SR System Checkpoints

KB

For some reason, system restore has stopped creating system checkpoints. I
have manually created checkpoints but would like to solve this problem.

Is there a way to diagnose this problem?

KB

I am glad you asked, KB.
Experiencing the same problem, I found that running 'Scanreg /Fix' would fix
it, at least temporarily, it seems.
I don't have any of the proggies Mike mentioned, except the Tea Timer.
If I should find anything else, you'll get to know.

Harry.

"KB" <KB@discussions.winme> wrote in message
> For some reason, system restore has stopped creating system checkpoints.
> have manually created checkpoints but would like to solve this problem.
>
> Is there a way to diagnose this problem?
>
> KB

> Is there a way to diagnose this problem?

Only by painstakingly one by one checking each of the applications you
have running until you find the one that is preventing the creation of
automatic checkpoints.

There can be many reasons for lack of regular automatic system created
checkpoints including running programs such as seti@home, folding@home or
other similar programs, or because a background application is fooling Win
Me's state manager into thinking that the system is not idle although
this is not in fact the case. Examples of the latter utility include v4
of MotherBoardMonitor (but not v5), Cacheman, The Cleaner (TCActive and
TCMonitor) and Norton's System Doctor where users have reported use of the
Disk Health sensor has prevented the creation of automatic checkpoints.
NAV7 has also been reported as causing similar problems in certain
circumstances. Other users have reported similar behaviour due to their
always on cable or ADSL connection continually polling their HD and thus
giving the impression that the system is never idle.

A significant number of users report that 3.x versions of Zone Alarm also
prevent the creation of automatic checkpoints but this didn't seem to
affect all ZA users including myself for a long time but my Win Me system
stopped making automatic checkpoints some time ago however now that it has
ZA Pro 5.xxx this problem seems to have been resolved. Similar problems
have been experienced by BlackIce users and other software firewalls have
also been reported to cause some users similar problems.

One user has reported that B's CLIP UDF packet writing software
(http://www.bhacorp.com/products/clip/clip.html) prevented the creation of
automatic checkpoints and another that they had experienced the same
problem with Roxio's DirectCD. Another user has also reported that
CookieWall by AnalogX will prevent automatic checkpoints being made if its
"Scan for cookies every .... seconds" is set to a value less than 121
seconds (two minutes).

Other known applications that prevent the creation of automatic
checkpoints include Tea Time (part of SpyBot Search & Destroy), ccleaner
in clean at boot mode and client01.exe which is the process name of
DigiGuide (www.gipsymedia.com) a UK TV listings app.
--
Mike Maltby mike.maltby@gmail.com

"webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message...

> ...I don't have any of the proggies Mike mentioned, except the Tea Timer.
> If I should find anything else, you'll get to know.
>
> Harry.

G'day Harry... PMFJI (pardon me for jumping in) ..but you mentioned
TeaTimer... I am wondering... I had to disable TeaTimer because the
prompt-screen (when it detects a change and needs user input to continue)
doesn't render properly on my WinME, 1024x768 (16bit) display setting. When
TeaTimer prompt pops up (usually most often when RealPlayer wants to enable
"TkBellexe" in the registry) the part where I woul need to either ALLOW or
DENY can't be seen! Do you have the same problem? This problem only
started happening after about 3 or 4 updates ago.

No Ogg, I don't have the same problem, but will have to disable it,
nonetheless.
I take it you seen Mike's post and my reply.
He will be able to help you, if needed, all for the asking.
Thanks.

Harry.

"Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote in message
> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message...
>
> > ...I don't have any of the proggies Mike mentioned, except the Tea
Timer.
> > If I should find anything else, you'll get to know.
> >
> > Harry.
>
> G'day Harry... PMFJI (pardon me for jumping in) ..but you mentioned
> TeaTimer... I am wondering... I had to disable TeaTimer because the
> prompt-screen (when it detects a change and needs user input to continue)
> doesn't render properly on my WinME, 1024x768 (16bit) display setting.
When
> TeaTimer prompt pops up (usually most often when RealPlayer wants to
enable
> "TkBellexe" in the registry) the part where I woul need to either ALLOW or
> DENY can't be seen! Do you have the same problem? This problem only
> started happening after about 3 or 4 updates ago.

