Which video card for upgrade

I am looking to upgrade my video card. I know my system is dated but
until I can build another pc I would like to improve it.

INTEL D845EBG2
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.80GHz
510MB RAM
ABIT Siluro GF4 Ti4200 64mb
SB Audigy Audio 2
Antec true power 430 psu

I have been able to run games like HL2 and COD at medium resolutions
without a problem. I am going to increase my ram to 1gb. I have also
been looking at a few video cards like 6600 ( which I did read
somewhere has a compatability issue with the 845 chip ), ATI 9600xt and
a few others. Can anyone give advice to which card would gave some
improvement for gaming ?
4 answers Last reply
More about which video card upgrade

    In article <1113099383.418983.159480@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
    says...
    > I am looking to upgrade my video card. I know my system is dated but
    > until I can build another pc I would like to improve it.
    >
    > INTEL D845EBG2
    > Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.80GHz
    > 510MB RAM
    > ABIT Siluro GF4 Ti4200 64mb
    > SB Audigy Audio 2
    > Antec true power 430 psu
    >
    > I have been able to run games like HL2 and COD at medium resolutions
    > without a problem. I am going to increase my ram to 1gb. I have also
    > been looking at a few video cards like 6600 ( which I did read
    > somewhere has a compatability issue with the 845 chip ), ATI 9600xt and
    > a few others. Can anyone give advice to which card would gave some
    > improvement for gaming ?

    6600GT or x800

    --
    Conor

    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.

    <toron27@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I am looking to upgrade my video card. I know my system is dated but
    > until I can build another pc I would like to improve it.
    >
    > INTEL D845EBG2
    > Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.80GHz
    > 510MB RAM
    > ABIT Siluro GF4 Ti4200 64mb
    > SB Audigy Audio 2
    > Antec true power 430 psu
    >
    > I have been able to run games like HL2 and COD at medium resolutions
    > without a problem. I am going to increase my ram to 1gb. I have also
    > been looking at a few video cards like 6600 ( which I did read
    > somewhere has a compatability issue with the 845 chip ), ATI 9600xt and
    > a few others. Can anyone give advice to which card would gave some
    > improvement for gaming ?

    Your system is quite good... nothing wrong with that config at all.
    Increasing your memory is always a good idea for adding more zest to a
    system, so your jump to 1GB is fine. The ATI Radeon Pro 9600 or 9600xt are
    great mid-range cards and will provide a huge bang-for-the-buck. (And in
    case you hadn't heard, the 9600 Pro is outrageously overclockable. One of
    our systems has a 9600 Pro with both the core *and* memory OC-ed by 100MHz
    using RadClocker! Sweet.) So, those two improvements would seem to provide
    the best return for a minimal investment, given your current situation as
    described.

    What is your budget? The 6600GT is very good for the money. However, for
    Half Life 2, ATI cards perform a little better, so got to Tom's hardware and
    look at the VGA charts.

    Dave

    <toron27@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I am looking to upgrade my video card. I know my system is dated but
    > until I can build another pc I would like to improve it.
    >
    > INTEL D845EBG2
    > Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.80GHz
    > 510MB RAM
    > ABIT Siluro GF4 Ti4200 64mb
    > SB Audigy Audio 2
    > Antec true power 430 psu
    >
    > I have been able to run games like HL2 and COD at medium resolutions
    > without a problem. I am going to increase my ram to 1gb. I have also
    > been looking at a few video cards like 6600 ( which I did read
    > somewhere has a compatability issue with the 845 chip ), ATI 9600xt and
    > a few others. Can anyone give advice to which card would gave some
    > improvement for gaming ?

    The only reason ATI cards are better with valve games is because they
    get direct access to the game whileits beeing produced. This means
    they know what to and what not to include in thier drivers. Nvidia
    have not got that connection and therfor have to take a stab at what
    the game will come out like and what config to use in thier drivers.
    In case you didnt know ATI and Valve have a bit of bondage going on
    as they are trying to get rid of Geforce (good luck).

    i would go for a ATI card if you want to play HL2 for the above
    reason. The X800 or X600 are good but if want extreme performance
    with HL2 get an ASUS card as they make by far the best graphics
    cards. They are a little bit more expensive than other cards but they
    are worth it.

Homebuilt Graphics Cards Systems