Will 2X AGP card work in 4X/8X slot?

My new mobo has AGP 4X/8X, but the video card I plan on using, an ATI
128 All-In-Wonder, is AGP 2X. Will it work?
10 answers Last reply
More about will card work slot

    It depends on the connector on your Mother Board. If you have a
    Universal AGP 3 Connector/Motherboard ~ which is keyed to 1.5 volts
    that will support your 2x card; however you would not operate at 4x/8x
    speeds.

    If your motherboard does not support the Universal connector then it
    will not function.....

    A few additional words here:
    http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_Connector_AGP.html

    No. The older card uses a different voltage than that motherboard offers.

    --
    DaveW

    <sdeyoreo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My new mobo has AGP 4X/8X, but the video card I plan on using, an ATI
    > 128 All-In-Wonder, is AGP 2X. Will it work?

    I don't get the other replies, I'm confused

    sdeyoreo@hotmail.com wrote:

    > My new mobo has AGP 4X/8X, but the video card I plan on using, an ATI
    > 128 All-In-Wonder, is AGP 2X. Will it work?

    It should. The card is '2x' but was billed as 4x "ready" and should not
    only operate 4x but should be 4x voltage complaint.

    http://www.ati.com/products/rage128pro/aiw128pro/specs.html

    ALL-IN-WONDER® 128 PRO
    Specifications
    .
    .
    .
    AGP 4X/2X upgrade card

    The card came out before 4x motherboards, which may be why you remember it
    being 2x. Per the press release:

    "Ready for the next generation of AGP 4X systems, the ALL-IN-WONDER 128 PRO
    provides full AGP 4X support, permitting the full benefit of the new AGP 4X
    specification. This further enhances the top of the line performance of the
    ALL-IN-WONDER 128 PRO for 3D games and real-time rendering. For protection
    against obsolescence, the ALL-IN-WONDER 128 PRO is backward compatible to
    support AGP 2X and can easily be switched to a 4X system when they become
    available."

    The mobo says supports AGP 3.0 & 8X mode. The ATI card is 2X. I don't
    know if it's 1.5V or 3.3V. Is the answer still no? I've Googled and
    read the responses, but it's confusing; too many signalling voltages,
    speeds, etc...

    You might get better advice if you can give the mainboard type.

    For example, I'm using an Asus A8V Deluxe board (Athlon64, Socket 939). Its
    manual states that it cannot use a 3.3V card. (I believe that would disallow
    all AGP 1.0 cards, such as your All-in-wonder 128.)

    Sorry that I can't be more encouraging.

    On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 19:55:16 -0600, David Maynard <nospam@private.net>
    wrote:

    >sdeyoreo@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> My new mobo has AGP 4X/8X, but the video card I plan on using, an ATI
    >> 128 All-In-Wonder, is AGP 2X. Will it work?
    >
    >It should. The card is '2x' but was billed as 4x "ready" and should not
    >only operate 4x but should be 4x voltage complaint.
    >
    >http://www.ati.com/products/rage128pro/aiw128pro/specs.html

    Wow, I'm getting about about 50-50 yes or no. I'm not sure it'a a PRO
    model. It is an ATI 128 RAGE All-In Wonder AGP 2X. It's in Win98SE,
    show's in device manager as AGP Bus 1X/2X. So I don't know any more .
    I have the manuals for the card, but they're to generic. I don't know
    if it's 3.3V or 1.5V.
    Anyway, I'm rebuilding as ystem and replaced everything but video
    card, case, ps & CDROM. If I need a new video card, I'll propably bite
    the bullet and get everything else too, and keep the old one alive. I
    have a brand new awesome one going, see it at:
    http://sdeyoreo.tripod.com/Alien-X.htm

    sdeyoreo@hotmail.com wrote:
    > On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 19:55:16 -0600, David Maynard <nospam@private.net>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>sdeyoreo@hotmail.com wrote:
    >>

    >>>My new mobo has AGP 4X/8X, but the video card I plan on using, an ATI
    >>>128 All-In-Wonder, is AGP 2X. Will it work?
    >>
    >>It should. The card is '2x' but was billed as 4x "ready" and should not
    >>only operate 4x but should be 4x voltage complaint.
    >>
    >>http://www.ati.com/products/rage128pro/aiw128pro/specs.html

    > Wow, I'm getting about about 50-50 yes or no. I'm not sure it'a a PRO
    > model. It is an ATI 128 RAGE All-In Wonder AGP 2X.

    Sorry, I forgot there were two versions. If it's not the Pro then it's 2x
    and will not work in a 4x/8x slot.

    > It's in Win98SE,
    > show's in device manager as AGP Bus 1X/2X.

    Well, I suspect you're looking at the motherboard's AGP slot specs with
    that reading.

    > So I don't know any more .
    > I have the manuals for the card, but they're to generic. I don't know
    > if it's 3.3V or 1.5V.

    If it's 2x it'll be 3.3. That's the problem. Signaling voltage changed to
    1.5 with 4x.

    > Anyway, I'm rebuilding as ystem and replaced everything but video
    > card, case, ps & CDROM. If I need a new video card, I'll propably bite
    > the bullet and get everything else too, and keep the old one alive.

    That's what I'd do.

    > have a brand new awesome one going, see it at:
    > http://sdeyoreo.tripod.com/Alien-X.htm

    <sdeyoreo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My new mobo has AGP 4X/8X, but the video card I plan on using, an ATI
    > 128 All-In-Wonder, is AGP 2X. Will it work?

    No, different voltage used for 4x/8x video cards.

    On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 00:01:49 -0600, David Maynard <nospam@private.net>
    wrote:

    >Sorry, I forgot there were two versions. If it's not the Pro then it's 2x
    >and will not work in a 4x/8x slot.
    >
    >> It's in Win98SE,
    >> show's in device manager as AGP Bus 1X/2X.
    >
    >Well, I suspect you're looking at the motherboard's AGP slot specs with
    >that reading.

    Exactly

    >> Anyway, I'm rebuilding as ystem and replaced everything but video
    >> card, case, ps & CDROM. If I need a new video card, I'll propably bite
    >> the bullet and get everything else too, and keep the old one alive.
    >
    >That's what I'd do.

    Thanks for your help. I'll see what's on sale in the Sunday papers.

Homebuilt Hardware Graphics Cards Systems