CD-RW Concerns

Hello...

I don't know if this is a WindowsMe thing or what but since I
reinstalled that operating system everything I put onto a CD-RW
becomes "read only" in the property attributes and it ignores all
atempts to remove that particular attribute...

I can take files off the CD and then change the attribute but I cannot
change the properties of anything that's on the CD-RW itself.

I want to be able to store these files without them being "read only".
Any hints, tips, suggestions ??......

...Thanks!
30 answers Last reply
More about concerns

    Re-install the CD Writing Software package that should have been bundled
    with your CD writer, e.g. Nero, Roxio, etc., etc., You probably need to use
    the 'Packet Writing' or 'UDF' utility for your requirements.

    WinMe itself, does not support CD writing - you MUST use 3rd party software.

    Mart

    "Young Pimp of Thai Hooker" <nerf@football4.less> wrote in message
    > Hello...
    >
    > I don't know if this is a WindowsMe thing or what but since I
    > reinstalled that operating system everything I put onto a CD-RW
    > becomes "read only" in the property attributes and it ignores all
    > atempts to remove that particular attribute...
    >
    > I can take files off the CD and then change the attribute but I cannot
    > change the properties of anything that's on the CD-RW itself.
    >
    > I want to be able to store these files without them being "read only".
    > Any hints, tips, suggestions ??......
    >
    > ...Thanks!

    What format are you using to write your files to CDRW? The CD iso 9660
    format has no knowledge of file attributes and as part of that standard
    all files are therefore treated as being read only when restored from a CD
    written using that format, This isn't due to a problem with either the
    operating system, the CD writing software or the hardware but rather part
    of the ISO 9660 standard.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    > What format are you using to write your files to CDRW? The CD iso
    > 9660 format has no knowledge of file attributes and as part of that
    > standard all files are therefore treated as being read only when
    > restored from a CD written using that format, This isn't due to a
    > problem with either the operating system, the CD writing software or
    > the hardware but rather part of the ISO 9660 standard.
    >
    >> Hello...
    >>
    >> I don't know if this is a WindowsMe thing or what but since I
    >> reinstalled that operating system everything I put onto a CD-RW
    >> becomes "read only" in the property attributes and it ignores all
    >> atempts to remove that particular attribute...
    >>
    >> I can take files off the CD and then change the attribute but I
    >> cannot change the properties of anything that's on the CD-RW itself.
    >>
    >> I want to be able to store these files without them being "read
    >> only". Any hints, tips, suggestions ??......
    >>
    >> ...Thanks!

    Zip Drives or Jump Drives won't have a problem like this, would they?

    One person I knew used to Zip up all his files first before burning them to CD.
    After he copied them back to the hard drive, he would unzip them and the files
    would retain their attributes. However, Zip programs have a file name length
    limit that may be inappropriate to what you are intending to do.
    This is different than using a Zip Drive though.

    My best suggestion is to use an imaging software program (like Drive Image,
    which can no longer be found on store shelves) that doesn't choke on long file
    names...if you are backing up humongous amounts of files.

    Cymbal Man Freq. <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote:

    > Zip Drives or Jump Drives won't have a problem like this, would they?

    No since they will be using the FAT filing system rather than CDFS.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 09:32:53 +0100, "Mike M"
    <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:

    Unknown.

    Where can I find out this information?? Is it something (like
    software) which can be downloaded/replaced/upgraded, or more a
    hardware thing -- this CD iso 9660 format??

    >What format are you using to write your files to CDRW? The CD iso 9660
    >format has no knowledge of file attributes and as part of that standard
    >all files are therefore

    Young Pimp of Thai Hooker <nerf@football4.less> wrote:

    > Unknown.
    >
    > Where can I find out this information?? Is it something (like
    > software) which can be downloaded/replaced/upgraded, or more a
    > hardware thing -- this CD iso 9660 format??

    What more do you want to know? The ISO9660 standard does not support file
    attributes. If you want to know more, not that it will help you since you
    will still have to use ATTRIB to change the attributes to meet your
    requirements, try using Google. ISO = International Standards
    Organisation. ISO 9660 is an international standard and underlies the
    writing of CDs. In many cases an extended version of the standard is
    used, known as Joliet, and this extends the standard to allow lower case
    file names, file names with more than 32 characters, long paths of more
    than 255 characters and depths of more than 8 directories.

