Recommend Celery Upgrade!!!

Hi everyone,
It's been a while since I have to ask for help! In fact, I'm sending
this on the computer I built from recommendations from people here!
Now I'm back for your recommendations on upgrading my brother's celery
computer. This is what I remenber him having:

BH 6 motherboard with Cel 300 O/Ced to 464 mHz
512 mg memory
? Case with 250 watts P/S
CD-Rom and a CDR-W
Floppy drive
forget what video card
S/B Live sound card
CompUSA 56K modem
60 gb 7200 rpm harddrive
I think a Supra Video card with 64 mb

Basically, he just wants to upgrade the motherboard, CPU and memory,
but I'm sure he'll need a newer case too. He uses the computer for
some Internet browsing but mainly for games. He's not a game freak,
he's about 50, and mainly plays Golf games. He wants to add some speed
and memory for the newer golf games.
We are looking for a $350 budget goal! Please help me get my brother
off my back!! BTW, I beat his butt in golf most of the time!

ByteGuy wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> It's been a while since I have to ask for help! In fact, I'm sending
> this on the computer I built from recommendations from people here!
> Now I'm back for your recommendations on upgrading my brother's celery
> computer. This is what I remenber him having:
>
> BH 6 motherboard with Cel 300 O/Ced to 464 mHz
> 512 mg memory
> ? Case with 250 watts P/S
> CD-Rom and a CDR-W
> Floppy drive
> forget what video card
> S/B Live sound card
> CompUSA 56K modem
> 60 gb 7200 rpm harddrive
> I think a Supra Video card with 64 mb
>

> Basically, he just wants to upgrade the motherboard, CPU and memory,
> but I'm sure he'll need a newer case too. He uses the computer for
> some Internet browsing but mainly for games. He's not a game freak,
> he's about 50, and mainly plays Golf games. He wants to add some speed
> and memory for the newer golf games.
> We are looking for a $350 budget goal! Please help me get my brother
> off my back!! BTW, I beat his butt in golf most of the time!

Well, you might want to consider a 1.3 Gig Tualatin Celeron, about $40, and
a slot-T slotket, about $20. Plus a heatsink, say $15. Near tripling the
processor for well under a hundred ain't bad.

For a bigger upgrade you're really looking at redoing almost the entire rig
because the PSU probably won't handle much more and more processor power
than that is wasted unless you do the video card too.

I run two BH6s with 1.3 gig tualatins and they work fine but you need to
keep the room really at 'room temp' because the regulators run hot. No
running it in the garage, on the beach, or shoved under a desk where it
can't get air.

"David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
> I run two BH6s with 1.3 gig tualatins and they work fine but you need to
> keep the room really at 'room temp' because the regulators run hot. No
> running it in the garage, on the beach, or shoved under a desk where it
> can't get air.

For a second I couldn't figure why you said not to run it in the garage,
then I remembered everybody's garage isn't 40 deg. F like mine. Heck, I bet
some peoples garages are too cold to comfortably stand in for extended
periods of time.

--Dan

dg wrote:
> "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
>
>>I run two BH6s with 1.3 gig tualatins and they work fine but you need to
>>keep the room really at 'room temp' because the regulators run hot. No
>>running it in the garage, on the beach, or shoved under a desk where it
>>can't get air.
>

> For a second I couldn't figure why you said not to run it in the garage,
> then I remembered everybody's garage isn't 40 deg. F like mine. Heck, I bet
> some peoples garages are too cold to comfortably stand in for extended
> periods of time.
>
> --Dan

Hehe. Good point. I forget not everyone is located just around the corner
from hell like I am in the summer time.