Where to fit a slave HD?

My midi tower has a three 3.5 bay cage - all occupied by floppy drive, front
USB/firewire/audio, and HD. I wish to add a slave HD. Does anyone have a
suggestion as to where I can locate this please? There is a space above the
PSU, but it's very poorly ventilated, and the slave connection would not
reach that far.
Miles

Philo

"MilesG" <mjgolding@btopenworldYorkLoaves.com> wrote in message
> My midi tower has a three 3.5 bay cage - all occupied by floppy drive,
> front USB/firewire/audio, and HD. I wish to add a slave HD. Does anyone
> have a suggestion as to where I can locate this please? There is a space
> above the PSU, but it's very poorly ventilated, and the slave connection
> would not reach that far.
> Miles

I see two options:

1) if your original harddrive is relatively small
and your new one, large...
just clone your OS to the new one...then remove the original drive
and put the new one there

2) remove the usb/firewire/audio assembly & put your HD there.
then terminate your usb, etc. through the rear of the machine

"MilesG" <mjgolding@btopenworldYorkLoaves.com> wrote

> My midi tower has a three 3.5 bay cage - all occupied by floppy drive,
> front USB/firewire/audio, and HD. I wish to add a slave HD. Does anyone
> have a suggestion as to where I can locate this please? There is a space
> above the PSU, but it's very poorly ventilated, and the slave connection
> would not reach that far.
> Miles

Buy an external USB hard driver enclosure. Problem solved.

Ed Cregger

JohnS

Buy a new case ..... Antec SLK1650B is usually about
$60 depending on where you go. I think CompUSA
has them for that.

johns

BigJim

anywhere you can find room, you may need an adapter kit to bolt it on.
btw it should go where there is some air movement
"MilesG" <mjgolding@btopenworldYorkLoaves.com> wrote in message
> My midi tower has a three 3.5 bay cage - all occupied by floppy drive,
> front USB/firewire/audio, and HD. I wish to add a slave HD. Does anyone
> have a suggestion as to where I can locate this please? There is a space
> above the PSU, but it's very poorly ventilated, and the slave connection
> would not reach that far.
> Miles

steveh

"philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message

> "MilesG" <mjgolding@btopenworldYorkLoaves.com> wrote in message
>> My midi tower has a three 3.5 bay cage - all occupied by floppy drive,
>> front USB/firewire/audio, and HD. I wish to add a slave HD. Does anyone
>> have a suggestion as to where I can locate this please? There is a space
>> above the PSU, but it's very poorly ventilated, and the slave connection
>> would not reach that far.
>> Miles
>>

> I see two options:
>
> 1) if your original harddrive is relatively small
> and your new one, large...
> just clone your OS to the new one...then remove the original drive
> and put the new one there
>
> 2) remove the usb/firewire/audio assembly & put your HD there.
> then terminate your usb, etc. through the rear of the machine
Or, if the o/p has a spare 5.25 bay, get some HDD rails and put it in there.

SteveH

hard drive rails to fit it in your 5.25" bay would be your best bet.

If you rarely use your floppy(like most people nowadays), then remove it and
place your hdd there...

"SteveH" <steve.hough@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "MilesG" <mjgolding@btopenworldYorkLoaves.com> wrote in message
> >> My midi tower has a three 3.5 bay cage - all occupied by floppy drive,
> >> front USB/firewire/audio, and HD. I wish to add a slave HD. Does anyone
> >> have a suggestion as to where I can locate this please? There is a
space
> >> above the PSU, but it's very poorly ventilated, and the slave
connection
> >> would not reach that far.
> >> Miles
> >>

> > I see two options:
> >
> > 1) if your original harddrive is relatively small
> > and your new one, large...
> > just clone your OS to the new one...then remove the original drive
> > and put the new one there
> >
> > 2) remove the usb/firewire/audio assembly & put your HD there.
> > then terminate your usb, etc. through the rear of the machine
> Or, if the o/p has a spare 5.25 bay, get some HDD rails and put it in
there.

> SteveH

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

"SteveH" <steve.hough@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "MilesG" <mjgolding@btopenworldYorkLoaves.com> wrote in message
> >> My midi tower has a three 3.5 bay cage - all occupied by floppy drive,
> >> front USB/firewire/audio, and HD. I wish to add a slave HD. Does anyone
> >> have a suggestion as to where I can locate this please? There is a
space
> >> above the PSU, but it's very poorly ventilated, and the slave
connection
> >> would not reach that far.
> >> Miles
> >>

> > I see two options:
> >
> > 1) if your original harddrive is relatively small
> > and your new one, large...
> > just clone your OS to the new one...then remove the original drive
> > and put the new one there
> >
> > 2) remove the usb/firewire/audio assembly & put your HD there.
> > then terminate your usb, etc. through the rear of the machine
> Or, if the o/p has a spare 5.25 bay, get some HDD rails and put it in
there.

> SteveH
Yep you used to get rails with any retail box HDD purchase - the rails
simply adjust the 5.25" (CD-ROM drive) bay width to 3.5". Alternatively you
could get a HDD caddy to fit a 5.25" bay - you can get these with fans for
extra cooling, or you could get a removeable caddy, where you can slide out
the HDD for security or backup purposes..Ebuyer do one for £4:
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=6686129963&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3Jldmlld3M=&product_uid=72253

You need a larger case for what you want to do.

