SR System Checkpoints

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
August 21, 2005 11:26:52 PM

For some reason, system restore has stopped creating system checkpoints. I
have manually created checkpoints but would like to solve this problem.

Is there a way to diagnose this problem?

KB

More about : system checkpoints

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 1:48:05 AM

I am glad you asked, KB.
Experiencing the same problem, I found that running 'Scanreg /Fix' would fix
it, at least temporarily, it seems.
I don't have any of the proggies Mike mentioned, except the Tea Timer.
If I should find anything else, you'll get to know.

Harry.

"KB" <KB@discussions.winme> wrote in message
> For some reason, system restore has stopped creating system checkpoints.
> have manually created checkpoints but would like to solve this problem.
>
> Is there a way to diagnose this problem?
>
> KB

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 5:39:41 AM

> Is there a way to diagnose this problem?

Only by painstakingly one by one checking each of the applications you
have running until you find the one that is preventing the creation of
automatic checkpoints.

There can be many reasons for lack of regular automatic system created
checkpoints including running programs such as seti@home, folding@home or
other similar programs, or because a background application is fooling Win
Me's state manager into thinking that the system is not idle although
this is not in fact the case. Examples of the latter utility include v4
of MotherBoardMonitor (but not v5), Cacheman, The Cleaner (TCActive and
TCMonitor) and Norton's System Doctor where users have reported use of the
Disk Health sensor has prevented the creation of automatic checkpoints.
NAV7 has also been reported as causing similar problems in certain
circumstances. Other users have reported similar behaviour due to their
always on cable or ADSL connection continually polling their HD and thus
giving the impression that the system is never idle.

A significant number of users report that 3.x versions of Zone Alarm also
prevent the creation of automatic checkpoints but this didn't seem to
affect all ZA users including myself for a long time but my Win Me system
stopped making automatic checkpoints some time ago however now that it has
ZA Pro 5.xxx this problem seems to have been resolved. Similar problems
have been experienced by BlackIce users and other software firewalls have
also been reported to cause some users similar problems.

One user has reported that B's CLIP UDF packet writing software
(http://www.bhacorp.com/products/clip/clip.html) prevented the creation of
automatic checkpoints and another that they had experienced the same
problem with Roxio's DirectCD. Another user has also reported that
CookieWall by AnalogX will prevent automatic checkpoints being made if its
"Scan for cookies every .... seconds" is set to a value less than 121
seconds (two minutes).

Other known applications that prevent the creation of automatic
checkpoints include Tea Time (part of SpyBot Search & Destroy), ccleaner
in clean at boot mode and client01.exe which is the process name of
DigiGuide (www.gipsymedia.com) a UK TV listings app.
--
Mike Maltby mike.maltby@gmail.com

KB <KB@discussions.winme> wrote:

> For some reason, system restore has stopped creating system
> checkpoints. I have manually created checkpoints but would like to
> solve this problem.
>
> Is there a way to diagnose this problem?
>
> KB
August 23, 2005 4:02:54 PM

"webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message...

> ...I don't have any of the proggies Mike mentioned, except the Tea Timer.
> If I should find anything else, you'll get to know.
>
> Harry.

G'day Harry... PMFJI (pardon me for jumping in) ..but you mentioned
TeaTimer... I am wondering... I had to disable TeaTimer because the
prompt-screen (when it detects a change and needs user input to continue)
doesn't render properly on my WinME, 1024x768 (16bit) display setting. When
TeaTimer prompt pops up (usually most often when RealPlayer wants to enable
"TkBellexe" in the registry) the part where I woul need to either ALLOW or
DENY can't be seen! Do you have the same problem? This problem only
started happening after about 3 or 4 updates ago.
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 5:54:37 PM

No Ogg, I don't have the same problem, but will have to disable it,
nonetheless.
I take it you seen Mike's post and my reply.
He will be able to help you, if needed, all for the asking.
Thanks.

Harry.

"Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote in message
> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message...
>
> > ...I don't have any of the proggies Mike mentioned, except the Tea
Timer.
> > If I should find anything else, you'll get to know.
> >
> > Harry.
>
> G'day Harry... PMFJI (pardon me for jumping in) ..but you mentioned
> TeaTimer... I am wondering... I had to disable TeaTimer because the
> prompt-screen (when it detects a change and needs user input to continue)
> doesn't render properly on my WinME, 1024x768 (16bit) display setting.
When
> TeaTimer prompt pops up (usually most often when RealPlayer wants to
enable
> "TkBellexe" in the registry) the part where I woul need to either ALLOW or
> DENY can't be seen! Do you have the same problem? This problem only
> started happening after about 3 or 4 updates ago.

