AntiVirus Programs Freezes

sue

I am in desperate help to find a AV program that will not lock up my
computer, which I use rarely (hubby will use at times, I have a new XP)

I know it is old, and only have programs installed that are essential. Like
systray, lol.
Norton's, Trend, etc, will not work due to the requirements, as most new
anti viral programs wont.

Over the years I have not added any additional programs than what it came
with, so I can only surmise with the newer AVP, the windowsME has not been
able to keep up with the changing technology?

I disabled a ton of useless stuff in startup, 5 yrs ago that came with the
computer preinstalled, at the guidance of the windowsME tech support
installer...

I have 127.0 MB Ram which is what it came with, as you all know, most of the
AVP requires that or more.

I have tried most every AVP I could find, yet it still locks.

Done the safe mode scan disk, etc. empty the common files, i.e. temp,
history, etc. nothing helps .

Before I take the CPU to CompUSA to reformat, is there anything else we can
do from here to make this work?

I do not have any virus's, adware, etc. on the computer.

I have been coming to the tech boards for years to know how to check for the
above etc. This has been an ongoing problem,. since the computer grew older.
5 years old.
RAM - 127.0
GB - used 4.44
free 34.7

As a test I uninstalled whatever AVP (been trying quite a few here lately),
that was installed, and it did not lock up, for every AVP I installed, once
removed, it worked like a charm.

Lock Up= Freezes, can't control alt or esc, or anything, must cut off at
CPU.
(even bought another mouse just in case, wasn't the problem)
No conflicts showing in Device Manager.

I keep the computer updated with whatever patches, or installations they
still have for WinMe.

Any ideas?

Thanks

KB

Hi, Sue. Which firewall are you using? Did you remove the AVs programs
through add/remove programs? I've, in the past run AVG with ZoneAlarm and
those proggies fought each other to the bitter end. I'm now running Avast
along with ZoneAlarm (both free) in perfect harmony.

If you'd like to give Avast a whirl, it can be found here:

http://avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

Good luck and let us know how things turn out, ok?

KB
"Sue" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I am in desperate help to find a AV program that will not lock up my
> computer, which I use rarely (hubby will use at times, I have a new XP)
>
> I know it is old, and only have programs installed that are essential.
Like
> systray, lol.
> Norton's, Trend, etc, will not work due to the requirements, as most new
> anti viral programs wont.
>
> Over the years I have not added any additional programs than what it came
> with, so I can only surmise with the newer AVP, the windowsME has not been
> able to keep up with the changing technology?
>
> I disabled a ton of useless stuff in startup, 5 yrs ago that came with the
> computer preinstalled, at the guidance of the windowsME tech support
> installer...
>
> I have 127.0 MB Ram which is what it came with, as you all know, most of
the
> AVP requires that or more.
>
> I have tried most every AVP I could find, yet it still locks.
>
> Done the safe mode scan disk, etc. empty the common files, i.e. temp,
> history, etc. nothing helps .
>
> Before I take the CPU to CompUSA to reformat, is there anything else we
can
> do from here to make this work?
>
> I do not have any virus's, adware, etc. on the computer.
>
> I have been coming to the tech boards for years to know how to check for
the
> above etc. This has been an ongoing problem,. since the computer grew
older.
> 5 years old.
> RAM - 127.0
> GB - used 4.44
> free 34.7
>
> As a test I uninstalled whatever AVP (been trying quite a few here
lately),
> that was installed, and it did not lock up, for every AVP I installed,
once
> removed, it worked like a charm.
>
> Lock Up= Freezes, can't control alt or esc, or anything, must cut off at
> CPU.
> (even bought another mouse just in case, wasn't the problem)
> No conflicts showing in Device Manager.
>
> I keep the computer updated with whatever patches, or installations they
> still have for WinMe.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks

"Sue" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I am in desperate help to find a AV program that will not lock up my
> computer, which I use rarely (hubby will use at times, I have a new XP)
> ((..omitted..))
> I have been coming to the tech boards for years to know how to check for
the
> above etc. This has been an ongoing problem,. since the computer grew
older.
> 5 years old.
> RAM - 127.0
> GB - used 4.44
> free 34.7

I had Windows ME running with Nortons AV (only, no other Nortons
utilities/features) on a 400MHz AMD with 128M of RAM and a 5G hard drive up
to a couple of months ago. The system isn't running now only because my son
(who had it has his apartment) now has access to his girlfriends computer
(much newer).

