Windows will not upgrade

Windows will not upgrade from 95 to ME because it says "Windows cannot be
installed on this computer because the processor is not at least 150MHz." I
know and toshiba have said that my laptop is 200MHz. Only today i have found
out that this is because the processor is trying to cool its self by going
down to 125MHz (see KB266219 on Microsoft Support Pages. Can anyone help!

Cowboy Bebop <Cowboy Bebop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Windows will not upgrade from 95 to ME because it says "Windows cannot be
>installed on this computer because the processor is not at least 150MHz." I
>know and toshiba have said that my laptop is 200MHz. Only today i have found
>out that this is because the processor is trying to cool its self by going
>down to 125MHz (see KB266219 on Microsoft Support Pages. Can anyone help!

Make sure the laptop is plugged in with the AC power adapter when you
try to do the install.

Most laptops drop the CPU into "low gear" when running on batteries so
as to prolong the battery life.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

From: "Cowboy Bebop" <Cowboy Bebop@discussions.microsoft.com>

| Windows will not upgrade from 95 to ME because it says "Windows cannot be
| installed on this computer because the processor is not at least 150MHz." I
| know and toshiba have said that my laptop is 200MHz. Only today i have found
| out that this is because the processor is trying to cool its self by going
| down to 125MHz (see KB266219 on Microsoft Support Pages. Can anyone help!

How muchg RAM is in the notebook ?

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Whilst this problem is easily overcome by the use of a specific setup
switch I would not recommend that you do so since 200MHz really is totally
inadequate for running Win Me. I would very strongly suggest that you
stick with either Win 98 or Win98SE. If however you insist on trying, and
I can assure you that you will probably regret it, the switch is /NM

To start the upgrade boot to DOS and with the Win Me CD in the CD drive
(let's assume it is D:) enter
D:\SETUP /NM
at the prompt.
--