Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Repeated 828026

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 12:37:57 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

I had a total failure on my C: drive a week or so back. I've reloaded ME
and all done all the updates. But KB828026 keeps coming up every day via
automatic update. An oddity is that, if I open Windows Update directly, IT
reports no updates available. If I look up the log there it tells me the
828026 has been successfully applied. I googled this news group and found a
thread a while ago on this issue, and tried some of the suggestions there,
without success. Is there a final, definitive way to stop this one? At
this point, I'm considering just shutting off WU and running the manually
when I do weekly maintenance.

- Bill

More about : repeated 828026

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 3:36:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"William J. Leary Jr." wrote:
>I had a total failure on my C: drive a week or so back. I've reloaded ME
> and all done all the updates. But KB828026 keeps coming up every day via
> automatic update. An oddity is that, if I open Windows Update directly, IT
> reports no updates available. If I look up the log there it tells me the
> 828026 has been successfully applied. I googled this news group and found a
> thread a while ago on this issue, and tried some of the suggestions there,
> without success. Is there a final, definitive way to stop this one? At
> this point, I'm considering just shutting off WU and running the manually
> when I do weekly maintenance.

While I'm not a Windows Update expert, you may try this.
Remove the listed KB from your Add/Remove Programs List.
Reboot, then apply the update manually.
Manual download here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyi...

Silj

--
siljaline

MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
_________________________________________
Security Tools Updates
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31

(Reply to group, as return address
is invalid - that we may all benefit)
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 7:45:39 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"siljaline" <siljaline@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:u2uuGhrqFHA.3640@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> "William J. Leary Jr." wrote:
> >I had a total failure on my C: drive a week or so back. I've reloaded ME
> > and all done all the updates. But KB828026 keeps coming up every day
via
> > automatic update. An oddity is that, if I open Windows Update directly,
IT
> > ((..omitted..))
>
> While I'm not a Windows Update expert, you may try this.
> Remove the listed KB from your Add/Remove Programs List.
> Reboot, then apply the update manually.
> Manual download here:
>
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyi...

That was one of the suggestions I saw, and I guess it worked for most
people. But KB828026 (or any variant there of) doesn't appear in my
add/remove program list.

- Bill
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 1:28:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Bill,

See http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/828026.htm for a detailed procedure for
how to solve this problem.

This is a copy of my reply posted on 10 May when you last asked this
question.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com


William J. Leary Jr. <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote:

> I had a total failure on my C: drive a week or so back. I've
> reloaded ME and all done all the updates. But KB828026 keeps coming
> up every day via automatic update. An oddity is that, if I open
> Windows Update directly, IT reports no updates available. If I look
> up the log there it tells me the 828026 has been successfully
> applied. I googled this news group and found a thread a while ago on
> this issue, and tried some of the suggestions there, without success.
> Is there a final, definitive way to stop this one? At this point,
> I'm considering just shutting off WU and running the manually when I
> do weekly maintenance.
>
> - Bill
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 2:46:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
news:%23kyYFFuqFHA.3620@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> See http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/828026.htm for a detailed procedure for
> how to solve this problem.
>
> This is a copy of my reply posted on 10 May when you last asked this
> question.

Yes, and it didn't work for me. Even when I skipped step 3 because it
didn't appear in add/remove.

Thanks for giving me the date. I *thought* I'd had this problem before, but
couldn't find either notes here or the message trail in Google. I see that
I used the wrong date range in my search. I thought this had happened late
2004 rather than in May of 2005.

Now that I've got the message trail, I can see what I did then that finally
worked. And some suggestions in the trail on some alternate ideas, which I
didn't use since I'd already fixed it.

Thanks again.

- Bill
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 4:29:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

1. Boot into Safe Mode.
2. Search for any and all WMP or WMP.DLL files and delete them (in my
case there was only one).
3. Re-boot into Normal Mode.
4. Re-download WMP9 and then KB828026.
5. Re-boot.
6. Check to see if update was offered again (it wasn't).
Hope this helps anyone with a similar problem.