    If you wish to write files to a CD and for them to retain their file
    attributes and file names > 64 characters use the UDF filing system such
    as is commonly used by packet writing software such as Ahead's InCD and
    Roxio's DirectCD. One small problem is that packet written CDs are
    somewhat more "fragile" that those written using ISO9660+Joliet. By
    fragile I mean not physically fragile but the data on the disk can often
    only be read on the same hardware as was used to write the disk with the
    result that a disk written on one PC may not be readable on another.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    If you would be kind enough to tell us what software you're using to burn
    your CDs with, all the guess answers would go away.

    > On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 09:32:53 +0100, "Mike M"
    > <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:
    >
    > Unknown.
    >
    > Where can I find out this information?? Is it something (like
    > software) which can be downloaded/replaced/upgraded, or more a
    > hardware thing -- this CD iso 9660 format??
    >

    > >What format are you using to write your files to CDRW? The CD iso 9660
    > >format has no knowledge of file attributes and as part of that standard
    > >all files are therefore

    On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 00:28:43 +0100, "Mike M"
    <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:

    I didn't expect the Spanish Inquision. . .

    >What more do you want to know? The ISO9660 standard does not support file
    >attributes. If you want to know more, not that it will help you since you
    >will still have to use ATTRIB to change the attributes to meet your
    >requirements, try using Google. ISO = International Standards
    >Organisation. ISO 9660 is an international standard and underlies the
    >writing of CDs. In many cases an extended version of the standard is
    >used, known as Joliet, and this extends the standard to allow lower case
    >file names, file names with more than 32 characters, long paths of more
    >than 255 characters and depths of more than 8 directories.
    >
    >If you wish to write files to a CD and for them to retain their file
    >attributes and file names > 64 characters use the UDF filing system such
    >as is commonly used by packet writing software such as Ahead's InCD and
    >Roxio's DirectCD. One small problem is that packet written CDs are
    >somewhat more "fragile" that those written using ISO9660+Joliet. By
    >fragile I mean not physically fragile but the data on the disk can often
    >only be read on the same hardware as was used to write the disk with the
    >result that a disk written on one PC may not be readable on another.

    Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

    Young Pimp of Thai Hooker wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 00:28:43 +0100, "Mike M"
    > <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:
    >

    > I didn't expect the Spanish Inquision. . .
    >

    >>What more do you want to know? The ISO9660 standard does not support file
    >>attributes. If you want to know more, not that it will help you since you
    >>will still have to use ATTRIB to change the attributes to meet your
    >>requirements, try using Google. ISO = International Standards
    >>Organisation. ISO 9660 is an international standard and underlies the
    >>writing of CDs. In many cases an extended version of the standard is
    >>used, known as Joliet, and this extends the standard to allow lower case
    >>file names, file names with more than 32 characters, long paths of more
    >>than 255 characters and depths of more than 8 directories.
    >>
    >>If you wish to write files to a CD and for them to retain their file
    >>attributes and file names > 64 characters use the UDF filing system such
    >>as is commonly used by packet writing software such as Ahead's InCD and
    >>Roxio's DirectCD. One small problem is that packet written CDs are
    >>somewhat more "fragile" that those written using ISO9660+Joliet. By
    >>fragile I mean not physically fragile but the data on the disk can often
    >>only be read on the same hardware as was used to write the disk with the
    >>result that a disk written on one PC may not be readable on another.

    Our weapons are fear, and surprise.

    Rick T wrote:
    > Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.
    >

    > Young Pimp of Thai Hooker wrote:
    >> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 00:28:43 +0100, "Mike M"
    >> <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:
    >>

    >> I didn't expect the Spanish Inquision. . .
    >>

    >>> What more do you want to know? The ISO9660 standard does not
    >>> support file attributes. If you want to know more, not that it
    >>> will help you since you will still have to use ATTRIB to change the
    >>> attributes to meet your requirements, try using Google. ISO =
    >>> International Standards Organisation. ISO 9660 is an international
    >>> standard and underlies the writing of CDs. In many cases an
    >>> extended version of the standard is used, known as Joliet, and this
    >>> extends the standard to allow lower case file names, file names
    >>> with more than 32 characters, long paths of more than 255
    >>> characters and depths of more than 8 directories. If you wish to write
    >>> files to a CD and for them to retain their file
    >>> attributes and file names > 64 characters use the UDF filing system
    >>> such as is commonly used by packet writing software such as Ahead's
    >>> InCD and Roxio's DirectCD. One small problem is that packet
    >>> written CDs are somewhat more "fragile" that those written using
    >>> ISO9660+Joliet. By fragile I mean not physically fragile but the
    >>> data on the disk can often only be read on the same hardware as was
    >>> used to write the disk with the result that a disk written on one
    >>> PC may not be readable on another.

