My Viewsonic E90f went dead, just will not power up.
Starter button tries to start it, just there is no follow through.

Holding the button in, doesn't help (trying to determine if it's the switch)
and I suspect the power supply.

Question is, what type of a power supply is needed?
I found this, but it doesn't help *me*
Voltage AC 100-240V, 50/60Hz (+/- 3)
Consumption 100W (typ), (auto switch)

Gary C
Ken gives good advice, but from experience, I've found that
replacing a monitor going south is the best way to go.
LCDs are now coming down in price.

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Gary C wrote:
> My Viewsonic E90f went dead, just will not power up.
> Starter button tries to start it, just there is no follow through.
>
> Holding the button in, doesn't help (trying to determine if it's the switch)
> and I suspect the power supply.
>
> Question is, what type of a power supply is needed?
> I found this, but it doesn't help *me*
> Voltage AC 100-240V, 50/60Hz (+/- 3)
> Consumption 100W (typ), (auto switch)

If you are sure that your monitor is the problem by substituting
another monitor, your symptoms sound like the monitor is going into an
over current condition. That is, it senses too much current being drawn
and prevents power from coming all the way up. Unless you are
knowledgeable in electronics and have the proper tools, I would replace
the monitor or have it repaired, whichever is most cost efficient.

Of course substitute another monitor before anything if you have not
already done so.

In article <A5d6e.553399$w62.372999@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
Ken <user@domain.invalid> wrote:
>Gary C wrote:
>> My Viewsonic E90f went dead, just will not power up.
>> Starter button tries to start it, just there is no follow through.
>>
>> Holding the button in, doesn't help (trying to determine if it's the switch)
>> and I suspect the power supply.
>>
>> Question is, what type of a power supply is needed?
>> I found this, but it doesn't help *me*
>> Voltage AC 100-240V, 50/60Hz (+/- 3)
>> Consumption 100W (typ), (auto switch)
>>

> If you are sure that your monitor is the problem by substituting
>another monitor, your symptoms sound like the monitor is going into an
>over current condition. That is, it senses too much current being drawn
>and prevents power from coming all the way up. Unless you are
>knowledgeable in electronics and have the proper tools, I would replace
>the monitor or have it repaired, whichever is most cost efficient.
>
> Of course substitute another monitor before anything if you have not
>already done so.

Make sure the power cord is solidly in it's socket.

The power supply isn't a user-replacememt item on a CRT and if you
knew how to do it you wouldn't be posting this message here.

How old is the monitor? If it's out of warranty it's probably not
worth fixing. The dumpsters and used computer dealers are flodded
with usable CRT monitors these days because people are buying LCD
monitors.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

Gary C wrote:
> My Viewsonic E90f went dead, just will not power up.
> Starter button tries to start it, just there is no follow through.

What does 'tries to start' but no follow through mean?

> Holding the button in, doesn't help (trying to determine if it's the switch)
> and I suspect the power supply.

Unlikely to be the switch if it gets as far as 'trying'.

Just about anything can be wrong depending on what 'tries' to come on means
but capacitor failure and component drift are common problems. A failed
capacitor can screw up the voltages so one of the safety shutdown
mechanisms kicks in, in particular the high voltage drive that, if too
high, creates x-rays from the tube face so there is usually a voltage
detector there to kill it if it over volts. Component drift can cause the
same thing if it drifts out of the acceptable voltage range.

Of course, any number of failed components can cause an over current on any
number of internal voltages causing a shutdown too; If 'no follow through'
means it turns itself back off but your symptom description just isn't
detailed enough.

If it powers up but 'no picture', I've repaired a few monitors like that
which simply needed the low voltage (electronics section) power supply
filter capacitor replaced. The large value electrolytic fails (probably
because of heat) and with high ripple DC the electronics simply doesn't
function properly (might notice a dim, almost raster, glow from the tube in
a completely dark room, or nothing at all).

Working inside a monitor is hazardous, however, because there are lethal
high voltages present and they don't just 'go away' when the power is off.
Capacitors can hold a dangerous charge for quite a while.