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 9:27:25 PM

> I don't have any of the proggies Mike mentioned, except the Tea Timer.

You either don't have any of the problem programs or you do. "except
TeaTimer" suggests that you do in which case what is the effect of
disabling TeaTimer since this app is a known cause for lack of automatic
system restore checkpoints.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:

> I am glad you asked, KB.
> Experiencing the same problem, I found that running 'Scanreg /Fix'
> would fix it, at least temporarily, it seems.
> I don't have any of the proggies Mike mentioned, except the Tea Timer.
> If I should find anything else, you'll get to know.
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 9:27:26 PM

Thanks for the clarification, Mike.
I was under the impression that tea timer is essential.
Will proceed accordingly.

Harry.

> > I don't have any of the proggies Mike mentioned, except the Tea Timer.
>
> You either don't have any of the problem programs or you do. "except
> TeaTimer" suggests that you do in which case what is the effect of
> disabling TeaTimer since this app is a known cause for lack of automatic
> system restore checkpoints.
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:
>
> > I am glad you asked, KB.
> > Experiencing the same problem, I found that running 'Scanreg /Fix'
> > would fix it, at least temporarily, it seems.
> > I don't have any of the proggies Mike mentioned, except the Tea Timer.
> > If I should find anything else, you'll get to know.

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 9:27:27 PM

Now what, Mike?
Spybot wouldn't allow disabling tea timer in msconfig.
It puts it right back.
Come to think of it, I must have tried that some time ago,
but don't remember the remedy.
Can you help?

Harry.

> Thanks for the clarification, Mike.
> I was under the impression that tea timer is essential.
> Will proceed accordingly.
>
> Harry.
>

> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
> > > I don't have any of the proggies Mike mentioned, except the Tea Timer.
> >
> > You either don't have any of the problem programs or you do. "except
> > TeaTimer" suggests that you do in which case what is the effect of
> > disabling TeaTimer since this app is a known cause for lack of automatic
> > system restore checkpoints.
> > --
> > Mike Maltby
> > mike.maltby@gmail.com
> >

> > webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I am glad you asked, KB.
> > > Experiencing the same problem, I found that running 'Scanreg /Fix'
> > > would fix it, at least temporarily, it seems.
> > > I don't have any of the proggies Mike mentioned, except the Tea Timer.
> > > If I should find anything else, you'll get to know.

August 23, 2005 9:27:28 PM

Turn off Teatimer from within the Spybot application not from the System
Configuration Utility.

webster72n wrote:
> Now what, Mike?
> Spybot wouldn't allow disabling tea timer in msconfig.
> It puts it right back.
> Come to think of it, I must have tried that some time ago,
> but don't remember the remedy.
> Can you help?
>
> Harry.
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 11:07:31 PM

What exactly do you mean by "essential"? Personally I've never felt the
need to run tea timer but if you wish to do so then I for one wouldn't
want to stop you

The reason for my second post was to ensure that you were fully aware that
you were running an application that is know to interfere with the
creation of system restore checkpoints. Your post gave me the impression
that you preferred to ignore this and look for another reason rather than
act on the information you already had. I'm not saying that you must
ditch teatimer if you find it useful but rather that if you also want
system restore checkpoints you will have to make these manually at times
convenient to yourself.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:

> Thanks for the clarification, Mike.
> I was under the impression that tea timer is essential.
> Will proceed accordingly.
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 12:23:03 AM

Why didn't I remember that, Tom?
Thanks a million.

Harry.

"TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
news:o GPXLJBqFHA.712@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Turn off Teatimer from within the Spybot application not from the System
> Configuration Utility.
>
> webster72n wrote:
> > Now what, Mike?
> > Spybot wouldn't allow disabling tea timer in msconfig.
> > It puts it right back.
> > Come to think of it, I must have tried that some time ago,
> > but don't remember the remedy.
> > Can you help?
> >
> > Harry.
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 1:22:34 AM

The problem is, Tom, the same thing happens here: Spybot denies the change.
What else can I do?
Don't want to be without the 'Bot.

Harry.

"TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
news:o GPXLJBqFHA.712@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Turn off Teatimer from within the Spybot application not from the System
> Configuration Utility.
>
> webster72n wrote:
> > Now what, Mike?
> > Spybot wouldn't allow disabling tea timer in msconfig.
> > It puts it right back.
> > Come to think of it, I must have tried that some time ago,
> > but don't remember the remedy.
> > Can you help?
> >
> > Harry.
August 24, 2005 1:22:35 AM

Harry,

AFAIK, the following steps allow you to disable Teatimer:

* Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
* Clear the following:
Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

If you continue to have problems, help is available at the Spybot forum.

http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showforum=2...