--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

"William J. Leary Jr." <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote in message
news:_eidnZ2dnZ27xhyHnZ2dnYwrkt6dnZ2dRVn-yJ2dnZ0@comcast.com...
>I had a total failure on my C: drive a week or so back. I've reloaded ME
> and all done all the updates. But KB828026 keeps coming up every day via
> automatic update. An oddity is that, if I open Windows Update directly,
> IT
> reports no updates available. If I look up the log there it tells me the
> 828026 has been successfully applied. I googled this news group and found
> a
> thread a while ago on this issue, and tried some of the suggestions there,
> without success. Is there a final, definitive way to stop this one? At
> this point, I'm considering just shutting off WU and running the manually
> when I do weekly maintenance.
>
> - Bill
>
>
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 4:32:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

....actually, there is a simpler method in ME - which I used the other day.
Simply find and rename the WMP.DLL file, install 828026, and then go back to
WinUpdates, and reinstall the other broken update - 885492

HTH

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

"William J. Leary Jr." <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote in message
news:_eidnZ2dnZ27xhyHnZ2dnYwrkt6dnZ2dRVn-yJ2dnZ0@comcast.com...
>I had a total failure on my C: drive a week or so back. I've reloaded ME
> and all done all the updates. But KB828026 keeps coming up every day via
> automatic update. An oddity is that, if I open Windows Update directly,
> IT
> reports no updates available. If I look up the log there it tells me the
> 828026 has been successfully applied. I googled this news group and found
> a
> thread a while ago on this issue, and tried some of the suggestions there,
> without success. Is there a final, definitive way to stop this one? At
> this point, I'm considering just shutting off WU and running the manually
> when I do weekly maintenance.
>
> - Bill
>
>
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 4:32:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
news:e6yqPsvqFHA.464@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> ...actually, there is a simpler method in ME - which I used the other day.
> Simply find and rename the WMP.DLL file, install 828026, and then go back
to
> WinUpdates, and reinstall the other broken update - 885492

Ah! I wondered if tinkering with that file might do it. I downloaded an
entry from MS about the update, and one of the things it has is a summary of
the dates and sizes these files should end up at after the udpate. My
WMP.DLL is too old and too small.

Mike gave me the date of when I had this problem before, and thus I could
google how I solved it before. But this is much easier. I'll try this
first. Thanks.

- Bill
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 9:43:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Bill
Thjis makes me worry!! - why do you need to repeat this procedure?? what
have you done to your system since the original fix??


--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
"William J. Leary Jr." <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote in message
news:Cv-dnQVXCc4b4I3eRVn-tg@comcast.com...
> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> news:e6yqPsvqFHA.464@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> ...actually, there is a simpler method in ME - which I used the other
>> day.
>> Simply find and rename the WMP.DLL file, install 828026, and then go back
> to
>> WinUpdates, and reinstall the other broken update - 885492
>
> Ah! I wondered if tinkering with that file might do it. I downloaded an
> entry from MS about the update, and one of the things it has is a summary
> of
> the dates and sizes these files should end up at after the udpate. My
> WMP.DLL is too old and too small.
>
> Mike gave me the date of when I had this problem before, and thus I could
> google how I solved it before. But this is much easier. I'll try this
> first. Thanks.
>
> - Bill
>
>
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 9:43:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"Noel Paton" <noeldpspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
news:e0RfAayqFHA.4044@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Thjis makes me worry!! - why do you need to repeat this procedure?? what
> have you done to your system since the original fix??

No worry: From my original message:

Name: "William J. Leary Jr." Bill_Leary@msn.com
Group: microsoft.public.windowsme.general
Date: Friday, August 26, 2005 8:37 PM
> I had a total failure on my C: drive a week or so back. I've reloaded
> ME and all done all the updates. But KB828026 keeps coming up
> every day via automatic update.

- Bill
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 2:07:12 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
news:e6yqPsvqFHA.464@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> ...actually, there is a simpler method in ME - which I used the other day.
> Simply find and rename the WMP.DLL file, install 828026, and then go back
to
> WinUpdates, and reinstall the other broken update - 885492

Follow up. The above didn't work. WU just ran and it tells me I need this
update... again.

