Dead CRT

My Viewsonic E90f went dead, just will not power up.
Starter button tries to start it, just there is no follow through.

Holding the button in, doesn't help (trying to determine if it's the switch)
and I suspect the power supply.

Question is, what type of a power supply is needed?
I found this, but it doesn't help *me*
Voltage AC 100-240V, 50/60Hz (+/- 3)
Consumption 100W (typ), (auto switch)
28 answers Last reply
More about dead

    Gary C
    Ken gives good advice, but from experience, I've found that
    replacing a monitor going south is the best way to go.
    LCDs are now coming down in price.

    Gary C wrote:
    > My Viewsonic E90f went dead, just will not power up.
    > Starter button tries to start it, just there is no follow through.
    >
    > Holding the button in, doesn't help (trying to determine if it's the switch)
    > and I suspect the power supply.
    >
    > Question is, what type of a power supply is needed?
    > I found this, but it doesn't help *me*
    > Voltage AC 100-240V, 50/60Hz (+/- 3)
    > Consumption 100W (typ), (auto switch)

    If you are sure that your monitor is the problem by substituting
    another monitor, your symptoms sound like the monitor is going into an
    over current condition. That is, it senses too much current being drawn
    and prevents power from coming all the way up. Unless you are
    knowledgeable in electronics and have the proper tools, I would replace
    the monitor or have it repaired, whichever is most cost efficient.

    Of course substitute another monitor before anything if you have not
    already done so.

    In article <A5d6e.553399$w62.372999@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
    Ken <user@domain.invalid> wrote:
    >Gary C wrote:
    >> My Viewsonic E90f went dead, just will not power up.
    >> Starter button tries to start it, just there is no follow through.
    >>
    >> Holding the button in, doesn't help (trying to determine if it's the switch)
    >> and I suspect the power supply.
    >>
    >> Question is, what type of a power supply is needed?
    >> I found this, but it doesn't help *me*
    >> Voltage AC 100-240V, 50/60Hz (+/- 3)
    >> Consumption 100W (typ), (auto switch)
    >>

    > If you are sure that your monitor is the problem by substituting
    >another monitor, your symptoms sound like the monitor is going into an
    >over current condition. That is, it senses too much current being drawn
    >and prevents power from coming all the way up. Unless you are
    >knowledgeable in electronics and have the proper tools, I would replace
    >the monitor or have it repaired, whichever is most cost efficient.
    >
    > Of course substitute another monitor before anything if you have not
    >already done so.

    Make sure the power cord is solidly in it's socket.

    The power supply isn't a user-replacememt item on a CRT and if you
    knew how to do it you wouldn't be posting this message here.

    How old is the monitor? If it's out of warranty it's probably not
    worth fixing. The dumpsters and used computer dealers are flodded
    with usable CRT monitors these days because people are buying LCD
    monitors.

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    Gary C wrote:
    > My Viewsonic E90f went dead, just will not power up.
    > Starter button tries to start it, just there is no follow through.

    What does 'tries to start' but no follow through mean?

    > Holding the button in, doesn't help (trying to determine if it's the switch)
    > and I suspect the power supply.

    Unlikely to be the switch if it gets as far as 'trying'.

    Just about anything can be wrong depending on what 'tries' to come on means
    but capacitor failure and component drift are common problems. A failed
    capacitor can screw up the voltages so one of the safety shutdown
    mechanisms kicks in, in particular the high voltage drive that, if too
    high, creates x-rays from the tube face so there is usually a voltage
    detector there to kill it if it over volts. Component drift can cause the
    same thing if it drifts out of the acceptable voltage range.

    Of course, any number of failed components can cause an over current on any
    number of internal voltages causing a shutdown too; If 'no follow through'
    means it turns itself back off but your symptom description just isn't
    detailed enough.

    If it powers up but 'no picture', I've repaired a few monitors like that
    which simply needed the low voltage (electronics section) power supply
    filter capacitor replaced. The large value electrolytic fails (probably
    because of heat) and with high ripple DC the electronics simply doesn't
    function properly (might notice a dim, almost raster, glow from the tube in
    a completely dark room, or nothing at all).