From a cost standpoint, a 19 inch monitor is borderline for taking to a
repair shop as it's almost as much to repair, depending on what's wrong, as
it is to buy a new one.

> Question is, what type of a power supply is needed?
> I found this, but it doesn't help *me*
> Voltage AC 100-240V, 50/60Hz (+/- 3)
> Consumption 100W (typ), (auto switch)

Monitors are not like PCs where you can go buy a 'standard ATX' power
supply replacement; they are specific to the monitor.

Gary C writes:

> My Viewsonic E90f went dead, just will not power up.
> Starter button tries to start it, just there is no follow through.
>
> Holding the button in, doesn't help (trying to determine if it's the switch)
> and I suspect the power supply.
>
> Question is, what type of a power supply is needed?
> I found this, but it doesn't help *me*
> Voltage AC 100-240V, 50/60Hz (+/- 3)
> Consumption 100W (typ), (auto switch)

Just replace it. Even new CRT monitors are extremely inexpensive these
days, as everyone rushes to buy flat-panel displays. CRTs contain a lot
high-voltage, nasty stuff and aren't readily user-serviceable. And if
the tube is the problem, you'd spend more on a new tube (if you could
get one) than it would cost to buy a new CRT.

In article <uGc6e.84$bc2.52@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>, Gary C says...
> My Viewsonic E90f went dead, just will not power up.
> Starter button tries to start it, just there is no follow through.
>
> Holding the button in, doesn't help (trying to determine if it's the switch)
> and I suspect the power supply.
>
> Question is, what type of a power supply is needed?

You can't buy one..its part of the main circuit board.

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.

Gary C writes:

> I can hear the tube start, just doesn't continue to warm.

If you mean the thump that one hears when turning monitors on, that's
just the degaussing of the screen; it doesn't necessarily mean that
anything else works. The only other sound I've known CRTs in good order
to make is a high-pitched whistle that (apparently) comes from the
horizontal scan circuitry; if you have good hearing and the CRT is in a
low-resolution, low-refresh mode such as CGA (a common default after the
CRT is first turned on), you'll hear it. At modern resolutions and
refresh rates, the horizontal frequency gets too high to hear once you
send a video signal to the tube after boot, though.

Phisherman

TIme to replace the monitor. Consider an LCD.

"Phisherman" <nobody@noone.com> wrote in message
> Consider an LCD.

Why?
I can buy a brand new Daewoo 19" CRT for $129 (USD)

> On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 16:40:58 GMT, "Gary C"
> <Clem_Kadiddlehopper@CrazyGooginhiemer.com> wrote:
>
> >My Viewsonic E90f went dead, just will not power up.
> >Starter button tries to start it, just there is no follow through.
> >
> >Holding the button in, doesn't help (trying to determine if it's the
switch)
> >and I suspect the power supply.
> >
> >Question is, what type of a power supply is needed?
> >I found this, but it doesn't help *me*
> >Voltage AC 100-240V, 50/60Hz (+/- 3)
> >Consumption 100W (typ), (auto switch)

"Gary C" <Clem_Kadiddlehopper@CrazyGooginhiemer.com> wrote:
> "Phisherman" <nobody@noone.com> wrote in message

>> Consider an LCD.
>
> Why?
> I can buy a brand new Daewoo 19" CRT for $129 (USD)

Yeah, but you can have the same picture quality in an LCD monitor for
$500.

I would ask in an electronics groups about fixing your old monitor.

sci.electronics.repair

jad

same picture quality my ass

JAD wrote:
> same picture quality my ass

Perhaps, but how much does your ass cost?

