CD-RW Concerns

Hello...

I don't know if this is a WindowsMe thing or what but since I
reinstalled that operating system everything I put onto a CD-RW
becomes "read only" in the property attributes and it ignores all
atempts to remove that particular attribute...

I can take files off the CD and then change the attribute but I cannot
change the properties of anything that's on the CD-RW itself.

I want to be able to store these files without them being "read only".
Any hints, tips, suggestions ??......

...Thanks!

Re-install the CD Writing Software package that should have been bundled
with your CD writer, e.g. Nero, Roxio, etc., etc., You probably need to use
the 'Packet Writing' or 'UDF' utility for your requirements.

WinMe itself, does not support CD writing - you MUST use 3rd party software.

Mart

"Young Pimp of Thai Hooker" <nerf@football4.less> wrote in message
> Hello...
>
> I don't know if this is a WindowsMe thing or what but since I
> reinstalled that operating system everything I put onto a CD-RW
> becomes "read only" in the property attributes and it ignores all
> atempts to remove that particular attribute...
>
> I can take files off the CD and then change the attribute but I cannot
> change the properties of anything that's on the CD-RW itself.
>
> I want to be able to store these files without them being "read only".
> Any hints, tips, suggestions ??......
>
> ...Thanks!

What format are you using to write your files to CDRW? The CD iso 9660
format has no knowledge of file attributes and as part of that standard
all files are therefore treated as being read only when restored from a CD
written using that format, This isn't due to a problem with either the
operating system, the CD writing software or the hardware but rather part
of the ISO 9660 standard.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

> What format are you using to write your files to CDRW? The CD iso
> 9660 format has no knowledge of file attributes and as part of that
> standard all files are therefore treated as being read only when
> restored from a CD written using that format, This isn't due to a
> problem with either the operating system, the CD writing software or
> the hardware but rather part of the ISO 9660 standard.
>
>> Hello...
>>
>> I don't know if this is a WindowsMe thing or what but since I
>> reinstalled that operating system everything I put onto a CD-RW
>> becomes "read only" in the property attributes and it ignores all
>> atempts to remove that particular attribute...
>>
>> I can take files off the CD and then change the attribute but I
>> cannot change the properties of anything that's on the CD-RW itself.
>>
>> I want to be able to store these files without them being "read
>> only". Any hints, tips, suggestions ??......
>>
>> ...Thanks!

Zip Drives or Jump Drives won't have a problem like this, would they?

One person I knew used to Zip up all his files first before burning them to CD.
After he copied them back to the hard drive, he would unzip them and the files
would retain their attributes. However, Zip programs have a file name length
limit that may be inappropriate to what you are intending to do.
This is different than using a Zip Drive though.

My best suggestion is to use an imaging software program (like Drive Image,
which can no longer be found on store shelves) that doesn't choke on long file
names...if you are backing up humongous amounts of files.

Cymbal Man Freq. <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote:

> Zip Drives or Jump Drives won't have a problem like this, would they?

No since they will be using the FAT filing system rather than CDFS.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 09:32:53 +0100, "Mike M"
<No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:

Unknown.

Where can I find out this information?? Is it something (like
software) which can be downloaded/replaced/upgraded, or more a
hardware thing -- this CD iso 9660 format??

>What format are you using to write your files to CDRW? The CD iso 9660
>format has no knowledge of file attributes and as part of that standard
>all files are therefore

Young Pimp of Thai Hooker <nerf@football4.less> wrote:

> Unknown.
>
> Where can I find out this information?? Is it something (like
> software) which can be downloaded/replaced/upgraded, or more a
> hardware thing -- this CD iso 9660 format??

What more do you want to know? The ISO9660 standard does not support file
attributes. If you want to know more, not that it will help you since you
will still have to use ATTRIB to change the attributes to meet your
requirements, try using Google. ISO = International Standards
Organisation. ISO 9660 is an international standard and underlies the
writing of CDs. In many cases an extended version of the standard is
used, known as Joliet, and this extends the standard to allow lower case
file names, file names with more than 32 characters, long paths of more
than 255 characters and depths of more than 8 directories.

