Free Memory

Hi all,
I am helping my mother with her PC. Everything was fine until a few weeks
ago. She received an error message while initiating Outlook Express. It
would just hang and when she would exit from the program, she would get an
error message stating there is not enough free memory to run this program.
She currently has 128 megs and really only uses the PC for email and web
surfing. It is a Celeron and is running on Win ME 4.90.3000. If she does
not open OE, the memory message does not appear. I have removed OE and
reinstalled it but still no luck. It does not even retrieve her email. I
have used a virus scan and also scanned it for spyware/scumware. It appears
to be clean.
Any suggestions? It all began with OE not connecting.
Many thanks,
Faith

Or use Outlook Express.

--
Walterius

<theone@winsoul.com> wrote in message
> Hi, i recommend to try RamCleaner -
> http://www.benutec.com/products/ramcleaner/

I don't get your response.....she is using Outlook Express.

"Walterius" <nohow@noway.not> wrote in message
> Or use Outlook Express.
>
> --
> Walterius
>
> <theone@winsoul.com> wrote in message
>> Hi, i recommend to try RamCleaner -
>> http://www.benutec.com/products/ramcleaner/

Ottherwise known as 'how to screw your PC in thirty seconds'!!

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

<theone@winsoul.com> wrote in message
> Hi, i recommend to try RamCleaner -
> http://www.benutec.com/products/ramcleaner/

This type of problem is often caused by a corrupted Inbox.dbx file - do a
search for such a file, and rename it to Inbox.dbx.old - then restart OE. It
should create a new Inbox......

If that works, then try DBXtract from
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/Default.aspx to recover the 'lost emails in
the Inbox - and then teach your mother to move stuff out of the Inbox as
soon as it comes in - preferably using Message rules.

--

"Faith Risa" <FaithRisa@no.gmail.spam.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I am helping my mother with her PC. Everything was fine until a few weeks
> ago. She received an error message while initiating Outlook Express. It
> would just hang and when she would exit from the program, she would get an
> error message stating there is not enough free memory to run this program.
> She currently has 128 megs and really only uses the PC for email and web
> surfing. It is a Celeron and is running on Win ME 4.90.3000. If she does
> not open OE, the memory message does not appear. I have removed OE and
> reinstalled it but still no luck. It does not even retrieve her email. I
> have used a virus scan and also scanned it for spyware/scumware. It
> appears to be clean.
> Any suggestions? It all began with OE not connecting.
> Many thanks,
> Faith

Noel,
I actually removed OE and then reinstalled it.
Are you still suggesting it might be a corrupt dbx file?
Thanks,
Faith

> This type of problem is often caused by a corrupted Inbox.dbx file - do a
> search for such a file, and rename it to Inbox.dbx.old - then restart OE.
> It should create a new Inbox......
>
> If that works, then try DBXtract from
> http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/Default.aspx to recover the 'lost emails in
> the Inbox - and then teach your mother to move stuff out of the Inbox as
> soon as it comes in - preferably using Message rules.
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Faith Risa" <FaithRisa@no.gmail.spam.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>> I am helping my mother with her PC. Everything was fine until a few
>> weeks ago. She received an error message while initiating Outlook
>> Express. It would just hang and when she would exit from the program,
>> she would get an error message stating there is not enough free memory to
>> run this program. She currently has 128 megs and really only uses the PC
>> for email and web surfing. It is a Celeron and is running on Win ME
>> 4.90.3000. If she does not open OE, the memory message does not appear.
>> I have removed OE and reinstalled it but still no luck. It does not even
>> retrieve her email. I have used a virus scan and also scanned it for
>> spyware/scumware. It appears to be clean.
>> Any suggestions? It all began with OE not connecting.
>> Many thanks,
>> Faith

KB

If I could stop laughing long enough to post a worthy
response...................

Another good phrase.

Kudos, Noel.