--
DaveW

"MilesG" <mjgolding@btopenworldYorkLoaves.com> wrote in message
> My midi tower has a three 3.5 bay cage - all occupied by floppy drive,
> front USB/firewire/audio, and HD. I wish to add a slave HD. Does anyone
> have a suggestion as to where I can locate this please? There is a space
> above the PSU, but it's very poorly ventilated, and the slave connection
> would not reach that far.
> Miles

> Buy a new case ..... Antec SLK1650B is usually about
> $60 depending on where you go. I think CompUSA
> has them for that.
>
> johns

Many thanks to all of you for your advice. We use the floppy drive just
occasionally to transfer data to/from an ageing W98 laptop and similar
d/top, and the front USB is handy for a dongle, so I reckon the best bet
(cheapest, neatest and simplest) will be to use rails in a spare 5 1/4"
slot. I suspect I'll have to put the master there and the slave where the
master is, so that the slave connecting block will reach.
I thought there just might be something on the market like a cage extension
kit.

>>> Many thanks to all of you for your advice. We use the floppy drive just
> occasionally to transfer data to/from an ageing W98 laptop and similar
> d/top, and the front USB is handy for a dongle, so I reckon the best bet
> (cheapest, neatest and simplest) will be to use rails in a spare 5 1/4"
> slot. I suspect I'll have to put the master there and the slave where the
> master is, so that the slave connecting block will reach.
> I thought there just might be something on the market like a cage
> extension kit.
> Miles

heck , if i knew you had a 5.25" slot avail...
that's what i would have suggested first...
it's a five minute, $1 solution!

> "MilesG" <mjgolding@btopenworldYorkLoaves.com> wrote in message
>> occasionally to transfer data to/from an ageing W98 laptop and similar
>> d/top, and the front USB is handy for a dongle, so I reckon the best bet
>> (cheapest, neatest and simplest) will be to use rails in a spare 5 1/4"
>> slot. I suspect I'll have to put the master there and the slave where the
>> master is, so that the slave connecting block will reach.
>> I thought there just might be something on the market like a cage
>> extension kit.
>> Miles
>>

> heck , if i knew you had a 5.25" slot avail...
> that's what i would have suggested first...
> it's a five minute, $1 solution!

Ohhh...sorry. I was a bit anxious about cooling, as it's not so well
ventilated up there, and lower down below the 3 1'2" bays is in line of the
air flow.
Miles

>> occasionally to transfer data to/from an ageing W98 laptop and similar
>> d/top, and the front USB is handy for a dongle, so I reckon the best bet
>> (cheapest, neatest and simplest) will be to use rails in a spare 5 1/4"
>> slot. I suspect I'll have to put the master there and the slave where the
>> master is, so that the slave connecting block will reach.
>> I thought there just might be something on the market like a cage
>> extension kit.
>> Miles
>>

> heck , if i knew you had a 5.25" slot avail...
> that's what i would have suggested first...
> it's a five minute, $1 solution!

(Apologies if this is duplicated. I don't see it if it got there first
time - the news server is playing up I think - and I didn't see my original
post)

Ohhh...sorry. I was a bit anxious about cooling, as it's not so well
ventilated up there, and lower down below the 3 1'2" bays is in line of the
air flow.
Miles

BobR

MilesG wrote in message ...

>> heck , if i knew you had a 5.25" slot avail...
>> that's what i would have suggested first...
>> it's a five minute, $1 solution!
>
>Ohhh...sorry. I was a bit anxious about cooling, as it's not so well
>ventilated up there, and lower down below the 3 1'2" bays is in line of the
>air flow.
>Miles

I once saw a 'hard-drive cooler', but I shined it because it **used a 5.25
bay**!
So, you could kill two birds with one stone.
[Cyberguys cat. no.C501-b, pg 74 $30.us, removable hard-drive rack w/fan]

--
Bob R
POVrookie

Go down to your local toy store & see if they sell spare bits for Meccano
sets.
If they do, get the long pieces like on the bottom of this page & get 4 of
them to "hang" under the existing cage.
My kids are still looking for theirs!
http://www.mastermindtoys.com/store/product.asp?product_code=66687&subcat=87
2&agecat=&cat=&brand=137
(watch the wrap)

> You need a larger case for what you want to do.
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "MilesG" <mjgolding@btopenworldYorkLoaves.com> wrote in message
> > My midi tower has a three 3.5 bay cage - all occupied by floppy drive,
> > front USB/firewire/audio, and HD. I wish to add a slave HD. Does anyone
> > have a suggestion as to where I can locate this please? There is a space
> > above the PSU, but it's very poorly ventilated, and the slave connection
> > would not reach that far.
> > Miles

> Go down to your local toy store & see if they sell spare bits for Meccano
> sets.
> If they do, get the long pieces like on the bottom of this page & get 4 of
> them to "hang" under the existing cage.
> My kids are still looking for theirs!
> http://www.mastermindtoys.com/store/product.asp?product_code=66687&subcat=87
> 2&agecat=&cat=&brand=137
> (watch the wrap)

Those poor kids. You baxxxxrd! Now where's that old meccano set of mine...?

Goku

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2004

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 09:16:46 +0000 (UTC), "MilesG"
<mjgolding@btopenworldYorkLoaves.com> wrote:

>My midi tower has a three 3.5 bay cage - all occupied by floppy drive, front
>USB/firewire/audio, and HD. I wish to add a slave HD. Does anyone have a
>suggestion as to where I can locate this please? There is a space above the
>PSU, but it's very poorly ventilated, and the slave connection would not
>reach that far.
>Miles

Adding a PCI hard disk controller card (they're pretty cheap these
days) can allow you to put in a second drive with it's own ide cable
anywhere it will fit since you don't have to worry about the small
distance limit on the ide master/slave cable. You'll get better
performance also.

If you use a floppy or 5" bay slot, take out the cover and replace it
with a piece of filter foam, e.g. cut up a Sears craftsman Foam Sleeve
for wet/dry Vacuums (9-17888) and let your case fans pull in some
outside air over your drive.