Tom

webster72n wrote:
> The problem is, Tom, the same thing happens here: Spybot denies the change.
> What else can I do?
> Don't want to be without the 'Bot.
>
> Harry.

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 1:21:33 PM

Those are the the steps I took, Tom.
Will have to go to the forum as a last resort.

news:o LSzFWFqFHA.208@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Harry,
>
> AFAIK, the following steps allow you to disable Teatimer:
>
> * Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
> * Clear the following:
> Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.
>
> If you continue to have problems, help is available at the Spybot forum.
>
> http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showforum=2...
>
> Tom
>
> webster72n wrote:
> > The problem is, Tom, the same thing happens here: Spybot denies the
change.
> > What else can I do?
> > Don't want to be without the 'Bot.
> >
> > Harry.

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 7:11:07 PM

This is somewhat embarassing, Tom, but will have to be mentioned here:
I tried to delete it under Tools/System Startup and not under
Tools/Resident, as was suggested in the forum.
Unchecking the Tea Timer there, automatically removes the Spybot icon in the
system tray.

Harry.

news:o 9vlM5KqFHA.2772@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> Those are the the steps I took, Tom.
> Will have to go to the forum as a last resort.
> Thanks.
>
> Harry.
>

> "TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
> news:o LSzFWFqFHA.208@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > Harry,
> >
> > AFAIK, the following steps allow you to disable Teatimer:
> >
> > * Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
> > * Clear the following:
> > Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings)
Active.

> > If you continue to have problems, help is available at the Spybot forum.
> >
> > http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showforum=2...
> >
> > Tom
> >
> > webster72n wrote:
> > > The problem is, Tom, the same thing happens here: Spybot denies the
> change.
> > > What else can I do?
> > > Don't want to be without the 'Bot.
> > >
> > > Harry.

August 24, 2005 7:11:08 PM

Harry,

Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

Tom

webster72n wrote:
> This is somewhat embarassing, Tom, but will have to be mentioned here:
> I tried to delete it under Tools/System Startup and not under
> Tools/Resident, as was suggested in the forum.
> Unchecking the Tea Timer there, automatically removes the Spybot icon in the
> system tray.
> Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
>
> Harry.
>

> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> news:o 9vlM5KqFHA.2772@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>
>>Those are the the steps I took, Tom.
>>Will have to go to the forum as a last resort.
>>Thanks.
>>
>> Harry.
>>

>>"TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>news:o LSzFWFqFHA.208@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>
>>>Harry,
>>>
>>>AFAIK, the following steps allow you to disable Teatimer:
>>>
>>> * Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
>>> * Clear the following:
>>> Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings)
>
> Active.
>
>>>If you continue to have problems, help is available at the Spybot forum.
>>>
>>>http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showforum=2...
>>>
>>>Tom

>>change.

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 7:50:38 PM

<snipped>

.... TeaTimer since this app is a known cause for lack of automatic
> system restore checkpoints.
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>
> <sniped>

Mike, how does one discover those programs that cause System Restore to stop
taking restore points? I installed avast! anti-virus about two weeks ago
and I haven't seen an automatic update since. Looks awfully suspicious but
I don't know.

Ken Bland
August 24, 2005 7:50:39 PM

I've used avast in the past, and unfortunately, it did interfere with
automatic restore points being set. It's been a while since I've had it
installed, and I don't recall what specifically was interfering with SR.
Try disabling the real time protection to check if an automatic SR
point is set after a period of inactivity.

It may help to also check if you are able to set a manual restore point.
If not, it's most likely indicative of other issues with SR.

Justin Thyme wrote:

> Mike, how does one discover those programs that cause System Restore to stop
> taking restore points? I installed avast! anti-virus about two weeks ago
> and I haven't seen an automatic update since. Looks awfully suspicious but
> I don't know.
>
> Ken Bland

August 25, 2005 12:07:38 AM

Thanks, Tom.

I don't have tea timer or the other known SR disabling problem programs
installed. I can create manual checkpoints. I disabled SR and re-enabled
it and a system checkpoint was created.
I'll play it out and see how things unfold.

Do you have an AV that you prefer to run on WinME?

KB
> I've used avast in the past, and unfortunately, it did interfere with
> automatic restore points being set. It's been a while since I've had it
> installed, and I don't recall what specifically was interfering with SR.
> Try disabling the real time protection to check if an automatic SR
> point is set after a period of inactivity.
>
> It may help to also check if you are able to set a manual restore point.
> If not, it's most likely indicative of other issues with SR.
>
> Justin Thyme wrote:
>

> > Mike, how does one discover those programs that cause System Restore to
stop
> > taking restore points? I installed avast! anti-virus about two weeks
ago
> > and I haven't seen an automatic update since. Looks awfully suspicious
but
> > I don't know.
> >
> > Ken Bland

August 25, 2005 12:23:45 AM

KB,

I've been running EZAV on WinMe. You can get a 12 month free
subscription from CA.

http://store.ca.com/dr/v2/ec_main.entry25?page=PYPCtria...

