How to connect two short RJ-45 cables to get a long one?

I have two short RJ-45 cables measuring about 25 ft each.
What I need is a 40 ft cable to hook a pc in my room to the
living room internet hub. Is it possible to connect two
25-ft cable or do I have to buy another 40ft long one?
14 answers Last reply
More about connect short cables long

    RJ45 vnion / covpler

    http://www.homestead.co.vk/prodvctcategorydetail.aspx?CategoryID=51298&onspecialoffer=False

    "lawfvl" <lawfvl@vsa.com> wrote in message
    > I have two short RJ-45 cables measvring abovt 25 ft each.
    > What I need is a 40 ft cable to hook a pc in my room to the
    > living room internet hvb. Is it possible to connect two
    > 25-ft cable or do I have to bvy another 40ft long one?

    Forget connecting 2 short ones. That just becomes a source of problems. Buy
    a 40 or 50 foot one instead. I've seen them on sales for less than 5 bucks.

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 13:27:52 GMT, lawful <lawful@usa.com> wrote:

    >I have two short RJ-45 cables measuring about 25 ft each.
    >What I need is a 40 ft cable to hook a pc in my room to the
    >living room internet hub. Is it possible to connect two
    >25-ft cable or do I have to buy another 40ft long one?

    Yes it is possible, and practical for a one-time use. When you use a
    connector, it introduces a new problem source. Best to buy a new
    cable--they are inexpensive.

    Papa wrote:

    > Forget connecting 2 short ones. That just becomes a source of problems.

    In theory, yes, but, face it, any serious network installation has plug
    wall plates (that's a 'cable coupler' right there), multiple
    routers/switches, and probably one or more patch panels. Adding a coupler
    between two cables at home is peanuts compared to all the connectors in
    that arrangement.

    Phisherman <nobody@noone.com> wrote:
    > On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 13:27:52 GMT, lawful <lawful@usa.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I have two short RJ-45 cables measuring about 25 ft each.
    >>What I need is a 40 ft cable to hook a pc in my room to the
    >>living room internet hub. Is it possible to connect two
    >>25-ft cable or do I have to buy another 40ft long one?
    >
    > Yes it is possible, and practical for a one-time use. When you
    > use a connector, it introduces a new problem source. Best to
    > buy a new cable--they are inexpensive.

    I think a 1-2 line splitter will work. Just use the two sockets
    and leave the plug unconnected. I have plenty of them here.

    lawful wrote:
    > I have two short RJ-45 cables measuring about 25 ft each.
    > What I need is a 40 ft cable to hook a pc in my room to the
    > living room internet hub. Is it possible to connect two
    > 25-ft cable or do I have to buy another 40ft long one?

    Yes, and a quick google search would have found you one for $2.60.

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

    No doubt, but why add to the problem unnecessarily?

    Papa wrote:

    > No doubt, but why add to the problem unnecessarily?

    It may not be an extraordinarily compelling reason but people generally
    don't like wasting things, such as existing cables, and a coupler costs
    less than a 40 footer.

    > I have two short RJ-45 cables measuring about 25 ft each.
    > What I need is a 40 ft cable to hook a pc in my room to the
    > living room internet hub. Is it possible to connect two
    > 25-ft cable or do I have to buy another 40ft long one?

    Buy a new 40+ft cable instead of connecting them together. This may
    actually be cheaper than trying to connect them together with two plugs
    and a coupler. A voice-grade coupler is not cheap (as found in Home
    Depot), and a data-grade coupler costs even more (see one in
    www.lanshack.com).

    If you don't like to waste those two 25-ft cables, you can re-use those
    two 25-ft cable for other purposes, such as making four patch cables --
    no waste. Or you can use the data-grade cables as phone cables, and
    use them around the house. A 25-ft phone extension line can come in
    handy if you call tech support and he asks you to check something that
    is in the next room (like what happened to me when I called tech
    support to fix the problem in my broadband router that was behind a
    closet).

    Jay Chan

    For the record.. I have had a standard coupler between a 75 ft cable and a
    30 foot, OUTSIDE feeding my garage and the juke box for 3 years. not a
    single hiccup

    IN California, not the worst weather in the world...however it got through
    the worst rainy season in 40 years

    "lawful" <lawful@usa.com> wrote in message
    >I have two short RJ-45 cables measuring about 25 ft each.
    > What I need is a 40 ft cable to hook a pc in my room to the
    > living room internet hub. Is it possible to connect two
    > 25-ft cable or do I have to buy another 40ft long one?

    No, that is not true. In most cases the price for either is about the same.
    So, as I stated earlier, why add to the problem unnecessarily?

    OK, your move. ;>)

    "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
    > Papa wrote:
    >
    >> No doubt, but why add to the problem unnecessarily?
    >>

    > It may not be an extraordinarily compelling reason but people generally
    > don't like wasting things, such as existing cables, and a coupler costs
    > less than a 40 footer.

    "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
    > Papa wrote:
    >
    >> No doubt, but why add to the problem unnecessarily?
    >>

    > It may not be an extraordinarily compelling reason but people generally
    > don't like wasting things, such as existing cables, and a coupler costs
    > less than a 40 footer.

    Helping to prove your point:
    http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchproducts.asp?s=SP&dept=tch2&search=1ca90&child=1ca90-6&rows=6&across=2&sort=new&gp=Y&ureq=Y

    From under $1.00 to almost $8.00.

    MC

    Papa wrote:

    > No, that is not true. In most cases the price for either is about the same.
    > So, as I stated earlier, why add to the problem unnecessarily?
    >
    > OK, your move. ;>)

    I don't know where you get CAT5 couplers but I can buy them all day long
    for 2 or 3 bucks.

    And if you can get me connectored 40ft cat5 cables for 2 or 3 bucks let me
    know where as I'd like to pick up a couple of them. Best I see is 50 ft for
    $10.

    Not that 7 bucks is going to break the bank.

    ModeratelyConfused wrote:

    > "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Papa wrote:
    >>

    >>>No doubt, but why add to the problem unnecessarily?
    >>>

    >>It may not be an extraordinarily compelling reason but people generally
    >>don't like wasting things, such as existing cables, and a coupler costs
    >>less than a 40 footer.
    >

    > Helping to prove your point:
    > http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchproducts.asp?s=SP&dept=tch2&search=1ca90&child=1ca90-6&rows=6&across=2&sort=new&gp=Y&ureq=Y
    >
    > From under $1.00 to almost $8.00.
    >
    > MC

    Hey, thanks. That's even cheaper than the 2 buck jobs.

Homebuilt Connection Cable Systems