no icons on desktop

I reported this same symptom a few weeks ago: at bootup, the pc would stall
and fail to populate the desktop with the necessary icons. Mouse is still
usable. <p>I applied the recommendations from here, and ms support site
(deleting the shelliconcache file, increasing the cache size via ther
Registry), but the problem is still re-occurring from time to time! A
ctr-alt-del to reveal the tasklist would only reveal my Lexpps process and
something called "cmdninst". I can't seem to find anything at ms site about
this latter file.

The only way I can recover into normal mode with all my icons in place is if
boot into SafeMode first, and then do a normal reboot. BTW, "shelliconcache"
is still nowhere to be found on my pc since I deleted it.

This "no icons" problem is quite intermittent. I can't pinpoint it to
anything that I might be doing in the course of my usage to cause this
problem from surfacing at next reboot.

Can anyone provide any further insight or suggestions to this problem?

ShellIconCache is a Hidden file that you normally won't see unless you
set the Folder to "display Hidden files". cmdinst is IIRC a program
loader; by itself it doesn't indicate anything except that there's a
driver that's stuck halfway through loading.

At a guess sounds like your printer (or USB driver) is doing nasty things.

You might want to check ControlPanel/System/DeviceManager for any
exclmaation or question marks.

Also, you should start booting with BootLogging on; selectable from ...

Start/Run/MSCONFIG/General(Tab)

check "generate bootlog"(or whatever the checkbox is); that will
indicate at what point the boot is hanging.

Rick

Ogg wrote:
> I reported this same symptom a few weeks ago: at bootup, the pc would stall
> and fail to populate the desktop with the necessary icons. Mouse is still
> usable. <p>I applied the recommendations from here, and ms support site
> (deleting the shelliconcache file, increasing the cache size via ther
> Registry), but the problem is still re-occurring from time to time! A
> ctr-alt-del to reveal the tasklist would only reveal my Lexpps process and
> something called "cmdninst". I can't seem to find anything at ms site about
> this latter file.
>
> The only way I can recover into normal mode with all my icons in place is if
> boot into SafeMode first, and then do a normal reboot. BTW, "shelliconcache"
> is still nowhere to be found on my pc since I deleted it.
>
> This "no icons" problem is quite intermittent. I can't pinpoint it to
> anything that I might be doing in the course of my usage to cause this
> problem from surfacing at next reboot.
>
> Can anyone provide any further insight or suggestions to this problem?

I assume that if you right-click on a blank area of the desktop, and choose
Properties, that "Show Desktop Icons" is indeed checked? When this situation
occurs, could something be un-checking it?

--
Walterius

> ShellIconCache is a Hidden file that you normally won't see unless you
> set the Folder to "display Hidden files". cmdinst is IIRC a program
> loader; by itself it doesn't indicate anything except that there's a
> driver that's stuck halfway through loading.
>
> At a guess sounds like your printer (or USB driver) is doing nasty things.
>
> You might want to check ControlPanel/System/DeviceManager for any
> exclmaation or question marks.
>

> Also, you should start booting with BootLogging on; selectable from ...
>
> Start/Run/MSCONFIG/General(Tab)
>
> check "generate bootlog"(or whatever the checkbox is); that will
> indicate at what point the boot is hanging.
>

> Rick
>

> Ogg wrote:
> > I reported this same symptom a few weeks ago: at bootup, the pc would
stall
> > and fail to populate the desktop with the necessary icons. Mouse is
still
> > usable. <p>I applied the recommendations from here, and ms support site
> > (deleting the shelliconcache file, increasing the cache size via ther
> > Registry), but the problem is still re-occurring from time to time! A
> > ctr-alt-del to reveal the tasklist would only reveal my Lexpps process
and
> > something called "cmdninst". I can't seem to find anything at ms site
about
> > this latter file.
> >
> > The only way I can recover into normal mode with all my icons in place
is if
> > boot into SafeMode first, and then do a normal reboot. BTW,
"shelliconcache"
> > is still nowhere to be found on my pc since I deleted it.
> >
> > This "no icons" problem is quite intermittent. I can't pinpoint it to
> > anything that I might be doing in the course of my usage to cause this
> > problem from surfacing at next reboot.
> >
> > Can anyone provide any further insight or suggestions to this problem?

Hi Rick.. I have set Show Hidden Files and Folders -- still no sign of
Shelliconcache.

A driver getting stuck partially through its load sounds like the most
feasible at this point. There are no items with exclamation marks in Device
Mangler.

I don't see an option in Start/Run/MSCONFIG/General(Tab) to "generate
bootlog". But BOOTLOG.TXT and BOOTLOG.PRV seem to get generated in the
root drive anyway. There are several items marked "failed" in that file.
That's a beginning - THANKS.

"Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote..

> ShellIconCache is a Hidden file that you normally won't see unless you
> set the Folder to "display Hidden files". cmdinst is IIRC a program
> loader; by itself it doesn't indicate anything except that there's a
> driver that's stuck halfway through loading.

