Create Shortcut

When opening certain files with a specific icon, a "Create Shortcut" box
comes up instead of the file, asking for comment and command line, amongst
other things.
No idea how this developed, but it could possibly have something to do with
Tweak UI.
So far I was able to get around it but would like to see it fixed. Possible?

Harry.

KB

Try not tweaking the system, that's the best way to not have things break.
It's not a 2005 XP system and it can only do so much. If it's stable and
reliable, you need to live with how it runs and be happy it runs as well as
it does. Not many systems live as long as yours (and mine) has.

KB

> When opening certain files with a specific icon, a "Create Shortcut" box
> comes up instead of the file, asking for comment and command line, amongst
> other things.
> No idea how this developed, but it could possibly have something to do
with
> Tweak UI.
> So far I was able to get around it but would like to see it fixed.
Possible?

> Harry.

Harry,
When you say "opening certain files with a specific icon", 1. How
are you attempting to open them? 2. What kind of files are they (the files
extension)? 3. What is this 'specific' icon (right click on it and check
Properties)? 4. Are all the files associated with a specific program? 5.
Are you doing this from Windows Explorer?
Heirloom, old and pops in once in a while

"KB" <KB@discussions.winme> wrote in message
> Try not tweaking the system, that's the best way to not have things break.
> It's not a 2005 XP system and it can only do so much. If it's stable and
> reliable, you need to live with how it runs and be happy it runs as well
> as
> it does. Not many systems live as long as yours (and mine) has.
>
> KB
>
> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
>> When opening certain files with a specific icon, a "Create Shortcut" box
>> comes up instead of the file, asking for comment and command line,
>> amongst
>> other things.
>> No idea how this developed, but it could possibly have something to do
> with
>> Tweak UI.
>> So far I was able to get around it but would like to see it fixed.
> Possible?
>>
>> Harry.

Sooo many questions, Heirloom.
I'll get back to you soon.

Harry.

"Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
> Harry,
> When you say "opening certain files with a specific icon", 1.
How
> are you attempting to open them? 2. What kind of files are they (the
files
> extension)? 3. What is this 'specific' icon (right click on it and
check
> Properties)? 4. Are all the files associated with a specific program?
5.
> Are you doing this from Windows Explorer?
> Heirloom, old and pops in once in a while
>

> "KB" <KB@discussions.winme> wrote in message
> > Try not tweaking the system, that's the best way to not have things
break.
> > It's not a 2005 XP system and it can only do so much. If it's stable
and
> > reliable, you need to live with how it runs and be happy it runs as well
> > as
> > it does. Not many systems live as long as yours (and mine) has.
> >
> > KB
> >
> > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> >> When opening certain files with a specific icon, a "Create Shortcut"
box
> >> comes up instead of the file, asking for comment and command line,
> >> amongst
> >> other things.
> >> No idea how this developed, but it could possibly have something to do
> > with
> >> Tweak UI.
> >> So far I was able to get around it but would like to see it fixed.
> > Possible?
> >>
> >> Harry.

Don't recall actually tweaking my system, KB,
except for some icon condition, if I remember correctly.
It may not have anything to do with the TweakUI either.
Will have to search for the details Heirloom needs and then we'll see where
the dog is buried.
Thanks.

Harry.

"KB" <KB@discussions.winme> wrote in message
> Try not tweaking the system, that's the best way to not have things break.
> It's not a 2005 XP system and it can only do so much. If it's stable and
> reliable, you need to live with how it runs and be happy it runs as well
as
> it does. Not many systems live as long as yours (and mine) has.
>
> KB
>
> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> > When opening certain files with a specific icon, a "Create Shortcut" box
> > comes up instead of the file, asking for comment and command line,
amongst
> > other things.
> > No idea how this developed, but it could possibly have something to do
> with
> > Tweak UI.
> > So far I was able to get around it but would like to see it fixed.
> Possible?
> >
> > Harry.

Ok, here it is, Heirloom:

1. Open file with single left click (set).
2. Don't know about extension, but the type is XLS and
Dll's, the way it looks, may be others.
3. When trying to open with WordPad, before clicking on
Properties, I get hiroglyphes, suggesting DOS.
Properties itself shows the file as Archive.
4. Ther is a possibility, that Proxyconn (Accelerator) or
Adobe Acrobat may be involved, but can't be sure.
5. Windows Explorer? I should think so.

Hope this helps, Heirloom. If not, I'm stuck with it.

