backup

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
August 30, 2005 11:50:02 PM

i have windows ME on an old pc i use scrictly for old dos/95 games and dont
know where i'd be without it-so many games i've gotten on ebay just dont work
with xp--i dont have any ME disks/floppies and want to backup ME-if something
happens to it, i'm screwed--i seem to be awash in figureing out what to do as
i've looked at so many backup programs and i dont know if i'm just stupid or
what. they all seem hard to use--was also thinking of usb between that pc and
200gb. xp pc, although i dont know if you can transfer between ME and XP---i
do have bootitng on the machine, and it offers slide,image,etc i'm thinking
that might be the easiest way--anybody got any ideas?

dennis
okeefe58@yahoo.com

More about : backup

Anonymous
August 31, 2005 2:53:20 AM

I use Acronis True Image and backup to a much larger HD. If you didn't
want to install another drive, you could always get an external USB HD and
any good backup proggy would work. I happen to like Acronis because it
works, it is intuitive and has a number of useful options.
Heirloom, old and needs plenty of
backup

"okeefe58" <okeefe58@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have windows ME on an old pc i use scrictly for old dos/95 games and dont
> know where i'd be without it-so many games i've gotten on ebay just dont
> work
> with xp--i dont have any ME disks/floppies and want to backup ME-if
> something
> happens to it, i'm screwed--i seem to be awash in figureing out what to do
> as
> i've looked at so many backup programs and i dont know if i'm just stupid
> or
> what. they all seem hard to use--was also thinking of usb between that pc
> and
> 200gb. xp pc, although i dont know if you can transfer between ME and
> XP---i
> do have bootitng on the machine, and it offers slide,image,etc i'm
> thinking
> that might be the easiest way--anybody got any ideas?
>
> dennis
> okeefe58@yahoo.com
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 8:51:12 AM

Heirloom wrote:
> I use Acronis True Image and backup to a much larger HD. If you didn't
> want to install another drive, you could always get an external USB HD and
> any good backup proggy would work. I happen to like Acronis because it
> works, it is intuitive and has a number of useful options.

Hello, Heirloom!
I use True Image
[http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage] too, and I
must say that I just love this program.
Once my PC accidentally crashed, but before that I hade made an image
of HDD, so I easily restored my system.
Yes, it has very convenient and intuitive windows wizard, that makes
utilization nice and fast.
This software is wonderful for making backup.
August 31, 2005 3:59:10 PM

le_temp,
Actually, I haven't found anyone using the program, as yet, that
does not like it. I did a lot of research on the app before making the
purchase. Found the usual gripes in some of the NG's and reviews (of
course, you hear from the disgruntled long before those who are satisfied)
and came to the conclusion that those having any sort of problems were
victims of 'self-inflicted' wounds. Glad to hear you are enjoying the
proggy, too. BTW, early on, I tested it by restoring about 15G on a RAID 0
configuration and it worked to perfection. I'm sold.
Heirloom, old and works for me

<le_temp_de@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Heirloom wrote:
>> I use Acronis True Image and backup to a much larger HD. If you didn't
>> want to install another drive, you could always get an external USB HD
>> and
>> any good backup proggy would work. I happen to like Acronis because it
>> works, it is intuitive and has a number of useful options.
>
> Hello, Heirloom!
> I use True Image
> [http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage] too, and I
> must say that I just love this program.
> Once my PC accidentally crashed, but before that I hade made an image
> of HDD, so I easily restored my system.
> Yes, it has very convenient and intuitive windows wizard, that makes
> utilization nice and fast.
> This software is wonderful for making backup.

Anonymous
September 1, 2005 1:40:32 PM

You should be able to network ME and XP PCs. See an XP newsgroup.
The most common backup imagers are Ghost and TrueImage. Both will backup
partitions across a network. The restoration is local however calling the
network up as source of the image file.
Since you have an older OS that still relies on msdos, and FAT filesystem,
an older imaging program would surely work from floppy diskette or boot CD.
You need an alternate partition (not C:)  on same hard drive or another hard
drive to save the backup to.

!