I'll try the longer one you preceded this with.

Failing that, I'll try the procedure I used back in May.

- Bill
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 12:21:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Either you renamed the wrong file, or there's something screwy with your
system!
What's the version number of the WMP.DLL file you renamed??


--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

"William J. Leary Jr." <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote in message
news:p 5-dnZ2dnZ2ZkQS7nZ2dneSBjN6dnZ2dRVn-yZ2dnZ0@comcast.com...
> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> news:e6yqPsvqFHA.464@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> ...actually, there is a simpler method in ME - which I used the other
>> day.
>> Simply find and rename the WMP.DLL file, install 828026, and then go back
> to
>> WinUpdates, and reinstall the other broken update - 885492
>
> Follow up. The above didn't work. WU just ran and it tells me I need
> this
> update... again.
>
> I'll try the longer one you preceded this with.
>
> Failing that, I'll try the procedure I used back in May.
>
> - Bill
>
>
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 12:41:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
news:u%23PlgE6qFHA.3216@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Either you renamed the wrong file, or there's something screwy with your
> system!
> What's the version number of the WMP.DLL file you renamed??

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMP.DLL 4,874,240 bytes 8/2/2004 12:56:48 AM
Company Name: Microsoft Corporation
File Version Description: 9.00.00.3250
Internal Name: WMPDLL.DLL
Language: English (United States)
OLE SelfRegister: Microsoft(R) Windows Media Player
Original Filename: WMPDLL.DLL
Product Name: Microsoft(R) Windows Media Player
Product Version: 9.00.00.3250

I've been assuming all along that there's "something screwy" with my system.

Every other update applied without problems. Only this one is giving me
problems.

- Bill
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 2:03:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

I don't understand what is happening here at all as Bill shouldn't have a
copy of wmp.dll after having deleted it as part of the method set out at
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/828026.htm which he followed earlier.

Of course, 828026 then needs to be installed after deleting wmp.dll.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com


Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:

> Either you renamed the wrong file, or there's something screwy with
> your system!
> What's the version number of the WMP.DLL file you renamed??
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 2:32:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Bill,

What antivirus application do you use and do you have it running whilst
installing patches from the Windows Update site?
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com


William J. Leary Jr. <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote:

> Follow up. The above didn't work. WU just ran and it tells me I
> need this update... again.
>
> I'll try the longer one you preceded this with.
>
> Failing that, I'll try the procedure I used back in May.
>
> - Bill
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 2:32:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
news:%23JgroN7qFHA.3600@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> What antivirus application do you use and do you have it running whilst
> installing patches from the Windows Update site?

Nortons 2005. I usually don't bother to turn it off and usually don't have
problems.

BUT...

When this thing came up the second time, the first thing that came to mind
was the AV, so I did turn it off for the second attempt. And I've turned it
off for all of these various clean up attempts as well. And by "turn off" I
mean I went into MSCONFIG and unchecked everything having anything to do
with it then verified by Process Explorer that it was really not running at
all.

- Bill
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 3:16:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"William J. Leary Jr." <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote in message
news:0_6dnWKHMIQHL4zeRVn-sQ@comcast.com...
> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
> news:%23JgroN7qFHA.3600@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > What antivirus application do you use and do you have it running whilst
> > installing patches from the Windows Update site?
>
> Nortons 2005. I usually don't bother to turn it off and usually don't
have
> problems.
>
> BUT...
>
> When this thing came up the second time, the first thing that came to mind
> was the AV, so I did turn it off for the second attempt. And I've turned
it
> off for all of these various clean up attempts as well. And by "turn off"
I
> mean I went into MSCONFIG and unchecked everything having anything to do
> with it then verified by Process Explorer that it was really not running
at
> all.

I just remembered something else about this, and I've just checked my notes
(yeah, I keep notes... habit from work).

When I was rebuilding the system, I didn't install Nortons until AFTER I'd
done all the Windows Updates. And it was doing repeated 828025's then too.
I'd installed all the updates, and noticed that 828025 was repeating. I
thought I'd remembered that this had happened before, so I went ahead an
installed my other software, figuring I'd dig out my notes from the last
time and use them to fix it. Then I couldn't find the notes. The point
being, I was getting repeats before I'd even installed NAV.

