CD writer disappears during/after burning - returns on reb..

Win Me Pentium lll 866 128 ram built-in graphics and sound chip AC97
I have just started having an odd problem. When burning an SVCD (or anything
else) with my Magix Movies 2 CD and DVD program (which I have used for the
last year without problems), it has started doing odd things (I am
transferring wmv files to disk). It will say "no burner found" when reaching
the "write to disk stage. As I say, it has been working fine up to two days
ago (in fact I had burned over a dozen disks the previous few days).
Sometimes it will burn one and then, when trying to burn a second disk, the
CD burner disappears and it reports "no burning device). It's gone from the
device manager screen! (it was in "my computer" before I tried burning - and
no problems shown in device mamnager).
It comes back if I reboot.
I can't figure what is causing this. I have tried System Restore to a time
without problems but that doesn't fix it. I have also scanned for a virus or
spyware - again clear. I have also tried reinstalling the program. Again, no
results.
The only strange thing that has happened is that when after first did this
(well it just stopped working with no error report) , I went to msconfig (I
was going to check the startup folder in case anything had slipped in there)
and it reported "variables found in system.ini or autoexec.bat. Tansferring
to registry". I don't know why or what happened but presume that that is
where the problem originated. It in't a message I have had before
Can anyone help me to sort this out please?
Thanks,
Hillneerg
19 answers Last reply
More about writer disappears during after burning returns

    More info.
    I do realise that the system config utility message is part of WinMe but
    don't know why the program has suddenly decided to alter the autoexec file
    after all this time. Looking at the bak file and the current file, there is
    the entry in the bak file for "SET winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS" which, in the
    current autoexec file is followed by "out of environment space" which sounds
    worrying.
    This is a copy of my current file.
    SET windir=C:\WINDOWS
    SET winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS
    Out of environment space
    SET COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
    SET PROMPT=$p$g
    SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
    SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
    SET CLASSPATH=C:\PROGRA~1\SOFTQUAD\HOTMET~1\HMFX\APPLETS
    SET
    PATH=C:\PAGEMGR\IMGFOLIO;C:\PAGEMGR;c:\windows;c:\windows\command;c:\arj;C:\ABCMIDI;C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\ULEADS~1\MPEG;C:\PROGRA~1\ULEADS~1\ULEADD~1
    hope this helps,
    Colin (hillneerg)

    "Hillneerg" wrote:

    > Win Me Pentium lll 866 128 ram built-in graphics and sound chip AC97
    > I have just started having an odd problem. When burning an SVCD (or anything
    > else) with my Magix Movies 2 CD and DVD program (which I have used for the
    > last year without problems), it has started doing odd things (I am
    > transferring wmv files to disk). It will say "no burner found" when reaching
    > the "write to disk stage. As I say, it has been working fine up to two days
    > ago (in fact I had burned over a dozen disks the previous few days).
    > Sometimes it will burn one and then, when trying to burn a second disk, the
    > CD burner disappears and it reports "no burning device). It's gone from the
    > device manager screen! (it was in "my computer" before I tried burning - and
    > no problems shown in device mamnager).
    > It comes back if I reboot.
    > I can't figure what is causing this. I have tried System Restore to a time
    > without problems but that doesn't fix it. I have also scanned for a virus or
    > spyware - again clear. I have also tried reinstalling the program. Again, no
    > results.
    > The only strange thing that has happened is that when after first did this
    > (well it just stopped working with no error report) , I went to msconfig (I
    > was going to check the startup folder in case anything had slipped in there)
    > and it reported "variables found in system.ini or autoexec.bat. Tansferring
    > to registry". I don't know why or what happened but presume that that is
    > where the problem originated. It in't a message I have had before
    > Can anyone help me to sort this out please?
    > Thanks,
    > Hillneerg

    Weird ...

    Can't think why it should be related but your follow-up post is timed 9
    minutes BEFORE your original post. CMOS battery dying affecting the BIOS
    enumeration/detection perhaps?

    Coincidence?