> "John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.love.invalid> wrote in message

>>>Why?
>>>I can buy a brand new Daewoo 19" CRT for $129 (USD)
>>
>>Yeah, but you can have the same picture quality in an LCD monitor for
>>$500.
>>
>>I would ask in an electronics groups about fixing your old monitor.
>>
>>sci.electronics.repair

jad

well,,,lets me see....I imagine that there would be much sentimental
value.... its the only thing left that still works right... priceless

JAD wrote:

> well,,,lets me see....I imagine that there would be much sentimental
> value.... its the only thing left that still works right... priceless

I see. Well, it being what still works probably explains it's perceived
picture value;)

Gary C wrote:
> "Phisherman" <nobody@noone.com> wrote in message
>
>>Consider an LCD.
>

> Why?
> I can buy a brand new Daewoo 19" CRT for $129 (USD)

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=24-172-050&depa=1

It's for a few dollars more for a IIyama 19" CRT than the Daewoo, and
even without seeing the specs on the Daewoo I can pretty much guarantee
you'll be happier with the IIyama (it will have better specs). It wont
get that 'washed out' look for a long time.

I've started to like LCD's, but the ones I like all end up in the 500+
range. :(

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 23:55:10 GMT, John Doe <jdoe@usenet.love.invalid>
wrote:

>"Gary C" <Clem_Kadiddlehopper@CrazyGooginhiemer.com> wrote:
>> "Phisherman" <nobody@noone.com> wrote in message
>
>>> Consider an LCD.
>>
>> Why?
>> I can buy a brand new Daewoo 19" CRT for $129 (USD)
>
>Yeah, but you can have the same picture quality in an LCD monitor for
>$500.

depending upon what you want to do.

for color critical applications, like graphic design, photography,
most of the reports I've read, indicate LCDs cannot be properly color
calibrated, in the manner CRTs can.

that will probably change in the future.

I just bought a LaCie Electron Blue 19" CRT that is truly wonderful.
About $350.

In article <1113313616.c3493639236c9c473faf06df8f1daed6@bubbanews>,
PeeVee_Herman <edwardapplejacksmith@yahoo.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 23:55:10 GMT, John Doe <jdoe@usenet.love.invalid>
>wrote:

>>> Why?
>>> I can buy a brand new Daewoo 19" CRT for $129 (USD)
>>
>>Yeah, but you can have the same picture quality in an LCD monitor for
>>$500.
>

>depending upon what you want to do.
>
>for color critical applications, like graphic design, photography,
>most of the reports I've read, indicate LCDs cannot be properly color
>calibrated, in the manner CRTs can.
>
>that will probably change in the future.
>
>I just bought a LaCie Electron Blue 19" CRT that is truly wonderful.
>About $350.

Viewsonic P95f+ 18 inch flat, with three intensity levels; normal,
image work, and "lets watch a DVD movie". $250 Gorgeous.

18" is a nice size. It fits on my desk which os more than can be said
for any 19 inch monitor I've seen.

--

"Timbertea" <timbusenet@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=24-172-050&depa=1
>
> It's for a few dollars more for a IIyama 19" CRT than the Daewoo, and

hehehehehe. yeah .. $7
And then consider city and state taxes v's shipping, it's a wash!.

> even without seeing the specs on the Daewoo I can pretty much guarantee
> you'll be happier with the IIyama (it will have better specs). It wont
> get that 'washed out' look for a long time.

I've read about that monitor before in a value upgrade content.

> I've started to like LCD's, but the ones I like all end up in the 500+
> range. :(

Exactly, and to save a few inches on the desk.

All my life I wanted MORE inches, not less :)

On 12 Apr 2005 10:45:12 -0400, adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:

>In article <1113313616.c3493639236c9c473faf06df8f1daed6@bubbanews>,
>PeeVee_Herman <edwardapplejacksmith@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 23:55:10 GMT, John Doe <jdoe@usenet.love.invalid>
>>wrote:

>>>Yeah, but you can have the same picture quality in an LCD monitor for
>>>$500.
>>

>>depending upon what you want to do.
>>
>>for color critical applications, like graphic design, photography,
>>most of the reports I've read, indicate LCDs cannot be properly color
>>calibrated, in the manner CRTs can.
>>
>>that will probably change in the future.
>>
>>I just bought a LaCie Electron Blue 19" CRT that is truly wonderful.
>>About $350.
>>

>Viewsonic P95f+ 18 inch flat, with three intensity levels; normal,
>image work, and "lets watch a DVD movie". $250 Gorgeous.
>
>18" is a nice size. It fits on my desk which os more than can be said
>for any 19 inch monitor I've seen.

