Home Networking Problem

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
August 24, 2005 11:31:39 PM

I am trying to set up a home network involving two computers (one with
Windows Me and one with Windows XP) and a wireless router.

I have almost everything working. One the WinMe computer, I can see
and use files in shared folders on the WinXP computer, but not the
other way around. When the WinXP computer tries to access shared files
on the WinMe computer, it gives an error saying that it does not have
the right permissions.

What setting(s) on the WinMe computer do I need to change?

--
Paige Miller
pmiller5@rochester.rr.com

It's nothing until I call it -- Bill Klem, NL Umpire
If you get the choice to sit it out or dance,
I hope you dance -- Lee Ann Womack
August 25, 2005 12:55:35 AM

If you haven't done so, create a user on your XP machine that is the
same as the user log on for your ME machine. It's not necessary to be
logged on to the XP machine with the same log on, only that the user
exists on the XP box. If you're using a software firewall such as
Zonealarm, insure that the IP addresses for each machine are set as
trusted in ZA, or set a range of addresses as trusted on each. If your
router has a firewall capability and it's enabled, it may also be
necessary to create a firewall rule to permit access. Lastly, you'll
need to share a resource on the ME machine.

The Guest account on XP needs to be enabled for XP to see ME, so it
appears that you're okay with that.

Paige Miller wrote:
> I am trying to set up a home network involving two computers (one with
> Windows Me and one with Windows XP) and a wireless router.
>
> I have almost everything working. One the WinMe computer, I can see and
> use files in shared folders on the WinXP computer, but not the other way
> around. When the WinXP computer tries to access shared files on the
> WinMe computer, it gives an error saying that it does not have the right
> permissions.
>
> What setting(s) on the WinMe computer do I need to change?

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 3:29:02 AM

Paige Miller wrote:
> I am trying to set up a home network involving two computers (one with
> Windows Me and one with Windows XP) and a wireless router.
>
> I have almost everything working. One the WinMe computer, I can see and
> use files in shared folders on the WinXP computer, but not the other way
> around. When the WinXP computer tries to access shared files on the
> WinMe computer, it gives an error saying that it does not have the right
> permissions.
>
> What setting(s) on the WinMe computer do I need to change?

Just a guess, try enabling the guest account on the XP box

Jim
!