Reload WINME from OEM hard drive CAB files

I have a Compaq Presario 5006CA that over the last several months has slowly
been acting up, i.e. rebooting after shutdown started, locking up after
shutdown started, system freezing for 30 or so seconds while surfing the net
and, most recently, video display problems. My video settings were locked at
16 color 640x480 resolution. After trying to change them to anything else and
after rebooting nothing gets changed. Also, my mouse would not work in normal
bootup, only selective bootup with my system.ini file disabled.

A local computer store advised to uninstall my video drivers and to delete a
few files and then to reboot. This would cause to computer to want new
drivers, which I would direct to the c:\cpqdrv\nvidia folder. This was BAD
advice. Now I cannot boot up at all. I get the Compaq screen and the WINME
screen but then the system just keeps rebooting over and over and over.....
Using the startup disk and booting under safe mode does the same thing. I
cannot load windows AT ALL!!!^%$~@ I don't want to lose any photos, etc on
hard drive so factory restore on my Recovery CD is not an option. I just want
to reload WINME from my hard drive CAB files. I can get to C:\ and can access
folders that way so I figure this may be an option. One of the files I had to
extract was VMM32. I guess that was one of the files that was deleted. If any
other files need to be extracted I will certainly give it a try or if
reloading WINME is easier in an attempt to address the other issues I would
try that as well.

Any help would be appreciated!
Chris Fraser
7 answers Last reply
More about reload winme hard drive files

    Chris,

    Oh my goodness. By extracting and attempting to use vmm32.vxd from the
    Win Me cab files it comes as no surprise that you are having problems.
    This file is only a stub and used when installing Win Me to build the real
    vmm32.vxd file which is a composite of 30 or more virtual device drivers.
    If you no longer are using the copy of vmm32.vxd that was built when Win
    Me was first installed then you are missing many of the device drivers
    that are essential for the operation of Win Me.

    You would do yourself and your PC a great service if you were able to
    restore the copy of vmm32.vxd that you replaced with the stub from the Win
    Me cab set.

    How long ago did all these problems start? Do you have a system restore
    checkpoint that predates your deleting the correct vmm32.vxd? If so have
    you tried restoring to that checkpoint?
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    > Chris,
    >
    > Oh my goodness. By extracting and attempting to use vmm32.vxd from the
    > Win Me cab files it comes as no surprise that you are having problems.
    > This file is only a stub and used when installing Win Me to build the real
    > vmm32.vxd file which is a composite of 30 or more virtual device drivers.
    > If you no longer are using the copy of vmm32.vxd that was built when Win
    > Me was first installed then you are missing many of the device drivers
    > that are essential for the operation of Win Me.

    I suspected that this was a "fatal" error! You have to forgive my memory as
    this happened about 1 week ago and I cannot remember all the specifics and
    the computer is temporarily "dead".

    > You would do yourself and your PC a great service if you were able to
    > restore the copy of vmm32.vxd that you replaced with the stub from the Win
    > Me cab set.

    I don't understand what you mean with stub. I used the ext (?) command at
    the DOS prompt (which is all I can access) and was prompted for the file
    name, source directory and destination directory. The source was
    C:\windows\options\cabs (I believe! It definately was the CABS folder
    though!) and destination was c:\windows\system.

    > How long ago did all these problems start? Do you have a system restore
    > checkpoint that predates your deleting the correct vmm32.vxd? If so have
    > you tried restoring to that checkpoint?

    This last error happened about 1 week ago. The rebooting and locking up
    after shutdown started has been happening for a couple of months but haven't
    had much time to investigate. The system freezing has been for a couple of
    years. I posted it on Explorer group but no suggestions worked so I let it
    be. The video display problems were about a few days before the "crash". I
    know the kids were at the computer for a couple of minutes but I can't see
    them causing an error this significant. I'm sure there must be a system
    restore point as I leave this function activated but I cannot access WINME
    to even check or perform one.

    Chris

    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > chris fraser <chris fraser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > I have a Compaq Presario 5006CA that over the last several months has
    > > slowly been acting up, i.e. rebooting after shutdown started, locking
    > > up after shutdown started, system freezing for 30 or so seconds while
    > > surfing the net and, most recently, video display problems. My video
    > > settings were locked at 16 color 640x480 resolution. After trying to
    > > change them to anything else and after rebooting nothing gets
    > > changed. Also, my mouse would not work in normal bootup, only
    > > selective bootup with my system.ini file disabled.
    > >
    > > A local computer store advised to uninstall my video drivers and to
    > > delete a few files and then to reboot. This would cause to computer
    > > to want new drivers, which I would direct to the c:\cpqdrv\nvidia
    > > folder. This was BAD advice. Now I cannot boot up at all. I get the
    > > Compaq screen and the WINME screen but then the system just keeps
    > > rebooting over and over and over..... Using the startup disk and
    > > booting under safe mode does the same thing. I cannot load windows AT
    > > ALL!!!^%$~@ I don't want to lose any photos, etc on hard drive so
    > > factory restore on my Recovery CD is not an option. I just want to
    > > reload WINME from my hard drive CAB files. I can get to C:\ and can
    > > access folders that way so I figure this may be an option. One of the
    > > files I had to extract was VMM32. I guess that was one of the files
    > > that was deleted. If any other files need to be extracted I will
    > > certainly give it a try or if reloading WINME is easier in an attempt
    > > to address the other issues I would try that as well.
    > >
    > > Any help would be appreciated!
    > > Chris Fraser

    Chris,

    > I don't understand what you mean with stub.

