backup

i have windows ME on an old pc i use scrictly for old dos/95 games and dont
know where i'd be without it-so many games i've gotten on ebay just dont work
with xp--i dont have any ME disks/floppies and want to backup ME-if something
happens to it, i'm screwed--i seem to be awash in figureing out what to do as
i've looked at so many backup programs and i dont know if i'm just stupid or
what. they all seem hard to use--was also thinking of usb between that pc and
200gb. xp pc, although i dont know if you can transfer between ME and XP---i
do have bootitng on the machine, and it offers slide,image,etc i'm thinking
that might be the easiest way--anybody got any ideas?

dennis
okeefe58@yahoo.com
4 answers Last reply
More about backup

    I use Acronis True Image and backup to a much larger HD. If you didn't
    want to install another drive, you could always get an external USB HD and
    any good backup proggy would work. I happen to like Acronis because it
    works, it is intuitive and has a number of useful options.
    Heirloom, old and needs plenty of
    backup

    Heirloom wrote:
    > I use Acronis True Image and backup to a much larger HD. If you didn't
    > want to install another drive, you could always get an external USB HD and
    > any good backup proggy would work. I happen to like Acronis because it
    > works, it is intuitive and has a number of useful options.

    Hello, Heirloom!
    I use True Image
    [http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage] too, and I
    must say that I just love this program.
    Once my PC accidentally crashed, but before that I hade made an image
    of HDD, so I easily restored my system.
    Yes, it has very convenient and intuitive windows wizard, that makes
    utilization nice and fast.
    This software is wonderful for making backup.

    le_temp,
    Actually, I haven't found anyone using the program, as yet, that
    does not like it. I did a lot of research on the app before making the
    purchase. Found the usual gripes in some of the NG's and reviews (of
    course, you hear from the disgruntled long before those who are satisfied)
    and came to the conclusion that those having any sort of problems were
    victims of 'self-inflicted' wounds. Glad to hear you are enjoying the
    proggy, too. BTW, early on, I tested it by restoring about 15G on a RAID 0
    configuration and it worked to perfection. I'm sold.
    Heirloom, old and works for me

    <le_temp_de@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Heirloom wrote:
    >> I use Acronis True Image and backup to a much larger HD. If you didn't
    >> want to install another drive, you could always get an external USB HD
    >> and
    >> any good backup proggy would work. I happen to like Acronis because it
    >> works, it is intuitive and has a number of useful options.
    >
    > Hello, Heirloom!
    > I use True Image
    > [http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage] too, and I
    > must say that I just love this program.
    > Once my PC accidentally crashed, but before that I hade made an image
    > of HDD, so I easily restored my system.
    > Yes, it has very convenient and intuitive windows wizard, that makes
    > utilization nice and fast.
    > This software is wonderful for making backup.

    You should be able to network ME and XP PCs. See an XP newsgroup.
    The most common backup imagers are Ghost and TrueImage. Both will backup
    partitions across a network. The restoration is local however calling the
    network up as source of the image file.
    Since you have an older OS that still relies on msdos, and FAT filesystem,
    an older imaging program would surely work from floppy diskette or boot CD.
    You need an alternate partition (not C:) on same hard drive or another hard
    drive to save the backup to.

    "okeefe58" <okeefe58@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > i have windows ME on an old pc i use scrictly for old dos/95 games and
    dont
    > know where i'd be without it-so many games i've gotten on ebay just dont
    work
    > with xp--i dont have any ME disks/floppies and want to backup ME-if
    something
    > happens to it, i'm screwed--i seem to be awash in figureing out what to do
    as
    > i've looked at so many backup programs and i dont know if i'm just stupid
    or
    > what. they all seem hard to use--was also thinking of usb between that pc
    and
    > 200gb. xp pc, although i dont know if you can transfer between ME and
    XP---i
    > do have bootitng on the machine, and it offers slide,image,etc i'm
    thinking
    > that might be the easiest way--anybody got any ideas?
    >
    > dennis
    > okeefe58@yahoo.com

Backup Windows XP Windows