    Mart

    "Hillneerg" <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Just as a quick PS. During the time I was writing the message, the CD
    > writer
    > came back in device manager (no problems shown) and my computer - I
    > checked
    > just after I sent the post - but it can't read a disk "please insert a
    > disk
    > into drive E".
    > It will work fine after a reboot (until I try and burn something!).
    >
    > "Hillneerg" wrote:
    >
    >> Win Me Pentium lll 866 128 ram built-in graphics and sound chip AC97
    >> I have just started having an odd problem. When burning an SVCD (or
    >> anything
    >> else) with my Magix Movies 2 CD and DVD program (which I have used for
    >> the
    >> last year without problems), it has started doing odd things (I am
    >> transferring wmv files to disk). It will say "no burner found" when
    >> reaching
    >> the "write to disk stage. As I say, it has been working fine up to two
    >> days
    >> ago (in fact I had burned over a dozen disks the previous few days).
    >> Sometimes it will burn one and then, when trying to burn a second disk,
    >> the
    >> CD burner disappears and it reports "no burning device). It's gone from
    >> the
    >> device manager screen! (it was in "my computer" before I tried burning -
    >> and
    >> no problems shown in device mamnager).
    >> It comes back if I reboot.
    >> I can't figure what is causing this. I have tried System Restore to a
    >> time
    >> without problems but that doesn't fix it. I have also scanned for a virus
    >> or
    >> spyware - again clear. I have also tried reinstalling the program. Again,
    >> no
    >> results.
    >> The only strange thing that has happened is that when after first did
    >> this
    >> (well it just stopped working with no error report) , I went to msconfig
    >> (I
    >> was going to check the startup folder in case anything had slipped in
    >> there)
    >> and it reported "variables found in system.ini or autoexec.bat.
    >> Tansferring
    >> to registry". I don't know why or what happened but presume that that is
    >> where the problem originated. It in't a message I have had before
    >> Can anyone help me to sort this out please?
    >> Thanks,
    >> Hillneerg

    Win Me doesn't process either autoexec.bat or config.sys, these files
    being retained solely for backwards compatibility with applications that
    expect to find these files. It's not strictly true that Win Me doesn't
    process autoexec.bat, it does so but not in the way one might expect. Win
    Me processes autoexec.bat at shutdown rather than at boot time at which
    point it transfers any new environment variables to the registry so as to
    be available when the system is next booted.

    The default space for environment variables is 256 bytes in a DOS window
    and can be increased up to 4,096 bytes by changing the Properties for the
    window. I am unaware of any similar restriction in the registry.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Hillneerg <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > More info.
    > I do realise that the system config utility message is part of WinMe
    > but don't know why the program has suddenly decided to alter the
    > autoexec file after all this time. Looking at the bak file and the
    > current file, there is the entry in the bak file for "SET
    > winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS" which, in the current autoexec file is
    > followed by "out of environment space" which sounds worrying.
    > This is a copy of my current file.
    > SET windir=C:\WINDOWS
    > SET winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS
    > Out of environment space
    > SET COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
    > SET PROMPT=$p$g
    > SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
    > SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
    > SET CLASSPATH=C:\PROGRA~1\SOFTQUAD\HOTMET~1\HMFX\APPLETS
    > SET
    > PATH=C:\PAGEMGR\IMGFOLIO;C:\PAGEMGR;c:\windows;c:\windows\command;c:\arj;C:\ABCMIDI;C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\ULEADS~1\MPEG;C:\PROGRA~1\ULEADS~1\ULEADD~1
    > hope this helps,

    Ok, I understand that. What puzzles me is that this only started when the
    program started losing the CD writer drive so I presumed the two were
    related. How would this "out of environment space" impact on the PC if at all?
    The program in question doesn't appear to have anything in it at all that
    relates to a DOS command (nothing that clicking properties on brings up the
    usual DOS details of memory/screen/font etc). As I say, this just started
    without an obvious cause and re-installing the program hasn't fixed it nor
    has using system restore.
    I am possibly linking unrelated events here due to my lack of knowledge.
    Something in the program (or on my PC) appears to be causing the CD writer
    to be lost during operation and for this message to start appearing. I feel
    they must be connected somehow.
    Colin (hillneerg)

    "Mike M" wrote:

