  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
August 19, 2005 9:03:44 PM

I'm helping a friend with his ME. I'm savy on XP, but not ME. His OE
doesn't start, the popup says msoe.dll missing. I've tried to fix that and
still OE doesn't open.

I've read the lengthy process at MS on reloading OE and it surely looks too
complicated. Can I just rerun the setup of ME on top of itself? I know
we'll have to reload the security patches, that's easy. Is there any option
during setup to just reinstall OE? I've googled myself blind, and would
appreciate a guru's help on this. TIA

More about : reload outlook express

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 8:59:34 PM

There's absolutely no reason why msoe should be running at startup - suspect
malware infections!!

can you boot to Safe Mode??
if so, look in MSCONFIG, and see what's trying to start at boot time, in the
Startup listing - disable what you don't recognise.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"Smith" <IMPeruser@thisplaceonly.net> wrote in message
> I'm helping a friend with his ME. I'm savy on XP, but not ME. His OE
> doesn't start, the popup says msoe.dll missing. I've tried to fix that
> and
> still OE doesn't open.
>
> I've read the lengthy process at MS on reloading OE and it surely looks
> too
> complicated. Can I just rerun the setup of ME on top of itself? I know
> we'll have to reload the security patches, that's easy. Is there any
> option
> during setup to just reinstall OE? I've googled myself blind, and would
> appreciate a guru's help on this. TIA

August 20, 2005 9:26:29 PM

Noel, I don't believe the OP mentions OE running at Startup (but sod
checking!), rather it will not start.

msoe.dll being missing reminds me of problems I once had after uninstalling
then re-installing OE and ending up with version soup (which I hate, btw. I
like mushroom). What a pain that was!

Shane

> There's absolutely no reason why msoe should be running at startup -
suspect
> malware infections!!
>
> can you boot to Safe Mode??
> if so, look in MSCONFIG, and see what's trying to start at boot time, in
the
> Startup listing - disable what you don't recognise.
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Smith" <IMPeruser@thisplaceonly.net> wrote in message
> > I'm helping a friend with his ME. I'm savy on XP, but not ME. His OE
> > doesn't start, the popup says msoe.dll missing. I've tried to fix that
> > and
> > still OE doesn't open.
> >
> > I've read the lengthy process at MS on reloading OE and it surely looks
> > too
> > complicated. Can I just rerun the setup of ME on top of itself? I know
> > we'll have to reload the security patches, that's easy. Is there any
> > option
> > during setup to just reinstall OE? I've googled myself blind, and would
> > appreciate a guru's help on this. TIA

August 20, 2005 9:57:02 PM

I prefer mulligatawny (sp??) myself - but you're right, the OP didn't
mention startup.... I just couldn't believe that anyone would feel it
necessary to reinstall the OS for a failure in OE!!

--

"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Noel, I don't believe the OP mentions OE running at Startup (but sod
> checking!), rather it will not start.
>
> msoe.dll being missing reminds me of problems I once had after
> uninstalling
> then re-installing OE and ending up with version soup (which I hate, btw.
> like mushroom). What a pain that was!
>
> Shane
>

> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>> There's absolutely no reason why msoe should be running at startup -
> suspect
>> malware infections!!
>>
>> can you boot to Safe Mode??
>> if so, look in MSCONFIG, and see what's trying to start at boot time, in
> the
>> Startup listing - disable what you don't recognise.
>>

>> --
>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>
>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>
>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>>
>> "Smith" <IMPeruser@thisplaceonly.net> wrote in message
>> > I'm helping a friend with his ME. I'm savy on XP, but not ME. His OE
>> > doesn't start, the popup says msoe.dll missing. I've tried to fix that
>> > and
>> > still OE doesn't open.
>> >
>> > I've read the lengthy process at MS on reloading OE and it surely looks
>> > too
>> > complicated. Can I just rerun the setup of ME on top of itself? I
>> > know
>> > we'll have to reload the security patches, that's easy. Is there any
>> > option
>> > during setup to just reinstall OE? I've googled myself blind, and
>> > would
>> > appreciate a guru's help on this. TIA

August 20, 2005 9:57:03 PM

Thanks Noel and Shane for your comments. Outlook Express is corrupted and
will not start because of two popups (one about messages...probably a dbx
problem, the other about msoe.dll missing). Msoe.dll is NOT missing, but
we tried replacing it and that didn't help.