    Working inside a monitor is hazardous, however, because there are lethal
    high voltages present and they don't just 'go away' when the power is off.
    Capacitors can hold a dangerous charge for quite a while.

    From a cost standpoint, a 19 inch monitor is borderline for taking to a
    repair shop as it's almost as much to repair, depending on what's wrong, as
    it is to buy a new one.

    > Question is, what type of a power supply is needed?
    > I found this, but it doesn't help *me*
    > Voltage AC 100-240V, 50/60Hz (+/- 3)
    > Consumption 100W (typ), (auto switch)

    Monitors are not like PCs where you can go buy a 'standard ATX' power
    supply replacement; they are specific to the monitor.

    Gary C writes:

    > My Viewsonic E90f went dead, just will not power up.
    > Starter button tries to start it, just there is no follow through.
    >
    > Holding the button in, doesn't help (trying to determine if it's the switch)
    > and I suspect the power supply.
    >
    > Question is, what type of a power supply is needed?
    > I found this, but it doesn't help *me*
    > Voltage AC 100-240V, 50/60Hz (+/- 3)
    > Consumption 100W (typ), (auto switch)

    Just replace it. Even new CRT monitors are extremely inexpensive these
    days, as everyone rushes to buy flat-panel displays. CRTs contain a lot
    high-voltage, nasty stuff and aren't readily user-serviceable. And if
    the tube is the problem, you'd spend more on a new tube (if you could
    get one) than it would cost to buy a new CRT.

    In article <uGc6e.84$bc2.52@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>, Gary C says...
    > My Viewsonic E90f went dead, just will not power up.
    > Starter button tries to start it, just there is no follow through.
    >
    > Holding the button in, doesn't help (trying to determine if it's the switch)
    > and I suspect the power supply.
    >
    > Question is, what type of a power supply is needed?

    You can't buy one..its part of the main circuit board.

    --
    Conor

    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.

    Gary C writes:

    > I can hear the tube start, just doesn't continue to warm.

    If you mean the thump that one hears when turning monitors on, that's
    just the degaussing of the screen; it doesn't necessarily mean that
    anything else works. The only other sound I've known CRTs in good order
    to make is a high-pitched whistle that (apparently) comes from the
    horizontal scan circuitry; if you have good hearing and the CRT is in a
    low-resolution, low-refresh mode such as CGA (a common default after the
    CRT is first turned on), you'll hear it. At modern resolutions and
    refresh rates, the horizontal frequency gets too high to hear once you
    send a video signal to the tube after boot, though.

    TIme to replace the monitor. Consider an LCD.

    "Phisherman" <nobody@noone.com> wrote in message
    > Consider an LCD.

    Why?
    I can buy a brand new Daewoo 19" CRT for $129 (USD)

    > On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 16:40:58 GMT, "Gary C"
    > <Clem_Kadiddlehopper@CrazyGooginhiemer.com> wrote:
    >
    > >My Viewsonic E90f went dead, just will not power up.
    > >Starter button tries to start it, just there is no follow through.
    > >
    > >Holding the button in, doesn't help (trying to determine if it's the
    switch)
    > >and I suspect the power supply.
    > >
    > >Question is, what type of a power supply is needed?
    > >I found this, but it doesn't help *me*
    > >Voltage AC 100-240V, 50/60Hz (+/- 3)
    > >Consumption 100W (typ), (auto switch)

    "Gary C" <Clem_Kadiddlehopper@CrazyGooginhiemer.com> wrote:
    > "Phisherman" <nobody@noone.com> wrote in message

    >> Consider an LCD.
    >
    > Why?
    > I can buy a brand new Daewoo 19" CRT for $129 (USD)

    Yeah, but you can have the same picture quality in an LCD monitor for
    $500.

    I would ask in an electronics groups about fixing your old monitor.

    sci.electronics.repair

    same picture quality my ass

    JAD wrote:
    > same picture quality my ass

    Perhaps, but how much does your ass cost?

