Repeated 828026

I had a total failure on my C: drive a week or so back. I've reloaded ME
and all done all the updates. But KB828026 keeps coming up every day via
automatic update. An oddity is that, if I open Windows Update directly, IT
reports no updates available. If I look up the log there it tells me the
828026 has been successfully applied. I googled this news group and found a
thread a while ago on this issue, and tried some of the suggestions there,
without success. Is there a final, definitive way to stop this one? At
this point, I'm considering just shutting off WU and running the manually
when I do weekly maintenance.

- Bill

"William J. Leary Jr." wrote:
>I had a total failure on my C: drive a week or so back. I've reloaded ME
> and all done all the updates. But KB828026 keeps coming up every day via
> automatic update. An oddity is that, if I open Windows Update directly, IT
> reports no updates available. If I look up the log there it tells me the
> 828026 has been successfully applied. I googled this news group and found a
> thread a while ago on this issue, and tried some of the suggestions there,
> without success. Is there a final, definitive way to stop this one? At
> this point, I'm considering just shutting off WU and running the manually
> when I do weekly maintenance.

While I'm not a Windows Update expert, you may try this.
Remove the listed KB from your Add/Remove Programs List.
Reboot, then apply the update manually.
Manual download here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=e864688c-b176-4d3c-be67-211de4bf9bd0&displaylang=en

Silj

--
siljaline

MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
Security Tools Updates
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31

(Reply to group, as return address
is invalid - that we may all benefit)

"siljaline" <siljaline@nospam.com> wrote in message
> "William J. Leary Jr." wrote:
> >I had a total failure on my C: drive a week or so back. I've reloaded ME
> > and all done all the updates. But KB828026 keeps coming up every day
via
> > automatic update. An oddity is that, if I open Windows Update directly,
IT
> > ((..omitted..))
>
> While I'm not a Windows Update expert, you may try this.
> Remove the listed KB from your Add/Remove Programs List.
> Reboot, then apply the update manually.
> Manual download here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=e864688c-b176-4d3c-be67-211de4bf9bd0&displaylang=en

That was one of the suggestions I saw, and I guess it worked for most
people. But KB828026 (or any variant there of) doesn't appear in my
add/remove program list.

- Bill

Bill,

See http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/828026.htm for a detailed procedure for
how to solve this problem.

This is a copy of my reply posted on 10 May when you last asked this
question.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
> See http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/828026.htm for a detailed procedure for
> how to solve this problem.
>
> This is a copy of my reply posted on 10 May when you last asked this
> question.

Yes, and it didn't work for me. Even when I skipped step 3 because it
didn't appear in add/remove.

Thanks for giving me the date. I *thought* I'd had this problem before, but
couldn't find either notes here or the message trail in Google. I see that
I used the wrong date range in my search. I thought this had happened late
2004 rather than in May of 2005.

Now that I've got the message trail, I can see what I did then that finally
worked. And some suggestions in the trail on some alternate ideas, which I
didn't use since I'd already fixed it.

Thanks again.

- Bill

1. Boot into Safe Mode.
2. Search for any and all WMP or WMP.DLL files and delete them (in my
case there was only one).
3. Re-boot into Normal Mode.
4. Re-download WMP9 and then KB828026.
5. Re-boot.
6. Check to see if update was offered again (it wasn't).
Hope this helps anyone with a similar problem.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"William J. Leary Jr." <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote in message
>I had a total failure on my C: drive a week or so back. I've reloaded ME
> and all done all the updates. But KB828026 keeps coming up every day via
> automatic update. An oddity is that, if I open Windows Update directly,
> IT
> reports no updates available. If I look up the log there it tells me the
> 828026 has been successfully applied. I googled this news group and found
> thread a while ago on this issue, and tried some of the suggestions there,
> without success. Is there a final, definitive way to stop this one? At
> this point, I'm considering just shutting off WU and running the manually
> when I do weekly maintenance.
>
> - Bill

....actually, there is a simpler method in ME - which I used the other day.
Simply find and rename the WMP.DLL file, install 828026, and then go back to
WinUpdates, and reinstall the other broken update - 885492

HTH

--

> ...actually, there is a simpler method in ME - which I used the other day.
> Simply find and rename the WMP.DLL file, install 828026, and then go back
> WinUpdates, and reinstall the other broken update - 885492

Ah! I wondered if tinkering with that file might do it. I downloaded an
entry from MS about the update, and one of the things it has is a summary of
the dates and sizes these files should end up at after the udpate. My
WMP.DLL is too old and too small.

Mike gave me the date of when I had this problem before, and thus I could
google how I solved it before. But this is much easier. I'll try this
first. Thanks.

