Reload Outlook Express

I'm helping a friend with his ME. I'm savy on XP, but not ME. His OE
doesn't start, the popup says msoe.dll missing. I've tried to fix that and
still OE doesn't open.

I've read the lengthy process at MS on reloading OE and it surely looks too
complicated. Can I just rerun the setup of ME on top of itself? I know
we'll have to reload the security patches, that's easy. Is there any option
during setup to just reinstall OE? I've googled myself blind, and would
appreciate a guru's help on this. TIA
8 answers Last reply
More about reload outlook express

    There's absolutely no reason why msoe should be running at startup - suspect
    malware infections!!

    can you boot to Safe Mode??
    if so, look in MSCONFIG, and see what's trying to start at boot time, in the
    Startup listing - disable what you don't recognise.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    "Smith" <IMPeruser@thisplaceonly.net> wrote in message
    > I'm helping a friend with his ME. I'm savy on XP, but not ME. His OE
    > doesn't start, the popup says msoe.dll missing. I've tried to fix that
    > and
    > still OE doesn't open.
    >
    > I've read the lengthy process at MS on reloading OE and it surely looks
    > too
    > complicated. Can I just rerun the setup of ME on top of itself? I know
    > we'll have to reload the security patches, that's easy. Is there any
    > option
    > during setup to just reinstall OE? I've googled myself blind, and would
    > appreciate a guru's help on this. TIA

    Noel, I don't believe the OP mentions OE running at Startup (but sod
    checking!), rather it will not start.

    msoe.dll being missing reminds me of problems I once had after uninstalling
    then re-installing OE and ending up with version soup (which I hate, btw. I
    like mushroom). What a pain that was!

    Shane

    > There's absolutely no reason why msoe should be running at startup -
    suspect
    > malware infections!!
    >
    > can you boot to Safe Mode??
    > if so, look in MSCONFIG, and see what's trying to start at boot time, in
    the
    > Startup listing - disable what you don't recognise.
    >

    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "Smith" <IMPeruser@thisplaceonly.net> wrote in message
    > > I'm helping a friend with his ME. I'm savy on XP, but not ME. His OE
    > > doesn't start, the popup says msoe.dll missing. I've tried to fix that
    > > and
    > > still OE doesn't open.
    > >
    > > I've read the lengthy process at MS on reloading OE and it surely looks
    > > too
    > > complicated. Can I just rerun the setup of ME on top of itself? I know
    > > we'll have to reload the security patches, that's easy. Is there any
    > > option
    > > during setup to just reinstall OE? I've googled myself blind, and would
    > > appreciate a guru's help on this. TIA

    I prefer mulligatawny (sp??) myself - but you're right, the OP didn't
    mention startup.... I just couldn't believe that anyone would feel it
    necessary to reinstall the OS for a failure in OE!!

    --

    "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Noel, I don't believe the OP mentions OE running at Startup (but sod
    > checking!), rather it will not start.
    >
    > msoe.dll being missing reminds me of problems I once had after
    > uninstalling
    > then re-installing OE and ending up with version soup (which I hate, btw.
    > like mushroom). What a pain that was!
    >
    > Shane
    >

    > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    >> There's absolutely no reason why msoe should be running at startup -
    > suspect
    >> malware infections!!
    >>
    >> can you boot to Safe Mode??
    >> if so, look in MSCONFIG, and see what's trying to start at boot time, in
    > the
    >> Startup listing - disable what you don't recognise.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >>
    >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    >>
    >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    >>
    >> "Smith" <IMPeruser@thisplaceonly.net> wrote in message
    >> > I'm helping a friend with his ME. I'm savy on XP, but not ME. His OE
    >> > doesn't start, the popup says msoe.dll missing. I've tried to fix that
    >> > and
    >> > still OE doesn't open.
    >> >
    >> > I've read the lengthy process at MS on reloading OE and it surely looks
    >> > too
    >> > complicated. Can I just rerun the setup of ME on top of itself? I
    >> > know
    >> > we'll have to reload the security patches, that's easy. Is there any
    >> > option
    >> > during setup to just reinstall OE? I've googled myself blind, and
    >> > would
    >> > appreciate a guru's help on this. TIA

    Thanks Noel and Shane for your comments. Outlook Express is corrupted and
    will not start because of two popups (one about messages...probably a dbx
    problem, the other about msoe.dll missing). Msoe.dll is NOT missing, but
    we tried replacing it and that didn't help.

    I've found the perfect solution to anyone having problems with OE. Go here,
    get Thunderbird...it works slicker than snot on a door knob WITHOUT OE:
    http://www.mozilla.org/

    I'll be saying adios to this newsgroup now, hasta la vista muchachos buenos
    dias.