    > "John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.love.invalid> wrote in message

    >>>Why?
    >>>I can buy a brand new Daewoo 19" CRT for $129 (USD)
    >>
    >>Yeah, but you can have the same picture quality in an LCD monitor for
    >>$500.
    >>
    >>I would ask in an electronics groups about fixing your old monitor.
    >>
    >>sci.electronics.repair

    well,,,lets me see....I imagine that there would be much sentimental
    value.... its the only thing left that still works right... priceless

    JAD wrote:

    > well,,,lets me see....I imagine that there would be much sentimental
    > value.... its the only thing left that still works right... priceless

    I see. Well, it being what still works probably explains it's perceived
    picture value;)

    > "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>JAD wrote:
    >>
    >>>same picture quality my ass
    >>
    >>Perhaps, but how much does your ass cost?
    >>

    >>>"John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.love.invalid> wrote in message

  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Gary C wrote:
    > "Phisherman" <nobody@noone.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Consider an LCD.
    >

    > Why?
    > I can buy a brand new Daewoo 19" CRT for $129 (USD)

    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=24-172-050&depa=1

    It's for a few dollars more for a IIyama 19" CRT than the Daewoo, and
    even without seeing the specs on the Daewoo I can pretty much guarantee
    you'll be happier with the IIyama (it will have better specs). It wont
    get that 'washed out' look for a long time.

    I've started to like LCD's, but the ones I like all end up in the 500+
    range. :(
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 23:55:10 GMT, John Doe <jdoe@usenet.love.invalid>
    wrote:

    >"Gary C" <Clem_Kadiddlehopper@CrazyGooginhiemer.com> wrote:
    >> "Phisherman" <nobody@noone.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>> Consider an LCD.
    >>
    >> Why?
    >> I can buy a brand new Daewoo 19" CRT for $129 (USD)
    >
    >Yeah, but you can have the same picture quality in an LCD monitor for
    >$500.

    depending upon what you want to do.

    for color critical applications, like graphic design, photography,
    most of the reports I've read, indicate LCDs cannot be properly color
    calibrated, in the manner CRTs can.

    that will probably change in the future.

    I just bought a LaCie Electron Blue 19" CRT that is truly wonderful.
    About $350.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    In article <1113313616.c3493639236c9c473faf06df8f1daed6@bubbanews>,
    PeeVee_Herman <edwardapplejacksmith@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 23:55:10 GMT, John Doe <jdoe@usenet.love.invalid>
    >wrote:

    >>> Why?
    >>> I can buy a brand new Daewoo 19" CRT for $129 (USD)
    >>
    >>Yeah, but you can have the same picture quality in an LCD monitor for
    >>$500.
    >

    >depending upon what you want to do.
    >
    >for color critical applications, like graphic design, photography,
    >most of the reports I've read, indicate LCDs cannot be properly color
    >calibrated, in the manner CRTs can.
    >
    >that will probably change in the future.
    >
    >I just bought a LaCie Electron Blue 19" CRT that is truly wonderful.
    >About $350.

    Viewsonic P95f+ 18 inch flat, with three intensity levels; normal,
    image work, and "lets watch a DVD movie". $250 Gorgeous.

    18" is a nice size. It fits on my desk which os more than can be said
    for any 19 inch monitor I've seen.

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "Timbertea" <timbusenet@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

    > http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=24-172-050&depa=1
    >
    > It's for a few dollars more for a IIyama 19" CRT than the Daewoo, and

    hehehehehe. yeah .. $7
    And then consider city and state taxes v's shipping, it's a wash!.

    > even without seeing the specs on the Daewoo I can pretty much guarantee
    > you'll be happier with the IIyama (it will have better specs). It wont
    > get that 'washed out' look for a long time.

    I've read about that monitor before in a value upgrade content.

    > I've started to like LCD's, but the ones I like all end up in the 500+
    > range. :(

    Exactly, and to save a few inches on the desk.