I dont know about the P95f+.... I had a big viewsonic 21" P815 for
years, that eventually got too old to be realistically color
calibrated. Pretty nice monitor for its time tho.

It was replaced with a Viewsonic 19" E90f+ which is not all that good,
certainly in comparison to this LaCie. And it has the superbright mode
for DVD. Unfortunately its green cannon is fixed, making it useless
for color calibration. Its black is not very rich either.

Gary C wrote:
> "Timbertea" <timbusenet@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>
>>http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=24-172-050&depa=1
>>
>>It's for a few dollars more for a IIyama 19" CRT than the Daewoo, and
>

> hehehehehe. yeah .. $7
> And then consider city and state taxes v's shipping, it's a wash!.
>

>>even without seeing the specs on the Daewoo I can pretty much guarantee
>>you'll be happier with the IIyama (it will have better specs). It wont
>>get that 'washed out' look for a long time.
>

> I've read about that monitor before in a value upgrade content.
>

>>I've started to like LCD's, but the ones I like all end up in the 500+
>>range. :(
>

> Exactly, and to save a few inches on the desk.
>
> All my life I wanted MORE inches, not less :)

I think the ideal desk if you have the room is a nearly full semi-circle
with space in the center for you to operate. That way you can have your
3-4 displays in a nice panoramic, printer/copier/fax, phone, and it's
all within reach without having to get up out of your chair. A few
custom holes to run the wiring & power out of sight and it's home office
nirvana.

Timbertea <timbusenet@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I think the ideal desk if you have the room is a nearly full
> semi-circle with space in the center for you to operate. That
> way you can have your 3-4 displays in a nice panoramic,
> printer/copier/fax, phone, and it's all within reach without
> having to get up out of your chair. A few custom holes to run
> the wiring & power out of sight and it's home office nirvana.

I don't know about home-office Nirvana, but home recreation
Nirvana is lying on a Coleman airbed** with one large monitor
angled downwards hanging directly over my belly and another
monitor just right of that. A cordless mouse resting on a thin
flat square piece of plastic/wood on either side and a
cordless/split keyboard lying on my belly (you do have to touch
type). Also a cordless game pad and a cordless joystick which
securely attaches to the mouse platform.

--
** http://tinyurl.com/6582a

Those are real, uncensored opinions. However eccentric it sounds,
it must be the best-kept secret in Dreamland.

"PeeVee_Herman" <edwardapplejacksmith@yahoo.com> wrote in message >
> It was replaced with a Viewsonic 19" E90f+ which is not all that good,

That's what dies on me.

> I don't know about home-office Nirvana, but home recreation
> Nirvana is lying on a Coleman airbed** with one large monitor
> angled downwards hanging directly over my belly and another
> monitor just right of that. A cordless mouse resting on a thin
> flat square piece of plastic/wood on either side and a
> cordless/split keyboard lying on my belly (you do have to touch
> type). Also a cordless game pad and a cordless joystick which
> securely attaches to the mouse platform.

What about the cordless ice bucket for the cordless beer?

> --
> ** http://tinyurl.com/6582a
>
> Those are real, uncensored opinions. However eccentric it sounds,
> it must be the best-kept secret in Dreamland.

"Gary C" <Clem_Kadiddlehopper@CrazyGooginhiemer.com> wrote:
> "John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.love.invalid> wrote in message

>> I don't know about home-office Nirvana, but home recreation
>> Nirvana is lying on a Coleman airbed** with one large monitor
>> angled downwards hanging directly over my belly and another
>> monitor just right of that. A cordless mouse resting on a thin
>> flat square piece of plastic/wood on either side and a
>> cordless/split keyboard lying on my belly (you do have to touch
>> type). Also a cordless game pad and a cordless joystick which
>> securely attaches to the mouse platform.

> What about the cordless ice bucket for the cordless beer?

I don't drink while lying down on-the-job.