AntiVirus Programs Freezes

I am in desperate help to find a AV program that will not lock up my
computer, which I use rarely (hubby will use at times, I have a new XP)

I know it is old, and only have programs installed that are essential. Like
systray, lol.
Norton's, Trend, etc, will not work due to the requirements, as most new
anti viral programs wont.

Over the years I have not added any additional programs than what it came
with, so I can only surmise with the newer AVP, the windowsME has not been
able to keep up with the changing technology?

I disabled a ton of useless stuff in startup, 5 yrs ago that came with the
computer preinstalled, at the guidance of the windowsME tech support
installer...

I have 127.0 MB Ram which is what it came with, as you all know, most of the
AVP requires that or more.

I have tried most every AVP I could find, yet it still locks.

Done the safe mode scan disk, etc. empty the common files, i.e. temp,
history, etc. nothing helps .

Before I take the CPU to CompUSA to reformat, is there anything else we can
do from here to make this work?

I do not have any virus's, adware, etc. on the computer.

I have been coming to the tech boards for years to know how to check for the
above etc. This has been an ongoing problem,. since the computer grew older.
5 years old.
RAM - 127.0
GB - used 4.44
free 34.7

As a test I uninstalled whatever AVP (been trying quite a few here lately),
that was installed, and it did not lock up, for every AVP I installed, once
removed, it worked like a charm.

Lock Up= Freezes, can't control alt or esc, or anything, must cut off at
CPU.
(even bought another mouse just in case, wasn't the problem)
No conflicts showing in Device Manager.

I keep the computer updated with whatever patches, or installations they
still have for WinMe.

Any ideas?

Thanks
28 answers Last reply
More about antivirus programs freezes

    Hi, Sue. Which firewall are you using? Did you remove the AVs programs
    through add/remove programs? I've, in the past run AVG with ZoneAlarm and
    those proggies fought each other to the bitter end. I'm now running Avast
    along with ZoneAlarm (both free) in perfect harmony.

    If you'd like to give Avast a whirl, it can be found here:

    http://avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

    Good luck and let us know how things turn out, ok?

    KB
    "Sue" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I am in desperate help to find a AV program that will not lock up my
    > computer, which I use rarely (hubby will use at times, I have a new XP)
    >
    > I know it is old, and only have programs installed that are essential.
    Like
    > systray, lol.
    > Norton's, Trend, etc, will not work due to the requirements, as most new
    > anti viral programs wont.
    >
    > Over the years I have not added any additional programs than what it came
    > with, so I can only surmise with the newer AVP, the windowsME has not been
    > able to keep up with the changing technology?
    >
    > I disabled a ton of useless stuff in startup, 5 yrs ago that came with the
    > computer preinstalled, at the guidance of the windowsME tech support
    > installer...
    >
    > I have 127.0 MB Ram which is what it came with, as you all know, most of
    the
    > AVP requires that or more.
    >
    > I have tried most every AVP I could find, yet it still locks.
    >
    > Done the safe mode scan disk, etc. empty the common files, i.e. temp,
    > history, etc. nothing helps .
    >
    > Before I take the CPU to CompUSA to reformat, is there anything else we
    can
    > do from here to make this work?
    >
    > I do not have any virus's, adware, etc. on the computer.
    >
    > I have been coming to the tech boards for years to know how to check for
    the
    > above etc. This has been an ongoing problem,. since the computer grew
    older.
    > 5 years old.
    > RAM - 127.0
    > GB - used 4.44
    > free 34.7
    >
    > As a test I uninstalled whatever AVP (been trying quite a few here
    lately),
    > that was installed, and it did not lock up, for every AVP I installed,
    once
    > removed, it worked like a charm.
    >
    > Lock Up= Freezes, can't control alt or esc, or anything, must cut off at
    > CPU.
    > (even bought another mouse just in case, wasn't the problem)
    > No conflicts showing in Device Manager.
    >
    > I keep the computer updated with whatever patches, or installations they
    > still have for WinMe.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks

    "Sue" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I am in desperate help to find a AV program that will not lock up my
    > computer, which I use rarely (hubby will use at times, I have a new XP)
    > ((..omitted..))
    > I have been coming to the tech boards for years to know how to check for
    the
    > above etc. This has been an ongoing problem,. since the computer grew
    older.
    > 5 years old.
    > RAM - 127.0
    > GB - used 4.44
    > free 34.7

    I had Windows ME running with Nortons AV (only, no other Nortons
    utilities/features) on a 400MHz AMD with 128M of RAM and a 5G hard drive up
    to a couple of months ago. The system isn't running now only because my son
    (who had it has his apartment) now has access to his girlfriends computer
    (much newer).

