Microsoft Messenger - can I get rid of it?

As I don't use Microsoft messenger, I'd really like ot get rid of it
altogether, uninstalling it if possible.

It pops up all the time and even when I alt-cntrl-delete and 'End Task'
it still comes back.

Can I stop it loading and using up my precious RAM?

Can I go further and uninstall it?

John Atkinson <jha@bigfoot.com>
www.bigfoot.com/~jha

Shoot the Messenger from Steve Gibson's grc can turn it off.

BlackAdder can give you tons of information about turning off services.

Messenger can also be disabled with services.msc.

It is turned off (Shoot the Messenger) on my system.

--
Walterius

"JH Atkinson (Mr)" <jha@manx.net> wrote in message
> As I don't use Microsoft messenger, I'd really like ot get rid of it
> altogether, uninstalling it if possible.
>
> It pops up all the time and even when I alt-cntrl-delete and 'End Task'
> it still comes back.
>
> Can I stop it loading and using up my precious RAM?
>
> Can I go further and uninstall it?

> John Atkinson <jha@bigfoot.com>
> www.bigfoot.com/~jha

Wrong operating system. Black Adder and services.msc are only relevant to
NT based systems such as Win2K and XP.

Win Me does not include Messenger so the easiest way to disable Messenger
if not required is to uninstall it.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Walterius <nohow@noway.not> wrote:

> Shoot the Messenger from Steve Gibson's grc can turn it off.
>
> BlackAdder can give you tons of information about turning off
> services.
>
> Messenger can also be disabled with services.msc.
>
> It is turned off (Shoot the Messenger) on my system.

'Scuze me. (blush.)

--
Walterius

> Wrong operating system. Black Adder and services.msc are only relevant to
> NT based systems such as Win2K and XP.
>
> Win Me does not include Messenger so the easiest way to disable Messenger
> if not required is to uninstall it.
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Walterius <nohow@noway.not> wrote:
>
> > Shoot the Messenger from Steve Gibson's grc can turn it off.
> >
> > BlackAdder can give you tons of information about turning off
> > services.
> >
> > Messenger can also be disabled with services.msc.
> >
> > It is turned off (Shoot the Messenger) on my system.

There is no such application as 'Microsoft Messenger'!!

there are, however
1) Windows Messenger
2) MSN Messenger

two different applications with similar (but very different) purposes.

Both can be uninstalled from Add/Remove Programs in Win ME. - which is by
far the best way to deal with the 'problem' you state.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> There is no such application as 'Microsoft Messenger'!!
>
> there are, however
> 1) Windows Messenger
> 2) MSN Messenger
>
> two different applications with similar (but very different) purposes.
>
> Both can be uninstalled from Add/Remove Programs in Win ME. - which is by
> far the best way to deal with the 'problem' you state.

The program I wish to remove is MSN Messenger; but I have looked in
Add/Remove Programs and it is not listed.

Just now when I restarted my PC it was not present initially but appeared
when I loaded Outlook Express. Does this tell you anything?

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "JH Atkinson (Mr)" <jha@manx.net> wrote in message
> > As I don't use Microsoft messenger, I'd really like ot get rid of it
> > altogether, uninstalling it if possible.
> >
> > It pops up all the time and even when I alt-cntrl-delete and 'End Task'
> > it still comes back.
> >
> > Can I stop it loading and using up my precious RAM?
> >
> > Can I go further and uninstall it?
> >

> > --
> >

> > --
> > John Atkinson <jha@bigfoot.com>
> > www.bigfoot.com/~jha

In Outlook Express, Tools | Options | General and make sure that
"Automatically log on to Windows Messenger" is unchecked.

You should be able to uninstall MSN Messenger as follows. Add/Remove
Programs | Windows Setup | Communications. Click Details and uncheck "MSN
Messenger Service", then click OK and then Apply.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

JH Atkinson (Mr) <jha@manx.net> wrote:

> The program I wish to remove is MSN Messenger; but I have looked in
> Add/Remove Programs and it is not listed.
>
> Just now when I restarted my PC it was not present initially but
> appeared when I loaded Outlook Express. Does this tell you anything?

Mike:

The only thing showing on my screen under the General tab is:
"Automatically display folders with unread messages".
Would that be because I already disposed of "MSN Messenger"?
Just curious.

Harry.

Mike M wrote:
> In Outlook Express, Tools | Options | General and make sure that
> "Automatically log on to Windows Messenger" is unchecked.

What possible lamebrained excuse would M$ have for putting MSN in with OE ?

Rick

yeah now I remember why I use T-Bird.

> In Outlook Express, Tools | Options | General and make sure that
> "Automatically log on to Windows Messenger" is unchecked.
>
> You should be able to uninstall MSN Messenger as follows. Add/Remove
> Programs | Windows Setup | Communications. Click Details and uncheck "MSN
> Messenger Service", then click OK and then Apply.

Thank you, I've found it at last, I'm sure that will do the trick.

Got rid of a few other items as well ...

> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> JH Atkinson (Mr) <jha@manx.net> wrote:
>
> > The program I wish to remove is MSN Messenger; but I have looked in
> > Add/Remove Programs and it is not listed.
> >
> > Just now when I restarted my PC it was not present initially but
> > appeared when I loaded Outlook Express. Does this tell you anything?

Entry is still there even if unticked/unchecked.