As Mike mentioned, I do recall also that there was a problem with ZA and
SR as well. I don't recall which version(s) of ZA though. I've been
using ZA Pro 5.1.039 with no problems. Since the problem surfaced after
installing avast, I'd look there initially.

Tom

KB wrote:
> Thanks, Tom.
>
> I don't have tea timer or the other known SR disabling problem programs
> installed. I can create manual checkpoints. I disabled SR and re-enabled
> it and a system checkpoint was created.
> I'll play it out and see how things unfold.
>
> Do you have an AV that you prefer to run on WinME?
>
> KB
> "TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
>
>>I've used avast in the past, and unfortunately, it did interfere with
>>automatic restore points being set. It's been a while since I've had it
>>installed, and I don't recall what specifically was interfering with SR.
>> Try disabling the real time protection to check if an automatic SR
>>point is set after a period of inactivity.
>>
>>It may help to also check if you are able to set a manual restore point.
>> If not, it's most likely indicative of other issues with SR.
>>
>>Justin Thyme wrote:
>>

>>>Mike, how does one discover those programs that cause System Restore to
>
> stop
>
>>>taking restore points? I installed avast! anti-virus about two weeks
>
> ago
>
>>>and I haven't seen an automatic update since. Looks awfully suspicious
>
> but
>
>>>I don't know.
>>>
>>>Ken Bland

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 3:50:12 AM

Justin Thyme <krblmb@brainspring.com> wrote:

> Mike, how does one discover those programs that cause System Restore
> to stop taking restore points? I installed avast! anti-virus about
> two weeks ago and I haven't seen an automatic update since. Looks
> awfully suspicious but I don't know.

Trial and experimentation. Install, if automatic checkpoints cease to be
created then the application is potentially problematic. Uninstall, if
automatic updates return then the application is an inhibitor.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Ken,

So what applications have you installed that you have running at all times
in the background whenever your system is up? Have you made any attempt
yet to discover which of these might be the cause of your problems?
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

KB <KB@discussions.winme> wrote:

> Thanks, Tom.
>
> I don't have tea timer or the other known SR disabling problem
> programs installed. I can create manual checkpoints. I disabled SR
> and re-enabled it and a system checkpoint was created.
> I'll play it out and see how things unfold.
>
> Do you have an AV that you prefer to run on WinME?
August 25, 2005 6:07:24 AM

The only applications running are ZoneAlarm and Avast.

When I ctl-alt-del, all that shows is Explorer, Systray, ZA and Avast.

That's it, nothing else. I've looked at process explorer which shows no
hidden processes.

KB
> Ken,
>
> So what applications have you installed that you have running at all times
> in the background whenever your system is up? Have you made any attempt
> yet to discover which of these might be the cause of your problems?
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> KB <KB@discussions.winme> wrote:
>
> > Thanks, Tom.
> >
> > I don't have tea timer or the other known SR disabling problem
> > programs installed. I can create manual checkpoints. I disabled SR
> > and re-enabled it and a system checkpoint was created.
> > I'll play it out and see how things unfold.
> >
> > Do you have an AV that you prefer to run on WinME?

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 6:39:43 AM

KB <KB@discussions.winme> wrote:

> The only applications running are ZoneAlarm and Avast.
>
> When I ctl-alt-del, all that shows is Explorer, Systray, ZA and
> Avast.
>
> That's it, nothing else. I've looked at process explorer which shows
> no hidden processes.

In which case look no further. You have Zone Alarm which is a known cause
for lack of automatic checkpoints.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

I'll try clean installing ZA to see if it helps.

The ZA version I use didn't create this problem in the past, but did
conflict with AVG on a regular basis.

Thanks for the feedback, Mike.

Ken
> KB <KB@discussions.winme> wrote:
>
> > The only applications running are ZoneAlarm and Avast.
> >
> > When I ctl-alt-del, all that shows is Explorer, Systray, ZA and
> > Avast.
> >
> > That's it, nothing else. I've looked at process explorer which shows
> > no hidden processes.
>
> In which case look no further. You have Zone Alarm which is a known cause
> for lack of automatic checkpoints.
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 11:35:14 PM

Not quite, Tom.
Shutting down Tea Timer didn't change SR.
It might be Avast, which I will investigate.