If you wish to write files to a CD and for them to retain their file
attributes and file names > 64 characters use the UDF filing system such
as is commonly used by packet writing software such as Ahead's InCD and
Roxio's DirectCD. One small problem is that packet written CDs are
somewhat more "fragile" that those written using ISO9660+Joliet. By
fragile I mean not physically fragile but the data on the disk can often
only be read on the same hardware as was used to write the disk with the
result that a disk written on one PC may not be readable on another.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

If you would be kind enough to tell us what software you're using to burn
your CDs with, all the guess answers would go away.

> On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 09:32:53 +0100, "Mike M"
> <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:
>
> Unknown.
>
> Where can I find out this information?? Is it something (like
> software) which can be downloaded/replaced/upgraded, or more a
> hardware thing -- this CD iso 9660 format??
>

> >What format are you using to write your files to CDRW? The CD iso 9660
> >format has no knowledge of file attributes and as part of that standard
> >all files are therefore

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 00:28:43 +0100, "Mike M"
<No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:

I didn't expect the Spanish Inquision. . .

>What more do you want to know? The ISO9660 standard does not support file
>attributes. If you want to know more, not that it will help you since you
>will still have to use ATTRIB to change the attributes to meet your
>requirements, try using Google. ISO = International Standards
>Organisation. ISO 9660 is an international standard and underlies the
>writing of CDs. In many cases an extended version of the standard is
>used, known as Joliet, and this extends the standard to allow lower case
>file names, file names with more than 32 characters, long paths of more
>than 255 characters and depths of more than 8 directories.
>
>If you wish to write files to a CD and for them to retain their file
>attributes and file names > 64 characters use the UDF filing system such
>as is commonly used by packet writing software such as Ahead's InCD and
>Roxio's DirectCD. One small problem is that packet written CDs are
>somewhat more "fragile" that those written using ISO9660+Joliet. By
>fragile I mean not physically fragile but the data on the disk can often
>only be read on the same hardware as was used to write the disk with the
>result that a disk written on one PC may not be readable on another.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

Young Pimp of Thai Hooker wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 00:28:43 +0100, "Mike M"
> <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:
>

> I didn't expect the Spanish Inquision. . .
>

>>What more do you want to know? The ISO9660 standard does not support file
>>attributes. If you want to know more, not that it will help you since you
>>will still have to use ATTRIB to change the attributes to meet your
>>requirements, try using Google. ISO = International Standards
>>Organisation. ISO 9660 is an international standard and underlies the
>>writing of CDs. In many cases an extended version of the standard is
>>used, known as Joliet, and this extends the standard to allow lower case
>>file names, file names with more than 32 characters, long paths of more
>>than 255 characters and depths of more than 8 directories.
>>
>>If you wish to write files to a CD and for them to retain their file
>>attributes and file names > 64 characters use the UDF filing system such
>>as is commonly used by packet writing software such as Ahead's InCD and
>>Roxio's DirectCD. One small problem is that packet written CDs are
>>somewhat more "fragile" that those written using ISO9660+Joliet. By
>>fragile I mean not physically fragile but the data on the disk can often
>>only be read on the same hardware as was used to write the disk with the
>>result that a disk written on one PC may not be readable on another.

Shane

Our weapons are fear, and surprise.

Rick T wrote:
> Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.
>

> Young Pimp of Thai Hooker wrote:
>> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 00:28:43 +0100, "Mike M"
>> <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:
>>

>> I didn't expect the Spanish Inquision. . .
>>

>>> What more do you want to know? The ISO9660 standard does not
>>> support file attributes. If you want to know more, not that it
>>> will help you since you will still have to use ATTRIB to change the
>>> attributes to meet your requirements, try using Google. ISO =
>>> International Standards Organisation. ISO 9660 is an international
>>> standard and underlies the writing of CDs. In many cases an
>>> extended version of the standard is used, known as Joliet, and this
>>> extends the standard to allow lower case file names, file names
>>> with more than 32 characters, long paths of more than 255
>>> characters and depths of more than 8 directories. If you wish to write
>>> files to a CD and for them to retain their file
>>> attributes and file names > 64 characters use the UDF filing system
>>> such as is commonly used by packet writing software such as Ahead's
>>> InCD and Roxio's DirectCD. One small problem is that packet
>>> written CDs are somewhat more "fragile" that those written using
>>> ISO9660+Joliet. By fragile I mean not physically fragile but the
>>> data on the disk can often only be read on the same hardware as was
>>> used to write the disk with the result that a disk written on one
>>> PC may not be readable on another.