    > Win Me doesn't process either autoexec.bat or config.sys, these files
    > being retained solely for backwards compatibility with applications that
    > expect to find these files. It's not strictly true that Win Me doesn't
    > process autoexec.bat, it does so but not in the way one might expect. Win
    > Me processes autoexec.bat at shutdown rather than at boot time at which
    > point it transfers any new environment variables to the registry so as to
    > be available when the system is next booted.
    >
    > The default space for environment variables is 256 bytes in a DOS window
    > and can be increased up to 4,096 bytes by changing the Properties for the
    > window. I am unaware of any similar restriction in the registry.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Hillneerg <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > More info.
    > > I do realise that the system config utility message is part of WinMe
    > > but don't know why the program has suddenly decided to alter the
    > > autoexec file after all this time. Looking at the bak file and the
    > > current file, there is the entry in the bak file for "SET
    > > winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS" which, in the current autoexec file is
    > > followed by "out of environment space" which sounds worrying.
    > > This is a copy of my current file.
    > > SET windir=C:\WINDOWS
    > > SET winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS
    > > Out of environment space
    > > SET COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
    > > SET PROMPT=$p$g
    > > SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
    > > SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
    > > SET CLASSPATH=C:\PROGRA~1\SOFTQUAD\HOTMET~1\HMFX\APPLETS
    > > SET
    > > PATH=C:\PAGEMGR\IMGFOLIO;C:\PAGEMGR;c:\windows;c:\windows\command;c:\arj;C:\ABCMIDI;C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\ULEADS~1\MPEG;C:\PROGRA~1\ULEADS~1\ULEADD~1
    > > hope this helps,

    Can I take it that there isn't an obvious answer as to why my SVCD burning
    programs either no longer can see my cd writer or remove it from the system
    without comment? The original burning program (Adeptec ECDC4) for data and
    music) still works ok but both of my VCD/SVCD burning programs now either
    fail to burn or lose the E drive (the CD Writer) even after uninstalling,
    removing all the registry entries with Regcleaner and reinstalling them. I
    was hoping for suggestions that a file may have been overwritten, gone
    missing etc. They have both worked fine fior the last 18 months.
    hillneerg

    "Hillneerg" wrote:

    > Ok, I understand that. What puzzles me is that this only started when the
    > program started losing the CD writer drive so I presumed the two were
    > related. How would this "out of environment space" impact on the PC if at all?
    > The program in question doesn't appear to have anything in it at all that
    > relates to a DOS command (nothing that clicking properties on brings up the
    > usual DOS details of memory/screen/font etc). As I say, this just started
    > without an obvious cause and re-installing the program hasn't fixed it nor
    > has using system restore.
    > I am possibly linking unrelated events here due to my lack of knowledge.
    > Something in the program (or on my PC) appears to be causing the CD writer
    > to be lost during operation and for this message to start appearing. I feel
    > they must be connected somehow.
    > Colin (hillneerg)
    >

    > "Mike M" wrote:
    >
    > > Win Me doesn't process either autoexec.bat or config.sys, these files
    > > being retained solely for backwards compatibility with applications that
    > > expect to find these files. It's not strictly true that Win Me doesn't
    > > process autoexec.bat, it does so but not in the way one might expect. Win
    > > Me processes autoexec.bat at shutdown rather than at boot time at which
    > > point it transfers any new environment variables to the registry so as to
    > > be available when the system is next booted.
    > >
    > > The default space for environment variables is 256 bytes in a DOS window
    > > and can be increased up to 4,096 bytes by changing the Properties for the
    > > window. I am unaware of any similar restriction in the registry.
    > > --
    > > Mike Maltby
    > > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    > >

    > > Hillneerg <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > > More info.
    > > > I do realise that the system config utility message is part of WinMe
    > > > but don't know why the program has suddenly decided to alter the
    > > > autoexec file after all this time. Looking at the bak file and the
    > > > current file, there is the entry in the bak file for "SET
    > > > winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS" which, in the current autoexec file is
    > > > followed by "out of environment space" which sounds worrying.
    > > > This is a copy of my current file.
    > > > SET windir=C:\WINDOWS
    > > > SET winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS
    > > > Out of environment space
    > > > SET COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
    > > > SET PROMPT=$p$g
    > > > SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
    > > > SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
    > > > SET CLASSPATH=C:\PROGRA~1\SOFTQUAD\HOTMET~1\HMFX\APPLETS
    > > > SET
    > > > PATH=C:\PAGEMGR\IMGFOLIO;C:\PAGEMGR;c:\windows;c:\windows\command;c:\arj;C:\ABCMIDI;C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\ULEADS~1\MPEG;C:\PROGRA~1\ULEADS~1\ULEADD~1
    > > > hope this helps,