> I don't have any of the proggies Mike mentioned, except the Tea Timer.

You either don't have any of the problem programs or you do. "except
TeaTimer" suggests that you do in which case what is the effect of
disabling TeaTimer since this app is a known cause for lack of automatic
system restore checkpoints.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:

> I am glad you asked, KB.
> Experiencing the same problem, I found that running 'Scanreg /Fix'
> would fix it, at least temporarily, it seems.
> I don't have any of the proggies Mike mentioned, except the Tea Timer.
> If I should find anything else, you'll get to know.

Thanks for the clarification, Mike.
I was under the impression that tea timer is essential.
Will proceed accordingly.

Harry.

> > I don't have any of the proggies Mike mentioned, except the Tea Timer.
>
> You either don't have any of the problem programs or you do. "except
> TeaTimer" suggests that you do in which case what is the effect of
> disabling TeaTimer since this app is a known cause for lack of automatic
> system restore checkpoints.
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:
>
> > I am glad you asked, KB.
> > Experiencing the same problem, I found that running 'Scanreg /Fix'
> > would fix it, at least temporarily, it seems.
> > I don't have any of the proggies Mike mentioned, except the Tea Timer.
> > If I should find anything else, you'll get to know.

Now what, Mike?
Spybot wouldn't allow disabling tea timer in msconfig.
It puts it right back.
Come to think of it, I must have tried that some time ago,
but don't remember the remedy.
Can you help?

Harry.

> Thanks for the clarification, Mike.
> I was under the impression that tea timer is essential.
> Will proceed accordingly.
>
> Harry.
>

> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
> > > I don't have any of the proggies Mike mentioned, except the Tea Timer.
> >
> > You either don't have any of the problem programs or you do. "except
> > TeaTimer" suggests that you do in which case what is the effect of
> > disabling TeaTimer since this app is a known cause for lack of automatic
> > system restore checkpoints.
> > --
> > Mike Maltby
> > mike.maltby@gmail.com
> >

> > webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I am glad you asked, KB.
> > > Experiencing the same problem, I found that running 'Scanreg /Fix'
> > > would fix it, at least temporarily, it seems.
> > > I don't have any of the proggies Mike mentioned, except the Tea Timer.
> > > If I should find anything else, you'll get to know.

TomV

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002

Turn off Teatimer from within the Spybot application not from the System
Configuration Utility.

webster72n wrote:
> Now what, Mike?
> Spybot wouldn't allow disabling tea timer in msconfig.
> It puts it right back.
> Come to think of it, I must have tried that some time ago,
> but don't remember the remedy.
> Can you help?
>
> Harry.

What exactly do you mean by "essential"? Personally I've never felt the
need to run tea timer but if you wish to do so then I for one wouldn't
want to stop you

The reason for my second post was to ensure that you were fully aware that
you were running an application that is know to interfere with the
creation of system restore checkpoints. Your post gave me the impression
that you preferred to ignore this and look for another reason rather than
act on the information you already had. I'm not saying that you must
ditch teatimer if you find it useful but rather that if you also want
system restore checkpoints you will have to make these manually at times
convenient to yourself.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:

> Thanks for the clarification, Mike.
> I was under the impression that tea timer is essential.
> Will proceed accordingly.

Why didn't I remember that, Tom?
Thanks a million.

Harry.

"TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Turn off Teatimer from within the Spybot application not from the System
> Configuration Utility.
>
> webster72n wrote:
> > Now what, Mike?
> > Spybot wouldn't allow disabling tea timer in msconfig.
> > It puts it right back.
> > Come to think of it, I must have tried that some time ago,
> > but don't remember the remedy.
> > Can you help?
> >
> > Harry.