Harry.

"Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
> Harry,
> When you say "opening certain files with a specific icon", 1.
How
> are you attempting to open them? 2. What kind of files are they (the
files
> extension)? 3. What is this 'specific' icon (right click on it and
check
> Properties)? 4. Are all the files associated with a specific program?
5.
> Are you doing this from Windows Explorer?
> Heirloom, old and pops in once in a while
>

> "KB" <KB@discussions.winme> wrote in message
> > Try not tweaking the system, that's the best way to not have things
break.
> > It's not a 2005 XP system and it can only do so much. If it's stable
and
> > reliable, you need to live with how it runs and be happy it runs as well
> > as
> > it does. Not many systems live as long as yours (and mine) has.
> >
> > KB
> >
> > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> >> When opening certain files with a specific icon, a "Create Shortcut"
box
> >> comes up instead of the file, asking for comment and command line,
> >> amongst
> >> other things.
> >> No idea how this developed, but it could possibly have something to do
> > with
> >> Tweak UI.
> >> So far I was able to get around it but would like to see it fixed.
> > Possible?
> >>
> >> Harry.

Harry,
From Windows Explorer, unless I am mistaken, it would take a double
left click to open a file......for the most part, this is going to be
limited to executable type files.
Not familiar with .xls, but, I would assume that would be associated
with Microsoft Excel (spreadsheet).....in which case, you would need to open
this file with Excel. The next one would require another question.....why
are you attempting to open a dynamic link library (.dll)? A .DLL file is a
support file and is used by one or more programs. As an example, if several
parts of a program need to perform the same action that action may be placed
into a .DLL file (library) that the various program parts can all use. This
saves space and makes it easier when that particular routine needs to be
updated. You should NEVER have a need to "open" a .DLL file on its own;
there really is no way to do so. Note: This file type can become infected
and should be carefully scanned if someone sends you a file with this
extension. If you want to look at the resources in a DLL library you can use
a program like PE Resource Explorer but, BE CAREFUL, as messing with a DLL
file can seriously damage Windows or programs if you do the wrong thing.
The [hiroglyphes] you are seeing do not really suggest anything to
do with DOS, but, rather machine language and Archive would, probably, be
the proper setting.
I doubt Proxyconn or Adobe have anything to do with this, with the
possible exception of one or both having resources with the particular
..dll(s) you are fiddling with. In short, quit it......let Windows handle
that. The use of a 'web accelerator' has mixed opinions with the balance
being tipped toward 'more trouble that they are worth.' They utilize proxy
servers and compress some of the site data making things appear a little
faster, however, this is mostly done at the expense of some of the
content........realized gain is debatable.
Lastly, while it is somewhat admirable that you continue to dig and
take things apart to learn more, this should be done with great care and
judiciously. In spite of the opinions of many, I found Me to be a good OS,
however, it does like to remain uncluttered and tends to balk at unprovoked
probes....probably why my Me machine ran for so many years without the need
to reinstall....and a good back up is always the best route to take.
Sorry for the lengthy diatribe, I hope I answered your questions
adequately.
Heirloom, old and really
enjoying the new XP box.

> Ok, here it is, Heirloom:
>
> 1. Open file with single left click (set).
> 2. Don't know about extension, but the type is XLS and
> Dll's, the way it looks, may be others.
> 3. When trying to open with WordPad, before clicking on
> Properties, I get hiroglyphes, suggesting DOS.
> Properties itself shows the file as Archive.
> 4. Ther is a possibility, that Proxyconn (Accelerator) or
> Adobe Acrobat may be involved, but can't be sure.
> 5. Windows Explorer? I should think so.
>
> Hope this helps, Heirloom. If not, I'm stuck with it.
>
> Harry.
>

> "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
>> Harry,
>> When you say "opening certain files with a specific icon", 1.
> How
>> are you attempting to open them? 2. What kind of files are they (the
> files
>> extension)? 3. What is this 'specific' icon (right click on it and
> check
>> Properties)? 4. Are all the files associated with a specific program?
> 5.
>> Are you doing this from Windows Explorer?
>> Heirloom, old and pops in once in a while
>>

>> "KB" <KB@discussions.winme> wrote in message
>> > Try not tweaking the system, that's the best way to not have things
> break.
>> > It's not a 2005 XP system and it can only do so much. If it's stable
> and
>> > reliable, you need to live with how it runs and be happy it runs as
>> > well
>> > as
>> > it does. Not many systems live as long as yours (and mine) has.
>> >
>> > KB
>> >
>> > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> box
>> > with
>> > Possible?

