  • System Recovery
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
August 27, 2005 1:11:01 PM

i am trying to restore my computer to factory conditions. i load system
recovery disk 1 and restart the computer and all of a sudden it says hard
drive not found. recovery was aborted. i know i have a hard drive. what do
i do next.
thanks

More about : system recovery windows

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 9:58:22 PM

The first question has to be - "why are you trying to do something so
drastic??"..
There are very few reasons why this may be a good idea - one of which may
give a pointer to your problem!

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"computer lost" <computer lost@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i am trying to restore my computer to factory conditions. i load system
> recovery disk 1 and restart the computer and all of a sudden it says hard
> drive not found. recovery was aborted. i know i have a hard drive. what
> do
> i do next.
> thanks
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 9:58:23 PM

"Noel Paton" wrote:

> The first question has to be - "why are you trying to do something so
> drastic??"..
> There are very few reasons why this may be a good idea - one of which may
> give a pointer to your problem!
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "computer lost" <computer lost@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i am trying to restore my computer to factory conditions. i load system
> > recovery disk 1 and restart the computer and all of a sudden it says hard
> > drive not found. recovery was aborted. i know i have a hard drive. what
> > do
> > i do next.
> > thanks

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 1:05:14 PM

This does look like a case of heavy infestation by something nasty -
however, just reinstalling could mean that whatever is on there is not fully
removed, just hidden until you accidentally click something...

Try installing your Spyware removers while in Safe Mode - which hopefully
will prevent most of the unwanted stuff from running. here follows my
standard spiel.....
You may already have a virus/spyware hijack

download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that A-V-disabling
viruses are not present on your PC
http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/averttools.asp (note that this will run
happily in Safe Mode)

- update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files (most AV
will run in Safe Mode).

download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties from
your system. The install and run can be done in Safe Mode - visit the web
site for instructions on how to update by downloading the defs files for
offline/safe mode install -
Also install and run the VX2 add-on for AdAware - which looks for specific
nasties which are resistant to the 'usual' methods.

See if that helps at all