    All my life I wanted MORE inches, not less :-)
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On 12 Apr 2005 10:45:12 -0400, adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:

    >In article <1113313616.c3493639236c9c473faf06df8f1daed6@bubbanews>,
    >PeeVee_Herman <edwardapplejacksmith@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 23:55:10 GMT, John Doe <jdoe@usenet.love.invalid>
    >>wrote:

    >>>Yeah, but you can have the same picture quality in an LCD monitor for
    >>>$500.
    >>

    >>depending upon what you want to do.
    >>
    >>for color critical applications, like graphic design, photography,
    >>most of the reports I've read, indicate LCDs cannot be properly color
    >>calibrated, in the manner CRTs can.
    >>
    >>that will probably change in the future.
    >>
    >>I just bought a LaCie Electron Blue 19" CRT that is truly wonderful.
    >>About $350.
    >>

    >Viewsonic P95f+ 18 inch flat, with three intensity levels; normal,
    >image work, and "lets watch a DVD movie". $250 Gorgeous.
    >
    >18" is a nice size. It fits on my desk which os more than can be said
    >for any 19 inch monitor I've seen.

    I dont know about the P95f+.... I had a big viewsonic 21" P815 for
    years, that eventually got too old to be realistically color
    calibrated. Pretty nice monitor for its time tho.

    It was replaced with a Viewsonic 19" E90f+ which is not all that good,
    certainly in comparison to this LaCie. And it has the superbright mode
    for DVD. Unfortunately its green cannon is fixed, making it useless
    for color calibration. Its black is not very rich either.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Gary C wrote:
    > "Timbertea" <timbusenet@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=24-172-050&depa=1
    >>
    >>It's for a few dollars more for a IIyama 19" CRT than the Daewoo, and
    >

    > hehehehehe. yeah .. $7
    > And then consider city and state taxes v's shipping, it's a wash!.
    >

    >>even without seeing the specs on the Daewoo I can pretty much guarantee
    >>you'll be happier with the IIyama (it will have better specs). It wont
    >>get that 'washed out' look for a long time.
    >

    > I've read about that monitor before in a value upgrade content.
    >

    >>I've started to like LCD's, but the ones I like all end up in the 500+
    >>range. :(
    >

    > Exactly, and to save a few inches on the desk.
    >
    > All my life I wanted MORE inches, not less :-)

    I think the ideal desk if you have the room is a nearly full semi-circle
    with space in the center for you to operate. That way you can have your
    3-4 displays in a nice panoramic, printer/copier/fax, phone, and it's
    all within reach without having to get up out of your chair. A few
    custom holes to run the wiring & power out of sight and it's home office
    nirvana.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Timbertea <timbusenet@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    > I think the ideal desk if you have the room is a nearly full
    > semi-circle with space in the center for you to operate. That
    > way you can have your 3-4 displays in a nice panoramic,
    > printer/copier/fax, phone, and it's all within reach without
    > having to get up out of your chair. A few custom holes to run
    > the wiring & power out of sight and it's home office nirvana.

    I don't know about home-office Nirvana, but home recreation
    Nirvana is lying on a Coleman airbed** with one large monitor
    angled downwards hanging directly over my belly and another
    monitor just right of that. A cordless mouse resting on a thin
    flat square piece of plastic/wood on either side and a
    cordless/split keyboard lying on my belly (you do have to touch
    type). Also a cordless game pad and a cordless joystick which
    securely attaches to the mouse platform.

    --
    ** http://tinyurl.com/6582a

    Those are real, uncensored opinions. However eccentric it sounds,
    it must be the best-kept secret in Dreamland.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "PeeVee_Herman" <edwardapplejacksmith@yahoo.com> wrote in message >
    > It was replaced with a Viewsonic 19" E90f+ which is not all that good,

    That's what dies on me.
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > I don't know about home-office Nirvana, but home recreation
    > Nirvana is lying on a Coleman airbed** with one large monitor
    > angled downwards hanging directly over my belly and another
    > monitor just right of that. A cordless mouse resting on a thin
    > flat square piece of plastic/wood on either side and a
    > cordless/split keyboard lying on my belly (you do have to touch
    > type). Also a cordless game pad and a cordless joystick which
    > securely attaches to the mouse platform.