Heirloom:

I appreciate you taking the time to deal with my little problems, which
apparently aren't any.
The XLS file is associated with the email that was being sent and has to do
with M$ Office and I saved it, but I was able to open it directly.
I don't mess with dll files and if DOS isn't involved, there is nothng to
worry about.
Thanks again.

> [...]
> > Properties, I get hiroglyphes, suggesting DOS.
> > Properties itself shows the file as Archive.
> > 4. Ther is a possibility, that Proxyconn (Accelerator) or
> > Adobe Acrobat may be involved, but can't be sure.
> > 5. Windows Explorer? I should think so.
> >
> > Hope this helps, Heirloom. If not, I'm stuck with it.
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
> >> Harry,
> >> When you say "opening certain files with a specific icon", 1.
> > How
> >> are you attempting to open them? 2. What kind of files are they (the
> > files
> >> extension)? 3. What is this 'specific' icon (right click on it and
> > check
> >> Properties)? 4. Are all the files associated with a specific program?
> > 5.
> >> Are you doing this from Windows Explorer?

Heirloom

To come to Harry's defense, you can elect to use single left-click to open
files in Windows Explorer.
I have used this method as long as it has been available.
It is because the outdated double-click method is the default, that not
everyone knows about 'single-click', Harry points out in his post that he
has set it this way.......

>1. Open file with single left click (set).

Although why anyone should want to try to open .dll files, instead of
getting on with their life is a mytery!

George Gee

Heirloom wrote:
> Harry,
> From Windows Explorer, unless I am mistaken, it would take a
> double left click to open a file...... 8< snip

Thanks GG,
Yeah, I am aware of the option to use a single click......it just
didn't "click" with me when I saw the "(set)" reference in the post. Also,
as far as I can tell with a Google search, the .xls extension IS for Excel
spreadsheets......I found no other references to programs that use this,
except for the fact that the Open Office Suite can open and save in this
format.
Oh well, what the h*ll, long as it ain't a .dll
Heirloom, old and must go watch tv

"George Gee" <george.gee@nomaps.com> wrote in message
> Heirloom
>
> To come to Harry's defense, you can elect to use single left-click to open
> files in Windows Explorer.
> I have used this method as long as it has been available.
> It is because the outdated double-click method is the default, that not
> everyone knows about 'single-click', Harry points out in his post that he
> has set it this way.......
>
>>1. Open file with single left click (set).
>
> Although why anyone should want to try to open .dll files, instead of
> getting on with their life is a mytery!
>
> George Gee
>

> Heirloom wrote:
>> Harry,
>> From Windows Explorer, unless I am mistaken, it would take a
>> double left click to open a file...... 8< snip

I agree with you on the single click George I have mine set that way, I
also set it that way for John as he has trouble with double clicking <g>
As for the second part of your post, this is Harry we're talking about who
does seem to get into a lot of trouble with his system <g>
Joan

George Gee wrote:

> Although why anyone should want to try to open .dll files, instead of
> getting on with their life is a mytery!
>
> George Gee

Joan:

Instead of being helpful, you lend yourself to useless downgrading talk.
My problem arose when I tried to open an attachment from a friend in my
email, which I had downloaded to my computer for future access. It was in
the form of an XLS file and the symptoms were the same as in the dll files,
that's all. I do not mess with those, only tried to answer H's question.
Still don't know why I'm getting this 'Create Shortcut' box,
but I got around it anyway.
Thanks for the encouragement.

Harry.

"Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> I agree with you on the single click George I have mine set that way, I
> also set it that way for John as he has trouble with double clicking <g>
> As for the second part of your post, this is Harry we're talking about who
> does seem to get into a lot of trouble with his system <g>
> Joan
>

> George Gee wrote:
> >
> > Although why anyone should want to try to open .dll files, instead of
> > getting on with their life is a mytery!
> >
> > George Gee

Hi Joan <vbg>

Don't try to draw me into that one.......

George Gee

Joan Archer wrote:
> I agree with you on the single click George I have mine set that way,
> I also set it that way for John as he has trouble with double
> clicking <g> As for the second part of your post, this is Harry we're
> talking about who does seem to get into a lot of trouble with his
> system <g>
> Joan
>

> George Gee wrote:
>>
>> Although why anyone should want to try to open .dll files, instead of
>> getting on with their life is a mystery!
>>
>> George Gee

Tut tut, sarcasm and all that...

