CD Drawer

My CD Drive /writer opens and closes when I boot up. It then opens as
Windows loads and several times later.

Any ideas. It has only just started doing it - don't think I have changed
anything.
14 answers Last reply
More about drawer

    Check for viruses, some are written to do just that...

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "John" <john@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > My CD Drive /writer opens and closes when I boot up. It then opens as
    > Windows loads and several times later.
    >
    > Any ideas. It has only just started doing it - don't think I have changed
    > anything.

    It was a Trojan - now cleared. Many thanks

    John wrote:
    > My CD Drive /writer opens and closes when I boot up. It then opens as
    > Windows loads and several times later.
    >
    > Any ideas. It has only just started doing it - don't think I have changed
    > anything.

    trojan...

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

    John wrote:
    > "John" <john@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>My CD Drive /writer opens and closes when I boot up. It then opens as
    >>Windows loads and several times later.
    >>
    >>Any ideas. It has only just started doing it - don't think I have changed
    >>anything.
    >>

    > It was a Trojan - now cleared. Many thanks

    Which means someone may have had access to every keystroke you made and
    every document and password stored on your computer. I'd begin the
    process of changing ALL passwords immediately. Further, be on gaurd for
    identity theft if you kept name, birthday, and social security number in
    any document on your computer. Watch your credit card as well if you
    made any online purchases. In future, you should be using a firewall
    (ZoneAlarm and Sygate are both free for personal use) and CURRENT and
    UPDATED antivirus software (at the minimum). A program like Trojan
    Defense Suite 3 wouldn't be off the mark, either. If you're on
    broadband, you better hope they weren't also using your computer for
    illegal activities which will now trace back to you...

    Cheers,

    Ari

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

    On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 02:17:25 +0800, spodosaurus
    <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:

    >Which means someone may have had access to every keystroke you made and
    >every document and password stored on your computer. I'd begin the
    >process of changing ALL passwords immediately. Further, be on gaurd for
    >identity theft if you kept name, birthday, and social security number in
    >any document on your computer. Watch your credit card as well if you
    >made any online purchases. In future, you should be using a firewall
    >(ZoneAlarm and Sygate are both free for personal use) and CURRENT and
    >UPDATED antivirus software (at the minimum). A program like Trojan
    >Defense Suite 3 wouldn't be off the mark, either. If you're on
    >broadband, you better hope they weren't also using your computer for
    >illegal activities which will now trace back to you...
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Ari

    And watch out for black helicopters over your house. There are many
    kinds of trojans. The one he had sounds fairly benign and just an
    annoyance. What was the name of that Trojan, the scanning software
    would have told you.

    Win32.HLLW.VB.s W32/Generic.d was a couple of them. Another Java
    script exploitation

    "Aldwyn Edain" <ae@invalid.email> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 02:17:25 +0800, spodosaurus
    > <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Which means someone may have had access to every keystroke you made and
    >>every document and password stored on your computer. I'd begin the
    >>process of changing ALL passwords immediately. Further, be on gaurd for
    >>identity theft if you kept name, birthday, and social security number in
    >>any document on your computer. Watch your credit card as well if you
    >>made any online purchases. In future, you should be using a firewall
    >>(ZoneAlarm and Sygate are both free for personal use) and CURRENT and
    >>UPDATED antivirus software (at the minimum). A program like Trojan
    >>Defense Suite 3 wouldn't be off the mark, either. If you're on
    >>broadband, you better hope they weren't also using your computer for
    >>illegal activities which will now trace back to you...
    >>
    >>Cheers,
    >>
    >>Ari
    >
    > And watch out for black helicopters over your house. There are many
    > kinds of trojans. The one he had sounds fairly benign and just an
    > annoyance. What was the name of that Trojan, the scanning software
    > would have told you.

    On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 02:17:25 +0800, spodosaurus
    <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:

    >John wrote:
    >> "John" <john@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>My CD Drive /writer opens and closes when I boot up. It then opens as
    >>>Windows loads and several times later.
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas. It has only just started doing it - don't think I have changed
    >>>anything.
    >>>

    >> It was a Trojan - now cleared. Many thanks
    >>

    >Which means someone may have had access to every keystroke you made and
    >every document and password stored on your computer. I'd begin the
    >process of changing ALL passwords immediately. Further, be on gaurd for
    >identity theft if you kept name, birthday, and social security number in
    >any document on your computer. Watch your credit card as well if you
    >made any online purchases. In future, you should be using a firewall
    >(ZoneAlarm and Sygate are both free for personal use) and CURRENT and
    >UPDATED antivirus software (at the minimum). A program like Trojan
    >Defense Suite 3 wouldn't be off the mark, either. If you're on
    >broadband, you better hope they weren't also using your computer for
    >illegal activities which will now trace back to you...
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Ari

    Might want to throttle back the paranoia a notch. It's certainly
    possible and keeping an eye on your financial details isn't a bad
    idea, however, if the trojan author's aim was to steal your ID, it'd
    be pretty stupid of him to advertise the presence of the trojan with
    childish poltergeist tricks.

