Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CD Drawer

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 5, 2005 9:52:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

My CD Drive /writer opens and closes when I boot up. It then opens as
Windows loads and several times later.

Any ideas. It has only just started doing it - don't think I have changed
anything.

More about : drawer

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 5, 2005 6:24:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Check for viruses, some are written to do just that...


--
Tumppi
Reply to group
=================================================
Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
(translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
=================================================



"John" <john@nowhere.com> kirjoitti viestissä
news:wIp4e.8743$il.2620@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...
> My CD Drive /writer opens and closes when I boot up. It then opens as
> Windows loads and several times later.
>
> Any ideas. It has only just started doing it - don't think I have changed
> anything.
>
>
April 5, 2005 9:54:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"John" <john@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:wIp4e.8743$il.2620@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...
> My CD Drive /writer opens and closes when I boot up. It then opens as
> Windows loads and several times later.
>
> Any ideas. It has only just started doing it - don't think I have changed
> anything.
>

It was a Trojan - now cleared. Many thanks
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 6, 2005 12:19:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

John wrote:
> My CD Drive /writer opens and closes when I boot up. It then opens as
> Windows loads and several times later.
>
> Any ideas. It has only just started doing it - don't think I have changed
> anything.
>
>

trojan...

--
spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo

I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. Complications in
hospital following this resulted in a serious illness. I now need a bone
marrow transplant. Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow
transplant, too. Please volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 6, 2005 6:17:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

John wrote:
> "John" <john@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> news:wIp4e.8743$il.2620@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...
>
>>My CD Drive /writer opens and closes when I boot up. It then opens as
>>Windows loads and several times later.
>>
>>Any ideas. It has only just started doing it - don't think I have changed
>>anything.
>>
>
>
> It was a Trojan - now cleared. Many thanks
>
>

Which means someone may have had access to every keystroke you made and
every document and password stored on your computer. I'd begin the
process of changing ALL passwords immediately. Further, be on gaurd for
identity theft if you kept name, birthday, and social security number in
any document on your computer. Watch your credit card as well if you
made any online purchases. In future, you should be using a firewall
(ZoneAlarm and Sygate are both free for personal use) and CURRENT and
UPDATED antivirus software (at the minimum). A program like Trojan
Defense Suite 3 wouldn't be off the mark, either. If you're on
broadband, you better hope they weren't also using your computer for
illegal activities which will now trace back to you...

Cheers,

Ari


--
spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo

I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. Complications in
hospital following this resulted in a serious illness. I now need a bone
marrow transplant. Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow
transplant, too. Please volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 6, 2005 6:17:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 02:17:25 +0800, spodosaurus
<spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:


>Which means someone may have had access to every keystroke you made and
>every document and password stored on your computer. I'd begin the
>process of changing ALL passwords immediately. Further, be on gaurd for
>identity theft if you kept name, birthday, and social security number in
>any document on your computer. Watch your credit card as well if you
>made any online purchases. In future, you should be using a firewall
>(ZoneAlarm and Sygate are both free for personal use) and CURRENT and
>UPDATED antivirus software (at the minimum). A program like Trojan
>Defense Suite 3 wouldn't be off the mark, either. If you're on
>broadband, you better hope they weren't also using your computer for
>illegal activities which will now trace back to you...
>
>Cheers,
>
>Ari

And watch out for black helicopters over your house. There are many
kinds of trojans. The one he had sounds fairly benign and just an
annoyance. What was the name of that Trojan, the scanning software
would have told you.
April 6, 2005 6:17:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Win32.HLLW.VB.s W32/Generic.d was a couple of them. Another Java
script exploitation

