New computer, New OS, New Wireless Problem :-

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi All,

A little bit of background info:
My room in my house sits directly above a linksys wireless B access point
downstairs. I have had a laptop w/WinXp home with a built-in wireless chip
for a while and have had absolutely no problems in this exact location.

The matter at hand:
Now with my new desktop w/WinXP Pro Sp2 that I built, I installed a linksys
wireless G (b compatible) PCI card and noticed that in games such as BF2,
every so often, I'd get the "Warning, Connection Problems" message and it
would screw everything up. I wanted to see if maybe it was a problem with the
application and not my computer, so I opened up a command prompt and did a
constant ping ("ping -t") to my access point and every 30 or so replies (it
varies but it's not unfrequent by any means) the time on a single reply jumps
to 1200+ milliseconds or even (more rarely) times out. ALL other replies are
1ms or less. I have windows firewall disabled and have no antivirus programs
running. I don't have this problem on my laptop in the same place in my
house, maybe there is a windows setting. I'd really like to get this fixed!

Does anyone have any idea what could be the matter?

Thanks so much, this really bothers me.

- Sam

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Just forgot to add, before anyone says anything...

I have tried this with *THREE* different wireless adapters: a Linksys USB
adapater, a Linksys PCI card, and a Belkin PCI card. All 3 give me the same
problem. This must be an issue with windows :-\

Thanks so SO much for any help in advance,

- Dan

Malke

Dan wrote:

> Bump :-\
>
> Please help if you can. I would appreciate it extremeley.
>
> - Dan

There is no "bump" on Usenet.

With all the cards you've used, are you using the mftrs.' connectivity
software or Windows Wireless? Try the opposite. Make sure Windows is
not allowed to turn off whatever device you are using "when not in
use". Do this from the power management tab in the device properties
(System applet>Hardware>Device Manager).

If you have an ethernet connection, try disabling it from Device
Manager.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell