CDROM's have dissappeared from My Computer and Device Mana..

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Just remove a few viruses and trojans.
Everything seems to work except the CROM and
CDRW. Both show up on post screen, but not in
windows.
Anyone know what the default registry settings and driver files
used for these?

Thanks
John

Boot To Safe Mode, open the Device Manager and delete all entries for your
optical drives. Reboot back into Normal Mode and let Win Me redetect your
hardware and reinstall the necessary drivers.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

John <Johnq@texasnet.com> wrote:

> Just remove a few viruses and trojans.
> Everything seems to work except the CROM and
> CDRW. Both show up on post screen, but not in
> windows.
> Anyone know what the default registry settings and driver files
> used for these?
>
> Thanks
> John

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

No optical drives showed up in the device manager, so none to delete.
Double check jumpers. Set for Master for CDROM and Slave for CDRW.
I did remove both IDE controllers in safe mode, and rebooted -
redetecting and telling me to reboot again. I was sure this might do
it, but no. The machine is not running in compatiably mode, so I
elected to do a clean install. Formatted and re-installed ME. SAME
PROBLEM. now I'm thinkning bad secondary controller, or bad CDROM or
CDRW. So I do one at a time. Still a no show. but it will boot from
the CDROM. So Secondary IDE Channel must be good?
I'm at a loss.
Resolution? For now I've moved my cdrw down to the primary
controller set it to slave and it works fine.