Dell Dimension crash problem (CD-ROM vs USB drive issue?)

I have a Dell Dimension 8300. Very happy generally BUT, when I try to load a
CD when I have a 'pen-drive' or MP3 ce ited in the US port, it freezes up
completely.
When the sB drive is removed I can rip the CD and then AFTER removing the
Ccan insert and transfer the MP3 file
I would g at a lash of interrupts - but I thought these crashes were a thing
of the past with Win XP?
Any ideas or help appreciated as this is bloody annoying as a re-boot is the
only remedy
David

jad

when you remove the pen drive do you use the SUB terminator (icon in the
task bar)?
does your SUB drive have its own software (e.g. creatives nomadware)?

here's a couple of things you can try:

in the bios there are settings for USB legacy devices-try different
settings.

have a copy of windows explorer open in the background while trying the same
tasks as you described.

"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> when you remove the pen drive do you use the SUB terminator (icon in the
> task bar)?
No - I don't but wasn't aware there was one! Kingston 512Mb

> does your SUB drive have its own software (e.g. creatives nomadware)?
Nope - XP
> here's a couple of things you can try:
>
> in the bios there are settings for USB legacy devices-try different
> settings.
There are no settings - Dells own limited BIOS

> have a copy of windows explorer open in the background while trying the
> same
> tasks as you described.
Already tried as I was trying to drag from CD to USB when it first locked up

> "DCA" <dca860MAPS@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> I have a Dell Dimension 8300. Very happy generally BUT, when I try to
>> load
>> CD when I have a 'pen-drive' or MP3 ce ited in the US port, it freezes up
>> completely.
>> When the sB drive is removed I can rip the CD and then AFTER removing the
>> Ccan insert and transfer the MP3 file
>> I would g at a lash of interrupts - but I thought these crashes were a
> thing
>> of the past with Win XP?
>> Any ideas or help appreciated as this is bloody annoying as a re-boot is
> the
>> only remedy
>> David

jad

ok first obviously my spell checker went wacky...SUB= USB

> "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
>> when you remove the pen drive do you use the SUB terminator (icon in the
>> task bar)?

Usually when things are loading properly, the icon for hotswap USB appears
in the task bar by the clock. (green arrow over a USB connector(my
interpratatoin as its pretty small). The only things I have seen that don't
have this are some scanners, but I suppose it could be for some USB storage
devices, but i doubt it.

> No - I don't but wasn't aware there was one! Kingston 512Mb
>
>> does your SUB drive have its own software (e.g. creatives nomadware)?
> Nope - XP

This CAN;;; work but some storage drives have a driver at least, because of
odd formatting...but then there should be software that formats it, if its
not conventional.

>> here's a couple of things you can try:
>>
>> in the bios there are settings for USB legacy devices-try different
>> settings.

> There are no settings - Dells own limited BIOS

I was afraid of that...

>> have a copy of windows explorer open in the background while trying the
>> same
>> tasks as you described.
> Already tried as I was trying to drag from CD to USB when it first locked
> up

It seems that it has some kind of driver because of its format.
what about the manufacturers web site?

>> "DCA" <dca860MAPS@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> I have a Dell Dimension 8300. Very happy generally BUT, when I try to
>>> load
>>> CD when I have a 'pen-drive' or MP3 ce ited in the US port, it freezes
>>> up
>>> completely.
>>> When the sB drive is removed I can rip the CD and then AFTER removing
>>> the
>>> Ccan insert and transfer the MP3 file
>>> I would g at a lash of interrupts - but I thought these crashes were a
>> thing
>>> of the past with Win XP?
>>> Any ideas or help appreciated as this is bloody annoying as a re-boot is
>> the
>>> only remedy
>>> David

> Usually when things are loading properly, the icon for hotswap USB appears
> in the task bar by the clock. (green arrow over a USB connector(my
> interpratatoin as its pretty small). The only things I have seen that
> don't have this are some scanners, but I suppose it could be for some USB
> storage devices, but i doubt it.
>

>> No - I don't but wasn't aware there was one! Kingston 512Mb
>>
>>> does your SUB drive have its own software (e.g. creatives nomadware)?
>> Nope - XP
>
> This CAN;;; work but some storage drives have a driver at least, because
> of odd formatting...but then there should be software that formats it, if
> its not conventional.

Ok - I have a 'safely remove hardware' icon. You can also view the driver
with this BUT it uses standard MS XP driver. Instructions tell me NOT to use
driver disc for XP (only for Win 9x)
REmoving it is not the issue - its using it to xfer files from CD to
removable drive. At present I have to copty to HDD, remove CD, pluf
removable dive in USB slot adn it works. CD and USB it seems cannot operate
together

> It seems that it has some kind of driver because of its format.
> what about the manufacturers web site?

Same story - avoid drivers if using XP

TRENDING THREADS