Too much time in welcome screen

Hello,
I have built a PC on my own. The configuration is: AMD Sempron 2800 + K7VTA3 MB, 120GB HDD, 1GB RAM, FDD, CD-RW, DVD RW, 4MB AGP, V92 Fax/Modem, Firewire card, Windows XP Home.
The problem is that after I boot it, the computer is stuck in the XP Welcome screen for about 2 mins (I havn't put any password) before it enters inside. I don't have too many startup apps running either. Is there a way to find out why the computer is getting stuck?

I have tried looking at Event Viewer, but there is no error either. Any pointers are appreciated.
Thanks.
-Samik
10 answers Last reply
More about time screen

    most of the time its piece of hardware and its unsigned driver or the
    antivirus auto protect loading up. Are you on a LAN? do you have high
    security settings in your firewall?

    On 4/10/2005 2:31 PM, JAD wrote:
    > most of the time its piece of hardware and its unsigned driver or the
    > antivirus auto protect loading up. Are you on a LAN? do you have high
    > security settings in your firewall?

    I have Kerio Personal Firewall. I am using it on my laptop also, w/o any such delay. I am on LAN. Is there any implication for that?
    Is there any way to find out which hardware is the offending piece, or if it is the Norton AV?
    Thanks for replying.
    -Samik

    when you have a LAN + XP + XP's firewall + your own firewall+ (IMO anything
    norton) your settings for those things will affect your boot time.

    The infamous spywares / browser hijackers can cause problems.

    Check the events log for something that may not be loading.

    Samik Raychaudhuri wrote:

    > On 4/10/2005 2:31 PM, JAD wrote:
    >
    >> most of the time its piece of hardware and its unsigned driver or the
    >> antivirus auto protect loading up. Are you on a LAN? do you have high
    >> security settings in your firewall?
    >>
    > I have Kerio Personal Firewall. I am using it on my laptop also, w/o any
    > such delay. I am on LAN. Is there any implication for that?
    > Is there any way to find out which hardware is the offending piece, or
    > if it is the Norton AV?
    > Thanks for replying.
    > -Samik

    LAN problems, or having a NIC active with no LAN, are common 'large delay'
    culprits as the system is waiting for something to time-out, such as a DHCP
    request or some other LAN activity.

    First thing is sever the internet connection (so you're not wide open to
    attack) and turn off the firewalls to see if they're blocking something.

    And to emphasize severing the internet connection, the delay could also be
    a virus or trojan trying to 'phone home' but blocked by the firewall.

    As a side note, two firewalls on the one PC is not only a waste but
    needlessly complicates potential configuration problems. If your LAN goes
    to the internet through a cable or DSL modem you should have your primary
    firewall at the router and, in that case, XP's built in firewall is
    sufficient on the local PC for inter-LAN protection.

    On 4/10/2005 6:50 PM, David Maynard wrote:

    > LAN problems, or having a NIC active with no LAN, are common 'large
    > delay' culprits as the system is waiting for something to time-out, such
    > as a DHCP request or some other LAN activity.
    >
    > First thing is sever the internet connection (so you're not wide open to
    > attack) and turn off the firewalls to see if they're blocking something.
    >
    > And to emphasize severing the internet connection, the delay could also
    > be a virus or trojan trying to 'phone home' but blocked by the firewall.
    >
    > As a side note, two firewalls on the one PC is not only a waste but
    > needlessly complicates potential configuration problems. If your LAN
    > goes to the internet through a cable or DSL modem you should have your
    > primary firewall at the router and, in that case, XP's built in firewall
    > is sufficient on the local PC for inter-LAN protection.

    Thanks for all the suggestions. BTW, I am only running Kerio, not the XP firewall. Yes I am connected through internet using a DSL and a router. And there is a firewall setting on the router also, so Kerio might be a overkill.
    DHCP hint by David was an excellant suggestion. I looked at system event log again, and found a warning (I saw that before but thought it was not important). The warning looks like this:

    Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Dhcp
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1003
    Date: 4/10/2005
    Time: 11:29:55 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: ABCD
    Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 000D87695DBA. The following error occurred:
    The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 79 00 00 00 y...