"Aldwyn Edain" <ae@invalid.email> wrote in message
news:0a36515ff8n2l7glv9kkr8or6fa9o2idd6@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 02:17:25 +0800, spodosaurus
> <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
>
>
>>Which means someone may have had access to every keystroke you made and
>>every document and password stored on your computer. I'd begin the
>>process of changing ALL passwords immediately. Further, be on gaurd for
>>identity theft if you kept name, birthday, and social security number in
>>any document on your computer. Watch your credit card as well if you
>>made any online purchases. In future, you should be using a firewall
>>(ZoneAlarm and Sygate are both free for personal use) and CURRENT and
>>UPDATED antivirus software (at the minimum). A program like Trojan
>>Defense Suite 3 wouldn't be off the mark, either. If you're on
>>broadband, you better hope they weren't also using your computer for
>>illegal activities which will now trace back to you...
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Ari
>
> And watch out for black helicopters over your house. There are many
> kinds of trojans. The one he had sounds fairly benign and just an
> annoyance. What was the name of that Trojan, the scanning software
> would have told you.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 6, 2005 6:45:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 02:17:25 +0800, spodosaurus
<spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:

>John wrote:
>> "John" <john@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> news:wIp4e.8743$il.2620@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...
>>
>>>My CD Drive /writer opens and closes when I boot up. It then opens as
>>>Windows loads and several times later.
>>>
>>>Any ideas. It has only just started doing it - don't think I have changed
>>>anything.
>>>
>>
>>
>> It was a Trojan - now cleared. Many thanks
>>
>>
>
>Which means someone may have had access to every keystroke you made and
>every document and password stored on your computer. I'd begin the
>process of changing ALL passwords immediately. Further, be on gaurd for
>identity theft if you kept name, birthday, and social security number in
>any document on your computer. Watch your credit card as well if you
>made any online purchases. In future, you should be using a firewall
>(ZoneAlarm and Sygate are both free for personal use) and CURRENT and
>UPDATED antivirus software (at the minimum). A program like Trojan
>Defense Suite 3 wouldn't be off the mark, either. If you're on
>broadband, you better hope they weren't also using your computer for
>illegal activities which will now trace back to you...
>
>Cheers,
>
>Ari

Might want to throttle back the paranoia a notch. It's certainly
possible and keeping an eye on your financial details isn't a bad
idea, however, if the trojan author's aim was to steal your ID, it'd
be pretty stupid of him to advertise the presence of the trojan with
childish poltergeist tricks.


---------------------------------------------

MCheu
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 6, 2005 7:47:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

>>> My CD Drive /writer opens and closes when I boot up. It then opens as Windows loads and several times later.
>>>
>>> Any ideas. It has only just started doing it - don't think I have changed anything.
>>>
>>
>>
>> It was a Trojan - now cleared. Many thanks
>>
>
> Which means someone may have had access to every keystroke you made and every document and password stored on your computer. I'd begin the process of changing ALL passwords immediately. Further, be on gaurd for identity theft if you kept name, birthday, and social security number in any document on your computer. Watch your credit card as well if you made any online purchases.

Right. Let's not needlessly alarm this poor person, shall we?
April 6, 2005 7:57:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"John" <john@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:wIp4e.8743$il.2620@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...
> My CD Drive /writer opens and closes when I boot up. It then opens as
> Windows loads and several times later.
>
> Any ideas. It has only just started doing it - don't think I have changed
> anything.
>

It is still doing it _ I thought it had stopped.

I am running all of my antivirus / Adaware and Spybot programmes.


It first opens and closes very early in the boot process. Then opens when
Windows boots (and re-opens if closed for a while)

Could it be a BIOS problem - or even hardware?
April 6, 2005 7:57:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

nero installed?
an earlier version of smartstart had this effect.
it just could be a hardware thing, here's a thought, pull the ribbon but
leave the power running to it. Does it still open and close?

"John" <john@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:2GT4e.8453$Br.4579@newsfe2-win.ntli.net...
>
> "John" <john@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> news:wIp4e.8743$il.2620@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...
>> My CD Drive /writer opens and closes when I boot up. It then opens as
>> Windows loads and several times later.
>>
>> Any ideas. It has only just started doing it - don't think I have changed
>> anything.
>>
>
> It is still doing it _ I thought it had stopped.
>
> I am running all of my antivirus / Adaware and Spybot programmes.
>
>
> It first opens and closes very early in the boot process. Then opens when
> Windows boots (and re-opens if closed for a while)
>
> Could it be a BIOS problem - or even hardware?
>
April 6, 2005 7:57:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

also john your antivirus may have removed only part of the infection. the
java script file may still be present. The name could be anything, but
usually ends in 'script' or that word could be in it. could be in
:/ windows, windows/system, or root of your OS partition.