> Harry,
>
> Glad to hear you got it sorted out.
>
> Tom
>
> webster72n wrote:
> > This is somewhat embarassing, Tom, but will have to be mentioned here:
> > I tried to delete it under Tools/System Startup and not under
> > Tools/Resident, as was suggested in the forum.
> > Unchecking the Tea Timer there, automatically removes the Spybot icon in
the
> > system tray.
> > Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> > news:o 9vlM5KqFHA.2772@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >
> >>Those are the the steps I took, Tom.
> >>Will have to go to the forum as a last resort.
> >>Thanks.
> >>
> >> Harry.
> >>

> >>"TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
> >>news:o LSzFWFqFHA.208@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> > Active.

> >>change.

Anonymous
August 29, 2005 2:56:37 PM

> Not quite, Tom.
> Shutting down Tea Timer didn't change SR.
> It might be Avast, which I will investigate.
>
> Harry.

Not trying to upstage you here, Harry, but I have an answer from avast! (I
inquired at support@avast.com) and here's the reply:
Hello,

Yes, avast! scans files that are accessed and because of this system
does not create System restore points automatically.

Create System restore points by hand (they are also created
before some installations etc.)

It appears, then, if one wants System Restore points taken, one must do it
manually-- provided, of course, that avast! is running.

Now I have to investigate if this is related to an accumulating of files in
the _RESTORE folder, which seem to be growing more than usual.

Ken Bland
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 11:41:38 PM

> Now I have to investigate if this is related to an accumulating of
> files in the _RESTORE folder, which seem to be growing more than
> usual.

Ken,

I would expect the two to be related as both the creation of automatic
system restore checkpoints and _RESTORE archive housekeeping are
undertaken by stmgr.exe when the system is otherwise idle. If Avast is
causing stmgr.exe to believe the system is not idle, and thus not create
automatic checkpoints, logic would tell us the same applies to the
housekeeping functions undertaken by stmgr.exe. What I suspect you might
see is a progressive build up of files in C:\_RESTORE\TEMP until the state
manager has no option but to start work regardless of other applications
that are running. In such cases I've seen stmgr.exe run at 95+% of
available cpu cycles for an hour or more before eventually bringing the
_RESTORE archive back under control.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Justin Thyme <krblmb@brainspring.com> wrote:

> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Not quite, Tom.
>> Shutting down Tea Timer didn't change SR.
>> It might be Avast, which I will investigate.
>>
>> Harry.
>>
> Not trying to upstage you here, Harry, but I have an answer from
> avast! (I inquired at support@avast.com) and here's the reply:
> Hello,
>
> Yes, avast! scans files that are accessed and because of this system
> does not create System restore points automatically.
>
> Create System restore points by hand (they are also created
> before some installations etc.)
>
> It appears, then, if one wants System Restore points taken, one must
> do it manually-- provided, of course, that avast! is running.
>
> Now I have to investigate if this is related to an accumulating of
> files in the _RESTORE folder, which seem to be growing more than
> usual.
>
> Ken Bland
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 11:41:39 PM

news:o 6gGMlMrFHA.2604@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

> Ken,
>
> I would expect the two to be related as both the creation of automatic
> system restore checkpoints and _RESTORE archive housekeeping are
> undertaken by stmgr.exe when the system is otherwise idle. If Avast is
> causing stmgr.exe to believe the system is not idle, and thus not create
> automatic checkpoints, logic would tell us the same applies to the
> housekeeping functions undertaken by stmgr.exe. What I suspect you might
> see is a progressive build up of files in C:\_RESTORE\TEMP until the state
> manager has no option but to start work regardless of other applications
> that are running. In such cases I've seen stmgr.exe run at 95+% of
> available cpu cycles for an hour or more before eventually bringing the
> _RESTORE archive back under control.
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com

Thank you, Mike, I understand. I am sure you must be correct. I have
recorded the size and number of files on C:\_RESTORE\TEMP,
C:\_RESTORE\ARCHIVE, and C:\_RESTORE\LOGS and will check them over the next
couple of days.

Ken Bland
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 2:22:57 AM

Ken,

I'll be interested in reading your on going observations. Best of luck.
I can't help but wonder why Avast have taken this approach as it doesn't
really make their AV application any "better" than the opposition - it's
pretty good already without causing this problem.

Regards,
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Justin Thyme <krblmb@brainspring.com> wrote:

> Thank you, Mike, I understand. I am sure you must be correct. I have
> recorded the size and number of files on C:\_RESTORE\TEMP,
> C:\_RESTORE\ARCHIVE, and C:\_RESTORE\LOGS and will check them over
> the next couple of days.
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 7:53:23 PM

As it turns out, Tea Timer is not the problem, it is Avast and they are
telling me that there is currently no remedy available, which means to
either put up with it, or try another AV.
EZtrust is not a bad choice, I gather.

