Wireless modem for Shed out the back !!! Recomendations ne..

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
July 29, 2005 4:03:14 AM

Wireless modem for Shed out the back !!! Recomendations needed.

My nephew needs a modem that has some range. Probably a router with
the card to put in the PC out in the shed. But i have no idea how to
set one of these up so i need some help. And some recomendations on
equipment.

The range would be somthing like 20 metres or so. And not in a direct
line of site.

The rason he wants this is becuase his wife does NOT liuke him having
his PC on all night downloading. And as his wife does not go into the
Shed which is a carport. Multipurpose area. Its the perfect place to
leave a PC on all the time and download whatever.

Does the pc in the house have to be on for the PC in shed to connect
to the internet. As thats the problem needing to be solved NO pc on in
the house and PC on in shed. I asumed a pc would need to be on in the
house to be able to be connected to the net to send the net connection
to the PC in the shed.

Please let me know if this is th ecase. I have not used any wireless
devices other than mouse and keyboards.

Thanks for any help.
July 29, 2005 4:03:15 AM

Obviously the best solution in this case is to move his wife into the shed.
Save everyone a lot of hassle and expense. LOL!

-Frank

"No One Realy" <No one.com> wrote in message

> Wireless modem for Shed out the back !!! Recomendations needed.
>

> My nephew needs a modem that has some range. Probably a router with
> the card to put in the PC out in the shed. But i have no idea how to
> set one of these up so i need some help. And some recomendations on
> equipment.
>
> The range would be somthing like 20 metres or so. And not in a direct
> line of site.
>
> The rason he wants this is becuase his wife does NOT liuke him having
> his PC on all night downloading. And as his wife does not go into the
> Shed which is a carport. Multipurpose area. Its the perfect place to
> leave a PC on all the time and download whatever.
>
> Does the pc in the house have to be on for the PC in shed to connect
> to the internet. As thats the problem needing to be solved NO pc on in
> the house and PC on in shed. I asumed a pc would need to be on in the
> house to be able to be connected to the net to send the net connection
> to the PC in the shed.
>
> Please let me know if this is th ecase. I have not used any wireless
> devices other than mouse and keyboards.
>
> Thanks for any help.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 29, 2005 4:03:16 AM

The PC in the house would have to be kept on in order for the other PC to be
able to access the Internet. If his machine is quiet enough just switch off
the screen and his missis would be none the wiser.
--
Peter

"Frankster" wrote:

> Obviously the best solution in this case is to move his wife into the shed.
> Save everyone a lot of hassle and expense. LOL!
>
> -Frank
>
> "No One Realy" <No one.com> wrote in message
> >

> > Wireless modem for Shed out the back !!! Recomendations needed.
> >

> > My nephew needs a modem that has some range. Probably a router with
> > the card to put in the PC out in the shed. But i have no idea how to
> > set one of these up so i need some help. And some recomendations on
> > equipment.
> >
> > The range would be somthing like 20 metres or so. And not in a direct
> > line of site.
> >
> > The rason he wants this is becuase his wife does NOT liuke him having
> > his PC on all night downloading. And as his wife does not go into the
> > Shed which is a carport. Multipurpose area. Its the perfect place to
> > leave a PC on all the time and download whatever.
> >
> > Does the pc in the house have to be on for the PC in shed to connect
> > to the internet. As thats the problem needing to be solved NO pc on in
> > the house and PC on in shed. I asumed a pc would need to be on in the
> > house to be able to be connected to the net to send the net connection
> > to the PC in the shed.
> >
> > Please let me know if this is th ecase. I have not used any wireless
> > devices other than mouse and keyboards.
> >
> > Thanks for any help.

July 29, 2005 4:03:17 AM

Peter F wrote:

> The PC in the house would have to be kept on in order for the other PC
> to be able to access the Internet. If his machine is quiet enough just
> switch off the screen and his missis would be none the wiser.

The house PC does not need to be on if he is using a router. As for the
range necessary, it may be fine without anything extra. Try it.
Otherwise, check here:

http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html

Malke
--