    I am kind of sure about virus/trojan as NAV is regularly updated and I have regular schedule for ad-aware too.

    I will test all the suggestions and report back.
    Regards,
    -Samik

    On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 14:41:17 -0600 If I have seen farther it is
    because I have stood on the shoulder of giants Samik Raychaudhuri
    <samik@frKKshKll.org> wrote :

    >Hello,
    >I have built a PC on my own. The configuration is: AMD Sempron 2800 + K7VTA3 MB, 120GB HDD, 1GB RAM, FDD, CD-RW, DVD RW, 4MB AGP, V92 Fax/Modem, Firewire card, Windows XP Home.
    >The problem is that after I boot it, the computer is stuck in the XP Welcome screen for about 2 mins (I havn't put any password) before it enters inside. I don't have too many startup apps running either. Is there a way to find out why the computer is getting stuck?
    >
    >I have tried looking at Event Viewer, but there is no error either. Any pointers are appreciated.
    >Thanks.
    >-Samik

    http://www.greatis.com/security/bootlog.htm

    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    remove obvious to reply

    If you ever have a problem with that again you can use BreakPoint to
    tell you the status of your lan. It's made by Cenobix at
    www.cenobix.com. You configure the tool anyway you want to match your
    network.

    NetMan

    what you want is BootVIS. Its a tool written by Microsoft to analyze windows
    startup times. See here for info (not to download):
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/sysperf/fastboot/bootvis.mspx

    Do a google to download, its available all over the net.

    Samik Raychaudhuri wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I have built a PC on my own. The configuration is: AMD Sempron 2800 +
    > K7VTA3 MB, 120GB HDD, 1GB RAM, FDD, CD-RW, DVD RW, 4MB AGP, V92
    > Fax/Modem, Firewire card, Windows XP Home. The problem is that after I
    > boot it, the computer is stuck in the XP
    > Welcome screen for about 2 mins (I havn't put any password) before it
    > enters inside. I don't have too many startup apps running either. Is
    > there a way to find out why the computer is getting stuck?
    > I have tried looking at Event Viewer, but there is no error either.
    > Any pointers are appreciated. Thanks.
    > -Samik

    Hi all,

    Rob is right, BootVis is great for optimizing boot performance. Do a trace /
    reboot, and then "optimize system". Should speed up boot performance ...

    Sem

    "Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > what you want is BootVIS. Its a tool written by Microsoft to analyze
    windows
    > startup times. See here for info (not to download):
    > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/sysperf/fastboot/bootvis.mspx
    >
    > Do a google to download, its available all over the net.
    >
    > Samik Raychaudhuri wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > > I have built a PC on my own. The configuration is: AMD Sempron 2800 +
    > > K7VTA3 MB, 120GB HDD, 1GB RAM, FDD, CD-RW, DVD RW, 4MB AGP, V92
    > > Fax/Modem, Firewire card, Windows XP Home. The problem is that after I
    > > boot it, the computer is stuck in the XP
    > > Welcome screen for about 2 mins (I havn't put any password) before it
    > > enters inside. I don't have too many startup apps running either. Is
    > > there a way to find out why the computer is getting stuck?
    > > I have tried looking at Event Viewer, but there is no error either.
    > > Any pointers are appreciated. Thanks.
    > > -Samik

    On 4/10/2005 6:50 PM, David Maynard wrote:

    > LAN problems, or having a NIC active with no LAN, are common 'large
    > delay' culprits as the system is waiting for something to time-out, such
    > as a DHCP request or some other LAN activity.

    Ok, I have now confirmed that DHCP service is the culprit. I took off the LAN wire and the computer booted superfast.
    Now I am not sure how to resolve the issue of 'DHCP timeout'. I am starting another thread with this problem. Hope to get some help there.
    Thanks again guys.
    -Samik

Homebuilt Systems