Our weapons are Fear, Surprise, and......

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Our weapons are fear, and surprise.
>

> Rick T wrote:
>> Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.
>>

>> Young Pimp of Thai Hooker wrote:
>>> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 00:28:43 +0100, "Mike M"
>>> <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:
>>>

>>> I didn't expect the Spanish Inquision. . .

Figgs <g>
Joan

Joan Archer <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote:

> Figgs <g>

Syrup of?
--
Mike

ROFL
I'm in trouble when she sees this <g>
Joan

Mike M wrote:
> Joan Archer <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote:
>
>> Figgs <g>
>
> Syrup of?

Joan Archer <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote:

> ROFL
> I'm in trouble when she sees this <g>

You and me both. :)
--
Mike

Heather

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

ROFL!! I darn near added myself to Noel's List. Glad to see you two think
the same!!

Cheers.......Figgs :cool:))

> Joan Archer <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote:
>
> > ROFL
> > I'm in trouble when she sees this <g>
>
> You and me both. :)
> --
> Mike

Heather

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

Yep......that you are. And here I had a present ready to mail to you....but
no way, Jose. (VBG)

Figgs
"Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> ROFL
> I'm in trouble when she sees this <g>
> Joan
>

> Mike M wrote:
> > Joan Archer <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Figgs <g>
> >
> > Syrup of?

I cannot confirm or deny my intentions - I plead the 5th!
<g>

--

"Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> ROFL!! I darn near added myself to Noel's List. Glad to see you two
> think
> the same!!
>
> Cheers.......Figgs :cool:))
>
> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
>> Joan Archer <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote:
>>
>> > ROFL
>> > I'm in trouble when she sees this <g>
>>
>> You and me both. :)
>> --
>> Mike

Heather

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

Hmmm, have a neat picture of you.....just might post it. (snicker) Sent to
me by my ex-resident graphic designer.....lol.

XX Figgs

> I cannot confirm or deny my intentions - I plead the 5th!
> <g>
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > ROFL!! I darn near added myself to Noel's List. Glad to see you two
> > think
> > the same!!
> >
> > Cheers.......Figgs :cool:))
> >
> > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message

> >> You and me both. :)
> >> --
> >> Mike

Which one was that (picture, I mean!)?
<g>

--

> Hmmm, have a neat picture of you.....just might post it. (snicker) Sent
> me by my ex-resident graphic designer.....lol.
>
> XX Figgs
>
> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>> I cannot confirm or deny my intentions - I plead the 5th!
>> <g>
>>
>> --
>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>
>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>
>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>>
>> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> > ROFL!! I darn near added myself to Noel's List. Glad to see you two
>> > think
>> > the same!!
>> >
>> > Cheers.......Figgs :cool:))
>> >
>> > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message

Heather

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

Ummm, how shall I put this. It was your birthday?? You prefer wearing the
bare (choke) minimum of clothing? Heh heh.

XX Figgs

> Which one was that (picture, I mean!)?
> <g>
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > Hmmm, have a neat picture of you.....just might post it. (snicker)
Sent
> > me by my ex-resident graphic designer.....lol.
> >
> > XX Figgs
> >
> > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> >> I cannot confirm or deny my intentions - I plead the 5th!
> >> <g>
> >>
> >> --
> >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> >>
> >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> >>
> >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
> >>
> >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
NG's

> >> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

I didn't know you were Greek, Figgs!!
(as in ..bearing gifts....)

--

> Yep......that you are. And here I had a present ready to mail to
> you....but
> no way, Jose. (VBG)
>
> Figgs
> "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> ROFL
>> I'm in trouble when she sees this <g>
>> Joan
>>

>> Mike M wrote:

>> > Syrup of?

You've been peeking again, Figgs! - I've warned you about that before!
:)