    I posted in respect of one part of one of your posts - namely the use of
    autoexec.bat and config.sys in Win Me. Being very busy and not being
    particularly well at present I have chosen to make no other comments.
    Sorry.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Hillneerg <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Can I take it that there isn't an obvious answer as to why my SVCD
    > burning programs either no longer can see my cd writer or remove it
    > from the system without comment? The original burning program
    > (Adeptec ECDC4) for data and music) still works ok but both of my
    > VCD/SVCD burning programs now either fail to burn or lose the E drive
    > (the CD Writer) even after uninstalling, removing all the registry
    > entries with Regcleaner and reinstalling them. I was hoping for
    > suggestions that a file may have been overwritten, gone missing etc.
    > They have both worked fine fior the last 18 months.
    > hillneerg

    Sorry to hear you are not well. Hope you are better soon. I will see what I
    can find out myself (any replaced files etc) and repost at a later date.
    Take care,
    Colin

    "Mike M" wrote:

    > I posted in respect of one part of one of your posts - namely the use of
    > autoexec.bat and config.sys in Win Me. Being very busy and not being
    > particularly well at present I have chosen to make no other comments.
    > Sorry.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Hillneerg <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Can I take it that there isn't an obvious answer as to why my SVCD
    > > burning programs either no longer can see my cd writer or remove it
    > > from the system without comment? The original burning program
    > > (Adeptec ECDC4) for data and music) still works ok but both of my
    > > VCD/SVCD burning programs now either fail to burn or lose the E drive
    > > (the CD Writer) even after uninstalling, removing all the registry
    > > entries with Regcleaner and reinstalling them. I was hoping for
    > > suggestions that a file may have been overwritten, gone missing etc.
    > > They have both worked fine fior the last 18 months.
    > > hillneerg

    Just out of interest, things seem to have resloved themselves.
    I took the cd writer out of the PC and took it apart and found a sliver of
    the coating of a CD-R inside. Although by the time I had dismantled the
    thing it wasn't in an obvious position, I feel that it had been partly
    covering the lens so that, although it could (at times) read a CD, there
    wasn't enough power to actually burn one. (most of the CD's I tried to make
    remained either empty or with less info on them that there should have been
    (say 340mb instead of 500+).
    Anway, first step, clean the thing!
    Hillneerg

    "Hillneerg" wrote:

    > Sorry to hear you are not well. Hope you are better soon. I will see what I
    > can find out myself (any replaced files etc) and repost at a later date.
    > Take care,
    > Colin
    >

    > "Mike M" wrote:
    >
    > > I posted in respect of one part of one of your posts - namely the use of
    > > autoexec.bat and config.sys in Win Me. Being very busy and not being
    > > particularly well at present I have chosen to make no other comments.
    > > Sorry.
    > > --
    > > Mike Maltby
    > > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    > >

    > > Hillneerg <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Can I take it that there isn't an obvious answer as to why my SVCD
    > > > burning programs either no longer can see my cd writer or remove it
    > > > from the system without comment? The original burning program
    > > > (Adeptec ECDC4) for data and music) still works ok but both of my
    > > > VCD/SVCD burning programs now either fail to burn or lose the E drive
    > > > (the CD Writer) even after uninstalling, removing all the registry
    > > > entries with Regcleaner and reinstalling them. I was hoping for
    > > > suggestions that a file may have been overwritten, gone missing etc.
    > > > They have both worked fine fior the last 18 months.
    > > > hillneerg

    Wow, first I heard of that happening...

    thanks for sharing
    (really)

    Rick

    Hillneerg wrote:
    > Just out of interest, things seem to have resloved themselves.
    > I took the cd writer out of the PC and took it apart and found a sliver of
    > the coating of a CD-R inside. Although by the time I had dismantled the
    > thing it wasn't in an obvious position, I feel that it had been partly
    > covering the lens so that, although it could (at times) read a CD, there
    > wasn't enough power to actually burn one. (most of the CD's I tried to make
    > remained either empty or with less info on them that there should have been
    > (say 340mb instead of 500+).
    > Anway, first step, clean the thing!
    > Hillneerg
    >