    Our weapons are Fear, Surprise, and......

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Our weapons are fear, and surprise.
    >

    > Rick T wrote:
    >> Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.
    >>

    >> Young Pimp of Thai Hooker wrote:
    >>> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 00:28:43 +0100, "Mike M"
    >>> <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:
    >>>

    >>> I didn't expect the Spanish Inquision. . .

    Figgs <g>
    Joan

    Joan Archer <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote:

    > Figgs <g>

    Syrup of?
    --
    Mike

    ROFL
    I'm in trouble when she sees this <g>
    Joan

    Mike M wrote:
    > Joan Archer <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Figgs <g>
    >
    > Syrup of?

    Joan Archer <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote:

    > ROFL
    > I'm in trouble when she sees this <g>

    You and me both. :-)
    --
    Mike
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    ROFL!! I darn near added myself to Noel's List. Glad to see you two think
    the same!!

    Cheers.......Figgs 8-)))

    > Joan Archer <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote:
    >
    > > ROFL
    > > I'm in trouble when she sees this <g>
    >
    > You and me both. :-)
    > --
    > Mike

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Yep......that you are. And here I had a present ready to mail to you....but
    no way, Jose. (VBG)

    Figgs
    "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > ROFL
    > I'm in trouble when she sees this <g>
    > Joan
    >

    > Mike M wrote:
    > > Joan Archer <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Figgs <g>
    > >
    > > Syrup of?

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    I cannot confirm or deny my intentions - I plead the 5th!
    <g>

    --

    "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > ROFL!! I darn near added myself to Noel's List. Glad to see you two
    > think
    > the same!!
    >
    > Cheers.......Figgs 8-)))
    >
    > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    >> Joan Archer <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> > ROFL
    >> > I'm in trouble when she sees this <g>
    >>
    >> You and me both. :-)
    >> --
    >> Mike

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Hmmm, have a neat picture of you.....just might post it. (snicker) Sent to
    me by my ex-resident graphic designer.....lol.

    XX Figgs

    > I cannot confirm or deny my intentions - I plead the 5th!
    > <g>
    >
    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > > ROFL!! I darn near added myself to Noel's List. Glad to see you two
    > > think
    > > the same!!
    > >
    > > Cheers.......Figgs 8-)))
    > >
    > > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message

    > >> You and me both. :-)
    > >> --
    > >> Mike

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Which one was that (picture, I mean!)?
    <g>

    --

    > Hmmm, have a neat picture of you.....just might post it. (snicker) Sent
    > me by my ex-resident graphic designer.....lol.
    >
    > XX Figgs
    >
    > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    >> I cannot confirm or deny my intentions - I plead the 5th!
    >> <g>
    >>
    >> --
    >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >>
    >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    >>
    >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    >>
    >> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    >> > ROFL!! I darn near added myself to Noel's List. Glad to see you two
    >> > think
    >> > the same!!
    >> >
    >> > Cheers.......Figgs 8-)))
    >> >
    >> > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Ummm, how shall I put this. It was your birthday?? You prefer wearing the
    bare (choke) minimum of clothing? Heh heh.

    XX Figgs

    > Which one was that (picture, I mean!)?
    > <g>
    >
    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > > Hmmm, have a neat picture of you.....just might post it. (snicker)
    Sent
    > > me by my ex-resident graphic designer.....lol.
    > >
    > > XX Figgs
    > >
    > > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    > >> I cannot confirm or deny my intentions - I plead the 5th!
    > >> <g>
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    > >>
    > >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    > >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    > >>
    > >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    > >>
    > >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
    NG's

    > >> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    I didn't know you were Greek, Figgs!!
    (as in ..bearing gifts....)

    --

    > Yep......that you are. And here I had a present ready to mail to
    > you....but
    > no way, Jose. (VBG)
    >
    > Figgs
    > "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    >> ROFL
    >> I'm in trouble when she sees this <g>
    >> Joan
    >>

    >> Mike M wrote:

    >> > Syrup of?