    Let me repeat myself and hopefully you will understand what I am saying
    when you read it for a second time.

    "This file [that is the copy of vmm32.vxd contained in the Win Me cab set]
    is only a stub and used [as a template] when installing Win Me to build
    the real vmm32.vxd file which is a composite of 30 or more virtual device
    drivers."

    The file you now have named vmm32.vxd is missing some thirty or more
    virtual device drivers required for the operation of Win Me. Without
    those drivers Win Me is pretty much dead in the water. The copy of
    vmm32.vxd you are using is a stub file and used as a template during the
    installation of Win Me as the basis for the construction of the composite
    vmm32.vxd file required for your system.

    As to whether using system restore to return to a checkpoint a week old
    will save your bacon or not rather depends on how you replaced vmm32.vxd.
    If this file was replaced with Win Me running you might be in luck but if
    done by booting to a DOS prompt from a floppy then the state manager would
    not have been running at the time and the old copy of vmm32.vxd will not
    have been archived.

    Unless you are able to restore the original copy of vmm32.vxd I feel that
    you are going to have to reinstall Win Me over itself. You can do this by
    running the copy of setup.exe in the C:\windows\options\cabs folder
    although there are a couple of things that you should try and do first.
    Firstly if you have installed WMP9 rename the file wmploc.dll to
    wmploc.old or alternatively delete it as otherwise you are likely to see a
    SUWIN error during setup that refers to verx. Secondly and more
    important, it is essential that, if installed, you try if at all possible
    remove IE6 as otherwise you will end up with a bit of a version soup as
    the Win Me reinstall will attempt to install IE5.5.

    For more details about reinstalling Win Me including a tool that can be
    used to remove IE6 see Noel Paton's comments at
    http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/reinME.htm
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Chris Fraser <c11j11f11@hotmail.ca> wrote:

    > I suspected that this was a "fatal" error! You have to forgive my
    > memory as this happened about 1 week ago and I cannot remember all
    > the specifics and the computer is temporarily "dead".
    >
    >> You would do yourself and your PC a great service if you were able to
    >> restore the copy of vmm32.vxd that you replaced with the stub from
    >> the Win Me cab set.
    >
    > I don't understand what you mean with stub. I used the ext (?)
    > command at the DOS prompt (which is all I can access) and was
    > prompted for the file name, source directory and destination
    > directory. The source was C:\windows\options\cabs (I believe! It
    > definitely was the CABS folder though!) and destination was
    > c:\windows\system.
    >>
    >> How long ago did all these problems start? Do you have a system
    >> restore checkpoint that predates your deleting the correct
    >> vmm32.vxd? If so have you tried restoring to that checkpoint?
    >
    > This last error happened about 1 week ago. The rebooting and locking
    > up after shutdown started has been happening for a couple of months
    > but haven't had much time to investigate. The system freezing has
    > been for a couple of years. I posted it on Explorer group but no
    > suggestions worked so I let it be. The video display problems were
    > about a few days before the "crash". I know the kids were at the
    > computer for a couple of minutes but I can't see them causing an
    > error this significant. I'm sure there must be a system restore point
    > as I leave this function activated but I cannot access WINME to even
    > check or perform one.

    > Chris,
    >
    > > I don't understand what you mean with stub.
    >
    > Let me repeat myself and hopefully you will understand what I am saying
    > when you read it for a second time.
    >
    > "This file [that is the copy of vmm32.vxd contained in the Win Me cab set]
    > is only a stub and used [as a template] when installing Win Me to build
    > the real vmm32.vxd file which is a composite of 30 or more virtual device
    > drivers."
    >
    > The file you now have named vmm32.vxd is missing some thirty or more
    > virtual device drivers required for the operation of Win Me. Without
    > those drivers Win Me is pretty much dead in the water. The copy of
    > vmm32.vxd you are using is a stub file and used as a template during the
    > installation of Win Me as the basis for the construction of the composite
    > vmm32.vxd file required for your system.

    I understand now!!!

    > As to whether using system restore to return to a checkpoint a week old
    > will save your bacon or not rather depends on how you replaced vmm32.vxd.
    > If this file was replaced with Win Me running you might be in luck but if
    > done by booting to a DOS prompt from a floppy then the state manager would
    > not have been running at the time and the old copy of vmm32.vxd will not
    > have been archived.

    As this was done from DOS prompt I guess I am toast!!!

    > Unless you are able to restore the original copy of vmm32.vxd I feel that
    > you are going to have to reinstall Win Me over itself. You can do this by
    > running the copy of setup.exe in the C:\windows\options\cabs folder
    > although there are a couple of things that you should try and do first.