The problem is, Tom, the same thing happens here: Spybot denies the change.
What else can I do?
Don't want to be without the 'Bot.

Harry.

"TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Turn off Teatimer from within the Spybot application not from the System
> Configuration Utility.
>
> webster72n wrote:
> > Now what, Mike?
> > Spybot wouldn't allow disabling tea timer in msconfig.
> > It puts it right back.
> > Come to think of it, I must have tried that some time ago,
> > but don't remember the remedy.
> > Can you help?
> >
> > Harry.

TomV

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002

Harry,

AFAIK, the following steps allow you to disable Teatimer:

* Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
* Clear the following:
Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

If you continue to have problems, help is available at the Spybot forum.

http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showforum=28

Tom

webster72n wrote:
> The problem is, Tom, the same thing happens here: Spybot denies the change.
> What else can I do?
> Don't want to be without the 'Bot.
>
> Harry.

Those are the the steps I took, Tom.
Will have to go to the forum as a last resort.

> Harry,
>
> AFAIK, the following steps allow you to disable Teatimer:
>
> * Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
> * Clear the following:
> Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.
>
> If you continue to have problems, help is available at the Spybot forum.
>
> http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showforum=28
>
> Tom
>
> webster72n wrote:
> > The problem is, Tom, the same thing happens here: Spybot denies the
change.
> > What else can I do?
> > Don't want to be without the 'Bot.
> >
> > Harry.

This is somewhat embarassing, Tom, but will have to be mentioned here:
I tried to delete it under Tools/System Startup and not under
Tools/Resident, as was suggested in the forum.
Unchecking the Tea Timer there, automatically removes the Spybot icon in the
system tray.

Harry.

> Those are the the steps I took, Tom.
> Will have to go to the forum as a last resort.
> Thanks.
>
> Harry.
>

> "TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
> > Harry,
> >
> > AFAIK, the following steps allow you to disable Teatimer:
> >
> > * Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
> > * Clear the following:
> > Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings)
Active.

> > If you continue to have problems, help is available at the Spybot forum.
> >
> > http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showforum=28
> >
> > Tom
> >
> > webster72n wrote:
> > > The problem is, Tom, the same thing happens here: Spybot denies the
> change.
> > > What else can I do?
> > > Don't want to be without the 'Bot.
> > >
> > > Harry.

TomV

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002

Harry,

Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

Tom

webster72n wrote:
> This is somewhat embarassing, Tom, but will have to be mentioned here:
> I tried to delete it under Tools/System Startup and not under
> Tools/Resident, as was suggested in the forum.
> Unchecking the Tea Timer there, automatically removes the Spybot icon in the
> system tray.
> Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
>
> Harry.
>

> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
>
>>Those are the the steps I took, Tom.
>>Will have to go to the forum as a last resort.
>>Thanks.
>>
>> Harry.
>>

>>"TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>Harry,
>>>
>>>AFAIK, the following steps allow you to disable Teatimer:
>>>
>>> * Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
>>> * Clear the following:
>>> Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings)
>
> Active.
>
>>>If you continue to have problems, help is available at the Spybot forum.
>>>
>>>http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showforum=28
>>>
>>>Tom

>>change.

<snipped>

.... TeaTimer since this app is a known cause for lack of automatic
> system restore checkpoints.
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>
> <sniped>

Mike, how does one discover those programs that cause System Restore to stop
taking restore points? I installed avast! anti-virus about two weeks ago
and I haven't seen an automatic update since. Looks awfully suspicious but
I don't know.

Ken Bland

TomV

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002

I've used avast in the past, and unfortunately, it did interfere with
automatic restore points being set. It's been a while since I've had it
installed, and I don't recall what specifically was interfering with SR.
Try disabling the real time protection to check if an automatic SR
point is set after a period of inactivity.

It may help to also check if you are able to set a manual restore point.
If not, it's most likely indicative of other issues with SR.