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    You've been peeking again, Figgs! - I've warned you about that before!
    :)

    --

    > Ummm, how shall I put this. It was your birthday?? You prefer wearing
    > the
    > bare (choke) minimum of clothing? Heh heh.
    >
    > XX Figgs
    >
    > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    >> Which one was that (picture, I mean!)?
    >> <g>
    >>
    >> --
    >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >>
    >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    >>
    >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    >>
    >> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    >> > Hmmm, have a neat picture of you.....just might post it. (snicker)
    > Sent
    >> > me by my ex-resident graphic designer.....lol.
    >> >
    >> > XX Figgs
    >> >
    >> > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

    > NG's

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    I want one of those <g>
    Joan

    Heather wrote:
    > Ummm, how shall I put this. It was your birthday?? You prefer
    > wearing the bare (choke) minimum of clothing? Heh heh.
    >
    > XX Figgs
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    I don't think your heart could take it, old dear!! ROFL!!

    But perhaps I might just send it. Elayne took it and it is rather good,
    actually.

    Cheers.....Heather

    > I want one of those <g>
    > Joan
    >

    > Heather wrote:
    > > Ummm, how shall I put this. It was your birthday?? You prefer
    > > wearing the bare (choke) minimum of clothing? Heh heh.
    > >
    > > XX Figgs

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    <lol> Don't be such a meany <g>
    Joan

    Heather wrote:
    > Yep......that you are. And here I had a present ready to mail to
    > you....but no way, Jose. (VBG)
    >
    > Figgs
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Joan

    Heather wrote:
    >I don't think your heart could take it, old dear!! ROFL!!
    >
    > But perhaps I might just send it. Elayne took it and it is rather
    > good, actually.
    >
    > Cheers.....Heather

  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Of note is that Mike seems to be knowledgeable of packet writing and ISO
    burns. And perhaps you can answer a question lingering in my mind for a long
    time because I have not been able to locate an answer. It is my
    understanding that DVD's use the Packet Writing?
    Because of the lower reliability of packet written CD's, does this problem
    transfer to DVD's?
    I thought I had found the answer to large backups of data files until I
    learned that DVD's were using that format and had already read much of the
    potential problem relating to packet writing of CD's in CDRW forums.
    It would be bad enough to loose one CD of data because of the inherent
    problems of packet writing, but to loose an entire DVD is obviously many
    times worse.

    Also a note on CD burning. I've run across where ISO burns done on one
    machine are not readable on another. Not sure of the cause, but it may have
    had to do with Mt. Ranier, multi-session in some cases, and software package
    changes. I guess it could have been anything sometimes (;- , hardware,
    OS, ---GOK (God only knows)
    Norman

    > If you would be kind enough to tell us what software you're using to burn
    > your CDs with, all the guess answers would go away.
    >
    > "Young Pimp of Thai Hooker" <nerf@football4.less> wrote in message
    > > On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 09:32:53 +0100, "Mike M"
    > > <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:
    > >
    > > Unknown.
    > >
    > > Where can I find out this information?? Is it something (like
    > > software) which can be downloaded/replaced/upgraded, or more a
    > > hardware thing -- this CD iso 9660 format??
    > >

    > > >What format are you using to write your files to CDRW? The CD iso 9660
    > > >format has no knowledge of file attributes and as part of that standard
    > > >all files are therefore

  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Norman,

    DVDs use the UDF format but don't AFAIK use packet writing but rather
    write the data in a continuous stream. DVDs can also be written using
    ISO9660 format but in this case the maximum file size is limited to 2GB
    whereas the UDF format has no such limitation.

    Multisession CDs are quite often unreadable on hardware other than that on
    which they were written. Compatibility can be helped by closing the disk
    which means that no further data can be written to the disk.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Norman <nthums1@comcast.net> wrote:

    > Of note is that Mike seems to be knowledgeable of packet writing and
    > ISO burns. And perhaps you can answer a question lingering in my mind
    > for a long time because I have not been able to locate an answer. It
    > is my understanding that DVD's use the Packet Writing?
    > Because of the lower reliability of packet written CD's, does this
    > problem transfer to DVD's?
    > I thought I had found the answer to large backups of data files until
    > I learned that DVD's were using that format and had already read much
    > of the potential problem relating to packet writing of CD's in CDRW
    > forums.
    > It would be bad enough to loose one CD of data because of the inherent
    > problems of packet writing, but to loose an entire DVD is obviously
    > many times worse.
    >
    > Also a note on CD burning. I've run across where ISO burns done on one
    > machine are not readable on another. Not sure of the cause, but it
    > may have had to do with Mt. Ranier, multi-session in some cases, and
    > software package changes. I guess it could have been anything
    > sometimes (;- , hardware,
    > OS, ---GOK (God only knows)

Read Only CD-Rom Microsoft Windows