" <svanetempest_NOSPAM@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I am trying to find which low cost print server adapters will work with
    > > Epson printers in bi-directional mode. It looks like many of them cannot
    > > pass back the info as regards cartridge capacity left etc - these are
    all
    > > greyed out in the epson monitor. Printing is OK though.
    > >
    > > Anyone have any experience with D-Link etc as to whether any of them
    > > actually work? Specific Epson models are 1270, 950 and the new R300.
    > >
    > > Thanks for any replies.
    > >
    > > Stewart

Printers Servers Epson Peripherals