    > As a test I uninstalled whatever AVP (been trying quite a few here
    lately),
    > that was installed, and it did not lock up, for every AVP I installed,
    once
    > removed, it worked like a charm.

    It sure sounds like it's got a conflict with something.

    > Lock Up= Freezes, can't control alt or esc, or anything, must cut off at
    > CPU.

    When does it freeze? Right after "Starting windows," or after the splash
    screen, or... ?

    - Bill

    Don't use the "active" stuff; just make sure you have a firewall then
    run the AV program once a week or so.

    AVG www.grisoft.com works fine with WinME as well as XP

    Rick

    Sue wrote:
    > I am in desperate help to find a AV program that will not lock up my
    > computer, which I use rarely (hubby will use at times, I have a new XP)
    >
    > I know it is old, and only have programs installed that are essential. Like
    > systray, lol.
    > Norton's, Trend, etc, will not work due to the requirements, as most new
    > anti viral programs wont.
    >
    > Over the years I have not added any additional programs than what it came
    > with, so I can only surmise with the newer AVP, the windowsME has not been
    > able to keep up with the changing technology?
    >
    > I disabled a ton of useless stuff in startup, 5 yrs ago that came with the
    > computer preinstalled, at the guidance of the windowsME tech support
    > installer...
    >
    > I have 127.0 MB Ram which is what it came with, as you all know, most of the
    > AVP requires that or more.
    >
    > I have tried most every AVP I could find, yet it still locks.
    >
    > Done the safe mode scan disk, etc. empty the common files, i.e. temp,
    > history, etc. nothing helps .
    >
    > Before I take the CPU to CompUSA to reformat, is there anything else we can
    > do from here to make this work?
    >
    > I do not have any virus's, adware, etc. on the computer.
    >
    > I have been coming to the tech boards for years to know how to check for the
    > above etc. This has been an ongoing problem,. since the computer grew older.
    > 5 years old.
    > RAM - 127.0
    > GB - used 4.44
    > free 34.7
    >
    > As a test I uninstalled whatever AVP (been trying quite a few here lately),
    > that was installed, and it did not lock up, for every AVP I installed, once
    > removed, it worked like a charm.
    >
    > Lock Up= Freezes, can't control alt or esc, or anything, must cut off at
    > CPU.
    > (even bought another mouse just in case, wasn't the problem)
    > No conflicts showing in Device Manager.
    >
    > I keep the computer updated with whatever patches, or installations they
    > still have for WinMe.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks

    freezes either when we cut it on, or during usage.
    firewall?? I laugh, due to the fact that even when I installed that, it
    happened.

    What if I bought more RAM?

    If there is a conflict, damn if I can find it.
    I will try the suggestions and see what works. Thanks.
    I have no firewall.
    "William J. Leary Jr." <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote in message
    > "Sue" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> I am in desperate help to find a AV program that will not lock up my
    >> computer, which I use rarely (hubby will use at times, I have a new XP)
    >> ((..omitted..))
    >> I have been coming to the tech boards for years to know how to check for
    > the
    >> above etc. This has been an ongoing problem,. since the computer grew
    > older.
    >> 5 years old.
    >> RAM - 127.0
    >> GB - used 4.44
    >> free 34.7
    >
    > I had Windows ME running with Nortons AV (only, no other Nortons
    > utilities/features) on a 400MHz AMD with 128M of RAM and a 5G hard drive
    > up
    > to a couple of months ago. The system isn't running now only because my
    > son
    > (who had it has his apartment) now has access to his girlfriends computer
    > (much newer).
    >
    >> As a test I uninstalled whatever AVP (been trying quite a few here
    > lately),
    >> that was installed, and it did not lock up, for every AVP I installed,
    > once
    >> removed, it worked like a charm.
    >
    > It sure sounds like it's got a conflict with something.
    >
    >> Lock Up= Freezes, can't control alt or esc, or anything, must cut off at
    >> CPU.
    >
    > When does it freeze? Right after "Starting windows," or after the splash
    > screen, or... ?
    >
    > - Bill

    Sue, you should be just fine with 128M RAM. Is the system fully patched via
    windows updates?