KB

ps Does Norton fall into this category?
> Ottherwise known as 'how to screw your PC in thirty seconds'!!
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> <theone@winsoul.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, i recommend to try RamCleaner -
> > http://www.benutec.com/products/ramcleaner/

It takes 200 to 300 MB of RAM to boot my parents' Dell computer. You need more
RAM! Like 512 MB!

After getting that taken care of... you can get Low Resources error messages
that have to do with the outdated Operating System.

I saw a Compaq machine at Wal-Mart for $429 today; it comes with a 17" monitor
too.

That's purest BS - Win ME will work happily with 64<B (slowly - but
happily!), and very nicely with 128MB.

How many fonts are installed on the system? - look in C:\Windows\Fonts - if
it's more than around 500 then you need to get rid of a few.

--

"Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in
message news:b1aPe.9395$PM3.7677@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

| That's purest BS - Win ME will work happily with 64<B (slowly - but
| happily!), and very nicely with 128MB.
|
| How many fonts are installed on the system? - look in C:\Windows\Fonts - if
| it's more than around 500 then you need to get rid of a few.
|

| --
| Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Just looking at my Off Topic Windows 98SE machine here, which also takes more
than 200 MB of RAM to boot up: the Fonts folder has 252 files in one folder and
is exactly 100 MB big! I wouldn't dare get rid of fonts unless I had prime
information on how to do it.

If your system takes 200MB to boot, then you have either disabled VM, or are
running too many programs in the background - ME WILL run quite happily in
64MB (and I've run it in less, 'in extremis')

--

message news:cFnPe.12001$PM3.8597@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> | That's purest BS - Win ME will work happily with 64<B (slowly - but
> | happily!), and very nicely with 128MB.
> |
> | How many fonts are installed on the system? - look in C:\Windows\Fonts -
> if
> | it's more than around 500 then you need to get rid of a few.
> |

> | --
> | Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>

> Just looking at my Off Topic Windows 98SE machine here, which also takes
> more
> than 200 MB of RAM to boot up: the Fonts folder has 252 files in one
> folder and
> is exactly 100 MB big! I wouldn't dare get rid of fonts unless I had prime
> information on how to do it.

The question is why anyone would be running a 8MB chip in system today :>)

All the best,
--
George Aker aka SG
Google is your friend www.google.com

> If your system takes 200MB to boot, then you have either disabled VM, or
are
> running too many programs in the background - ME WILL run quite happily in
> 64MB (and I've run it in less, 'in extremis')
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in
> message news:cFnPe.12001$PM3.8597@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> >
> > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> > | That's purest BS - Win ME will work happily with 64<B (slowly - but
> > | happily!), and very nicely with 128MB.
> > |
> > | How many fonts are installed on the system? - look in
C:\Windows\Fonts -
> > if
> > | it's more than around 500 then you need to get rid of a few.
> > |

> > | --
> > | Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> >

> > Just looking at my Off Topic Windows 98SE machine here, which also takes
> > more
> > than 200 MB of RAM to boot up: the Fonts folder has 252 files in one
> > folder and
> > is exactly 100 MB big! I wouldn't dare get rid of fonts unless I had
prime
> > information on how to do it.

All I can say is that the PC has been running happily for some time now.
She is not running any programs in the background and it worked just fine on
128 megs....

| All I can say is that the PC has been running happily for some time now.
| She is not running any programs in the background and it worked just fine on
| 128 megs....

Make a bigger swapfile.

ME's memory manager is quite capable of adjusting the size of the swapfile
to whatever is required (up to 2GB if necessary) - for the user to limit the
size in any way (other than specifying a minimum size) is asking for
trouble.

--

message news:D24Qe.40588$EX.31144@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

> "Faith Risa" <FaithRisa@no.gmail.spam.com> wrote in message
> | All I can say is that the PC has been running happily for some time now.
> | She is not running any programs in the background and it worked just
> fine on
> | 128 megs....
> |

> Make a bigger swapfile.

Latest posts