> As a test I uninstalled whatever AVP (been trying quite a few here
lately),
> that was installed, and it did not lock up, for every AVP I installed,
once
> removed, it worked like a charm.

It sure sounds like it's got a conflict with something.

> Lock Up= Freezes, can't control alt or esc, or anything, must cut off at
> CPU.

When does it freeze? Right after "Starting windows," or after the splash
screen, or... ?

- Bill

Don't use the "active" stuff; just make sure you have a firewall then
run the AV program once a week or so.

AVG www.grisoft.com works fine with WinME as well as XP

Rick

Sue wrote:
> I am in desperate help to find a AV program that will not lock up my
> computer, which I use rarely (hubby will use at times, I have a new XP)
>
> I know it is old, and only have programs installed that are essential. Like
> systray, lol.
> Norton's, Trend, etc, will not work due to the requirements, as most new
> anti viral programs wont.
>
> Over the years I have not added any additional programs than what it came
> with, so I can only surmise with the newer AVP, the windowsME has not been
> able to keep up with the changing technology?
>
> I disabled a ton of useless stuff in startup, 5 yrs ago that came with the
> computer preinstalled, at the guidance of the windowsME tech support
> installer...
>
> I have 127.0 MB Ram which is what it came with, as you all know, most of the
> AVP requires that or more.
>
> I have tried most every AVP I could find, yet it still locks.
>
> Done the safe mode scan disk, etc. empty the common files, i.e. temp,
> history, etc. nothing helps .
>
> Before I take the CPU to CompUSA to reformat, is there anything else we can
> do from here to make this work?
>
> I do not have any virus's, adware, etc. on the computer.
>
> I have been coming to the tech boards for years to know how to check for the
> above etc. This has been an ongoing problem,. since the computer grew older.
> 5 years old.
> RAM - 127.0
> GB - used 4.44
> free 34.7
>
> As a test I uninstalled whatever AVP (been trying quite a few here lately),
> that was installed, and it did not lock up, for every AVP I installed, once
> removed, it worked like a charm.
>
> Lock Up= Freezes, can't control alt or esc, or anything, must cut off at
> CPU.
> (even bought another mouse just in case, wasn't the problem)
> No conflicts showing in Device Manager.
>
> I keep the computer updated with whatever patches, or installations they
> still have for WinMe.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks

sue

freezes either when we cut it on, or during usage.
firewall?? I laugh, due to the fact that even when I installed that, it
happened.

What if I bought more RAM?

If there is a conflict, damn if I can find it.
I will try the suggestions and see what works. Thanks.
I have no firewall.
"William J. Leary Jr." <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote in message
> "Sue" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I am in desperate help to find a AV program that will not lock up my
>> computer, which I use rarely (hubby will use at times, I have a new XP)
>> ((..omitted..))
>> I have been coming to the tech boards for years to know how to check for
> the
>> above etc. This has been an ongoing problem,. since the computer grew
> older.
>> 5 years old.
>> RAM - 127.0
>> GB - used 4.44
>> free 34.7
>
> I had Windows ME running with Nortons AV (only, no other Nortons
> utilities/features) on a 400MHz AMD with 128M of RAM and a 5G hard drive
> up
> to a couple of months ago. The system isn't running now only because my
> son
> (who had it has his apartment) now has access to his girlfriends computer
> (much newer).
>
>> As a test I uninstalled whatever AVP (been trying quite a few here
> lately),
>> that was installed, and it did not lock up, for every AVP I installed,
> once
>> removed, it worked like a charm.
>
> It sure sounds like it's got a conflict with something.
>
>> Lock Up= Freezes, can't control alt or esc, or anything, must cut off at
>> CPU.
>
> When does it freeze? Right after "Starting windows," or after the splash
> screen, or... ?
>
> - Bill

KB

Sue, you should be just fine with 128M RAM. Is the system fully patched via
windows updates?