Harry.

> > I don't have any of the proggies Mike mentioned, except the Tea Timer.
>
> You either don't have any of the problem programs or you do. "except
> TeaTimer" suggests that you do in which case what is the effect of
> disabling TeaTimer since this app is a known cause for lack of automatic
> system restore checkpoints.
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:
>
> > I am glad you asked, KB.
> > Experiencing the same problem, I found that running 'Scanreg /Fix'
> > would fix it, at least temporarily, it seems.
> > I don't have any of the proggies Mike mentioned, except the Tea Timer.
> > If I should find anything else, you'll get to know.

Anonymous
September 2, 2005 7:53:24 PM

> As it turns out, Tea Timer is not the problem, it is Avast and they are...

Somewhere in this string of posts I mentioned that I got a response from
avast! (support@avast.com) which said that, yes, avast! prevents auto system
restore checkpoints. System Restore checkpoints can be taken manually,
however, and that method works successfully.

I think this problem is also related to a growing number of folders and
files in the _RESTORE folder and I have been keeping a daily log for about a
week now on their sizes. Even so, I don't know what to do with them when
they get too much.

Ken Bland
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 12:10:31 AM

Mike addressed that issue, I believe.
Mybe he can jump in here to help out.

Harry.

"Justin Thyme" <krblmb@brainspring.com> wrote in message

> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> >
> > As it turns out, Tea Timer is not the problem, it is Avast and they
are...

> Somewhere in this string of posts I mentioned that I got a response from
> avast! (support@avast.com) which said that, yes, avast! prevents auto
system
> restore checkpoints. System Restore checkpoints can be taken manually,
> however, and that method works successfully.
>
> I think this problem is also related to a growing number of folders and
> files in the _RESTORE folder and I have been keeping a daily log for about
> week now on their sizes. Even so, I don't know what to do with them when
> they get too much.
>
> Ken Bland

September 3, 2005 6:36:36 AM

> EZtrust is not a bad choice, I gather.

It's the AV portion of EZArmor (which you could have without the Zone Alarm
portion). Didn't you have that, Harry?

Shane
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 6:36:37 AM

Shane:

I had EZArmor, AV and Zone Alarm, but not as of late.
My current protection is Sygate and Avast.
I have EZAV downloaded and plan to replace Avast with it.
Also I might replace Sygate with last WinME supporting version of Kerio.
Do you think that is a good idea?

Harry.

"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > EZtrust is not a bad choice, I gather.
>
> It's the AV portion of EZArmor (which you could have without the Zone
Alarm
> portion). Didn't you have that, Harry?
>
> Shane

September 3, 2005 8:11:39 AM

Despite my eyes closing here, Harry (04:06), I'll just say this. I think
with ME - due to the winmgmt issue - Kerio 2.1.5 is the last version to go
with. Otherwise, ZoneAlarm seems the least trouble (based on the last
version I tested - 6 series).

Shane

webster72n wrote:
> Shane:
>
> I had EZArmor, AV and Zone Alarm, but not as of late.
> My current protection is Sygate and Avast.
> I have EZAV downloaded and plan to replace Avast with it.
> Also I might replace Sygate with last WinME supporting version of
> Kerio. Do you think that is a good idea?
>
> Harry.
>

> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> EZtrust is not a bad choice, I gather.
>>
>> It's the AV portion of EZArmor (which you could have without the
>> Zone Alarm portion). Didn't you have that, Harry?
>>
>> Shane
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 1:45:38 PM

Thanks Shane and rest well.

> Despite my eyes closing here, Harry (04:06), I'll just say this. I think
> with ME - due to the winmgmt issue - Kerio 2.1.5 is the last version to go
> with. Otherwise, ZoneAlarm seems the least trouble (based on the last
> version I tested - 6 series).
>
> Shane
>

> webster72n wrote:
> > Shane:
> >
> > I had EZArmor, AV and Zone Alarm, but not as of late.
> > My current protection is Sygate and Avast.
> > I have EZAV downloaded and plan to replace Avast with it.
> > Also I might replace Sygate with last WinME supporting version of
> > Kerio. Do you think that is a good idea?
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> It's the AV portion of EZArmor (which you could have without the
> >> Zone Alarm portion). Didn't you have that, Harry?
> >>
> >> Shane

Anonymous
September 3, 2005 2:08:20 PM

Simply forcing a manual SR point should clear the number of points - just
expect it to take a while if there are a lot of files to handle

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"Justin Thyme" <krblmb@brainspring.com> wrote in message

> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
>>
>> As it turns out, Tea Timer is not the problem, it is Avast and they
>> are...
>
> Somewhere in this string of posts I mentioned that I got a response from
> avast! (support@avast.com) which said that, yes, avast! prevents auto
> system
> restore checkpoints. System Restore checkpoints can be taken manually,
> however, and that method works successfully.
>
> I think this problem is also related to a growing number of folders and
> files in the _RESTORE folder and I have been keeping a daily log for about
> week now on their sizes. Even so, I don't know what to do with them when
> they get too much.
>
> Ken Bland

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 7:48:32 PM

Have you considered AVG? I'm thinking of replacing Avast with one of those
two but haven't decided which one is the better choice.
MLD
news:o p%23LOLDsFHA.528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Shane:
>
> I had EZArmor, AV and Zone Alarm, but not as of late.
> My current protection is Sygate and Avast.
> I have EZAV downloaded and plan to replace Avast with it.
> Also I might replace Sygate with last WinME supporting version of Kerio.
> Do you think that is a good idea?
>
> Harry.
>

> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > > EZtrust is not a bad choice, I gather.
> >
> > It's the AV portion of EZArmor (which you could have without the Zone
> Alarm
> > portion). Didn't you have that, Harry?
> >
> > Shane

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 7:48:33 PM

MLD:

Some time ago I used AVG and encountered serious problems within the program
on my machine.
Don't remember the details, but shy away from it, since I had tried it twice
with the same dreadful results.
Your machine might not react the same way and maybe you would want to give
it a go.
The choice is your's.

Harry.

"MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote in message news:kNZSe.1779$8i7.168@trndny07...
> Have you considered AVG? I'm thinking of replacing Avast with one of those
> two but haven't decided which one is the better choice.
> MLD
> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> news:o p%23LOLDsFHA.528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > Shane:
> >
> > I had EZArmor, AV and Zone Alarm, but not as of late.
> > My current protection is Sygate and Avast.
> > I have EZAV downloaded and plan to replace Avast with it.
> > Also I might replace Sygate with last WinME supporting version of Kerio.
> > Do you think that is a good idea?
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > It's the AV portion of EZArmor (which you could have without the Zone
> > Alarm
> > > portion). Didn't you have that, Harry?
> > >
> > > Shane

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 11:39:52 PM

Harry
You seem to have had serious problems with every program you've ever
installed - maybe your PC is trying to tell you something?

--

> MLD:
>
> Some time ago I used AVG and encountered serious problems within the
> program
> on my machine.
> Don't remember the details, but shy away from it, since I had tried it
> twice
> with the same dreadful results.
> Your machine might not react the same way and maybe you would want to give
> it a go.
> The choice is your's.
>
> Harry.
>

> "MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Have you considered AVG? I'm thinking of replacing Avast with one of
>> those
>> two but haven't decided which one is the better choice.
>> MLD
>> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
>> news:o p%23LOLDsFHA.528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> > Shane:
>> >
>> > I had EZArmor, AV and Zone Alarm, but not as of late.
>> > My current protection is Sygate and Avast.
>> > I have EZAV downloaded and plan to replace Avast with it.
>> > Also I might replace Sygate with last WinME supporting version of
>> > Kerio.
>> > Do you think that is a good idea?
>> >
>> > Harry.
>> >

>> > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > Alarm

September 5, 2005 11:39:53 PM

Like "stop messing with stuff you know nothing about"??? Or words to that
effect......lol.

Or perhaps....."stop downloading oddball programs until you check here
first"??

That's 2 for starters.

XX Figgs

news:o 6xD1kksFHA.760@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Harry
> You seem to have had serious problems with every program you've ever
> installed - maybe your PC is trying to tell you something?
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> >
> > MLD:
> >
> > Some time ago I used AVG and encountered serious problems within the
> > program
> > on my machine.
> > Don't remember the details, but shy away from it, since I had tried it
> > twice
> > with the same dreadful results.
> > Your machine might not react the same way and maybe you would want to
give
> > it a go.
> > The choice is your's.
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote in message
> >> Have you considered AVG? I'm thinking of replacing Avast with one of
> >> those
> >> two but haven't decided which one is the better choice.
> >> MLD
> >> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> >> news:o p%23LOLDsFHA.528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

Zone

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 11:39:53 PM

Noel:
My PC is working fine, thank you.
If I should need help, I know where and how to find it - w/o
smart remarks.

