ME reinstall

I''ve been experiencing lots of problems but I got to a point of the
extracting vmm32.vxd from my win cd and almost getting it to boot. It's
stuck in a safemode loop...when I start it up it goes into safemode and says
the pc didn't start properly last time so use safemode. The only problem is
it doesn't go into safemode but just restarts back to the safemode menu. Any
ideas on that?
I was going to breakdown and check reinstalling windows with the cd that
came with my pc. It won't let me. I am following the guide that came with
the pc and reinstallation cd. It says "an OS is already installed and you
can't use this version of setup...you need the ME upgrade". Why would it do
that?
6 answers Last reply
More about reinstall

    Sorry...it says exactly....windows did not finish loading on the previous
    attempt, not that it didn't start properly.

    "Leigh" wrote:

    > I''ve been experiencing lots of problems but I got to a point of the
    > extracting vmm32.vxd from my win cd and almost getting it to boot. It's
    > stuck in a safemode loop...when I start it up it goes into safemode and says
    > the pc didn't start properly last time so use safemode. The only problem is
    > it doesn't go into safemode but just restarts back to the safemode menu. Any
    > ideas on that?
    > I was going to breakdown and check reinstalling windows with the cd that
    > came with my pc. It won't let me. I am following the guide that came with
    > the pc and reinstallation cd. It says "an OS is already installed and you
    > can't use this version of setup...you need the ME upgrade". Why would it do
    > that?

    Leigh
    Please see the thread started by Chris Fraser - "Reload WINME form OEM hard
    drive CAB files" 27/08/05
    where this exact situation is already being dealt with for Chris.

    What I'd like to know is where this rash of VMM32 removals was advised???

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    "Leigh" <Leigh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Sorry...it says exactly....windows did not finish loading on the previous
    > attempt, not that it didn't start properly.
    >
    > "Leigh" wrote:
    >
    >> I''ve been experiencing lots of problems but I got to a point of the
    >> extracting vmm32.vxd from my win cd and almost getting it to boot. It's
    >> stuck in a safemode loop...when I start it up it goes into safemode and
    >> says
    >> the pc didn't start properly last time so use safemode. The only problem
    >> is
    >> it doesn't go into safemode but just restarts back to the safemode menu.
    >> Any
    >> ideas on that?
    >> I was going to breakdown and check reinstalling windows with the cd that
    >> came with my pc. It won't let me. I am following the guide that came
    >> with
    >> the pc and reinstallation cd. It says "an OS is already installed and
    >> you
    >> can't use this version of setup...you need the ME upgrade". Why would it
    >> do
    >> that?

    Thanks Noel. I didn't deliberately remove the original file and, my fault, I
    misunderstood the thread you refer to as meaning he installed from cabs on
    his HD and that by extracting from my ME reinstallation CD I'd be getting a
    good file.
    I appreciate your reply.

    "Noel Paton" wrote:

    > Leigh
    > Please see the thread started by Chris Fraser - "Reload WINME form OEM hard
    > drive CAB files" 27/08/05
    > where this exact situation is already being dealt with for Chris.
    >
    > What I'd like to know is where this rash of VMM32 removals was advised???
    >

    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "Leigh" <Leigh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Sorry...it says exactly....windows did not finish loading on the previous
    > > attempt, not that it didn't start properly.
    > >
    > > "Leigh" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I''ve been experiencing lots of problems but I got to a point of the
    > >> extracting vmm32.vxd from my win cd and almost getting it to boot. It's
    > >> stuck in a safemode loop...when I start it up it goes into safemode and
    > >> says
    > >> the pc didn't start properly last time so use safemode. The only problem
    > >> is
    > >> it doesn't go into safemode but just restarts back to the safemode menu.
    > >> Any
    > >> ideas on that?
    > >> I was going to breakdown and check reinstalling windows with the cd that
    > >> came with my pc. It won't let me. I am following the guide that came
    > >> with
    > >> the pc and reinstallation cd. It says "an OS is already installed and
    > >> you
    > >> can't use this version of setup...you need the ME upgrade". Why would it
    > >> do
    > >> that?

    Leigh <Leigh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Thanks Noel. I didn't deliberately remove the original file and, my
    > fault, I misunderstood the thread you refer to as meaning he
    > installed from cabs on his HD and that by extracting from my ME
    > reinstallation CD I'd be getting a good file.
    > I appreciate your reply.

    Not at all. The file vmm32.vxd contained in the Win Me cab set is not a
    replacement for the one you have deleted. May I suggest you read the
    thread Noel referred you to again.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Thanks Mike,
    I have reread it, disguised the file and I'm back to where I was yesterday,
    can't boot past getting a message its corrupted or missing. I'm not sure
    what corrupted or deleted my vmm32. I will probably borrow an external
    enclosure drive device and transfer anything not backed up to a diff pc.
    Thanks

    "Mike M" wrote:

    > Leigh <Leigh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks Noel. I didn't deliberately remove the original file and, my
    > > fault, I misunderstood the thread you refer to as meaning he
    > > installed from cabs on his HD and that by extracting from my ME
    > > reinstallation CD I'd be getting a good file.
    > > I appreciate your reply.
    >
    > Not at all. The file vmm32.vxd contained in the Win Me cab set is not a
    > replacement for the one you have deleted. May I suggest you read the
    > thread Noel referred you to again.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Leigh,

    There are a number of possible reasons why you might see a message saying
    that vmm32.vxd is either missing, damaged or cannot load. These include:

    KB 258471 - "Error Message: The Following File Is Missing or Corrupted:
    C:\Windows\Ifshlp.sys" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=258471) where
    the problem can be due to problems with ifshlp.sys or imagehlp.dll or an
    incorrect entry in msdos.sys (unlikely if the system was previously
    booting OK), and, less likely,
    KB 191874 - "Error Message: VMM32.VXD: Missing/Unable to Load"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=191874).

    Before attempting to reinstall Win Me I would look into replacing your
    existing copies of ifshlp.sys and imagehlp.dll and seeing if this helps
    with your problem.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Leigh <Leigh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Thanks Mike,
    > I have reread it, disguised the file and I'm back to where I was
    > yesterday, can't boot past getting a message its corrupted or
    > missing. I'm not sure what corrupted or deleted my vmm32. I will
    > probably borrow an external enclosure drive device and transfer
    > anything not backed up to a diff pc. Thanks

CD-Rom Safemode Microsoft Windows