Justin Thyme wrote:

> Mike, how does one discover those programs that cause System Restore to stop
> taking restore points? I installed avast! anti-virus about two weeks ago
> and I haven't seen an automatic update since. Looks awfully suspicious but
> I don't know.
>
> Ken Bland

KB

Thanks, Tom.

I don't have tea timer or the other known SR disabling problem programs
installed. I can create manual checkpoints. I disabled SR and re-enabled
it and a system checkpoint was created.
I'll play it out and see how things unfold.

Do you have an AV that you prefer to run on WinME?

KB
> I've used avast in the past, and unfortunately, it did interfere with
> automatic restore points being set. It's been a while since I've had it
> installed, and I don't recall what specifically was interfering with SR.
> Try disabling the real time protection to check if an automatic SR
> point is set after a period of inactivity.
>
> It may help to also check if you are able to set a manual restore point.
> If not, it's most likely indicative of other issues with SR.
>
> Justin Thyme wrote:
>

> > Mike, how does one discover those programs that cause System Restore to
stop
> > taking restore points? I installed avast! anti-virus about two weeks
ago
> > and I haven't seen an automatic update since. Looks awfully suspicious
but
> > I don't know.
> >
> > Ken Bland

TomV

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002

KB,

I've been running EZAV on WinMe. You can get a 12 month free
subscription from CA.

http://store.ca.com/dr/v2/ec_main.entry25?page=PYPCtrialPage_MSsite&client=ComputerAssociates&sid=55939&CID=190471

As Mike mentioned, I do recall also that there was a problem with ZA and
SR as well. I don't recall which version(s) of ZA though. I've been
using ZA Pro 5.1.039 with no problems. Since the problem surfaced after
installing avast, I'd look there initially.

Tom

Justin Thyme <krblmb@brainspring.com> wrote:

> Mike, how does one discover those programs that cause System Restore
> to stop taking restore points? I installed avast! anti-virus about
> two weeks ago and I haven't seen an automatic update since. Looks
> awfully suspicious but I don't know.

Trial and experimentation. Install, if automatic checkpoints cease to be
created then the application is potentially problematic. Uninstall, if
automatic updates return then the application is an inhibitor.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Ken,

So what applications have you installed that you have running at all times
in the background whenever your system is up? Have you made any attempt
yet to discover which of these might be the cause of your problems?
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

KB <KB@discussions.winme> wrote:

> Thanks, Tom.
>
> I don't have tea timer or the other known SR disabling problem
> programs installed. I can create manual checkpoints. I disabled SR
> and re-enabled it and a system checkpoint was created.
> I'll play it out and see how things unfold.
>
> Do you have an AV that you prefer to run on WinME?

KB

The only applications running are ZoneAlarm and Avast.

When I ctl-alt-del, all that shows is Explorer, Systray, ZA and Avast.

That's it, nothing else. I've looked at process explorer which shows no
hidden processes.

KB
> Ken,
>
> So what applications have you installed that you have running at all times
> in the background whenever your system is up? Have you made any attempt
> yet to discover which of these might be the cause of your problems?
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> KB <KB@discussions.winme> wrote:
>
> > Thanks, Tom.
> >
> > I don't have tea timer or the other known SR disabling problem
> > programs installed. I can create manual checkpoints. I disabled SR
> > and re-enabled it and a system checkpoint was created.
> > I'll play it out and see how things unfold.
> >
> > Do you have an AV that you prefer to run on WinME?

KB <KB@discussions.winme> wrote:

> The only applications running are ZoneAlarm and Avast.
>
> When I ctl-alt-del, all that shows is Explorer, Systray, ZA and
> Avast.
>
> That's it, nothing else. I've looked at process explorer which shows
> no hidden processes.

In which case look no further. You have Zone Alarm which is a known cause
for lack of automatic checkpoints.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

KB

I'll try clean installing ZA to see if it helps.

The ZA version I use didn't create this problem in the past, but did
conflict with AVG on a regular basis.

Thanks for the feedback, Mike.

Ken