Harry.

news:o 6xD1kksFHA.760@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Harry
> You seem to have had serious problems with every program you've ever
> installed - maybe your PC is trying to tell you something?
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> >
> > MLD:
> >
> > Some time ago I used AVG and encountered serious problems within the
> > program
> > on my machine.
> > Don't remember the details, but shy away from it, since I had tried it
> > twice
> > with the same dreadful results.
> > Your machine might not react the same way and maybe you would want to
give
> > it a go.
> > The choice is your's.
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote in message
> >> Have you considered AVG? I'm thinking of replacing Avast with one of
> >> those
> >> two but haven't decided which one is the better choice.
> >> MLD
> >> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> >> news:o p%23LOLDsFHA.528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

Zone

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 11:39:54 PM

Couldn't help adding your nickel's worth, Heather?
Hope you had fun doing it.

Harry.

"Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Like "stop messing with stuff you know nothing about"??? Or words to that
> effect......lol.
>
> Or perhaps....."stop downloading oddball programs until you check here
> first"??
>
> That's 2 for starters.
>
> XX Figgs
>
> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> news:o 6xD1kksFHA.760@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > Harry
> > You seem to have had serious problems with every program you've ever
> > installed - maybe your PC is trying to tell you something?
> >

> > --
> > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> >
> > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
> >
> > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
NG's

> > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > MLD:
> > >
> > > Some time ago I used AVG and encountered serious problems within the
> > > program
> > > on my machine.
> > > Don't remember the details, but shy away from it, since I had tried it
> > > twice
> > > with the same dreadful results.
> > > Your machine might not react the same way and maybe you would want to
> give
> > > it a go.
> > > The choice is your's.
> > >
> > > Harry.
> > >

> > > "MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote in message

> Zone

September 5, 2005 11:39:55 PM

I certainly did.....lol.

HF

news:o pKgV2lsFHA.760@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

> Couldn't help adding your nickel's worth, Heather?
> Hope you had fun doing it.
>
> Harry.
>

> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > Like "stop messing with stuff you know nothing about"??? Or words to
that
> > effect......lol.
> >
> > Or perhaps....."stop downloading oddball programs until you check here
> > first"??
> >
> > That's 2 for starters.
> >
> > XX Figgs
> >
> > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> > news:o 6xD1kksFHA.760@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > > Harry
> > > You seem to have had serious problems with every program you've ever
> > > installed - maybe your PC is trying to tell you something?
> > >

> > > --
> > > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> > >
> > > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> > > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> > >
> > > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
> > >
> > > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
> NG's
> > >
> > > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message

> > give

> > Zone

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 11:39:56 PM

Which clearly shows where you are coming from> stop.

H.

> I certainly did.....lol.
>
> HF
>
> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> news:o pKgV2lsFHA.760@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> >
> > Couldn't help adding your nickel's worth, Heather?
> > Hope you had fun doing it.
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > > Like "stop messing with stuff you know nothing about"??? Or words to
> that
> > > effect......lol.
> > >
> > > Or perhaps....."stop downloading oddball programs until you check here
> > > first"??
> > >
> > > That's 2 for starters.
> > >
> > > XX Figgs
> > >
> > > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> > > news:o 6xD1kksFHA.760@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

> > NG's

> it
> > > give

> of

> the
> > > Zone

Anonymous
September 6, 2005 1:26:28 AM

<lol> Hi Heather have you been in touch with Willy, is that machine on its
way yet <g>
Joan

Heather wrote:
> Like "stop messing with stuff you know nothing about"??? Or words to
> that effect......lol.
>
> Or perhaps....."stop downloading oddball programs until you check here
> first"??
>
> That's 2 for starters.
>
> XX Figgs
September 6, 2005 1:26:29 AM

I am going to have to get him off his derriere!! He has been awfully busy
with repairing computers for the kids going back to school. And trying to
get organized to fly to Paris for a week to see his mother. 5 of his
brothers are joining him there. He is rather excited about that!!

I do know what colour the box will be, grin. He is even planning that out.
(G)

It will come when the time is right......I just have to make sure I list all
of the software I want on it. Funny how your mind goes blank. But
WordPerfect is #1 on the list (Mike and I prefer it)......Nero, Roxio 7, MS
Word (yuck) and so on.

Cheers from a sunny suppertime in Brampton.

Heather

"Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> <lol> Hi Heather have you been in touch with Willy, is that machine on its
> way yet <g>
> Joan
>

> Heather wrote:
> > Like "stop messing with stuff you know nothing about"??? Or words to
> > that effect......lol.
> >
> > Or perhaps....."stop downloading oddball programs until you check here
> > first"??
> >
> > That's 2 for starters.
> >
> > XX Figgs

September 6, 2005 2:15:29 AM

Excuse me.......but are you attempting to give me orders?? ROFL!!

Give your head a shake!!

H.

!