Windows ME failing to boot after install. Exception OE...

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
August 26, 2005 6:41:07 AM

Just finished building a new P4 system. Trying to load Windows ME onto
it, but after installation I recieve the following blue screen during
boot:

"An exception OE has occurred at 0028:C006115D in VxD VNETBIOS(01) +
00000B8D. This was called from 0028:C023F58B in VxD VMM(OC) +
0000058B."

Tried removing Client for Microsoft Networks, seeing as "VNETBIOS" was
listed. Tried disabling the Intel board's onboard network. Tried
Windows ME to load. It'll load in Safe Mode, but that's it.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Is ME simply not suited to modern systems?

Many thanks.
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 5:16:03 PM

I'm not sure if this may be a video problem but have a look here and see
if you can find any answers.
Joan

http://www.aumha.org/kberrmsg.htm

"ERROR: OE" or "ERROR: OD"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308366

How to Troubleshoot Windows Protection Error Messages [Q149962]
http://support.microsoft.com?scid=kb;EN-US;Q149962

Here's a whole page on Windows Protection Errors, with a description, some
key general articles for approaching them, and many articles focusing on
specific situations: http://aumha.org/win4/kbewpe.htm

"How to Examine Detailed Error Messages in Windows Millennium Edition"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];264938