    With your AVs, did you use email scanning features? These features are more
    for show than substance and should be turned off. Email scanners will
    generally cause problems in winME

    Good luck, Sue. Hope things work out.
    > freezes either when we cut it on, or during usage.
    > firewall?? I laugh, due to the fact that even when I installed that, it
    > happened.
    >
    > What if I bought more RAM?
    >
    > If there is a conflict, damn if I can find it.
    > I will try the suggestions and see what works. Thanks.
    > I have no firewall.
    > "William J. Leary Jr." <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote in message
    > > "Sue" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > >> I am in desperate help to find a AV program that will not lock up my
    > >> computer, which I use rarely (hubby will use at times, I have a new XP)
    > >> ((..omitted..))
    > >> I have been coming to the tech boards for years to know how to check
    for
    > > the
    > >> above etc. This has been an ongoing problem,. since the computer grew
    > > older.
    > >> 5 years old.
    > >> RAM - 127.0
    > >> GB - used 4.44
    > >> free 34.7
    > >
    > > I had Windows ME running with Nortons AV (only, no other Nortons
    > > utilities/features) on a 400MHz AMD with 128M of RAM and a 5G hard drive
    > > up
    > > to a couple of months ago. The system isn't running now only because my
    > > son
    > > (who had it has his apartment) now has access to his girlfriends
    computer
    > > (much newer).
    > >
    > >> As a test I uninstalled whatever AVP (been trying quite a few here
    > > lately),
    > >> that was installed, and it did not lock up, for every AVP I installed,
    > > once
    > >> removed, it worked like a charm.
    > >
    > > It sure sounds like it's got a conflict with something.
    > >
    > >> Lock Up= Freezes, can't control alt or esc, or anything, must cut off
    at
    > >> CPU.
    > >
    > > When does it freeze? Right after "Starting windows," or after the
    splash
    > > screen, or... ?
    > >
    > > - Bill

    Yes thru the add/remove , then went to search and removed anything that was
    there. NO firewall, I can't get an AVP without locking up, not adding a
    firewall.
    "KB" <KB@discussions.winme> wrote in message
> [...]
    > lately),
    >> that was installed, and it did not lock up, for every AVP I installed,
    > once
    >> removed, it worked like a charm.
    >>
    >> Lock Up= Freezes, can't control alt or esc, or anything, must cut off at
    >> CPU.
    >> (even bought another mouse just in case, wasn't the problem)
    >> No conflicts showing in Device Manager.
    >>
    >> I keep the computer updated with whatever patches, or installations they
    >> still have for WinMe.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    Sue, you should be just fine with 128M RAM. Is the system fully patched via
    windows updates?

    With your AVs, did you use email scanning features? These features are more
    for show than substance and should be turned off. Email scanners will
    generally cause problems in winME. They reeked havoc on my system.

    I'd give avast a try if I were you. You'll need to register and renew after
    one year. It's a nice AV and is superior to AVG in terms of protection.
    Opt to not install the email scanner by selecting the custom installation
    (bottom of three choices) and unchecking the email scanner.

    Good luck, Sue.

    > Sue, you should be just fine with 128M RAM. Is the system fully patched
    via
    > windows updates?
    >
    > With your AVs, did you use email scanning features? These features are
    more
    > for show than substance and should be turned off.

    Mine catches six or seven message a week. But, you may be right, especially
    for a resource limited system. With very few execptions, all the items my
    AV mail scanner catches are attachments, which I wouldn't have opened
    anyway, or HTML, which I've got disabled. I had this feature turned off on
    my son's system (400MHz, 128MB) because it did indeed bog it down. In fact,
    sometimes it looked like the system as frozen solid. We discovered it
    wasn't actually frozen when it "hung up" once and we were too busy with
    something else to get to it and reboot it. It came back on it's own
    something like a half hour later.