- Bill

Bill
Thjis makes me worry!! - why do you need to repeat this procedure?? what
have you done to your system since the original fix??

--

> Thjis makes me worry!! - why do you need to repeat this procedure?? what
> have you done to your system since the original fix??

No worry: From my original message:

Name: "William J. Leary Jr." Bill_Leary@msn.com
Group: microsoft.public.windowsme.general
Date: Friday, August 26, 2005 8:37 PM
> I had a total failure on my C: drive a week or so back. I've reloaded
> ME and all done all the updates. But KB828026 keeps coming up
> every day via automatic update.

- Bill

> ...actually, there is a simpler method in ME - which I used the other day.
> Simply find and rename the WMP.DLL file, install 828026, and then go back
> WinUpdates, and reinstall the other broken update - 885492

Follow up. The above didn't work. WU just ran and it tells me I need this
update... again.

I'll try the longer one you preceded this with.

Failing that, I'll try the procedure I used back in May.

- Bill

Either you renamed the wrong file, or there's something screwy with your
system!
What's the version number of the WMP.DLL file you renamed??

--

> Either you renamed the wrong file, or there's something screwy with your
> system!
> What's the version number of the WMP.DLL file you renamed??

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMP.DLL 4,874,240 bytes 8/2/2004 12:56:48 AM
Company Name: Microsoft Corporation
File Version Description: 9.00.00.3250
Internal Name: WMPDLL.DLL
Language: English (United States)
OLE SelfRegister: Microsoft(R) Windows Media Player
Original Filename: WMPDLL.DLL
Product Name: Microsoft(R) Windows Media Player
Product Version: 9.00.00.3250

I've been assuming all along that there's "something screwy" with my system.

Every other update applied without problems. Only this one is giving me
problems.

- Bill

I don't understand what is happening here at all as Bill shouldn't have a
copy of wmp.dll after having deleted it as part of the method set out at
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/828026.htm which he followed earlier.

Of course, 828026 then needs to be installed after deleting wmp.dll.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:

> Either you renamed the wrong file, or there's something screwy with
> your system!
> What's the version number of the WMP.DLL file you renamed??

Bill,

What antivirus application do you use and do you have it running whilst
installing patches from the Windows Update site?
--

> What antivirus application do you use and do you have it running whilst
> installing patches from the Windows Update site?

Nortons 2005. I usually don't bother to turn it off and usually don't have
problems.

BUT...

When this thing came up the second time, the first thing that came to mind
was the AV, so I did turn it off for the second attempt. And I've turned it
off for all of these various clean up attempts as well. And by "turn off" I
mean I went into MSCONFIG and unchecked everything having anything to do
with it then verified by Process Explorer that it was really not running at
all.

- Bill

> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
> > What antivirus application do you use and do you have it running whilst
> > installing patches from the Windows Update site?
>
> Nortons 2005. I usually don't bother to turn it off and usually don't
have
> problems.
>
> BUT...
>
> When this thing came up the second time, the first thing that came to mind
> was the AV, so I did turn it off for the second attempt. And I've turned
it
> off for all of these various clean up attempts as well. And by "turn off"
> mean I went into MSCONFIG and unchecked everything having anything to do
> with it then verified by Process Explorer that it was really not running
at
> all.

I just remembered something else about this, and I've just checked my notes
(yeah, I keep notes... habit from work).

When I was rebuilding the system, I didn't install Nortons until AFTER I'd
done all the Windows Updates. And it was doing repeated 828025's then too.
I'd installed all the updates, and noticed that 828025 was repeating. I
thought I'd remembered that this had happened before, so I went ahead an
installed my other software, figuring I'd dig out my notes from the last
time and use them to fix it. Then I couldn't find the notes. The point
being, I was getting repeats before I'd even installed NAV.

- Bill

The only thing I can think of is that you allowed 885492 to install at the
same time as 828026 - and it will install first (which prevents 828026
installing, which causes your problem)

--

> The only thing I can think of is that you allowed 885492 to install at the
> same time as 828026 - and it will install first (which prevents 828026
> installing, which causes your problem)

Here's what I did based on your shorter instructions:

1. Disable AV
2. Reboot
3. Renamed WMP.DLL as WMPOLD.DLX
4. Rebooted
5. Downloaded 828026 from the Windows Update Catalogue
6. Installed 828026 from downloaded file.
7. Rebooted.
8. Ran Windows Update
9. It tells me I need 885492, so I tell it to go ahead
10. Rebooted
11. Reenable AV

And here's what I did based on your longer instructions:

1. Disable AV
2. Reboot to Safe Mode
3. Deleted WMP.DLL and WMPOLD.DLX (left over from previous attempt)
4. Rebooted to normal mode
6. Downloaded WMP9 from the Windows Update Catalogue
7. Installed WMP9
8. Rebooted
9. Installed 828026 from downloaded file (I still had the file from the
catalogue)
7. Rebooted.
8. Ran Windows Update
9. It tells me I need 885492, so I tell it to go ahead
10. Rebooted
11. Reenable AV

And automatic update just now tells me it needs to apply 828026.