I've found the perfect solution to anyone having problems with OE. Go here,
get Thunderbird...it works slicker than snot on a door knob WITHOUT OE:
http://www.mozilla.org/

I'll be saying adios to this newsgroup now, hasta la vista muchachos buenos
dias.

|I prefer mulligatawny (sp??) myself - but you're right, the OP didn't
| mention startup.... I just couldn't believe that anyone would feel it
| necessary to reinstall the OS for a failure in OE!!
|

| --
| Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
|
| Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
| http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
|
| http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
|
| Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
|
| "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
| > Noel, I don't believe the OP mentions OE running at Startup (but sod
| > checking!), rather it will not start.
| >
| > msoe.dll being missing reminds me of problems I once had after
| > uninstalling
| > then re-installing OE and ending up with version soup (which I hate,
btw.
| > like mushroom). What a pain that was!
| >
| > Shane
| >

| > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
| >> There's absolutely no reason why msoe should be running at startup -
| > suspect
| >> malware infections!!
| >>
| >> can you boot to Safe Mode??
| >> if so, look in MSCONFIG, and see what's trying to start at boot time,
in
| > the
| >> Startup listing - disable what you don't recognise.
| >>

| >> --
| >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
| >>
| >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
| >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
| >>
| >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
| >>
| >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
NG's

| >> "Smith" <IMPeruser@thisplaceonly.net> wrote in message
OE

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 11:06:27 PM

Does the message say that msoe.dll is missing or that it cannot be loaded?
If the latter then one of the following may be of some help.

Possible reasons for this error are explained in the following articles:

MS KB 296512 - "OLEXP: Error Message: Outlook Express Could Not Be Started
Because Msoe.dll Could Not Be Loaded"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296512) where the problem is due to
problems with the Address Book.
MS KB 272265 - "OLEXP: Error Message "Outlook Express Could Not Be Started
Because MSOE.DLL Could Not Be Loaded" When You Start Outlook Express"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272265) where the problem is caused by
mixed file versions
MS KB 232480 - "OLEXP: Error Message: Outlook Express Could Not Be Started
Because MSOE.DLL Could Not Be Loaded"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=232480) where the problem, similar to
the one above, is due to uninstalling a later version of IE/OE.

The slightly different error messages "Outlook Express could not be
started because Msoe.dll could not be initialized" and "Outlook Express
could not be started. The application was unable to start the Internet
Account Manager." when attempting to start Outlook Express are often due
to missing or corrupted information in the Outlook Express Identities
registry key. For more details see KB 245419 - "OLEXP: You Receive an
Error Message or Are Unable to Start Outlook Express"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=245419). Check this KB as it explains
how to remedy this error.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Smith <IMPeruser@thisplaceonly.net> wrote:

> Thanks Noel and Shane for your comments. Outlook Express is
> corrupted and will not start because of two popups (one about
> messages...probably a dbx problem, the other about msoe.dll
> missing). Msoe.dll is NOT missing, but we tried replacing it and
> that didn't help.
>
> I've found the perfect solution to anyone having problems with OE.
> Go here, get Thunderbird...it works slicker than snot on a door knob
> WITHOUT OE: http://www.mozilla.org/
>
> I'll be saying adios to this newsgroup now, hasta la vista muchachos
> buenos dias.
August 21, 2005 2:35:00 AM

Dave Mulligatawny? Used to drink in the Coke and Spoon in Basingstoke town
centre?

Shane

> I prefer mulligatawny (sp??) myself - but you're right, the OP didn't
> mention startup.... I just couldn't believe that anyone would feel it
> necessary to reinstall the OS for a failure in OE!!
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Noel, I don't believe the OP mentions OE running at Startup (but sod
> > checking!), rather it will not start.
> >
> > msoe.dll being missing reminds me of problems I once had after
> > uninstalling
> > then re-installing OE and ending up with version soup (which I hate,
btw.
> > like mushroom). What a pain that was!
> >
> > Shane
> >

> > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> >> There's absolutely no reason why msoe should be running at startup -
> > suspect
> >> malware infections!!
> >>
> >> can you boot to Safe Mode??
> >> if so, look in MSCONFIG, and see what's trying to start at boot time,
in
> > the
> >> Startup listing - disable what you don't recognise.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> >>
> >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> >>
> >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
> >>
> >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
NG's

> >> "Smith" <IMPeruser@thisplaceonly.net> wrote in message
OE

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 3:24:14 AM

Nah - Fred (I think he's Dave's second cousin) - used to drink in the Slug &
Lettuce down in Holyport, until the Slug bit back!

--

news:o z6YC8cpFHA.2504@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Dave Mulligatawny? Used to drink in the Coke and Spoon in Basingstoke town
> centre?
>

> Shane
>
> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>> I prefer mulligatawny (sp??) myself - but you're right, the OP didn't
>> mention startup.... I just couldn't believe that anyone would feel it
>> necessary to reinstall the OS for a failure in OE!!
>>

>> --
>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>
>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>
>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>>
>> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Noel, I don't believe the OP mentions OE running at Startup (but sod
>> > checking!), rather it will not start.
>> >
>> > msoe.dll being missing reminds me of problems I once had after
>> > uninstalling
>> > then re-installing OE and ending up with version soup (which I hate,
> btw.
>> > like mushroom). What a pain that was!
>> >
>> > Shane
>> >

>> > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message