Cannot restore Quick Launch Toolbar

I can no longer activate the Quick Launch toolbar. When
I try to set it up from the Taskbar and Sart Menu
Properties by checking the apprioriate box. But when I
activate or click OK, the box reverts back to unchecked.

What's missing? What needs to be restored? Thanks.

Hi Mark,

This is caused by a malware named BlazeFind. Open Registry Editor and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
In the right-pane, change the value of Userinit to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,"

Type the above value exactly as given, including the comma - exclude the quotes. Also, change the path to userinit.exe approriately, if Windows is installed in a different drive.

Close Registry Editor and restart Windows. The Quick Launch settings should be retained now.

Reference: news:esWEp7FdEHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl

Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/gp/gpref.asp