    > Email scanners will
    > generally cause problems in winME

    I've had problems with NAV during startup (it seems to LOVE to find
    conflicts), but not with mail scanning features. This is likely a
    sitiatuion where YMMV.

    > Good luck, Sue. Hope things work out.

    But for all of what I've said here, I'd also suggest (as you did) Avast for
    this system.

    -------------------
    "Sue" <nospam@comcast.net>
    > freezes either when we cut it on, or during usage.

    Odd one. Usually it's one or the other.

    > What if I bought more RAM?

    Wouldn't hurt, but it's probably not necessary.

    - Bill

    Norton is a virus LOL. Thanks for the feedback.

    KB
    > "KB" <KB@discussions.winme> wrote in message
    > > Sue, you should be just fine with 128M RAM. Is the system fully patched
    > via
    > > windows updates?
    > >
    > > With your AVs, did you use email scanning features? These features are
    > more
    > > for show than substance and should be turned off.
    >
    > Mine catches six or seven message a week. But, you may be right,
    especially
    > for a resource limited system. With very few execptions, all the items my
    > AV mail scanner catches are attachments, which I wouldn't have opened
    > anyway, or HTML, which I've got disabled. I had this feature turned off
    on
    > my son's system (400MHz, 128MB) because it did indeed bog it down. In
    fact,
    > sometimes it looked like the system as frozen solid. We discovered it
    > wasn't actually frozen when it "hung up" once and we were too busy with
    > something else to get to it and reboot it. It came back on it's own
    > something like a half hour later.
    >
    > > Email scanners will
    > > generally cause problems in winME
    >
    > I've had problems with NAV during startup (it seems to LOVE to find
    > conflicts), but not with mail scanning features. This is likely a
    > sitiatuion where YMMV.
    >
    > > Good luck, Sue. Hope things work out.
    >
    > But for all of what I've said here, I'd also suggest (as you did) Avast
    for
    > this system.
    >
    > -------------------
    > "Sue" <nospam@comcast.net>
    > > freezes either when we cut it on, or during usage.
    >
    > Odd one. Usually it's one or the other.
    >
    > > What if I bought more RAM?
    >
    > Wouldn't hurt, but it's probably not necessary.
    >
    > - Bill

    Thanks to all that helped, I just dl the trial version of the AVG with
    firewall and disabled the email features. Keep your fingers crossed.
    Not worried about email, we never open attachments anyway and rarely use
    that computer. My fear is, it will work for a while a week or so then
    freeze.
    I agree, conflict somewhere.
    I have all Patches that are available thru Microsoft.
    If this one freezes then I will take to CompUsa and let them reformat, I
    have no clue as to how to do this, and just start over again. Like I said it
    is a back up. The short time I had no protection, (while looking for a AVP)
    ran a scan in both safe mode and non and had no virus.
    There may be something lurking in there, but it isn't showing.
    Will keep you informed.
    I just do not understand why it works great with no AVP installed. But we
    are on Cable and intranet the two systems together instead of going
    wireless, so I didn't want to have nothing on there but for so long.
    One question: Is a firewall that important? I dare not install spyware,
    adware programs, it just doesn't work.
    I can alway tell Compusa to add more RAM. But I say lets start from scratch,
    see what happens.
    Again thanks so much!!!
    "Sue" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I am in desperate help to find a AV program that will not lock up my
    >computer, which I use rarely (hubby will use at times, I have a new XP)
    >
    > I know it is old, and only have programs installed that are essential.
    > Like systray, lol.
    > Norton's, Trend, etc, will not work due to the requirements, as most new
    > anti viral programs wont.
    >
    > Over the years I have not added any additional programs than what it came
    > with, so I can only surmise with the newer AVP, the windowsME has not been
    > able to keep up with the changing technology?
    >
    > I disabled a ton of useless stuff in startup, 5 yrs ago that came with the
    > computer preinstalled, at the guidance of the windowsME tech support
    > installer...
    >
    > I have 127.0 MB Ram which is what it came with, as you all know, most of
    > the AVP requires that or more.
    >
    > I have tried most every AVP I could find, yet it still locks.
    >
    > Done the safe mode scan disk, etc. empty the common files, i.e. temp,
    > history, etc. nothing helps .
    >
    > Before I take the CPU to CompUSA to reformat, is there anything else we
    > can do from here to make this work?
    >
    > I do not have any virus's, adware, etc. on the computer.
    >
    > I have been coming to the tech boards for years to know how to check for
    > the above etc. This has been an ongoing problem,. since the computer grew
    > older. 5 years old.
    > RAM - 127.0
    > GB - used 4.44
    > free 34.7
    >
    > As a test I uninstalled whatever AVP (been trying quite a few here
    > lately), that was installed, and it did not lock up, for every AVP I
    > installed, once removed, it worked like a charm.
    >
    > Lock Up= Freezes, can't control alt or esc, or anything, must cut off at
    > CPU.
    > (even bought another mouse just in case, wasn't the problem)
    > No conflicts showing in Device Manager.
    >
    > I keep the computer updated with whatever patches, or installations they
    > still have for WinMe.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks

