Sudden ME problem

BillG

Distinguished
May 31, 2004

I have a sudden problem with my Windows ME PC that I believe is a Registry
issue.

A Norton Anti Virus Scan shows nothing.

Symtons:
1. All MS Office programs don't load(WORK,EXCEL Access etc.). Error message:
Action only valid for products that are currently installed.
2. Desktop colors etc. changed all of a sudden.
3. MS related registry settings lost. Internet worked like a new computer
and wanted to reinstall. (but I could "ping" the outside world)
I lost my Outlook Express settings & emails. I beleive the INBOX file is
still on the hard drive but the reinstall lost the link.

4. I tryed to reinstall Office but got a Resistry Key error.

>A Norton Anti Virus Scan shows nothing.>

That explains everything by itself.

H.

"BILLG" <BILLG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a sudden problem with my Windows ME PC that I believe is a Registry
> issue.
>
> A Norton Anti Virus Scan shows nothing.
>
> Symtons:
> 1. All MS Office programs don't load(WORK,EXCEL Access etc.). Error
message:
> Action only valid for products that are currently installed.
> 2. Desktop colors etc. changed all of a sudden.
> 3. MS related registry settings lost. Internet worked like a new computer
> and wanted to reinstall. (but I could "ping" the outside world)
> I lost my Outlook Express settings & emails. I beleive the INBOX file
is
> still on the hard drive but the reinstall lost the link.
>
> 4. I tryed to reinstall Office but got a Resistry Key error.

"BILLG" <BILLG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a sudden problem with my Windows ME PC that I believe is a Registry
>issue.
>
>A Norton Anti Virus Scan shows nothing.

Most recent versions of Norton Antivirus have serious compatibility
issues with WindowsMe.

What is the specific version that you are using?

You may be well advised to remove Norton (which can be a daunting task
in itself because of the shoddily-programmed uninstall routines that
Norton provides) and try some other antivirus product which does not
have the compatibility issues with Windows Me.

Both eTrust and Trend Micro give good results with Windows Me as do
the more popular free antivirus programs such as AVG and Avast.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

BillG

Distinguished
May 31, 2004

I'm sorry if I was unclear in my original post. Norton is not the problem,
at least I don't thing so. It's been on that PC for while (ver. 9.0.338)
The registry got screwed up for seemingly no reason. All of a sudden my
Desktop changed colors, IE and Outlook Express stopped working along with
anything in MS OFFICE.
When I tryed to reinstall Office I got the Registry Key error and it would
not install.
Several other non-microsoft programs are also behaving like they are a new
install.

Any ideas?

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> "BILLG" <BILLG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a sudden problem with my Windows ME PC that I believe is a Registry
> >issue.
> >
> >A Norton Anti Virus Scan shows nothing.
> >

> Most recent versions of Norton Antivirus have serious compatibility
> issues with WindowsMe.
>
> What is the specific version that you are using?
>
> You may be well advised to remove Norton (which can be a daunting task
> in itself because of the shoddily-programmed uninstall routines that
> Norton provides) and try some other antivirus product which does not
> have the compatibility issues with Windows Me.
>
> Both eTrust and Trend Micro give good results with Windows Me as do
> the more popular free antivirus programs such as AVG and Avast.
>
> Good luck
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

> I'm sorry if I was unclear in my original post.

No, you were perfectly clear. You have Norton installed. As has already
been stated Norton is incompatible with the use of Win Me and whilst it
may co-exist for a while it will eventually cause massive problems
resulting in a system that is to all intents and purposes dead in the
water. The problems you are seeing are typical of those caused by
installing and running malware sold under the Symantec name on a Win Me
system.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

BILLG <BILLG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I'm sorry if I was unclear in my original post. Norton is not the
> problem, at least I don't thing so. It's been on that PC for while
> (ver. 9.0.338) The registry got screwed up for seemingly no reason.
> All of a sudden my Desktop changed colors, IE and Outlook Express
> stopped working along with anything in MS OFFICE.
> When I tryed to reinstall Office I got the Registry Key error and it
> would not install.
> Several other non-microsoft programs are also behaving like they are
> a new install.
>
> Any ideas?

Try using System Restore to go back to a time before your problem started -
then remove Norton (which could require assistance!)

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

>I was not aware of this. Norton antivirus of one version or another has
>been
> installed on this machine since I got it in May 2001.
>
> I tryed to do an "uninstall" through the Control Panel and I get the error
> "This action is only valid for products currently installed". This also
> happened when I tryed to "uninstall" Abode 6.0 that I resently installed.
> Adobe 5.0 was on the PC previously.
>
> What is my next step?
>

> "Mike M" wrote:
>
>> > I'm sorry if I was unclear in my original post.
>>
>> No, you were perfectly clear. You have Norton installed. As has already
>> been stated Norton is incompatible with the use of Win Me and whilst it
>> may co-exist for a while it will eventually cause massive problems
>> resulting in a system that is to all intents and purposes dead in the
>> water. The problems you are seeing are typical of those caused by
>> installing and running malware sold under the Symantec name on a Win Me
>> system.
>> --
>> Mike Maltby
>> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>>

>> BILLG <BILLG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I'm sorry if I was unclear in my original post. Norton is not the
>> > problem, at least I don't thing so. It's been on that PC for while
>> > (ver. 9.0.338) The registry got screwed up for seemingly no reason.
>> > All of a sudden my Desktop changed colors, IE and Outlook Express
>> > stopped working along with anything in MS OFFICE.
>> > When I tryed to reinstall Office I got the Registry Key error and it
>> > would not install.
>> > Several other non-microsoft programs are also behaving like they are
>> > a new install.
>> >
>> > Any ideas?

BillG

Distinguished
May 31, 2004

I tryed that and got "no restore points available" . Is there another way?

"Noel Paton" wrote:

> Try using System Restore to go back to a time before your problem started -
> then remove Norton (which could require assistance!)
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "BILLG" <BILLG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I was not aware of this. Norton antivirus of one version or another has
> >been
> > installed on this machine since I got it in May 2001.
> >
> > I tryed to do an "uninstall" through the Control Panel and I get the error
> > "This action is only valid for products currently installed". This also
> > happened when I tryed to "uninstall" Abode 6.0 that I resently installed.
> > Adobe 5.0 was on the PC previously.
> >
> > What is my next step?

> >> No, you were perfectly clear. You have Norton installed. As has already
> >> been stated Norton is incompatible with the use of Win Me and whilst it
> >> may co-exist for a while it will eventually cause massive problems
> >> resulting in a system that is to all intents and purposes dead in the
> >> water. The problems you are seeing are typical of those caused by
> >> installing and running malware sold under the Symantec name on a Win Me
> >> system.
> >> --
> >> Mike Maltby
> >> mike.maltby@gmail.com

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=303354&sd=RMVP

May help - at least with that aspect of the problem.......