I get the same thing; sometimes clicking on a file will cause WMP or a
DOS box to open for no reason that I can see. Is it just .xls's ?

Rick

webster72n wrote:
> Joan:
>
> Instead of being helpful, you lend yourself to useless downgrading talk.
> My problem arose when I tried to open an attachment from a friend in my
> email, which I had downloaded to my computer for future access. It was in
> the form of an XLS file and the symptoms were the same as in the dll files,
> that's all. I do not mess with those, only tried to answer H's question.
> Still don't know why I'm getting this 'Create Shortcut' box,
> but I got around it anyway.
> Thanks for the encouragement.
>
> Harry.
>

> "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>
>>I agree with you on the single click George I have mine set that way, I
>>also set it that way for John as he has trouble with double clicking <g>
>>As for the second part of your post, this is Harry we're talking about who
>>does seem to get into a lot of trouble with his system <g>
>>Joan
>>

>>George Gee wrote:
>>
>>>Although why anyone should want to try to open .dll files, instead of
>>>getting on with their life is a mytery!
>>>
>>>George Gee

I wish it were, Rick.
But the same strange behavior ocurrs, when I click on a file that turns out
to be a dll file, as I tried to explain to Heirloom.
Personally I have no intentions to open one of these.
Can you make any sense of that?

Harry.

> Tut tut, sarcasm and all that...
>
> I get the same thing; sometimes clicking on a file will cause WMP or a
> DOS box to open for no reason that I can see. Is it just .xls's ?
>

> Rick
>
> webster72n wrote:
> > Joan:
> >
> > Instead of being helpful, you lend yourself to useless downgrading talk.
> > My problem arose when I tried to open an attachment from a friend in my
> > email, which I had downloaded to my computer for future access. It was
in
> > the form of an XLS file and the symptoms were the same as in the dll
files,
> > that's all. I do not mess with those, only tried to answer H's question.
> > Still don't know why I'm getting this 'Create Shortcut' box,
> > but I got around it anyway.
> > Thanks for the encouragement.
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>I agree with you on the single click George I have mine set that way, I
> >>also set it that way for John as he has trouble with double clicking <g>
> >>As for the second part of your post, this is Harry we're talking about
who
> >>does seem to get into a lot of trouble with his system <g>
> >>Joan

does it do the same thing if you set your clicking properties to "normal" ?

Rick

webster72n wrote:
> I wish it were, Rick.
> But the same strange behavior ocurrs, when I click on a file that turns out
> to be a dll file, as I tried to explain to Heirloom.
> Personally I have no intentions to open one of these.
> Can you make any sense of that?
>
> Harry.
>

> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Tut tut, sarcasm and all that...
>>
>>I get the same thing; sometimes clicking on a file will cause WMP or a
>>DOS box to open for no reason that I can see. Is it just .xls's ?
>>

>>Rick
>>
>>webster72n wrote:
>>
>>>Joan:
>>>
>>>Instead of being helpful, you lend yourself to useless downgrading talk.
>>>My problem arose when I tried to open an attachment from a friend in my
>>>email, which I had downloaded to my computer for future access. It was
>
> in
>
>>>the form of an XLS file and the symptoms were the same as in the dll
>
> files,
>
>>>that's all. I do not mess with those, only tried to answer H's question.
>>>Still don't know why I'm getting this 'Create Shortcut' box,
>>>but I got around it anyway.
>>>Thanks for the encouragement.
>>>
>>> Harry.
>>>

>>>"Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message

> who

<lol> American Chopper <g>
Joan

Heirloom wrote:
> Heirloom, old and must go watch tv

"You can bet your boots", Rick.

Harry.

Joan Archer wrote:
> <lol> American Chopper <g>

of which I ain't seen anything new in awhile... summer vacation ?

Rick

> Joan
>

> Heirloom wrote:
>
>> Heirloom, old and must go watch tv

a quick trip to Folders/Options/Filetypes (or whatever... you know where
I mean) might be in order, though cynicism states that it will look normal.