    >> With your AVs, did you use email scanning features? These features are
    > more
    >> for show than substance and should be turned off.
    >
    > Mine catches six or seven message a week. But, you may be right,
    > especially
    > for a resource limited system. With very few execptions, all the items my

    Anti-virus programs running in the background scan what you click on,
    therefore they scan your messages anyway when you attempt to open them. Even
    Symantec (used to) officially admit that e-mail scanning was redundant.

    Shane

    > one year. It's a nice AV and is superior to AVG in terms of protection.

    In your opinion, KB. Not in mine.

    Shane

    "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> With your AVs, did you use email scanning features? These features are
    > >> more for show than substance and should be turned off.
    > >
    > > Mine catches six or seven message a week. But, you may be right,
    > > especially for a resource limited system. With very few execptions,
    > > all the items my
    >
    > Anti-virus programs running in the background scan what you click on,
    > therefore they scan your messages anyway when you attempt to open them.

    As I recall, this scans things (programs as well as e-mail) open. But it
    also scans on receive or send as well. It's the automatic "scan on receive"
    that's doing the catches I noted above.

    > Even Symantec (used to) officially admit that e-mail scanning was
    redundant.

    I prefer to have them caught as they come in. And it may not be redundant
    if you've got your run-time scanning turned off* when you get around to
    opening the message. The earlier they're killed the better.

    - Bill
    _______________
    * Such as, to do a software install.

    If you add 128 RAM, you will notice a big difference in performance.

    Alias

> [...]

    >> older. 5 years old.
    >> RAM - 127.0
    >> GB - used 4.44
    >> free 34.7
    >>
    >> As a test I uninstalled whatever AVP (been trying quite a few here
    >> lately), that was installed, and it did not lock up, for every AVP I
    >> installed, once removed, it worked like a charm.
    >>
    >> Lock Up= Freezes, can't control alt or esc, or anything, must cut off at
    >> CPU.
    >> (even bought another mouse just in case, wasn't the problem)
    >> No conflicts showing in Device Manager.
    >>
    >> I keep the computer updated with whatever patches, or installations they
    >> still have for WinMe.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > I prefer to have them caught as they come in. And it may not be redundant
    > if you've got your run-time scanning turned off* when you get around to

    Why have an on-accessAV at all if you're going to turn it off before opening
    the main source of viruses? What a bloody stupid thing to do!

    > opening the message. The earlier they're killed the better.

    Yeah. and the higher, the fewer, too.

    > > I prefer to have them caught as they come in. And it may not be
    redundant
    > > if you've got your run-time scanning turned off* when you get around to
    >
    > Why have an on-accessAV at all if you're going to turn it off before
    opening
    > the main source of viruses? What a bloody stupid thing to do!

    Read the footnote.

    If you've done that, and happen to forget it's off (simple human error, not
    "bloody stupid thing") there you are.

    - Bill
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Really, Shane? Why do you feel as such? I've gotten several MVP directions
    to Mow down AVG and step up to Avast?

    Not second guessing, just curious.