    > "Hillneerg" wrote:
    >

    >>Sorry to hear you are not well. Hope you are better soon. I will see what I
    >>can find out myself (any replaced files etc) and repost at a later date.
    >>Take care,
    >>Colin
    >>

    >>"Mike M" wrote:
    >>

    >>>I posted in respect of one part of one of your posts - namely the use of
    >>>autoexec.bat and config.sys in Win Me. Being very busy and not being
    >>>particularly well at present I have chosen to make no other comments.
    >>>Sorry.
    >>>--
    >>>Mike Maltby
    >>>mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Thanks for the update. Most interesting. Let's hope the fix is
    permanent! I just wish the problem I have here with a new PC could be
    fixed by a few shakes. Thinks, maybe it can - I'll try that next. :-)

    Cheers,
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Hillneerg <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Just out of interest, things seem to have resloved themselves.
    > I took the cd writer out of the PC and took it apart and found a
    > sliver of the coating of a CD-R inside. Although by the time I had
    > dismantled the thing it wasn't in an obvious position, I feel that it
    > had been partly covering the lens so that, although it could (at
    > times) read a CD, there wasn't enough power to actually burn one.
    > (most of the CD's I tried to make remained either empty or with less
    > info on them that there should have been (say 340mb instead of 500+).
    > Anway, first step, clean the thing!

    Hey Mike, there's a girl on the checkout at our local Tesco who knows
    exactly where to thump the electronic scales when the display fails. Want me
    to have a word?

    Mart

    Mart <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote:

    > Hey Mike, there's a girl on the checkout at our local Tesco who knows
    > exactly where to thump the electronic scales when the display fails.
    > Want me to have a word?

    Please do! BTW your message for some weird reason reminded me of Kirsty
    Maccoll's "There's A Guy Works Down The Chip Shop Swears He's Elvis". :-)

    I decide to treat myself to a new box that the kids couldn't steal from
    me. I spent a fair bit more than intended but in summary it's a dual core
    AMD 64 4400+ with dual channel 2GB PC3200 DDR RAM, an ATI X700 PCI-E video
    card and a couple of disks <g> (2x80GB SATA II with NCQ in RAID0
    configuration for system and volatile data etc. and 4x200GB SATA I in
    RAID5 configuration for major storage). I'm just dying to get XP 64 up
    and running on it and also have a go with Vista 64 but the &&&&&y thing
    doesn't even get to POST. Zilch. Stripped back everything and it appears
    to be a memory problem however the two memory sticks check put perfect in
    another PC (this one).

    Looks as if I'm going to have to wait for a bit longer to get to try and
    set up those two RAID arrays and play with my dual core. :-( The problem
    is looking more and more as if it's a motherboard problem but the only way
    to check that out is to get another motherboard. It's either that or the
    cpu and of the two the mobo is the cheaper to replace.
    --
    Mike

    Even though it *should* still post with a dual-core, your board's BIOS
    may not be up-to-date.

    Rick
    thinking about those myself actually, but I'm not due 'til Q2'06 earliest.

    Mike M wrote:
    > Mart <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote:
    >
    >> Hey Mike, there's a girl on the checkout at our local Tesco who knows
    >> exactly where to thump the electronic scales when the display fails.
    >> Want me to have a word?
    >

    > Please do! BTW your message for some weird reason reminded me of Kirsty
    > Maccoll's "There's A Guy Works Down The Chip Shop Swears He's Elvis". :-)
    >
    > I decide to treat myself to a new box that the kids couldn't steal from
    > me. I spent a fair bit more than intended but in summary it's a dual
    > core AMD 64 4400+ with dual channel 2GB PC3200 DDR RAM, an ATI X700
    > PCI-E video card and a couple of disks <g> (2x80GB SATA II with NCQ in
    > RAID0 configuration for system and volatile data etc. and 4x200GB SATA I
    > in RAID5 configuration for major storage). I'm just dying to get XP 64
    > up and running on it and also have a go with Vista 64 but the &&&&&y
    > thing doesn't even get to POST. Zilch. Stripped back everything and it
    > appears to be a memory problem however the two memory sticks check put
    > perfect in another PC (this one).
    >
    > Looks as if I'm going to have to wait for a bit longer to get to try and
    > set up those two RAID arrays and play with my dual core. :-( The
    > problem is looking more and more as if it's a motherboard problem but
    > the only way to check that out is to get another motherboard. It's
    > either that or the cpu and of the two the mobo is the cheaper to replace.