Rick

webster72n wrote:
> "You can bet your boots", Rick.
>
> Harry.
>

> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>does it do the same thing if you set your clicking properties to "normal"
>
> ?
>

>>Rick
>>

>>webster72n wrote:
>>
>>>I wish it were, Rick.
>>>But the same strange behavior ocurrs, when I click on a file that turns
>
> out
>
>>>to be a dll file, as I tried to explain to Heirloom.
>>>Personally I have no intentions to open one of these.
>>>Can you make any sense of that?
>>>
>>> Harry.
>>>

>>>"Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

> talk.

>>>in

>>>files,

> question.

> <g>

>>>who

Harry,
Do you have Excel on your machine?? If so, have a go at opening
the .xls file with Excel.....I think you will find that it will open and
display some sort of spreadsheet info.
Heirloom, old and need a bigger nap

> Joan:
>
> Instead of being helpful, you lend yourself to useless downgrading talk.
> My problem arose when I tried to open an attachment from a friend in my
> email, which I had downloaded to my computer for future access. It was in
> the form of an XLS file and the symptoms were the same as in the dll
> files,
> that's all. I do not mess with those, only tried to answer H's question.
> Still don't know why I'm getting this 'Create Shortcut' box,
> but I got around it anyway.
> Thanks for the encouragement.
>
> Harry.
>

> "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> I agree with you on the single click George I have mine set that way, I
>> also set it that way for John as he has trouble with double clicking <g>
>> As for the second part of your post, this is Harry we're talking about
>> who
>> does seem to get into a lot of trouble with his system <g>
>> Joan
>>

>> George Gee wrote:
>> >
>> > Although why anyone should want to try to open .dll files, instead of
>> > getting on with their life is a mytery!
>> >
>> > George Gee

If I did, Heirloom, it would have been no problem.
I am sure my friend has it on his machine and that's why.
I was able to print it out directly, except it had my resident email logo
and advertising in it, which doesn't really matter.
Now I have to follow Rick's lead and see what comes up.
Thanks for your participation.

> Harry,
> Do you have Excel on your machine?? If so, have a go at opening
> the .xls file with Excel.....I think you will find that it will open and
> display some sort of spreadsheet info.
> Heirloom, old and need a bigger nap
>

> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Joan:
> >
> > Instead of being helpful, you lend yourself to useless downgrading talk.
> > My problem arose when I tried to open an attachment from a friend in my
> > email, which I had downloaded to my computer for future access. It was
in
> > the form of an XLS file and the symptoms were the same as in the dll
> > files,
> > that's all. I do not mess with those, only tried to answer H's question.
> > Still don't know why I'm getting this 'Create Shortcut' box,
> > but I got around it anyway.
> > Thanks for the encouragement.
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> >> I agree with you on the single click George I have mine set that way, I
> >> also set it that way for John as he has trouble with double clicking
<g>
> >> As for the second part of your post, this is Harry we're talking about
> >> who
> >> does seem to get into a lot of trouble with his system <g>
> >> Joan

<lol> I think it's the 11th September when they're at Bristol they were in
Brighton beginning of this month. On Sunday they have a day of American
Chopper on Discovery and reading the write up they will be ones I haven't
seen even though they have been on before I think <g>
Joan

Rick T wrote:

> of which I ain't seen anything new in awhile... summer vacation ?
>

> Rick

Hey Joanie,
Yup, all of them here are reruns......seen them all. I was
watching the 9-11 program on the National Geographic channel.
Very detailed program, exposed a lot of facts and video that I have never
heard nor seen before.
Heirloom, old and gotta git

> <lol> I think it's the 11th September when they're at Bristol they were in
> Brighton beginning of this month. On Sunday they have a day of American
> Chopper on Discovery and reading the write up they will be ones I haven't
> seen even though they have been on before I think <g>
> Joan
>

> Rick T wrote:
>>
>> of which I ain't seen anything new in awhile... summer vacation ?
>>

>> Rick

Hi Heirloom,
Don't think I saw that although I may have caught bits, not sure.
There are still quite a few of the chopper series I haven't seen yet as I
watch it at 6pm here and they are showing some newer ones at 9pm on a
Monday night and I 'm busy here at that time <g> did catch a few of the
Southern Chopper series.
Have a clip of the OC gang in the DVD I bought recently " Long Way Round"
with Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman.
Joan

Heirloom wrote:
> Hey Joanie,
> Yup, all of them here are reruns......seen them all. I was
> watching the 9-11 program on the National Geographic channel.
> Very detailed program, exposed a lot of facts and video that I have
> never heard nor seen before.
> Heirloom, old and gotta git

TRENDING THREADS