    What about the cordless ice bucket for the cordless beer?

    > --
    > ** http://tinyurl.com/6582a
    >
    > Those are real, uncensored opinions. However eccentric it sounds,
    > it must be the best-kept secret in Dreamland.

  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "Gary C" <Clem_Kadiddlehopper@CrazyGooginhiemer.com> wrote:
    > "John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.love.invalid> wrote in message

    >> I don't know about home-office Nirvana, but home recreation
    >> Nirvana is lying on a Coleman airbed** with one large monitor
    >> angled downwards hanging directly over my belly and another
    >> monitor just right of that. A cordless mouse resting on a thin
    >> flat square piece of plastic/wood on either side and a
    >> cordless/split keyboard lying on my belly (you do have to touch
    >> type). Also a cordless game pad and a cordless joystick which
    >> securely attaches to the mouse platform.

    > What about the cordless ice bucket for the cordless beer?

    I don't drink while lying down on-the-job.

    >> --
    >> ** http://tinyurl.com/6582a
    >>
    >> Those are real, uncensored opinions. However eccentric it sounds,
    >> it must be the best-kept secret in Dreamland.

  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > "Gary C" <Clem_Kadiddlehopper@CrazyGooginhiemer.com> wrote:
    > > "John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.love.invalid> wrote in message
    >
    > >> I don't know about home-office Nirvana, but home recreation
    > >> Nirvana is lying on a Coleman airbed** with one large monitor
    > >> angled downwards hanging directly over my belly and another
    > >> monitor just right of that. A cordless mouse resting on a thin
    > >> flat square piece of plastic/wood on either side and a
    > >> cordless/split keyboard lying on my belly (you do have to touch
    > >> type). Also a cordless game pad and a cordless joystick which
    > >> securely attaches to the mouse platform.
    >
    > > What about the cordless ice bucket for the cordless beer?
    >
    > I don't drink while lying down on-the-job.

    I don't blame you .... too easy to spill the nectar of the Gods :-)

    > >> --
    > >> ** http://tinyurl.com/6582a
    > >>
    > >> Those are real, uncensored opinions. However eccentric it sounds,
    > >> it must be the best-kept secret in Dreamland.

  26. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    T <tberk@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    > It's the TUBE which is the greatest danger. Even when discharged
    > correctly they can regenerate a hefty dose of electricity just from
    > common static, over time.
    >
    > How does 10 to Thirty THOUSAND volts or more in your own personal
    > lightning bolt grab ya?

    I once read that the discharge when touching a TV set can easily be in
    the Megavolt range. The main reason for people not dying from touching
    their TVs is that the amperage is minute.

    > The answer has already been given, if you are posting here you don't
    > know enough to avoid trouble.

    No argument there. IMO, unless it is a very fine device, it is hardly
    worth having it repaired, much less risking life and/or limb by doing it
    oneself.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > It's the TUBE which is the greatest danger. Even when discharged correctly they can regenerate a hefty dose of electricity just from common static, over time.
    >
    > How does 10 to Thirty THOUSAND volts or more in your own personal lightning bolt grab ya?

    Yowsa! Do it again.
  28. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    In article <Ymc7e.14117$Ln.629519@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>,
    Al Smith <invalid@address.com> wrote:
    >> It's the TUBE which is the greatest danger. Even when discharged correctly they can regenerate a hefty dose of electricity just from common static, over time.
    >>
    >> How does 10 to Thirty THOUSAND volts or more in your own personal lightning bolt grab ya?
    >
    >Yowsa! Do it again.

    Back in the day when TVs were large, went to the repair shop once in a
    while, and I was a kid, our set died and, becuase the cabinet was too
    large to get in the car Pop pulled the chassis out and put it in the
    rear seat and we drive to the shop with me riding in the back. At some
    point I touched the CRT and got a shock that I'll never forget. I'll
    not open a CRT without taking _all_ the discharge and other safety
    steps. (As an adult I've worked on open bussbar 440V systems that
    would kill instantly.)
    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

Homebuilt Power Supplies Switch CRT Monitors Systems Product