"John" <john@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:2GT4e.8453$Br.4579@newsfe2-win.ntli.net...
>
> "John" <john@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> news:wIp4e.8743$il.2620@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...
>> My CD Drive /writer opens and closes when I boot up. It then opens as
>> Windows loads and several times later.
>>
>> Any ideas. It has only just started doing it - don't think I have changed
>> anything.
>>
>
> It is still doing it _ I thought it had stopped.
>
> I am running all of my antivirus / Adaware and Spybot programmes.
>
>
> It first opens and closes very early in the boot process. Then opens when
> Windows boots (and re-opens if closed for a while)
>
> Could it be a BIOS problem - or even hardware?
>
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 6, 2005 7:57:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 15:57:50 GMT, "John" <john@nowhere.com> wrote:


>It is still doing it _ I thought it had stopped.
>
>I am running all of my antivirus / Adaware and Spybot programmes.
>
>
>It first opens and closes very early in the boot process. Then opens when
>Windows boots (and re-opens if closed for a while)
>
>Could it be a BIOS problem - or even hardware?
>

If you want to be certain it's a hardware fault and not a trojan or
virus then you might have to do a wipe of your hard drive and then
install your OS from scratch - while disconnected from the internet.

Get Dban and it will wipe your HDD clean and destroy all partitions
and boot sectors. This will guarantee there are no nasties hidden on
your HDD before doing a clean install. It takes quite a while to do
the wipe too.

*Only do this as a last resort.*

http://dban.sourceforge.net/
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 7, 2005 7:02:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

MCheu wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 02:17:25 +0800, spodosaurus
> <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
>
>
>>John wrote:
>>
>>>"John" <john@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>>news:wIp4e.8743$il.2620@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...
>>>
>>>
>>>>My CD Drive /writer opens and closes when I boot up. It then opens as
>>>>Windows loads and several times later.
>>>>
>>>>Any ideas. It has only just started doing it - don't think I have changed
>>>>anything.
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>It was a Trojan - now cleared. Many thanks
>>>
>>>
>>
>>Which means someone may have had access to every keystroke you made and
>>every document and password stored on your computer. I'd begin the
>>process of changing ALL passwords immediately. Further, be on gaurd for
>>identity theft if you kept name, birthday, and social security number in
>>any document on your computer. Watch your credit card as well if you
>>made any online purchases. In future, you should be using a firewall
>>(ZoneAlarm and Sygate are both free for personal use) and CURRENT and
>>UPDATED antivirus software (at the minimum). A program like Trojan
>>Defense Suite 3 wouldn't be off the mark, either. If you're on
>>broadband, you better hope they weren't also using your computer for
>>illegal activities which will now trace back to you...
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Ari
>
>
> Might want to throttle back the paranoia a notch. It's certainly
> possible and keeping an eye on your financial details isn't a bad
> idea, however, if the trojan author's aim was to steal your ID, it'd
> be pretty stupid of him to advertise the presence of the trojan with
> childish poltergeist tricks.
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------
>
> MCheu

I'm only going by what the OP has told us: there was a trojan on his
system. I'm not psychic and cannot read the mind of the author of that
trojan, nor remotely estimate his IQ. However, not all trojans are keyed
with a password, meaning once infected more than one person can access
that computer remotely.

Cheers,

Ari


--
spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo

I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. Complications in
hospital following this resulted in a serious illness. I now need a bone
marrow transplant. Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow
transplant, too. Please volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
April 7, 2005 10:17:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

It doesn't do it if I leave a CD in the player. Although the light shows
some activity before going off.
!