    |I prefer mulligatawny (sp??) myself - but you're right, the OP didn't
    | mention startup.... I just couldn't believe that anyone would feel it
    | necessary to reinstall the OS for a failure in OE!!
    |

    | --
    | Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    |
    | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    | http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    |
    | http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    |
    | Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    |
    | "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    | > Noel, I don't believe the OP mentions OE running at Startup (but sod
    | > checking!), rather it will not start.
    | >
    | > msoe.dll being missing reminds me of problems I once had after
    | > uninstalling
    | > then re-installing OE and ending up with version soup (which I hate,
    btw.
    | > like mushroom). What a pain that was!
    | >
    | > Shane
    | >

    | > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    | >> There's absolutely no reason why msoe should be running at startup -
    | > suspect
    | >> malware infections!!
    | >>
    | >> can you boot to Safe Mode??
    | >> if so, look in MSCONFIG, and see what's trying to start at boot time,
    in
    | > the
    | >> Startup listing - disable what you don't recognise.
    | >>

    | >> --
    | >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    | >>
    | >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    | >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    | >>
    | >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    | >>
    | >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
    NG's

    | >> "Smith" <IMPeruser@thisplaceonly.net> wrote in message
    OE

    Does the message say that msoe.dll is missing or that it cannot be loaded?
    If the latter then one of the following may be of some help.

    Possible reasons for this error are explained in the following articles:

    MS KB 296512 - "OLEXP: Error Message: Outlook Express Could Not Be Started
    Because Msoe.dll Could Not Be Loaded"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296512) where the problem is due to
    problems with the Address Book.
    MS KB 272265 - "OLEXP: Error Message "Outlook Express Could Not Be Started
    Because MSOE.DLL Could Not Be Loaded" When You Start Outlook Express"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272265) where the problem is caused by
    mixed file versions
    MS KB 232480 - "OLEXP: Error Message: Outlook Express Could Not Be Started
    Because MSOE.DLL Could Not Be Loaded"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=232480) where the problem, similar to
    the one above, is due to uninstalling a later version of IE/OE.

    The slightly different error messages "Outlook Express could not be
    started because Msoe.dll could not be initialized" and "Outlook Express
    could not be started. The application was unable to start the Internet
    Account Manager." when attempting to start Outlook Express are often due
    to missing or corrupted information in the Outlook Express Identities
    registry key. For more details see KB 245419 - "OLEXP: You Receive an
    Error Message or Are Unable to Start Outlook Express"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=245419). Check this KB as it explains
    how to remedy this error.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Smith <IMPeruser@thisplaceonly.net> wrote:

    > Thanks Noel and Shane for your comments. Outlook Express is
    > corrupted and will not start because of two popups (one about
    > messages...probably a dbx problem, the other about msoe.dll
    > missing). Msoe.dll is NOT missing, but we tried replacing it and
    > that didn't help.
    >
    > I've found the perfect solution to anyone having problems with OE.
    > Go here, get Thunderbird...it works slicker than snot on a door knob
    > WITHOUT OE: http://www.mozilla.org/
    >
    > I'll be saying adios to this newsgroup now, hasta la vista muchachos
    > buenos dias.

    Dave Mulligatawny? Used to drink in the Coke and Spoon in Basingstoke town
    centre?

    Shane

    > I prefer mulligatawny (sp??) myself - but you're right, the OP didn't
    > mention startup.... I just couldn't believe that anyone would feel it
    > necessary to reinstall the OS for a failure in OE!!
    >

    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Noel, I don't believe the OP mentions OE running at Startup (but sod
    > > checking!), rather it will not start.
    > >
    > > msoe.dll being missing reminds me of problems I once had after
    > > uninstalling
    > > then re-installing OE and ending up with version soup (which I hate,
    btw.
    > > like mushroom). What a pain that was!
    > >
    > > Shane
    > >

    > > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    > >> There's absolutely no reason why msoe should be running at startup -
    > > suspect
    > >> malware infections!!
    > >>
    > >> can you boot to Safe Mode??
    > >> if so, look in MSCONFIG, and see what's trying to start at boot time,
    in
    > > the
    > >> Startup listing - disable what you don't recognise.
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    > >>
    > >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    > >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    > >>
    > >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    > >>
    > >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
    NG's

    > >> "Smith" <IMPeruser@thisplaceonly.net> wrote in message
    OE

    Nah - Fred (I think he's Dave's second cousin) - used to drink in the Slug &
    Lettuce down in Holyport, until the Slug bit back!

    --

    > Dave Mulligatawny? Used to drink in the Coke and Spoon in Basingstoke town
    > centre?
    >

    > Shane
    >
    > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    >> I prefer mulligatawny (sp??) myself - but you're right, the OP didn't
    >> mention startup.... I just couldn't believe that anyone would feel it
    >> necessary to reinstall the OS for a failure in OE!!
    >>

    >> --
    >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >>
    >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    >>
    >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    >>
    >> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Noel, I don't believe the OP mentions OE running at Startup (but sod
    >> > checking!), rather it will not start.
    >> >
    >> > msoe.dll being missing reminds me of problems I once had after
    >> > uninstalling
    >> > then re-installing OE and ending up with version soup (which I hate,
    > btw.
    >> > like mushroom). What a pain that was!
    >> >
    >> > Shane
    >> >

    >> > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    >> > suspect

    > in
    >> > the

    > NG's

    > OE
    > that

    > looks

    ROFL
    What did you expect with Shane <g>
    Joan

    Noel Paton wrote:
    > (This could get *really* silly if we're not careful!)
    >
    > I thought that was George (Fred's half-brother)? Fred went off to
    > join the Foreign Legion last I heard.

Outlook Express Microsoft Windows