- Bill
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 6:09:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

The only thing I can think of is that you allowed 885492 to install at the
same time as 828026 - and it will install first (which prevents 828026
installing, which causes your problem)


--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

"William J. Leary Jr." <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote in message
news:e9ydncYJlJi1LIzeRVn-2g@comcast.com...
> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> news:u%23PlgE6qFHA.3216@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Either you renamed the wrong file, or there's something screwy with your
>> system!
>> What's the version number of the WMP.DLL file you renamed??
>
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMP.DLL 4,874,240 bytes 8/2/2004 12:56:48 AM
> Company Name: Microsoft Corporation
> File Version Description: 9.00.00.3250
> Internal Name: WMPDLL.DLL
> Language: English (United States)
> OLE SelfRegister: Microsoft(R) Windows Media Player
> Original Filename: WMPDLL.DLL
> Product Name: Microsoft(R) Windows Media Player
> Product Version: 9.00.00.3250
>
> I've been assuming all along that there's "something screwy" with my
> system.
>
> Every other update applied without problems. Only this one is giving me
> problems.
>
> - Bill
>
>
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 6:09:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
news:%23dVY1G9qFHA.528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> The only thing I can think of is that you allowed 885492 to install at the
> same time as 828026 - and it will install first (which prevents 828026
> installing, which causes your problem)

Here's what I did based on your shorter instructions:

1. Disable AV
2. Reboot
3. Renamed WMP.DLL as WMPOLD.DLX
4. Rebooted
5. Downloaded 828026 from the Windows Update Catalogue
6. Installed 828026 from downloaded file.
7. Rebooted.
8. Ran Windows Update
9. It tells me I need 885492, so I tell it to go ahead
10. Rebooted
11. Reenable AV

And here's what I did based on your longer instructions:

1. Disable AV
2. Reboot to Safe Mode
3. Deleted WMP.DLL and WMPOLD.DLX (left over from previous attempt)
4. Rebooted to normal mode
6. Downloaded WMP9 from the Windows Update Catalogue
7. Installed WMP9
8. Rebooted
9. Installed 828026 from downloaded file (I still had the file from the
catalogue)
7. Rebooted.
8. Ran Windows Update
9. It tells me I need 885492, so I tell it to go ahead
10. Rebooted
11. Reenable AV

And automatic update just now tells me it needs to apply 828026.

Now, here's a question. In your longer instructions, at step 2, you say:
"2. Search for any and all WMP or WMP.DLL files and delete them (in my
case there was only one)."

I'm thinking perhaps I read that wrong. Where you said "only one," I
thought you were saying to delete any and all WMP.DLL anywhere on the
system. There were (and still are) other files that I find if I search for
WMP*.*. Did you actually mean to kill them ALL, or just all the WMP.DLLs ?

I still have (thanks to Mike) how I fixed this back in May, and I noticed
that one of the things I did then was to delete everything that began with
WMP.

- Bill
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 8:57:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Very strange - 885493 ONLY updates the WMP.DLL file - which is why it's the
only one you need to remove to get 828026 to install......

What are the version numbers and sizes of the following files??
MSDXM.OCX
WMPCORE.DLL (which shouldn't exist, unless you still have WMP7.1 loaded
somehow)


