system recovery for windows me

i am trying to restore my computer to factory conditions. i load system
recovery disk 1 and restart the computer and all of a sudden it says hard
drive not found. recovery was aborted. i know i have a hard drive. what do
i do next.
thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about system recovery windows

    The first question has to be - "why are you trying to do something so
    drastic??"..
    There are very few reasons why this may be a good idea - one of which may
    give a pointer to your problem!

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    "Noel Paton" wrote:

    > The first question has to be - "why are you trying to do something so
    > drastic??"..
    > There are very few reasons why this may be a good idea - one of which may
    > give a pointer to your problem!
    >

    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "computer lost" <computer lost@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >i am trying to restore my computer to factory conditions. i load system
    > > recovery disk 1 and restart the computer and all of a sudden it says hard
    > > drive not found. recovery was aborted. i know i have a hard drive. what
    > > do
    > > i do next.
    > > thanks

    This does look like a case of heavy infestation by something nasty -
    however, just reinstalling could mean that whatever is on there is not fully
    removed, just hidden until you accidentally click something...

    Try installing your Spyware removers while in Safe Mode - which hopefully
    will prevent most of the unwanted stuff from running. here follows my
    standard spiel.....
    You may already have a virus/spyware hijack

    download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that A-V-disabling
    viruses are not present on your PC
    http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/averttools.asp (note that this will run
    happily in Safe Mode)

    - update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files (most AV
    will run in Safe Mode).

    download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
    update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties from
    your system. The install and run can be done in Safe Mode - visit the web
    site for instructions on how to update by downloading the defs files for
    offline/safe mode install -
    Also install and run the VX2 add-on for AdAware - which looks for specific
    nasties which are resistant to the 'usual' methods.

    See if that helps at all

    --

    > "Noel Paton" wrote:
    >
    >> The first question has to be - "why are you trying to do something so
    >> drastic??"..
    >> There are very few reasons why this may be a good idea - one of which may
    >> give a pointer to your problem!
    >>

    >> --
    >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >>
    >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    >>
    >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    >> "computer lost" <computer lost@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message
    >> >i am trying to restore my computer to factory conditions. i load system
    >> > recovery disk 1 and restart the computer and all of a sudden it says
    >> > hard
    >> > drive not found. recovery was aborted. i know i have a hard drive.
    >> > what
    >> > do
    >> > i do next.
    >> > thanks

Windows Me Computers System Recovery Windows