    KB
    > > one year. It's a nice AV and is superior to AVG in terms of protection.
    >
    > In your opinion, KB. Not in mine.
    >

    > Shane

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    KB,

    I've been using AVG for years now without infection. Personally I dislike
    Avast for what I consider a cluttered interface, but also because when I ran
    tests on 9 DOS AV scanners, Avast's performed poorly (so did AVG's!).

    The point, really, is that it's a complex subject that will always be
    opinion only, unless you have some very rigorous testing to back it up (far
    more rigorous than mine, for eg!).

    As for MVPs, there are very few expert in security. Indeed, there are very
    few expert full stop, and these days the award appears to be more in the
    gift of the PR dept. (though I have great respect for certain MVPs here!).

    Try alt.comp.virus and alt.comp.antivirus for AV expertise - alas, even
    those are being overrun by respondents with an unrealistically-high opinion
    of their own competence!

    Shane

    KB wrote:
    > Really, Shane? Why do you feel as such? I've gotten several MVP
    > directions to Mow down AVG and step up to Avast?
    >
    > Not second guessing, just curious.
    >
    > KB
    > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> one year. It's a nice AV and is superior to AVG in terms of
    >>> protection.
    >>
    >> In your opinion, KB. Not in mine.
    >>

    >> Shane
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    KB,

    You like to see bikes go really fast - you're obviously intelligent.

    ;-)

    It scarcely matters which AV you run, so long as you practice Safe Hex:
    http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

    > KB,
    >
    > I've been using AVG for years now without infection. Personally I dislike
    > Avast for what I consider a cluttered interface, but also because when I
    ran
    > tests on 9 DOS AV scanners, Avast's performed poorly (so did AVG's!).
    >
    > The point, really, is that it's a complex subject that will always be
    > opinion only, unless you have some very rigorous testing to back it up
    (far
    > more rigorous than mine, for eg!).
    >
    > As for MVPs, there are very few expert in security. Indeed, there are very
    > few expert full stop, and these days the award appears to be more in the
    > gift of the PR dept. (though I have great respect for certain MVPs here!).
    >
    > Try alt.comp.virus and alt.comp.antivirus for AV expertise - alas, even
    > those are being overrun by respondents with an unrealistically-high
    opinion
    > of their own competence!
    >

    > Shane
    >

    > KB wrote:
    > > Really, Shane? Why do you feel as such? I've gotten several MVP
    > > directions to Mow down AVG and step up to Avast?
    > >
    > > Not second guessing, just curious.
    > >
    > > KB
    > > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> In your opinion, KB. Not in mine.
    > >>

    > >> Shane

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    You're right, Shane. Avast is a bit <g> cluttered. After a while, with
    some tweaks it isn't all that bad. As with everything, you get used to it
    with time.

    The problem I was having was the conflict between AVG and ZA. They behaved
    like two wild cats locked in a box. They just kept breaking each other and
    I suspect that the AVG auto scans and auto updates were the cause.
    Regardless of the many attempts to configure them, couldn't get them to run
    smoothly. This will go down as an "Unsolved Mystery".

    With yourself running Kerio, there's likely no problem.

    And, as you note, safehex is the best AV/Firewall in the world. And, it's
    free <vbg>

    Take care, Shane.

    KB
    "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > KB,
    >
    > I've been using AVG for years now without infection. Personally I dislike
    > Avast for what I consider a cluttered interface, but also because when I
    ran
    > tests on 9 DOS AV scanners, Avast's performed poorly (so did AVG's!).
    >
    > The point, really, is that it's a complex subject that will always be
    > opinion only, unless you have some very rigorous testing to back it up
    (far
    > more rigorous than mine, for eg!).
    >
    > As for MVPs, there are very few expert in security. Indeed, there are very
    > few expert full stop, and these days the award appears to be more in the
    > gift of the PR dept. (though I have great respect for certain MVPs here!).
    >
    > Try alt.comp.virus and alt.comp.antivirus for AV expertise - alas, even
    > those are being overrun by respondents with an unrealistically-high
    opinion
    > of their own competence!
    >

    > Shane
    >

    > KB wrote:
    > > Really, Shane? Why do you feel as such? I've gotten several MVP
    > > directions to Mow down AVG and step up to Avast?
    > >
    > > Not second guessing, just curious.
    > >
    > > KB
    > > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> In your opinion, KB. Not in mine.
    > >>

    > >> Shane

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Hee hee hee. I love to see bikes go really fast. In fact, I saw one going
    really fast the other day, on the freeway with patrol cars in hot pursuit.
    Caught up with 'em about 20 miles down the road, the rider didn't get away.