--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

"William J. Leary Jr." <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote in message
news:HYGdnZ2dnZ3o0i3qnZ2dnSBOjN6dnZ2dRVn-z52dnZ0@comcast.com...
> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> news:%23dVY1G9qFHA.528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> The only thing I can think of is that you allowed 885492 to install at
>> the
>> same time as 828026 - and it will install first (which prevents 828026
>> installing, which causes your problem)
>
> Here's what I did based on your shorter instructions:
>
> 1. Disable AV
> 2. Reboot
> 3. Renamed WMP.DLL as WMPOLD.DLX
> 4. Rebooted
> 5. Downloaded 828026 from the Windows Update Catalogue
> 6. Installed 828026 from downloaded file.
> 7. Rebooted.
> 8. Ran Windows Update
> 9. It tells me I need 885492, so I tell it to go ahead
> 10. Rebooted
> 11. Reenable AV
>
> And here's what I did based on your longer instructions:
>
> 1. Disable AV
> 2. Reboot to Safe Mode
> 3. Deleted WMP.DLL and WMPOLD.DLX (left over from previous attempt)
> 4. Rebooted to normal mode
> 6. Downloaded WMP9 from the Windows Update Catalogue
> 7. Installed WMP9
> 8. Rebooted
> 9. Installed 828026 from downloaded file (I still had the file from the
> catalogue)
> 7. Rebooted.
> 8. Ran Windows Update
> 9. It tells me I need 885492, so I tell it to go ahead
> 10. Rebooted
> 11. Reenable AV
>
> And automatic update just now tells me it needs to apply 828026.
>
> Now, here's a question. In your longer instructions, at step 2, you say:
> "2. Search for any and all WMP or WMP.DLL files and delete them (in my
> case there was only one)."
>
> I'm thinking perhaps I read that wrong. Where you said "only one," I
> thought you were saying to delete any and all WMP.DLL anywhere on the
> system. There were (and still are) other files that I find if I search
> for
> WMP*.*. Did you actually mean to kill them ALL, or just all the WMP.DLLs
> ?
>
> I still have (thanks to Mike) how I fixed this back in May, and I noticed
> that one of the things I did then was to delete everything that began with
> WMP.
>
> - Bill
>
>
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 8:57:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
news:%23zFn8k%23qFHA.2996@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Very strange - 885493 ONLY updates the WMP.DLL file - which is why it's
the
> only one you need to remove to get 828026 to install......

Can I infer from this that the procedures I showed you seem to be correct?

> What are the version numbers and sizes of the following files??
> MSDXM.OCX

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDM.OCX 845,072 bytes Sept. 24, 2003 5:18:36 PM Vers:
6.4.07.1128

> WMPCORE.DLL (which shouldn't exist, unless you still have WMP7.1 loaded
> somehow)

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMPCORE.DLL 20,480 bytes Dec. 11, 2002, 3:09:24 PM Vers:
9.00.00.2980

- Bill
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 11:36:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Ah - so WMPCORE.WLL is still present!...... Oh :( 
Seems that it's a stub left behind by the upgrade to WMP9 (It's also present
on my test system - same version)

It would seem that the patch is properly installed, but that the flag for it
is somehow mis-set in the registry.
It may be worth trying to re-register a couple of the DLL's
try these commands

regsvr32 wmp.dll
regsvr32 wmpcore.dll

Then try Windows Updates again
If it still wants to install 828026, open regedit, and look in
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows Media Player
and see whether there's an entry there for both 828026, and for 885492
If not, then we may be on the right track.



--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

"William J. Leary Jr." <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote in message
news:D Iedne9iCfCEcozeRVn-sQ@comcast.com...
> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> news:%23zFn8k%23qFHA.2996@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Very strange - 885493 ONLY updates the WMP.DLL file - which is why it's
> the
>> only one you need to remove to get 828026 to install......
>
> Can I infer from this that the procedures I showed you seem to be correct?
>
>> What are the version numbers and sizes of the following files??
>> MSDXM.OCX
>
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDM.OCX 845,072 bytes Sept. 24, 2003 5:18:36 PM Vers:
> 6.4.07.1128
>
>> WMPCORE.DLL (which shouldn't exist, unless you still have WMP7.1 loaded
>> somehow)
>
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMPCORE.DLL 20,480 bytes Dec. 11, 2002, 3:09:24 PM Vers:
> 9.00.00.2980
>
> - Bill
>
>
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 11:36:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
news:uIRDn9$qFHA.1032@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Ah - so WMPCORE.WLL is still present!...... Oh :( 
> Seems that it's a stub left behind by the upgrade to WMP9 (It's also
present
> on my test system - same version)
>
> It would seem that the patch is properly installed, but that the flag for
it
> is somehow mis-set in the registry.
> It may be worth trying to re-register a couple of the DLL's
> try these commands
>
> regsvr32 wmp.dll
> regsvr32 wmpcore.dll
>
> Then try Windows Updates again
> If it still wants to install 828026, open regedit, and look in
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows Media Player
> and see whether there's an entry there for both 828026, and for 885492
> If not, then we may be on the right track.