With your AVs, did you use email scanning features? These features are more
for show than substance and should be turned off. Email scanners will
generally cause problems in winME

Good luck, Sue. Hope things work out.
> freezes either when we cut it on, or during usage.
> firewall?? I laugh, due to the fact that even when I installed that, it
> happened.
>
> What if I bought more RAM?
>
> If there is a conflict, damn if I can find it.
> I will try the suggestions and see what works. Thanks.
> I have no firewall.
> "William J. Leary Jr." <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote in message
> > "Sue" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> I am in desperate help to find a AV program that will not lock up my
> >> computer, which I use rarely (hubby will use at times, I have a new XP)
> >> ((..omitted..))
> >> I have been coming to the tech boards for years to know how to check
for
> > the
> >> above etc. This has been an ongoing problem,. since the computer grew
> > older.
> >> 5 years old.
> >> RAM - 127.0
> >> GB - used 4.44
> >> free 34.7
> >
> > I had Windows ME running with Nortons AV (only, no other Nortons
> > utilities/features) on a 400MHz AMD with 128M of RAM and a 5G hard drive
> > up
> > to a couple of months ago. The system isn't running now only because my
> > son
> > (who had it has his apartment) now has access to his girlfriends
computer
> > (much newer).
> >
> >> As a test I uninstalled whatever AVP (been trying quite a few here
> > lately),
> >> that was installed, and it did not lock up, for every AVP I installed,
> > once
> >> removed, it worked like a charm.
> >
> > It sure sounds like it's got a conflict with something.
> >
> >> Lock Up= Freezes, can't control alt or esc, or anything, must cut off
at
> >> CPU.
> >
> > When does it freeze? Right after "Starting windows," or after the
splash
> > screen, or... ?
> >
> > - Bill

sue

Yes thru the add/remove , then went to search and removed anything that was
there. NO firewall, I can't get an AVP without locking up, not adding a
firewall.
"KB" <KB@discussions.winme> wrote in message
> [...]
> lately),
>> that was installed, and it did not lock up, for every AVP I installed,
> once
>> removed, it worked like a charm.
>>
>> Lock Up= Freezes, can't control alt or esc, or anything, must cut off at
>> CPU.
>> (even bought another mouse just in case, wasn't the problem)
>> No conflicts showing in Device Manager.
>>
>> I keep the computer updated with whatever patches, or installations they
>> still have for WinMe.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks

KB

Sue, you should be just fine with 128M RAM. Is the system fully patched via
windows updates?

With your AVs, did you use email scanning features? These features are more
for show than substance and should be turned off. Email scanners will
generally cause problems in winME. They reeked havoc on my system.

I'd give avast a try if I were you. You'll need to register and renew after
one year. It's a nice AV and is superior to AVG in terms of protection.
Opt to not install the email scanner by selecting the custom installation
(bottom of three choices) and unchecking the email scanner.

Good luck, Sue.

> Sue, you should be just fine with 128M RAM. Is the system fully patched
via
> windows updates?
>
> With your AVs, did you use email scanning features? These features are
more
> for show than substance and should be turned off.

Mine catches six or seven message a week. But, you may be right, especially
for a resource limited system. With very few execptions, all the items my
AV mail scanner catches are attachments, which I wouldn't have opened
anyway, or HTML, which I've got disabled. I had this feature turned off on
my son's system (400MHz, 128MB) because it did indeed bog it down. In fact,
sometimes it looked like the system as frozen solid. We discovered it
wasn't actually frozen when it "hung up" once and we were too busy with
something else to get to it and reboot it. It came back on it's own
something like a half hour later.

> Email scanners will
> generally cause problems in winME

I've had problems with NAV during startup (it seems to LOVE to find
conflicts), but not with mail scanning features. This is likely a
sitiatuion where YMMV.

> Good luck, Sue. Hope things work out.

But for all of what I've said here, I'd also suggest (as you did) Avast for
this system.