    The page listed below talks about the specific CAB file for setup.exe (i.e.
    BASE2.CAB). I assume this would be found by looking in the various CABS
    folders?

    > Firstly if you have installed WMP9 rename the file wmploc.dll to
    > wmploc.old or alternatively delete it as otherwise you are likely to see a
    > SUWIN error during setup that refers to verx. Secondly and more
    > important, it is essential that, if installed, you try if at all possible
    > remove IE6 as otherwise you will end up with a bit of a version soup as
    > the Win Me reinstall will attempt to install IE5.5.

    Seems easy for WMP9 and IE6 (with file noted below). I will give it a shot!!

    > For more details about reinstalling Win Me including a tool that can be
    > used to remove IE6 see Noel Paton's comments at
    > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/reinME.htm

    I have the page above printed off and IEREMOV.ZIP downloaded and files
    transferred to floppy. Do I need to backup the registry first with SCANREG
    /BACKUP? Will this work from command prompt? The file IEREMOV.REG will it
    run from c:\ as the .BAT will? Anything else I should be aware of before I
    venture into this mess?

    Thanks for all your help Mike! This seems to be what I expected to do.
    Hopefully it will go smoothly (if not you will see another post!!!!).

    Regards,
    Chris

    Chris,

    > The page listed below talks about the specific CAB file for setup.exe
    > (i.e. BASE2.CAB). I assume this would be found by looking in the
    > various CABS folders?

    No, read it again. It is using BASE2.CAB as a means of identifying the
    folder concerned. Win Me is installed by running the copy of setup.exe in
    that folder.

    I'll leave it for Noel to answer any questions you might have about using
    IEREMOV.ZIP. It's a bit late for him now (gone midnight in the UK) so you
    may have to wait for him to see your post tomorrow.
    --
> [...]

    >> all possible remove IE6 as otherwise you will end up with a bit of a
    >> version soup as the Win Me reinstall will attempt to install IE5.5.
    >
    > Seems easy for WMP9 and IE6 (with file noted below). I will give it a
    > shot!!
    >
    >> For more details about reinstalling Win Me including a tool that can
    >> be used to remove IE6 see Noel Paton's comments at
    >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/reinME.htm
    >
    > I have the page above printed off and IEREMOV.ZIP downloaded and files
    > transferred to floppy. Do I need to backup the registry first with
    > SCANREG /BACKUP? Will this work from command prompt? The file
    > IEREMOV.REG will it run from c:\ as the .BAT will? Anything else I
    > should be aware of before I venture into this mess?
    >
    > Thanks for all your help Mike! This seems to be what I expected to do.
    > Hopefully it will go smoothly (if not you will see another post!!!!).

    (buck-passer!<vbg>)

    IE6REMOV.ZIP contains three files - one a simple text file telling what to
    do with the other two (in Windows).
    the .BAT file will work in DOS, but the .REG file will not.
    With luck, the reinstall should still work OK - but I can't guarantee it for
    two reasons
    1) I didn't write the page, and the guy who did (Koldbear) has unfortunately
    'gone to a far better place'
    2) I've never tried it in this way.

    Extract the .BAT file either to the HD, or a floppy, and run it from the
    command prompt.

    When the reinstall of ME is complete, you will need to thoroughly check out
    your IE install - and use Windows Updates to reinstall IE6SP1. If that
    fails, then you will need to use my advice posted on uninstalling and
    reinstalling IE in ME - http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/ReInIE.htm

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> [...]
    >>> all possible remove IE6 as otherwise you will end up with a bit of a
    >>> version soup as the Win Me reinstall will attempt to install IE5.5.
    >>
    >> Seems easy for WMP9 and IE6 (with file noted below). I will give it a
    >> shot!!
    >>
    >>> For more details about reinstalling Win Me including a tool that can
    >>> be used to remove IE6 see Noel Paton's comments at
    >>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/reinME.htm
    >>
    >> I have the page above printed off and IEREMOV.ZIP downloaded and files
    >> transferred to floppy. Do I need to backup the registry first with
    >> SCANREG /BACKUP? Will this work from command prompt? The file
    >> IEREMOV.REG will it run from c:\ as the .BAT will? Anything else I
    >> should be aware of before I venture into this mess?
    >>
    >> Thanks for all your help Mike! This seems to be what I expected to do.
    >> Hopefully it will go smoothly (if not you will see another post!!!!).

    Thanks Mike,

    I saw the posting from Noel and will use the info from him and our
    discussions in next day or so to reinstall WINME and then IE. I will post
    back with results. Again, thanks for your help!!!
    Chris

    > Chris,
    >
    > > The page listed below talks about the specific CAB file for setup.exe
    > > (i.e. BASE2.CAB). I assume this would be found by looking in the
    > > various CABS folders?
    >
    > No, read it again. It is using BASE2.CAB as a means of identifying the
    > folder concerned. Win Me is installed by running the copy of setup.exe in
    > that folder.
    >
    > I'll leave it for Noel to answer any questions you might have about using
    > IEREMOV.ZIP. It's a bit late for him now (gone midnight in the UK) so you
    > may have to wait for him to see your post tomorrow.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com

Windows