I've just checked (before issuing the above two commands) and find entries
for wm380567, wm828026 and wm885492. Each of them has (among lots of other
things) a boolean labeled "IsInstalled" and they're all set to 0x00000001.

Now to try the regsvr32 commands...

Bad command or file name.

OK, I had to unset the Hidden and System attributes.

Both commands report they succeded.

The three keys I mentioned are still there.

I have to wait for the automatic one to come around to see if it worked.
The manual one (Start -> Windows Update) wasn't seeing it anyway (and still
doesn't).

- Bill
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 3:20:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Ahhhh - that's a totally different thing altogether!!
all that means is that the AU engine is stuck!
now we at least know where to look......
this could take a while - I'm going to try and replicate the problem as far
as I can.....
back in the morning!


--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

"William J. Leary Jr." <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote in message
news:_86dnT5Yp94cho_eRVn-1Q@comcast.com...
> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> news:uIRDn9$qFHA.1032@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Ah - so WMPCORE.WLL is still present!...... Oh :( 
>> Seems that it's a stub left behind by the upgrade to WMP9 (It's also
> present
>> on my test system - same version)
>>
>> It would seem that the patch is properly installed, but that the flag for
> it
>> is somehow mis-set in the registry.
>> It may be worth trying to re-register a couple of the DLL's
>> try these commands
>>
>> regsvr32 wmp.dll
>> regsvr32 wmpcore.dll
>>
>> Then try Windows Updates again
>> If it still wants to install 828026, open regedit, and look in
>> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows Media Player
>> and see whether there's an entry there for both 828026, and for 885492
>> If not, then we may be on the right track.
>
> I've just checked (before issuing the above two commands) and find entries
> for wm380567, wm828026 and wm885492. Each of them has (among lots of
> other
> things) a boolean labeled "IsInstalled" and they're all set to 0x00000001.
>
> Now to try the regsvr32 commands...
>
> Bad command or file name.
>
> OK, I had to unset the Hidden and System attributes.
>
> Both commands report they succeded.
>
> The three keys I mentioned are still there.
>
> I have to wait for the automatic one to come around to see if it worked.
> The manual one (Start -> Windows Update) wasn't seeing it anyway (and
> still
> doesn't).
>
> - Bill
>
>
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 3:20:14 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
news:%23kvXp6BrFHA.916@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Ahhhh - that's a totally different thing altogether!!
> all that means is that the AU engine is stuck!
> now we at least know where to look......
> this could take a while - I'm going to try and replicate the problem as
far
> as I can.....
> back in the morning!

I'm pleased you've got another explaination because automatic WU just came
up again.

Note that the solution I used back in May was to uninstall WMP9, then dig
through the system and registry and kill anything that appeared in any way
related to any version of Media Player. I can do that again, but since you
seem interested in the problem (and I may miss and kill something I
shouldn't) I'll wait to see what you've got next.

Thanks for the effort.

- Bill
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 2:55:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

do you have AU set to automatically download - or just to notify?


--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

"William J. Leary Jr." <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote in message
news:Ya-dnYjsZ8ZQw4_eRVn-tg@comcast.com...
> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> news:%23kvXp6BrFHA.916@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Ahhhh - that's a totally different thing altogether!!
>> all that means is that the AU engine is stuck!
>> now we at least know where to look......
>> this could take a while - I'm going to try and replicate the problem as
> far
>> as I can.....
>> back in the morning!
>
> I'm pleased you've got another explaination because automatic WU just came
> up again.
>
> Note that the solution I used back in May was to uninstall WMP9, then dig
> through the system and registry and kill anything that appeared in any way
> related to any version of Media Player. I can do that again, but since
> you
> seem interested in the problem (and I may miss and kill something I
> shouldn't) I'll wait to see what you've got next.
>
> Thanks for the effort.
>
> - Bill
>
>
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 2:55:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
news:emldU$HrFHA.3720@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> do you have AU set to automatically download - or just to notify?