-------------------
"Sue" <nospam@comcast.net>
> freezes either when we cut it on, or during usage.

Odd one. Usually it's one or the other.

> What if I bought more RAM?

Wouldn't hurt, but it's probably not necessary.

- Bill

KB

Norton is a virus LOL. Thanks for the feedback.

KB
> "KB" <KB@discussions.winme> wrote in message
> > Sue, you should be just fine with 128M RAM. Is the system fully patched
> via
> > windows updates?
> >
> > With your AVs, did you use email scanning features? These features are
> more
> > for show than substance and should be turned off.
>
> Mine catches six or seven message a week. But, you may be right,
especially
> for a resource limited system. With very few execptions, all the items my
> AV mail scanner catches are attachments, which I wouldn't have opened
> anyway, or HTML, which I've got disabled. I had this feature turned off
on
> my son's system (400MHz, 128MB) because it did indeed bog it down. In
fact,
> sometimes it looked like the system as frozen solid. We discovered it
> wasn't actually frozen when it "hung up" once and we were too busy with
> something else to get to it and reboot it. It came back on it's own
> something like a half hour later.
>
> > Email scanners will
> > generally cause problems in winME
>
> I've had problems with NAV during startup (it seems to LOVE to find
> conflicts), but not with mail scanning features. This is likely a
> sitiatuion where YMMV.
>
> > Good luck, Sue. Hope things work out.
>
> But for all of what I've said here, I'd also suggest (as you did) Avast
for
> this system.
>
> -------------------
> "Sue" <nospam@comcast.net>
> > freezes either when we cut it on, or during usage.
>
> Odd one. Usually it's one or the other.
>
> > What if I bought more RAM?
>
> Wouldn't hurt, but it's probably not necessary.
>
> - Bill

sue

Thanks to all that helped, I just dl the trial version of the AVG with
firewall and disabled the email features. Keep your fingers crossed.
Not worried about email, we never open attachments anyway and rarely use
that computer. My fear is, it will work for a while a week or so then
freeze.
I agree, conflict somewhere.
I have all Patches that are available thru Microsoft.
If this one freezes then I will take to CompUsa and let them reformat, I
have no clue as to how to do this, and just start over again. Like I said it
is a back up. The short time I had no protection, (while looking for a AVP)
ran a scan in both safe mode and non and had no virus.
There may be something lurking in there, but it isn't showing.
Will keep you informed.
I just do not understand why it works great with no AVP installed. But we
are on Cable and intranet the two systems together instead of going
wireless, so I didn't want to have nothing on there but for so long.
One question: Is a firewall that important? I dare not install spyware,
adware programs, it just doesn't work.
I can alway tell Compusa to add more RAM. But I say lets start from scratch,
see what happens.
Again thanks so much!!!
"Sue" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I am in desperate help to find a AV program that will not lock up my
>computer, which I use rarely (hubby will use at times, I have a new XP)
>
> I know it is old, and only have programs installed that are essential.
> Like systray, lol.
> Norton's, Trend, etc, will not work due to the requirements, as most new
> anti viral programs wont.
>
> Over the years I have not added any additional programs than what it came
> with, so I can only surmise with the newer AVP, the windowsME has not been
> able to keep up with the changing technology?
>
> I disabled a ton of useless stuff in startup, 5 yrs ago that came with the
> computer preinstalled, at the guidance of the windowsME tech support
> installer...
>
> I have 127.0 MB Ram which is what it came with, as you all know, most of
> the AVP requires that or more.
>
> I have tried most every AVP I could find, yet it still locks.
>
> Done the safe mode scan disk, etc. empty the common files, i.e. temp,
> history, etc. nothing helps .
>
> Before I take the CPU to CompUSA to reformat, is there anything else we
> can do from here to make this work?
>
> I do not have any virus's, adware, etc. on the computer.
>
> I have been coming to the tech boards for years to know how to check for
> the above etc. This has been an ongoing problem,. since the computer grew
> older. 5 years old.
> RAM - 127.0
> GB - used 4.44
> free 34.7
>
> As a test I uninstalled whatever AVP (been trying quite a few here
> lately), that was installed, and it did not lock up, for every AVP I
> installed, once removed, it worked like a charm.
>
> Lock Up= Freezes, can't control alt or esc, or anything, must cut off at
> CPU.
> (even bought another mouse just in case, wasn't the problem)
> No conflicts showing in Device Manager.
>
> I keep the computer updated with whatever patches, or installations they
> still have for WinMe.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks

Shane

>> With your AVs, did you use email scanning features? These features are
> more
>> for show than substance and should be turned off.
>
> Mine catches six or seven message a week. But, you may be right,
> especially
> for a resource limited system. With very few execptions, all the items my

Anti-virus programs running in the background scan what you click on,
therefore they scan your messages anyway when you attempt to open them. Even
Symantec (used to) officially admit that e-mail scanning was redundant.

Shane

Shane

> one year. It's a nice AV and is superior to AVG in terms of protection.

In your opinion, KB. Not in mine.

Shane

"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> With your AVs, did you use email scanning features? These features are
> >> more for show than substance and should be turned off.
> >
> > Mine catches six or seven message a week. But, you may be right,
> > especially for a resource limited system. With very few execptions,
> > all the items my
>
> Anti-virus programs running in the background scan what you click on,
> therefore they scan your messages anyway when you attempt to open them.

As I recall, this scans things (programs as well as e-mail) open. But it
also scans on receive or send as well. It's the automatic "scan on receive"
that's doing the catches I noted above.

> Even Symantec (used to) officially admit that e-mail scanning was
redundant.

I prefer to have them caught as they come in. And it may not be redundant
if you've got your run-time scanning turned off* when you get around to
opening the message. The earlier they're killed the better.

- Bill
_______________
* Such as, to do a software install.

Alias

If you add 128 RAM, you will notice a big difference in performance.

Alias

> [...]

>> can do from here to make this work?
>>
>> I do not have any virus's, adware, etc. on the computer.
>>
>> I have been coming to the tech boards for years to know how to check for
>> the above etc. This has been an ongoing problem,. since the computer grew
>> older. 5 years old.
>> RAM - 127.0
>> GB - used 4.44
>> free 34.7
>>
>> As a test I uninstalled whatever AVP (been trying quite a few here
>> lately), that was installed, and it did not lock up, for every AVP I
>> installed, once removed, it worked like a charm.
>>
>> Lock Up= Freezes, can't control alt or esc, or anything, must cut off at
>> CPU.
>> (even bought another mouse just in case, wasn't the problem)
>> No conflicts showing in Device Manager.
>>
>> I keep the computer updated with whatever patches, or installations they

Shane

> I prefer to have them caught as they come in. And it may not be redundant
> if you've got your run-time scanning turned off* when you get around to

Why have an on-accessAV at all if you're going to turn it off before opening
the main source of viruses? What a bloody stupid thing to do!

> opening the message. The earlier they're killed the better.

Yeah. and the higher, the fewer, too.

> > I prefer to have them caught as they come in. And it may not be
redundant
> > if you've got your run-time scanning turned off* when you get around to
>
> Why have an on-accessAV at all if you're going to turn it off before
opening
> the main source of viruses? What a bloody stupid thing to do!

Read the footnote.

If you've done that, and happen to forget it's off (simple human error, not
"bloody stupid thing") there you are.

- Bill

KB

Really, Shane? Why do you feel as such? I've gotten several MVP directions
to Mow down AVG and step up to Avast?

Not second guessing, just curious.

KB
> > one year. It's a nice AV and is superior to AVG in terms of protection.
>
> In your opinion, KB. Not in mine.
>

> Shane

Shane

KB,

I've been using AVG for years now without infection. Personally I dislike
Avast for what I consider a cluttered interface, but also because when I ran
tests on 9 DOS AV scanners, Avast's performed poorly (so did AVG's!).

The point, really, is that it's a complex subject that will always be
opinion only, unless you have some very rigorous testing to back it up (far
more rigorous than mine, for eg!).

As for MVPs, there are very few expert in security. Indeed, there are very
few expert full stop, and these days the award appears to be more in the
gift of the PR dept. (though I have great respect for certain MVPs here!).

