Slave HD - jumper storage position

Re my earlier thread about second drive location, I installed it as slave in
the empty 3 1/2" slot after the master was relocated to the spare 5 1/4"
bay.
Had a little problem on booting into BIOS: at first I followed instructions
and put the jumper on the new slave drive in the "storage" location on pins
J44 and 42
http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/en_us/documentation/jumper_settings/style_a2.htm
but the BIOS wouldn't recognise it until I completely removed the jumper,
then all was well.
I thought I'd keep the jumper for possible future employment should I revert
the drive to master, so stuck it just on one spare pin, but then thought I'd
better do what Maxtor says. Obviously I misunderstand. So can someone please
explain what the point of the "storage" setting is?
Miles

muttley

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

"MilesG" <mjgolding@btopenworldYorkLoaves.com> wrote in message
> Re my earlier thread about second drive location, I installed it as slave
> in the empty 3 1/2" slot after the master was relocated to the spare 5
> 1/4" bay.
> Had a little problem on booting into BIOS: at first I followed
> instructions and put the jumper on the new slave drive in the "storage"
> location on pins J44 and 42
> http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/en_us/documentation/jumper_settings/style_a2.htm
> but the BIOS wouldn't recognise it until I completely removed the jumper,
> then all was well.
> I thought I'd keep the jumper for possible future employment should I
> revert the drive to master, so stuck it just on one spare pin, but then
> thought I'd better do what Maxtor says. Obviously I misunderstand. So can
> someone please explain what the point of the "storage" setting is?
> Miles

Hmm... Interesting...

In the picture on that webpage, it shows the storage position to be above
J50 and J48, but the text says J44 and J42....

Pretty easy to misunderstand when the information appears to be
conflicting....

On the following page the picture seems to match the text for the page you
listed....

http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/en_us/documentation/jumper_settings/style_a1.htm

Cheers,

John S.

>> Re my earlier thread about second drive location, I installed it as slave
>> in the empty 3 1/2" slot after the master was relocated to the spare 5
>> 1/4" bay.
>> Had a little problem on booting into BIOS: at first I followed
>> instructions and put the jumper on the new slave drive in the "storage"
>> location on pins J44 and 42
>> http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/en_us/documentation/jumper_settings/style_a2.htm
>> but the BIOS wouldn't recognise it until I completely removed the jumper,
>> then all was well.
>> I thought I'd keep the jumper for possible future employment should I
>> revert the drive to master, so stuck it just on one spare pin, but then
>> thought I'd better do what Maxtor says. Obviously I misunderstand. So can
>> someone please explain what the point of the "storage" setting is?
>> Miles
>>
> Hmm... Interesting...
>
> In the picture on that webpage, it shows the storage position to be above
> J50 and J48, but the text says J44 and J42....
>
> Pretty easy to misunderstand when the information appears to be
> conflicting....
>
> On the following page the picture seems to match the text for the page you
> listed....
>
> http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/en_us/documentation/jumper_settings/style_a1.htm

I see what you mean, John. Entering 6Y080L0 in the Product Support page took
me straight to Style A2. I reckon they've mismatched the A1 verbal
description to the A2 diagram, hence got the pin numbers wrong in A2.
Moreover the text is ambiguous: better to say "the jumper pictured in the
diagram over the J42 and J44 pins is in the storage position". As it reads,
it could be interpreted as "the jumper placed over the J42 and J44 pins is
in....." which is what I did. Pedantic, aren't I?!
I guess you just put it over any pin with a space next to it, like I first
thought.

MIles