Change Wait Time on Windows ME Startup Menu

Hello,
I'd like to change the value of the Wait Time for the DOS-based screen
"Windows Millenium Edition Startup Menu". It's currently set to 30 seconds.
I'd like to change it to 5.

I notice that in MSCONFIG there's a setting for me to avoid having the
startup menu displayed at all. I'd like to have it displayed, but only for
five seconds.

Thanks for your help.
--
Programmer on Budget
3 answers Last reply

    The display time for the menu is the value for the variable BootMenuDelay
    in the [Options] section in MSDOS.SYS measured in seconds. You can also
    set the default menu item to be started by altering the value of
    BootMenuDefault where a value of 1 launches Win Me in normal mode. If you
    don't want to display the boot menu set BootMenu=0 (1 = display menu).
    Finally the value of Logo can be used to switch the Win Me initial splash
    screen on (1) or off (0).

    You can edit msdos.sys using notepad however note that this is a hidden
    system file marked as read only and to edit the file requires first
    configuring Windows Explorer to see such files (Tools | Folder Options |
    View and check the box "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck the box
    "Hide protected operating system files"). Locate msdos.sys in the root of
    C:\, right click, select Properties and on the General tab uncheck the box
    "Read only".
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Budget Programmer <BudgetProgrammer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I'd like to change the value of the Wait Time for the DOS-based screen
    > "Windows Millenium Edition Startup Menu". It's currently set to 30
    > seconds. I'd like to change it to 5.
    >
    > I notice that in MSCONFIG there's a setting for me to avoid having the
    > startup menu displayed at all. I'd like to have it displayed, but
    > only for five seconds.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    Thanks a lot Mike. I really appreciate it.
    Phil
    --
    Programmer on Budget

    "Mike M" wrote:

    > The display time for the menu is the value for the variable BootMenuDelay
    > in the [Options] section in MSDOS.SYS measured in seconds. You can also
    > set the default menu item to be started by altering the value of
    > BootMenuDefault where a value of 1 launches Win Me in normal mode. If you
    > don't want to display the boot menu set BootMenu=0 (1 = display menu).
    > Finally the value of Logo can be used to switch the Win Me initial splash
    > screen on (1) or off (0).
    >
    > You can edit msdos.sys using notepad however note that this is a hidden
    > system file marked as read only and to edit the file requires first
    > configuring Windows Explorer to see such files (Tools | Folder Options |
    > View and check the box "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck the box
    > "Hide protected operating system files"). Locate msdos.sys in the root of
    > C:\, right click, select Properties and on the General tab uncheck the box
    > "Read only".
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Budget Programmer <BudgetProgrammer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > > I'd like to change the value of the Wait Time for the DOS-based screen
    > > "Windows Millenium Edition Startup Menu". It's currently set to 30
    > > seconds. I'd like to change it to 5.
    > >
    > > I notice that in MSCONFIG there's a setting for me to avoid having the
    > > startup menu displayed at all. I'd like to have it displayed, but
    > > only for five seconds.
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help.

    Budget Programmer <BudgetProgrammer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Thanks a lot Mike. I really appreciate it.

    Phil,

    Glad to have been able to help. Any further questions - well you know
    where to come. :-)

    Cheers,
    --
    Mike Maltby