Try alt.comp.virus and alt.comp.antivirus for AV expertise - alas, even
those are being overrun by respondents with an unrealistically-high opinion
of their own competence!

Shane

KB wrote:
> Really, Shane? Why do you feel as such? I've gotten several MVP
> directions to Mow down AVG and step up to Avast?
>
> Not second guessing, just curious.
>
> KB
> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> one year. It's a nice AV and is superior to AVG in terms of
>>> protection.
>>
>> In your opinion, KB. Not in mine.
>>

>> Shane

Shane

KB,

You like to see bikes go really fast - you're obviously intelligent.

;-)

It scarcely matters which AV you run, so long as you practice Safe Hex:
http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

> KB,
>
> I've been using AVG for years now without infection. Personally I dislike
> Avast for what I consider a cluttered interface, but also because when I
ran
> tests on 9 DOS AV scanners, Avast's performed poorly (so did AVG's!).
>
> The point, really, is that it's a complex subject that will always be
> opinion only, unless you have some very rigorous testing to back it up
(far
> more rigorous than mine, for eg!).
>
> As for MVPs, there are very few expert in security. Indeed, there are very
> few expert full stop, and these days the award appears to be more in the
> gift of the PR dept. (though I have great respect for certain MVPs here!).
>
> Try alt.comp.virus and alt.comp.antivirus for AV expertise - alas, even
> those are being overrun by respondents with an unrealistically-high
opinion
> of their own competence!
>

> Shane
>

> KB wrote:
> > Really, Shane? Why do you feel as such? I've gotten several MVP
> > directions to Mow down AVG and step up to Avast?
> >
> > Not second guessing, just curious.
> >
> > KB
> > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> In your opinion, KB. Not in mine.
> >>

> >> Shane

KB

You're right, Shane. Avast is a bit <g> cluttered. After a while, with
some tweaks it isn't all that bad. As with everything, you get used to it
with time.

The problem I was having was the conflict between AVG and ZA. They behaved
like two wild cats locked in a box. They just kept breaking each other and
I suspect that the AVG auto scans and auto updates were the cause.
Regardless of the many attempts to configure them, couldn't get them to run
smoothly. This will go down as an "Unsolved Mystery".

With yourself running Kerio, there's likely no problem.

And, as you note, safehex is the best AV/Firewall in the world. And, it's
free <vbg>

Take care, Shane.

KB
"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> KB,
>
> I've been using AVG for years now without infection. Personally I dislike
> Avast for what I consider a cluttered interface, but also because when I
ran
> tests on 9 DOS AV scanners, Avast's performed poorly (so did AVG's!).
>
> The point, really, is that it's a complex subject that will always be
> opinion only, unless you have some very rigorous testing to back it up
(far
> more rigorous than mine, for eg!).
>
> As for MVPs, there are very few expert in security. Indeed, there are very
> few expert full stop, and these days the award appears to be more in the
> gift of the PR dept. (though I have great respect for certain MVPs here!).
>
> Try alt.comp.virus and alt.comp.antivirus for AV expertise - alas, even
> those are being overrun by respondents with an unrealistically-high
opinion
> of their own competence!
>

> Shane
>

> KB wrote:
> > Really, Shane? Why do you feel as such? I've gotten several MVP
> > directions to Mow down AVG and step up to Avast?
> >
> > Not second guessing, just curious.
> >
> > KB
> > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> In your opinion, KB. Not in mine.
> >>

> >> Shane

KB

Hee hee hee. I love to see bikes go really fast. In fact, I saw one going
really fast the other day, on the freeway with patrol cars in hot pursuit.
Caught up with 'em about 20 miles down the road, the rider didn't get away.

