More about acrobat reader

    From: "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org>

    | 7.0 opens a lot quicker.

    That's because it keeps a stub running in the background.

    "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe"

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    From: "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net>

    | It pays to be informed, Dave, doesn't it?
    |
    | Harry.

    Sometimes it pays { $$ } handsomely. ;-)

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    It may depend on the version. Many do not install later versions due
    to questionable programs etc. that be installed with it.
    Read a few of these and make up your own mind:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?ie=UTF-8&q=acrobat+reader+spyware

    ....Alan
    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    From: "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au>

    | It may depend on the version. Many do not install later versions due
    | to questionable programs etc. that be installed with it.
    | Read a few of these and make up your own mind:
    |
    | http://groups.google.com/groups?ie=UTF-8&q=acrobat+reader+spyware
    |
    | ...Alan
    | --
    | Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    | http://dts-l.org/index.html
    |
    | On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 06:24:01 -0700, "Chris"
    | <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    |
    >> Does anyone know why Acrobat reader does not quit when done using? When I use
    >> the program to read something upoing closing and ctrl/alt/deleting still
    >> shows the program there and leaves after a few end tasking.

    There is NO adware/spyware in the Adobe Acrobat Reader in any rendition. It is a faux
    conclusion because the Reader inserts a Browser Helper Object (BHO) into the Browser to view
    PDF files within the Browser.

    If anything, its a bug in Adobe Reader and gthe question should be asked in the Adobe News
    Groups (you will have to apply for an account to post, none needed for reading posts).

    http://www.adobeforums.com/images/forumfaq.html

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Oh, I know and I could take it out with MSCONFIG but I have a lot of memory,
    a fast processor and open pdf files fairly often.

    Alias

    "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote

    From: "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org>

    | Oh, I know and I could take it out with MSCONFIG but I have a lot of memory,
    | a fast processor and open pdf files fairly often.
    |
    | Alias

    Well... There 'ya go ;-)

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Rick et al.

    You might want to have a look at the free lightweight Foxit PDF Reader
    (http://www.foxitsoftware.com/) as an alternative to the bloated Adobe
    Acrobat Reader.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

    > webster72n wrote:
    >> Rick:
    >>
    >> Maybe un- and reinstalling would help?
    >> Couldn't hurt to try, or did you already?
    >
    > I don't recall what I tried (if indeed anything); I'm on Win2K
    > currently, but when I reinstall WinME I'm back to AcroRead v.6 so I'll
    > give that shot.

    Good show.
    Thanks, Mike.

    Harry.

    Mike M wrote:
    > Rick et al.
    >
    > You might want to have a look at the free lightweight Foxit PDF Reader
    > (http://www.foxitsoftware.com/) as an alternative to the bloated Adobe
    > Acrobat Reader.

    nice; noticeably faster, too.

    Thanks

    Rick

    I ran that for a while.. but it contributed to lockups (msgsrv.exe, kernel
    errors, etc.) after several uses (reloads). It's not a good match for my
    WinME pc.

    YMMV.

    "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote..

    > You might want to have a look at the free lightweight Foxit PDF Reader
    > (http://www.foxitsoftware.com/) as an alternative to the bloated Adobe
    > Acrobat Reader.

    Seems to be working for me, Ogg and I have it for the first time.

    Harry.

    "Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote in message
    > I ran that for a while.. but it contributed to lockups (msgsrv.exe, kernel
    > errors, etc.) after several uses (reloads). It's not a good match for my
    > WinME pc.
    >
    > YMMV.
    >

    > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote..
    >
    > > You might want to have a look at the free lightweight Foxit PDF Reader
    > > (http://www.foxitsoftware.com/) as an alternative to the bloated Adobe
    > > Acrobat Reader.

    Yes.. it seemed to work really well at the beginning. Infact, I continued
    to use it for over a year. But then it started causing problems when I
    would need to use it several times in on bootup session. Basically, it just
    started affecting my display Re-fresh (it wouldn't do a good job). There
    were other problems that would force me to reboot inorder to recover. If it
    cooperates on your machine, that's great. I liked the program for the most
    part. I did have trouble with some of the .PDF's I needed to view and they
    quite look the same when I used Adobe's version! But I really got tired of
    the surprise screen refresh problem and the lockups.

    "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote..

    Ogg wrote:
    > Yes.. it seemed to work really well at the beginning. Infact, I continued
    > to use it for over a year. But then it started causing problems when I
    > would need to use it several times in on bootup session. Basically, it just
    > started affecting my display Re-fresh (it wouldn't do a good job). There
    > were other problems that would force me to reboot inorder to recover. If it
    > cooperates on your machine, that's great.

    hmm, I'm running AR7 on Win2K which is *much* faster and more reliable
    than AR6 on WinME... and the Foxit proggie is *much* faster than that
    (on Win2K). Hopefully our systems are different enough that it works
    for me if I switch back.

    Rick

    > I liked the program for the most
    > part. I did have trouble with some of the .PDF's I needed to view and they
    > quite look the same when I used Adobe's version! But I really got tired of
    > the surprise screen refresh problem and the lockups.
    >

    > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote..
    >

    >>Seems to be working for me, Ogg and I have it for the first time.
    >> Harry.
    >

    > Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I ran that for a while.. but it contributed to lockups (msgsrv.exe, kernel
    >>errors, etc.) after several uses (reloads). It's not a good match for my
    >>WinME pc.
    >>
    >>YMMV.
    >

    >>"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote..
    >>

    >>>You might want to have a look at the free lightweight Foxit PDF Reader
    >>>(http://www.foxitsoftware.com/) as an alternative to the bloated Adobe
    >>>Acrobat Reader.

Acrobat Microsoft Windows