    Just plain 'WOW'!!! I will get after Willy on Monday, grin. And send him
    this to make me one of them too. (right.....hah!!). Sounds wonderful,
    though.

    Best.....Heather

    Mike wrote :-

    > Please do! BTW your message for some weird reason reminded me of Kirsty
    > Maccoll's "There's A Guy Works Down The Chip Shop Swears He's Elvis". :-)

    Weird or what Mike?

    Elvis was here at Tesco's a week last Friday (although I didn't actually see
    him myself) but his picture is in the local paper, showing him giving lifts
    in his Stretch-Limo on behalf of Help the Aged. And the wife thought he'd
    died years ago - D'uh!!

    BTW - The girl on the checkout says that a sharp thump with side of the fist
    on the top right-hand-side of the display usually works - for her. It
    certainly worked when I saw her fix the scales - MVP material?

    > I decide to treat myself to a new box that the kids couldn't steal from
    > me.

    Wanna bet?

    Enjoy - whilst you can <g>

    Mart

    Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

    > Even though it *should* still post with a dual-core, your board's BIOS
    > may not be up-to-date.

    There's no way of telling or even discovering the bios version since one
    can't get to POST or into the bios however the board is new and released
    at the same time as dual core processors and supposed to support them
    ootb. If dual core is the cause of the problem then it brings to mind the
    problems that some early mobos with Intel's Prescott processor had with XP
    SP2.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    > Rick
    > thinking about those myself actually, but I'm not due 'til Q2'06
    > earliest.
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Mike
    I had a new motherboard bundle the other day - Sempron 2800 - that refused
    to POST also....
    Long story short, but tit ended up that the CPU wasn't properly seated in
    the socket. Once that was fixed, it runs like a dream.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Even though it *should* still post with a dual-core, your board's BIOS
    >> may not be up-to-date.
    >
    > There's no way of telling or even discovering the bios version since one
    > can't get to POST or into the bios however the board is new and released
    > at the same time as dual core processors and supposed to support them
    > ootb. If dual core is the cause of the problem then it brings to mind the
    > problems that some early mobos with Intel's Prescott processor had with XP
    > SP2.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    >> Rick
    >> thinking about those myself actually, but I'm not due 'til Q2'06
    >> earliest.

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    <lol> In your dreams girl <vbg>
    Joan

    Heather wrote:
    > Just plain 'WOW'!!! I will get after Willy on Monday, grin. And
    > send him this to make me one of them too. (right.....hah!!).
    > Sounds wonderful, though.
    >
    > Best.....Heather
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    <lol> I wouldn't bet on the girls not bagging it <g> mind you not being
    able to carry it around with them may make a difference <g>
    Lets hope you get it all working to your satisfaction before to long Mike
    and enjoy it, you deserve a treat yourself <g>
    Joan

    Mike M wrote:

    > I decide to treat myself to a new box that the kids couldn't steal
    > from me. I spent a fair bit more than intended but in summary it's a
    > dual core AMD 64 4400+ with dual channel 2GB PC3200 DDR RAM, an ATI
    > X700 PCI-E video card and a couple of disks <g> (2x80GB SATA II with
    > NCQ in RAID0 configuration for system and volatile data etc. and
    > 4x200GB SATA I in RAID5 configuration for major storage). I'm just
    > dying to get XP 64 up and running on it and also have a go with Vista
    > 64 but the &&&&&y thing doesn't even get to POST. Zilch. Stripped
    > back everything and it appears to be a memory problem however the two
    > memory sticks check put perfect in another PC (this one).
    >
    > Looks as if I'm going to have to wait for a bit longer to get to try
    > and set up those two RAID arrays and play with my dual core. :-( The
    > problem is looking more and more as if it's a motherboard problem
    > but the only way to check that out is to get another motherboard. It's
    > either that or the cpu and of the two the mobo is the cheaper to
    > replace.

Burner CD-Rom Windows