scandisk can't fix error

My previous post "Boot prob coincides with AVG update" gives some background
but I've got better info now.
If I wait long enough for it to process I can use my bootdisk to startup to
get a prompt to run scandisk. I get "scandisk found an error when trying to
read cluster 18768. Scandisk will attempt to continue past this error. Run
surface scan when prompted"
It's stopping 36% through checking directory structure giving me this
message and never getting further.
When I tried scanreg /restore I get data error reading drive c.
So my question is...Is it going to possibly help to reinstall ME or is my
drive so damaged that I would ruin my chances of recovering what's on it?

Here's my first very scattered post:
After AVG update prompted restart the pc hung on WinME splashscreen. After
several attempts I decided to use the boot disk.
Last time I did so I was able to use option 1 to get to some helpful info
but this time it didn't fully proceed after I selected option 1. Options
2,3, and 4 - Booting with or without CD rom support and minimal boot don't
give me a prompt or boot. I get A: and can cd to C: using F5 "safemode" and
Shift-F5 "command prompt". But when I typed scanreg /restore I got "data
error reading drive c".
Now when I start without the boot disk it hangs on a flashing cursor.
After about 10 mins it will go to the winme splashscreen and hang. I just
happend to notice this because I left the pc on while reading and posting
here. I almost thought it was going to boot, but drat no.
The error reading c has me alarmed. I didn't get the %1%2 error so I havent
tried to remane wininit but did consider it. The only problem is Im not sure
exactly where it is and can't remember DOS to get the dir by page. It
involved | (pipe?...on the \ key) so if I should rename wininit Ill need
that info too.
I fear reinstalling WinME. Is there a way to do it, if I need to, that
preserves my other files (yeah there's some unbacked-up stuff).
It's weird, the pc seems to be in very slow motion. I just tried starting
in safemode without the boot disk and after several minutes got the usual
options but normal and safemode attempts hang on the winme splashscreen.
What could this be? Im going to just leave it on and see if it boots.
Any advice at this point would be very appreciated.
BTW this is a Dell and the four LEDs on back are green indicating its
working...Im confused.

You might try booting from a WinME Emergency Boot Disk and running
Scandisk from there with the /FIX and /SURFACE switches set.

Are you sure 4xgreen lights = OK ?

Rick

Leigh wrote:
> My previous post "Boot prob coincides with AVG update" gives some background
> but I've got better info now.
> If I wait long enough for it to process I can use my bootdisk to startup to
> get a prompt to run scandisk. I get "scandisk found an error when trying to
> read cluster 18768. Scandisk will attempt to continue past this error. Run
> surface scan when prompted"
> It's stopping 36% through checking directory structure giving me this
> message and never getting further.
> When I tried scanreg /restore I get data error reading drive c.
> So my question is...Is it going to possibly help to reinstall ME or is my
> drive so damaged that I would ruin my chances of recovering what's on it?
>
> Here's my first very scattered post:
> After AVG update prompted restart the pc hung on WinME splashscreen. After
> several attempts I decided to use the boot disk.
> Last time I did so I was able to use option 1 to get to some helpful info
> but this time it didn't fully proceed after I selected option 1. Options
> 2,3, and 4 - Booting with or without CD rom support and minimal boot don't
> give me a prompt or boot. I get A: and can cd to C: using F5 "safemode" and
> Shift-F5 "command prompt". But when I typed scanreg /restore I got "data
> error reading drive c".
> Now when I start without the boot disk it hangs on a flashing cursor.
> After about 10 mins it will go to the winme splashscreen and hang. I just
> happend to notice this because I left the pc on while reading and posting
> here. I almost thought it was going to boot, but drat no.
> The error reading c has me alarmed. I didn't get the %1%2 error so I havent
> tried to remane wininit but did consider it. The only problem is Im not sure
> exactly where it is and can't remember DOS to get the dir by page. It
> involved | (pipe?...on the \ key) so if I should rename wininit Ill need
> that info too.
> I fear reinstalling WinME. Is there a way to do it, if I need to, that
> preserves my other files (yeah there's some unbacked-up stuff).
> It's weird, the pc seems to be in very slow motion. I just tried starting
> in safemode without the boot disk and after several minutes got the usual
> options but normal and safemode attempts hang on the winme splashscreen.
> What could this be? Im going to just leave it on and see if it boots.
> Any advice at this point would be very appreciated.
> BTW this is a Dell and the four LEDs on back are green indicating its
> working...Im confused.

Rick,
I've tried scandisk alone, with /fix, and with /fix and /surface all with
the same result. I'm sure about the LEDs...that has me stumped too.
Thanks

"Rick T" wrote:

> You might try booting from a WinME Emergency Boot Disk and running
> Scandisk from there with the /FIX and /SURFACE switches set.
>
> Are you sure 4xgreen lights = OK ?
>
> Rick
>
> Leigh wrote:
> > My previous post "Boot prob coincides with AVG update" gives some background
> > but I've got better info now.
> > If I wait long enough for it to process I can use my bootdisk to startup to
> > get a prompt to run scandisk. I get "scandisk found an error when trying to
> > read cluster 18768. Scandisk will attempt to continue past this error. Run
> > surface scan when prompted"
> > It's stopping 36% through checking directory structure giving me this
> > message and never getting further.
> > When I tried scanreg /restore I get data error reading drive c.
> > So my question is...Is it going to possibly help to reinstall ME or is my
> > drive so damaged that I would ruin my chances of recovering what's on it?
> >
> > Here's my first very scattered post:
> > After AVG update prompted restart the pc hung on WinME splashscreen. After
> > several attempts I decided to use the boot disk.
> > Last time I did so I was able to use option 1 to get to some helpful info
> > but this time it didn't fully proceed after I selected option 1. Options
> > 2,3, and 4 - Booting with or without CD rom support and minimal boot don't
> > give me a prompt or boot. I get A: and can cd to C: using F5 "safemode" and
> > Shift-F5 "command prompt". But when I typed scanreg /restore I got "data
> > error reading drive c".
> > Now when I start without the boot disk it hangs on a flashing cursor.
> > After about 10 mins it will go to the winme splashscreen and hang. I just
> > happend to notice this because I left the pc on while reading and posting
> > here. I almost thought it was going to boot, but drat no.
> > The error reading c has me alarmed. I didn't get the %1%2 error so I havent
> > tried to remane wininit but did consider it. The only problem is Im not sure
> > exactly where it is and can't remember DOS to get the dir by page. It
> > involved | (pipe?...on the \ key) so if I should rename wininit Ill need
> > that info too.
> > I fear reinstalling WinME. Is there a way to do it, if I need to, that
> > preserves my other files (yeah there's some unbacked-up stuff).
> > It's weird, the pc seems to be in very slow motion. I just tried starting
> > in safemode without the boot disk and after several minutes got the usual
> > options but normal and safemode attempts hang on the winme splashscreen.
> > What could this be? Im going to just leave it on and see if it boots.
> > Any advice at this point would be very appreciated.
> > BTW this is a Dell and the four LEDs on back are green indicating its
> > working...Im confused.

oops correction...autofix. What I wound up doing was getting a maxtor
diagnostic which repaired the problem and then allowed me to run a complete
scandisk. I'm not 100% yet but I hope Ill get there.