Now, here's a question. In your longer instructions, at step 2, you say:
"2. Search for any and all WMP or WMP.DLL files and delete them (in my
case there was only one)."

I'm thinking perhaps I read that wrong. Where you said "only one," I
thought you were saying to delete any and all WMP.DLL anywhere on the
system. There were (and still are) other files that I find if I search for
WMP*.*. Did you actually mean to kill them ALL, or just all the WMP.DLLs ?

I still have (thanks to Mike) how I fixed this back in May, and I noticed
that one of the things I did then was to delete everything that began with
WMP.

- Bill

Very strange - 885493 ONLY updates the WMP.DLL file - which is why it's the
only one you need to remove to get 828026 to install......

What are the version numbers and sizes of the following files??
MSDXM.OCX
WMPCORE.DLL (which shouldn't exist, unless you still have WMP7.1 loaded
somehow)

--

> Very strange - 885493 ONLY updates the WMP.DLL file - which is why it's
the
> only one you need to remove to get 828026 to install......

Can I infer from this that the procedures I showed you seem to be correct?

> What are the version numbers and sizes of the following files??
> MSDXM.OCX

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDM.OCX 845,072 bytes Sept. 24, 2003 5:18:36 PM Vers:
6.4.07.1128

> WMPCORE.DLL (which shouldn't exist, unless you still have WMP7.1 loaded
> somehow)

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMPCORE.DLL 20,480 bytes Dec. 11, 2002, 3:09:24 PM Vers:
9.00.00.2980

- Bill

Ah - so WMPCORE.WLL is still present!...... Oh :(
Seems that it's a stub left behind by the upgrade to WMP9 (It's also present
on my test system - same version)

It would seem that the patch is properly installed, but that the flag for it
is somehow mis-set in the registry.
It may be worth trying to re-register a couple of the DLL's
try these commands

regsvr32 wmp.dll
regsvr32 wmpcore.dll

Then try Windows Updates again
If it still wants to install 828026, open regedit, and look in
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows Media Player
and see whether there's an entry there for both 828026, and for 885492
If not, then we may be on the right track.

--

> Ah - so WMPCORE.WLL is still present!...... Oh :(
> Seems that it's a stub left behind by the upgrade to WMP9 (It's also
present
> on my test system - same version)
>
> It would seem that the patch is properly installed, but that the flag for
it
> is somehow mis-set in the registry.
> It may be worth trying to re-register a couple of the DLL's
> try these commands
>
> regsvr32 wmp.dll
> regsvr32 wmpcore.dll
>
> Then try Windows Updates again
> If it still wants to install 828026, open regedit, and look in
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows Media Player
> and see whether there's an entry there for both 828026, and for 885492
> If not, then we may be on the right track.

I've just checked (before issuing the above two commands) and find entries
for wm380567, wm828026 and wm885492. Each of them has (among lots of other
things) a boolean labeled "IsInstalled" and they're all set to 0x00000001.

Now to try the regsvr32 commands...

Bad command or file name.

OK, I had to unset the Hidden and System attributes.

Both commands report they succeded.

The three keys I mentioned are still there.

I have to wait for the automatic one to come around to see if it worked.
The manual one (Start -> Windows Update) wasn't seeing it anyway (and still
doesn't).

- Bill

Ahhhh - that's a totally different thing altogether!!
all that means is that the AU engine is stuck!
now we at least know where to look......
this could take a while - I'm going to try and replicate the problem as far
as I can.....
back in the morning!

--

> Ahhhh - that's a totally different thing altogether!!
> all that means is that the AU engine is stuck!
> now we at least know where to look......
> this could take a while - I'm going to try and replicate the problem as
far
> as I can.....
> back in the morning!

I'm pleased you've got another explaination because automatic WU just came
up again.

Note that the solution I used back in May was to uninstall WMP9, then dig
through the system and registry and kill anything that appeared in any way
related to any version of Media Player. I can do that again, but since you
seem interested in the problem (and I may miss and kill something I
shouldn't) I'll wait to see what you've got next.

Thanks for the effort.

- Bill