    KB
    > KB,
    >
    > You like to see bikes go really fast - you're obviously intelligent.
    >
    > ;-)
    >
    > It scarcely matters which AV you run, so long as you practice Safe Hex:
    > http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html
    >

    > Shane
    >
    > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > KB,
    > >
    > > I've been using AVG for years now without infection. Personally I
    dislike
    > > Avast for what I consider a cluttered interface, but also because when I
    > ran
    > > tests on 9 DOS AV scanners, Avast's performed poorly (so did AVG's!).
    > >
    > > The point, really, is that it's a complex subject that will always be
    > > opinion only, unless you have some very rigorous testing to back it up
    > (far
    > > more rigorous than mine, for eg!).
    > >
    > > As for MVPs, there are very few expert in security. Indeed, there are
    very
    > > few expert full stop, and these days the award appears to be more in the
    > > gift of the PR dept. (though I have great respect for certain MVPs
    here!).

    > > Try alt.comp.virus and alt.comp.antivirus for AV expertise - alas, even
    > > those are being overrun by respondents with an unrealistically-high
    > opinion
    > > of their own competence!
    > >

    > > Shane
    > >

    > > KB wrote:
    > > > Really, Shane? Why do you feel as such? I've gotten several MVP
    > > > directions to Mow down AVG and step up to Avast?
    > > >
    > > > Not second guessing, just curious.
    > > >
    > > > KB
    > > > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Shane, have you seen this:

    http://forums.kerio.com/index.php?t=msg&th=7040&start=0&S=36baea0f9b9e05ac87b506cdd2b0569b

    Not sure if it applies, in your case, but felt I should share this with you.

    Take care,

    KB
    "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > KB,
    >
    > I've been using AVG for years now without infection. Personally I dislike
    > Avast for what I consider a cluttered interface, but also because when I
    ran
    > tests on 9 DOS AV scanners, Avast's performed poorly (so did AVG's!).
    >
    > The point, really, is that it's a complex subject that will always be
    > opinion only, unless you have some very rigorous testing to back it up
    (far
    > more rigorous than mine, for eg!).
    >
    > As for MVPs, there are very few expert in security. Indeed, there are very
    > few expert full stop, and these days the award appears to be more in the
    > gift of the PR dept. (though I have great respect for certain MVPs here!).
    >
    > Try alt.comp.virus and alt.comp.antivirus for AV expertise - alas, even
    > those are being overrun by respondents with an unrealistically-high
    opinion
    > of their own competence!
    >

    > Shane
    >

    > KB wrote:
    > > Really, Shane? Why do you feel as such? I've gotten several MVP
    > > directions to Mow down AVG and step up to Avast?
    > >
    > > Not second guessing, just curious.
    > >
    > > KB
    > > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> In your opinion, KB. Not in mine.
    > >>

    > >> Shane

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    I was going *pretty* fast this afternoon when I noticed a patrol car in the
    central reservation doing what looked like filming me. I slammed the anchors
    on. I don't think I exceeded the limit by an actionable amount, I was just
    on the way there. But it could get interesting. I can feel my
    righteous-indignation circuits crackling into life!

    Shane

    KB wrote:
    > Hee hee hee. I love to see bikes go really fast. In fact, I saw one
    > going really fast the other day, on the freeway with patrol cars in
    > hot pursuit. Caught up with 'em about 20 miles down the road, the
    > rider didn't get away.
    >
    > KB
    > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> KB,
    >>
    >> You like to see bikes go really fast - you're obviously intelligent.
    >>
    >> ;-)
    >>
    >> It scarcely matters which AV you run, so long as you practice Safe
    >> Hex: http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html
    >>

