Login questions!

How do I change the Username in the Windows Login box? Or better yet, how
do I eliminate the Login box altogether? I live alone and I'm the only one
using my computers, so I'd rather not have to login at all! I looked on
Microsoft's web site, but I didn't find much.

Thanks all!

Ray
4 answers Last reply
More about login questions

    "How to Prevent a Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me Logon Prompt at
    Startup"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;152104

    When it comes to setting up again, then if you no longer want a password,
    enter a name but DO NOT enter any password at all, then click OK.
    DO NOT "cancel".

    Mart

    "Lunaray" <yar@nehalemtelNOT.net> wrote in message
    > How do I change the Username in the Windows Login box? Or better yet, how
    > do I eliminate the Login box altogether? I live alone and I'm the only
    > one using my computers, so I'd rather not have to login at all! I looked
    > on Microsoft's web site, but I didn't find much.
    >
    > Thanks all!
    >
    > Ray

    Thanks Mart,

    Well before I saw your reply to my post, I decided to get experimental &
    dangerous, I did a search (*.pwl) and I deleted every entry that came up,
    and then I restarted! The login window came up again, but instead of
    entering my password, I just hit 'enter' and Windows started! I restarted
    again and "Voila", no login prompt! Don't know if I did it right, but it
    seems to have worked!

    As with most 'Windows' things, there are usually several ways of skinning
    the same cat.

    You've successfully found and used the simplest route - well done and thanks
    for the feedback.

    > Thanks Mart,
    >
    > Well before I saw your reply to my post, I decided to get experimental &
    > dangerous, I did a search (*.pwl) and I deleted every entry that came up,
    > and then I restarted! The login window came up again, but instead of
    > entering my password, I just hit 'enter' and Windows started! I restarted
    > again and "Voila", no login prompt! Don't know if I did it right, but it
    > seems to have worked!

    One thing to watch, is that now you're likely to be logged in as 'default
    user' - which means that you have no way to save passwords for things like
    the DUN manager, etc.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    > As with most 'Windows' things, there are usually several ways of skinning
    > the same cat.
    >
    > You've successfully found and used the simplest route - well done and
    > thanks for the feedback.
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "Lunaray" <yar@nehalemtelNOT.net> wrote in message
    >> Thanks Mart,
    >>
    >> Well before I saw your reply to my post, I decided to get experimental &
    >> dangerous, I did a search (*.pwl) and I deleted every entry that came up,
    >> and then I restarted! The login window came up again, but instead of
    >> entering my password, I just hit 'enter' and Windows started! I
    >> restarted again and "Voila", no login prompt! Don't know if I did it
    >> right, but it seems to have worked!

Login Computers Microsoft Windows