> At a guess sounds like your printer (or USB driver) is doing nasty things.
>
> You might want to check ControlPanel/System/DeviceManager for any
> exclmaation or question marks.
>

> Also, you should start booting with BootLogging on; selectable from ...
>
> Start/Run/MSCONFIG/General(Tab)
>
> check "generate bootlog"(or whatever the checkbox is); that will
> indicate at what point the boot is hanging.
>

> Rick
>

> Ogg wrote:
> > I reported this same symptom a few weeks ago: at bootup, the pc would
stall
> > and fail to populate the desktop with the necessary icons. Mouse is
still
> > usable. <p>I applied the recommendations from here, and ms support site
> > (deleting the shelliconcache file, increasing the cache size via ther
> > Registry), but the problem is still re-occurring from time to time! A
> > ctr-alt-del to reveal the tasklist would only reveal my Lexpps process
and
> > something called "cmdninst". I can't seem to find anything at ms site
about
> > this latter file.
> >
> > The only way I can recover into normal mode with all my icons in place
is if
> > boot into SafeMode first, and then do a normal reboot. BTW,
"shelliconcache"
> > is still nowhere to be found on my pc since I deleted it.
> >
> > This "no icons" problem is quite intermittent. I can't pinpoint it to
> > anything that I might be doing in the course of my usage to cause this
> > problem from surfacing at next reboot.
> >
> > Can anyone provide any further insight or suggestions to this problem?

There is no option for "Show Dektop Icon" when I right-click on a blank area
of the desktop. But the icons DO normally show up as they are expected to.
But as Rick as suggested.. something is getting stuck during the load, and
the BOOTLOG.PRV/.TXT is a good starting point to look.

"Walterius" <nohow@noway.not> wrote...

> I assume that if you right-click on a blank area of the desktop, and
choose
> Properties, that "Show Desktop Icons" is indeed checked? When this
situation
> occurs, could something be un-checking it?
>
> --
> Walterius
>
> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > ShellIconCache is a Hidden file that you normally won't see unless you
> > set the Folder to "display Hidden files". cmdinst is IIRC a program
> > loader; by itself it doesn't indicate anything except that there's a
> > driver that's stuck halfway through loading.
> >
> > At a guess sounds like your printer (or USB driver) is doing nasty
things.

> > You might want to check ControlPanel/System/DeviceManager for any
> > exclmaation or question marks.
> >

> > Also, you should start booting with BootLogging on; selectable from ...
> >
> > Start/Run/MSCONFIG/General(Tab)
> >
> > check "generate bootlog"(or whatever the checkbox is); that will
> > indicate at what point the boot is hanging.
> >

> > Rick
> >

> > Ogg wrote:
> > > I reported this same symptom a few weeks ago: at bootup, the pc would
> stall
> > > and fail to populate the desktop with the necessary icons. Mouse is
> still
> > > usable. <p>I applied the recommendations from here, and ms support
site
> > > (deleting the shelliconcache file, increasing the cache size via ther
> > > Registry), but the problem is still re-occurring from time to time! A
> > > ctr-alt-del to reveal the tasklist would only reveal my Lexpps process
> and
> > > something called "cmdninst". I can't seem to find anything at ms site
> about
> > > this latter file.
> > >
> > > The only way I can recover into normal mode with all my icons in place
> is if
> > > boot into SafeMode first, and then do a normal reboot. BTW,
> "shelliconcache"
> > > is still nowhere to be found on my pc since I deleted it.
> > >
> > > This "no icons" problem is quite intermittent. I can't pinpoint it to
> > > anything that I might be doing in the course of my usage to cause this
> > > problem from surfacing at next reboot.
> > >
> > > Can anyone provide any further insight or suggestions to this problem?

I'm sorry. Click Properties and *then* look at "Show Desktop Icons."

--
Walterius

"Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote in message
> There is no option for "Show Dektop Icon" when I right-click on a blank
area
> of the desktop. But the icons DO normally show up as they are expected
to.
> But as Rick as suggested.. something is getting stuck during the load, and
> the BOOTLOG.PRV/.TXT is a good starting point to look.
>

> "Walterius" <nohow@noway.not> wrote...
>
> > I assume that if you right-click on a blank area of the desktop, and
> choose
> > Properties, that "Show Desktop Icons" is indeed checked? When this
> situation
> > occurs, could something be un-checking it?
> >
> > --
> > Walterius
> >
> > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > ShellIconCache is a Hidden file that you normally won't see unless you
> > > set the Folder to "display Hidden files". cmdinst is IIRC a program
> > > loader; by itself it doesn't indicate anything except that there's a
> > > driver that's stuck halfway through loading.
> > >
> > > At a guess sounds like your printer (or USB driver) is doing nasty
> things.
> > >
> > > You might want to check ControlPanel/System/DeviceManager for any
> > > exclmaation or question marks.
> > >

> > > Also, you should start booting with BootLogging on; selectable from
> > >
> > > Start/Run/MSCONFIG/General(Tab)
> > >
> > > check "generate bootlog"(or whatever the checkbox is); that will
> > > indicate at what point the boot is hanging.
> > >

> > > Rick

> > stall
> > still
> site
> > and
> > about

> > is if
> > "shelliconcache"

All I have is "Show all COLORs in desktop icons" option. I looked in all
the tabs.