    >> Shane
    >>
    >> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> KB,
    >>>
    >>> I've been using AVG for years now without infection. Personally I
    >>> dislike Avast for what I consider a cluttered interface, but also
    >>> because when I ran tests on 9 DOS AV scanners, Avast's performed
    >>> poorly (so did AVG's!).
    >>>
    >>> The point, really, is that it's a complex subject that will always
    >>> be opinion only, unless you have some very rigorous testing to back
    >>> it up (far more rigorous than mine, for eg!).
    >>>
    >>> As for MVPs, there are very few expert in security. Indeed, there
    >>> are very few expert full stop, and these days the award appears to
    >>> be more in the gift of the PR dept. (though I have great respect
    >>> for certain MVPs here!).
    >>>
    >>> Try alt.comp.virus and alt.comp.antivirus for AV expertise - alas,
    >>> even those are being overrun by respondents with an
    >>> unrealistically-high opinion of their own competence!
    >>>

    >>> Shane

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Boy, don't you hate that feeling of total consciousness, where things move
    in slow motion?

    You should have waved and got on the gas! <VBG>

    Take it easy, Shane.

    KB

    > I was going *pretty* fast this afternoon when I noticed a patrol car in
    the
    > central reservation doing what looked like filming me. I slammed the
    anchors
    > on. I don't think I exceeded the limit by an actionable amount, I was just
    > on the way there. But it could get interesting. I can feel my
    > righteous-indignation circuits crackling into life!
    >

    > Shane
    >

    > KB wrote:
    > > Hee hee hee. I love to see bikes go really fast. In fact, I saw one
    > > going really fast the other day, on the freeway with patrol cars in
    > > hot pursuit. Caught up with 'em about 20 miles down the road, the
    > > rider didn't get away.
    > >
    > > KB
    > > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> KB,
    > >>
    > >> You like to see bikes go really fast - you're obviously intelligent.
    > >>
    > >> ;-)
    > >>
    > >> It scarcely matters which AV you run, so long as you practice Safe
    > >> Hex: http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html
    > >>

    > >> Shane
    > >>
    > >> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Cheers, mate! No, it doesn't affect me while I use the aged KPF 2.1.5, but
    it does in the sense I hoped one day they'd perfect the 4x series. That is a
    very interesting development indeed!

    Shane

    KB wrote:
    > Shane, have you seen this:
    >
    > http://forums.kerio.com/index.php?t=msg&th=7040&start=0&S=36baea0f9b9e05ac87b506cdd2b0569b
    >
    > Not sure if it applies, in your case, but felt I should share this
    > with you.
    >
    > Take care,
    >
    > KB
    > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> KB,
    >>
    >> I've been using AVG for years now without infection. Personally I
    >> dislike Avast for what I consider a cluttered interface, but also
    >> because when I ran tests on 9 DOS AV scanners, Avast's performed
    >> poorly (so did AVG's!).
    >>
    >> The point, really, is that it's a complex subject that will always be
    >> opinion only, unless you have some very rigorous testing to back it
    >> up (far more rigorous than mine, for eg!).
    >>
    >> As for MVPs, there are very few expert in security. Indeed, there
    >> are very few expert full stop, and these days the award appears to
    >> be more in the gift of the PR dept. (though I have great respect for
    >> certain MVPs here!).
    >>
    >> Try alt.comp.virus and alt.comp.antivirus for AV expertise - alas,
    >> even those are being overrun by respondents with an
    >> unrealistically-high opinion of their own competence!
    >>

    >> Shane
    >>

    >> KB wrote:
    >>> Really, Shane? Why do you feel as such? I've gotten several MVP
    >>> directions to Mow down AVG and step up to Avast?
    >>>
    >>> Not second guessing, just curious.
    >>>
    >>> KB
    >>> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    > Boy, don't you hate that feeling of total consciousness, where things
    > move in slow motion?

    Not so bad when accompanied by trails.

    Shane
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Not a good time to be on the bike though <VBG>

    KB
    > > Boy, don't you hate that feeling of total consciousness, where things
    > > move in slow motion?
    >
    > Not so bad when accompanied by trails.
    >

    > Shane

  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    ;-)

    Shane

    > Not a good time to be on the bike though <VBG>
    >
    > KB
    > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Boy, don't you hate that feeling of total consciousness, where
    >>> things move in slow motion?
    >>
    >> Not so bad when accompanied by trails.
    >>

    >> Shane

Windows