KB
> KB,
>
> You like to see bikes go really fast - you're obviously intelligent.
>
> ;-)
>
> It scarcely matters which AV you run, so long as you practice Safe Hex:
> http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html
>

> Shane
>
> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > KB,
> >
> > I've been using AVG for years now without infection. Personally I
dislike
> > Avast for what I consider a cluttered interface, but also because when I
> ran
> > tests on 9 DOS AV scanners, Avast's performed poorly (so did AVG's!).
> >
> > The point, really, is that it's a complex subject that will always be
> > opinion only, unless you have some very rigorous testing to back it up
> (far
> > more rigorous than mine, for eg!).
> >
> > As for MVPs, there are very few expert in security. Indeed, there are
very
> > few expert full stop, and these days the award appears to be more in the
> > gift of the PR dept. (though I have great respect for certain MVPs
here!).

> > Try alt.comp.virus and alt.comp.antivirus for AV expertise - alas, even
> > those are being overrun by respondents with an unrealistically-high
> opinion
> > of their own competence!
> >

> > Shane
> >

> > KB wrote:
> > > Really, Shane? Why do you feel as such? I've gotten several MVP
> > > directions to Mow down AVG and step up to Avast?
> > >
> > > Not second guessing, just curious.
> > >
> > > KB
> > > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message

KB

Shane, have you seen this:

http://forums.kerio.com/index.php?t=msg&th=7040&start=0&S=36baea0f9b9e05ac87b506cdd2b0569b

Not sure if it applies, in your case, but felt I should share this with you.

Take care,

KB
"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> KB,
>
> I've been using AVG for years now without infection. Personally I dislike
> Avast for what I consider a cluttered interface, but also because when I
ran
> tests on 9 DOS AV scanners, Avast's performed poorly (so did AVG's!).
>
> The point, really, is that it's a complex subject that will always be
> opinion only, unless you have some very rigorous testing to back it up
(far
> more rigorous than mine, for eg!).
>
> As for MVPs, there are very few expert in security. Indeed, there are very
> few expert full stop, and these days the award appears to be more in the
> gift of the PR dept. (though I have great respect for certain MVPs here!).
>
> Try alt.comp.virus and alt.comp.antivirus for AV expertise - alas, even
> those are being overrun by respondents with an unrealistically-high
opinion
> of their own competence!
>

> Shane
>

> KB wrote:
> > Really, Shane? Why do you feel as such? I've gotten several MVP
> > directions to Mow down AVG and step up to Avast?
> >
> > Not second guessing, just curious.
> >
> > KB
> > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> In your opinion, KB. Not in mine.
> >>

> >> Shane

Shane

I was going *pretty* fast this afternoon when I noticed a patrol car in the
central reservation doing what looked like filming me. I slammed the anchors
on. I don't think I exceeded the limit by an actionable amount, I was just
on the way there. But it could get interesting. I can feel my
righteous-indignation circuits crackling into life!

Shane

KB wrote:
> Hee hee hee. I love to see bikes go really fast. In fact, I saw one
> going really fast the other day, on the freeway with patrol cars in
> hot pursuit. Caught up with 'em about 20 miles down the road, the
> rider didn't get away.
>
> KB
> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> KB,
>>
>> You like to see bikes go really fast - you're obviously intelligent.
>>
>> ;-)
>>
>> It scarcely matters which AV you run, so long as you practice Safe
>> Hex: http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html
>>

>> Shane
>>
>> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> KB,
>>>
>>> I've been using AVG for years now without infection. Personally I
>>> dislike Avast for what I consider a cluttered interface, but also
>>> because when I ran tests on 9 DOS AV scanners, Avast's performed
>>> poorly (so did AVG's!).
>>>
>>> The point, really, is that it's a complex subject that will always
>>> be opinion only, unless you have some very rigorous testing to back
>>> it up (far more rigorous than mine, for eg!).
>>>
>>> As for MVPs, there are very few expert in security. Indeed, there
>>> are very few expert full stop, and these days the award appears to
>>> be more in the gift of the PR dept. (though I have great respect
>>> for certain MVPs here!).
>>>
>>> Try alt.comp.virus and alt.comp.antivirus for AV expertise - alas,
>>> even those are being overrun by respondents with an
>>> unrealistically-high opinion of their own competence!
>>>

>>> Shane

KB

Boy, don't you hate that feeling of total consciousness, where things move
in slow motion?

You should have waved and got on the gas! <VBG>

Take it easy, Shane.

KB