Just notify.

It came up again last last night. I've been telling it to notify me again
in four hours.

Now, in the past, when I got the notifications, I often told it to tell me
again later (four hours or even "Tomorrow"), then when I finished whatever I
was doing I'd run the manual (Start -> Windows Update) and do whatever it
was, and I'd never hear from the automatic one again on that particular
update.

When you said "stuck" I got to wondering if perhaps that wasn't working for
some reason this time. That is, one of the incantations you gave me DID
work, but since I'd kept telling it to delay, it kept coming up. So I told
it to go ahead and do the update yet again last night. I suppose I'll know
that did it (perhaps the reg---32 helped?) if it hasn't come up again by
tomorrow.

- Bill
April 19, 2006 9:01:24 AM

Sorry to drag this thread back up again, but I thought it might be useful to give my solution to this problem.

I installed WMP 9 over the top of WMP 7.1, as directed by Windows Update, and then experienced the problem being discussed in this thread. So I then downloaded the update for KB828026 for WMP 9 on WinMe using Windows Update Catalog, and used the /c installation switch, as described in the KB article, to inspect its contents. This update is a bizarre hybrid of files which belong to WMP versions 6.4, 7.1 and 9. In particular, the following files are supplied by the update:

msdxm.ocx, version 6.4.7.1128
wmp.dll, version 9.0.0.3075
wmpcore.dll, version 7.10.0.3075

whereas the files already sitting in my WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder are

msdxm.ocx, version 6.4.7.1128
wmp.dll, version 9.0.0.3344
wmpcore.dll, version 9.0.0.2980

So my versions of wmp.dll and wmpcore.dll are already newer than the versions offered by the update, which presumably implies that the update was superceded by some other WMP 9 update that I had (previously or subsequently) installed using Windows Update. Thus it seems that Windows Update is misreporting KB828026 as a required update. Inspecting one of the installation info files (the one for WMP 9, namely "wm828026Me9.inf") that comes with the update, we see that it wishes to modify some registry entries. However, a quick check of the registry shows that these entries are /not/ being modified when the update is actually installed. In fact, the registry entries currently found on the system match those requested by the info file for WMP 7.1, namely "wm828026Me7.inf". Hence the fault lies not with Windows Update but with a dodgy installation routine which uses the wrong inf file. Manually applying the registry entries found in the WMP 9 inf file fixed the problem for me. These entries are as follows. (Note: be sure to back up your registry before you make manual changes.)

Key:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows Media Player\wm828026

Value:
PlayerVersion

Data:
9

(the original data was "7.1")


Modifying the above entry is enough to fix the problem.


[Note that the WMP 9 inf file wants to apply the following entry, too:

Key:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\MicrosoftUpdates\Windows Media Player\wm828026\FileList\File2

Value:
Version

Data:
9.0.0.3075

This key is the metadata for the wmpcore.dll file. However, I did /not/ apply this entry manually, since the actual entry on my system is "7.1.0.3075" (supplied by the WMP 7.1 inf file) which matches the (unused) version of the wmpcore.dll file supplied by the update [almost? 1 vs 10?]. Further, the version "9.0.0.3075" suggested by the WMP 9 inf file doesn't actually exist: the version of wmpcore.dll on my system is 9.0.0.2980. Moreover, the KB article implies that wmpcore is not actually part of the update for WMP 9 on WinMe; look at the file version table it displays for Windows Media Player 7.1 and 9 for WinMe. Personally, I don't think it would matter what data you actually gave for this key, or even if you deleted the key altogether; I suspect its only use is for uninstalling the update, but you /can't/ "formally" uninstall this update on WinMe anyway (although apparently you can on WinXP).]

Basically, it looks to me as if Microsoft's attempt to mix together files and data for WMP 7.1 and WMP 9 has resulted in a cock-up. It is somewhat typical of M$ that they haven't bothered to address this problem themselves, despite the large number of people experiencing it, and yet it was diagnosed in about 10 minutes...

Best wishes,
Anton P.
!