    MCheu

    >>> My CD Drive /writer opens and closes when I boot up. It then opens as Windows loads and several times later.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas. It has only just started doing it - don't think I have changed anything.
    >>>

    >> It was a Trojan - now cleared. Many thanks
    >>

    > Which means someone may have had access to every keystroke you made and every document and password stored on your computer. I'd begin the process of changing ALL passwords immediately. Further, be on gaurd for identity theft if you kept name, birthday, and social security number in any document on your computer. Watch your credit card as well if you made any online purchases.

    Right. Let's not needlessly alarm this poor person, shall we?

    "John" <john@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > My CD Drive /writer opens and closes when I boot up. It then opens as
    > Windows loads and several times later.
    >
    > Any ideas. It has only just started doing it - don't think I have changed
    > anything.

    It is still doing it _ I thought it had stopped.

    I am running all of my antivirus / Adaware and Spybot programmes.

    It first opens and closes very early in the boot process. Then opens when
    Windows boots (and re-opens if closed for a while)

    Could it be a BIOS problem - or even hardware?

    nero installed?
    an earlier version of smartstart had this effect.
    it just could be a hardware thing, here's a thought, pull the ribbon but
    leave the power running to it. Does it still open and close?

    > "John" <john@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >> My CD Drive /writer opens and closes when I boot up. It then opens as
    >> Windows loads and several times later.
    >>
    >> Any ideas. It has only just started doing it - don't think I have changed
    >> anything.
    >>

    > It is still doing it _ I thought it had stopped.
    >
    > I am running all of my antivirus / Adaware and Spybot programmes.
    >

    > It first opens and closes very early in the boot process. Then opens when
    > Windows boots (and re-opens if closed for a while)
    >
    > Could it be a BIOS problem - or even hardware?

    also john your antivirus may have removed only part of the infection. the
    java script file may still be present. The name could be anything, but
    usually ends in 'script' or that word could be in it. could be in
    :/windows, windows/system, or root of your OS partition.

    On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 15:57:50 GMT, "John" <john@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >It is still doing it _ I thought it had stopped.
    >
    >I am running all of my antivirus / Adaware and Spybot programmes.
    >

    >It first opens and closes very early in the boot process. Then opens when
    >Windows boots (and re-opens if closed for a while)
    >
    >Could it be a BIOS problem - or even hardware?

    If you want to be certain it's a hardware fault and not a trojan or
    virus then you might have to do a wipe of your hard drive and then
    install your OS from scratch - while disconnected from the internet.

    Get Dban and it will wipe your HDD clean and destroy all partitions
    and boot sectors. This will guarantee there are no nasties hidden on
    your HDD before doing a clean install. It takes quite a while to do
    the wipe too.

    *Only do this as a last resort.*

    http://dban.sourceforge.net/

    MCheu wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 02:17:25 +0800, spodosaurus
    > <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
    >

    >>John wrote:
    >>
    >>>"John" <john@nowhere.com> wrote in message

    >>>It was a Trojan - now cleared. Many thanks
    >>>

    >>Which means someone may have had access to every keystroke you made and
    >>every document and password stored on your computer. I'd begin the
    >>process of changing ALL passwords immediately. Further, be on gaurd for
    >>identity theft if you kept name, birthday, and social security number in
    >>any document on your computer. Watch your credit card as well if you
    >>made any online purchases. In future, you should be using a firewall
    >>(ZoneAlarm and Sygate are both free for personal use) and CURRENT and
    >>UPDATED antivirus software (at the minimum). A program like Trojan
    >>Defense Suite 3 wouldn't be off the mark, either. If you're on
    >>broadband, you better hope they weren't also using your computer for
    >>illegal activities which will now trace back to you...
    >>
    >>Cheers,
    >>
    >>Ari
    >

    > Might want to throttle back the paranoia a notch. It's certainly
    > possible and keeping an eye on your financial details isn't a bad
    > idea, however, if the trojan author's aim was to steal your ID, it'd
    > be pretty stupid of him to advertise the presence of the trojan with
    > childish poltergeist tricks.

    > MCheu

    I'm only going by what the OP has told us: there was a trojan on his
    system. I'm not psychic and cannot read the mind of the author of that
    trojan, nor remotely estimate his IQ. However, not all trojans are keyed
    with a password, meaning once infected more than one person can access
    that computer remotely.

    Cheers,

    Ari

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

    It doesn't do it if I leave a CD in the player. Although the light shows
    some activity before going off.

Homebuilt CD-Rom CD Drives Systems